SiouxSports.com Forum

Sabres/Wild Game at the Ralph

RedFrog

I heard that the Sioux logo isn't at center ice... anyone been to practice that can confirm this? Any idea if it's just for this game... or is it for the season? I never was any good at being patient...

True, I was at practice this morning and center ice is Midcontinent Communications, I would assume that this is just for this game. The ice is set up as the NHL ice, which has extra lines behind the goal, and the blue line and red lines are farther apart. So they will have to redo the ice before the Sioux play.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wild won the game 2-1. For those of you at the game, how was it? Thanks.

Back from the game. It was very very very boring. Stafford got a nice ovation, played the entire game. Looked a bit tenative. Goehring dressed, sat on the bench the whole time. No idea on the attendence, but I would guess 8-9K. Like I said, very boring game. I can't wait to get some Fighting Sioux hockey in there!

Just got back... Attendance was 7,000 some. Decent sized crowd. Personally, I'm not a Wild or Sabre fan so it was kinda slow. In the second and the end of the third there were some great saves. I assume that since it's preseason they weren't checking as much as normal, because there was almost no checking... Stafford and the goalie (can't spell his name) took a picture with someone at the end of the game. Not too much in the line of cheering, but definitly fans from both teams.

I thought it was a pretty fun game. Attendance was better than I expected, and the game was a pretty decent pace for an exhibition. Stafford played a good deal of shifts, but didn't look 100%. Goering warmed the bench just fine, and Vanek got booed during introductions. There was really no penalties or stoppage, which made the game just a hair under 2 1/2 hours. There were a few missed goals and posts hit by both teams, which added some excitement. If Parrish would have gotten the in-between-the-legs goal, the game would have been amazing and would be SC Top Plays worthy. Plus I got a few autographs from Brad Bombardier, so all in all a great NHL exhibition game at the Ralph. I can't wait until OCT 7th!!!!!

I thought it was a pretty fun game. Attendance was better than I expected, and the game was a pretty decent pace for an exhibition. Stafford played a good deal of shifts, but didn't look 100%. Goering warmed the bench just fine, and Vanek got booed during introductions. There was really no penalties or stoppage, which made the game just a hair under 2 1/2 hours. There were a few missed goals and posts hit by both teams, which added some excitement. If Parrish would have gotten the in-between-the-legs goal, the game would have been amazing and would be SC Top Plays worthy. Plus I got a few autographs from Brad Bombardier, so all in all a great NHL exhibition game at the Ralph. I can't wait until OCT 7th!!!!!

I had fun, probably because of the beers, but hey, it was a good time. My girlfriend got to go on the ice during the first intermission with a chance to win a Sioux jersey!! This being my first Wild game, I will definetely go to more down in St. Paul this winter!

It was Pavel Demitra who tried to go between the legs.

I thought this was a great game, especially considering all of the top level guys weren't playing for either team, save a few. For those who say this game was boring, then you obviously weren't paying attention. I know that Fighting Sioux hockey is as exciting as it gets, but these were professionals, and there is a great difference between the two levels of play. Seeing those guys do what they are capable of doing, to me, is very exciting and entertaining. If this game was boring for you, maybe skill doesn't matter as much as excitement to you, i don't know. But for me, I always enjoy seeing professional hockey in person almost as much as a great Fighting Sioux victory.

I thought this was a great game, especially considering all of the top level guys weren't playing for either team, save a few. For those who say this game was boring, then you obviously weren't paying attention. I know that Fighting Sioux hockey is as exciting as it gets, but these were professionals, and there is a great difference between the two levels of play. Seeing those guys do what they are capable of doing, to me, is very exciting and entertaining. If this game was boring for you, maybe skill doesn't matter as much as excitement to you, i don't know. But for me, I always enjoy seeing professional hockey in person almost as much as a great Fighting Sioux victory.

Obviously there is a lot of skill, but the pro style of play is very boring. The Wild defensive style of play and the fact that many of the top players were out made the game worse. I was ice level, and there wasn't a difference in the speed of the game, as most pro games, the play is very controlled, better passing. The size of the players was noticeably bigger than college. How about seeing big John Scott again from Tech? He even had a black eye to make him look tougher. This was the 5th Wild game I've been to, I have been disappointed each time.

Obviously there is a lot of skill, but the pro style of play is very boring. The Wild defensive style of play and the fact that many of the top players were out made the game worse. I was ice level, and there wasn't a difference in the speed of the game, as most pro games, the play is very controlled, better passing. The size of the players was noticeably bigger than college. How about seeing big John Scott again from Tech? He even had a black eye to make him look tougher. This was the 5th Wild game I've been to, I have been disappointed each time.

Trust me, there's not much different in the UND "playbook" than any NHL club, especially with the recent NHL rule changes (no redline for passing). That is why UND players are coveted by NHL teams - UND players are more "NHL ready" than most NCAA players.

It's unfair to compare the "excitement" of a pre-season NHL with half the building full versus a typical UND home game.

Ok, I'm biased, but I don't think all NHL games are boring. I've never seen a Wild game that wasn't boring though.

It's all style of play. I've never seen New Jersey play either but their defensive style may make them like the Wild live: boring.

I watched Washington and Detroit square off a few years back and it certainly wasn't boring. It was back and forth hockey with great shots, great saves, great hits, and great goals. And this was the first place Wings taking on a poor Capitols team.

I hoped Buffalo's style of play would have made it more interesting, but apparently I was wrong.

Good news on the score though. They're now capable of 2 goals per game.

Wild Hockey: M E D I O C R E mediocre mediocre GOOOOOOOOOO MILD! ;)