SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v SUU

SiouxMD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the examples of dII's beating FCS/I-AA's in recent years, it's hard for me not to believe a top-5 dII team like UND shouldn't handle an unranked FCS team. If Freund's play in any way resembles the way it was against Humboldt, I see the Sioux winning quite handily. If he struggles, it could be a nailbiter.

With all the examples of dII's beating FCS/I-AA's in recent years, it's hard for me not to believe a top-5 dII team like UND shouldn't handle an unranked FCS team. If Freund's play in any way resembles the way it was against Humboldt, I see the Sioux winning quite handily. If he struggles, it could be a nailbiter.

Three reasons to be cautious:

Our pass defense hasn't been tested, and SUU seems to have the tools challenge it.

Away games are always more of a crapshoot.

What's the last time UND played at altitude? Mesa St at Grand Junction, CO, in 2003, which was a disaster. Cedar City is almost at 5900 ft.

Our pass defense hasn't been tested, and SUU seems to have the tools challenge it.

What's the last time UND played at altitude? Mesa St at Grand Junction, CO, in 2003, which was a disaster. Cedar City is almost at 5900 ft.

With the possibility of being hot and some what humid for high desert.

True. I just have a lot of faith in the UND offense to outscore most teams if there's a shootout.

True again. However, it almost seems there are more problems against "lesser" opponents such as Augie or SCSU, rather than UNO (two pretty good performances) or Northern Iowa.

That could be a problem. UND rarely seemed to play well in Greeley, either, although generally UNC was pretty good whenever the Sioux lost there. On the bright side, depth on offense is good, particularly with the offensive line depth being as good as it's been in many years. We may see more rotating than normal.

SUU is an average division IAA team, or FCS team... whichever. The QB Marshall threw 3 INTs against Montana and threw for a TD/INT ratio of 8/7 last season (not good). Marshall can run a bit, but I suspect that the Sioux defence will eat him up, as SUU gives up a good amount of sacks. RB Johnny Sanchez seems to be a power back, just assuming by his stats. Unless SUU has a giant O-line, I don't see him being a big time threat. All in all, this looks to be a fairly inexperienced offence. WR Gritton looks like he's legit but who knows.

I am not sold on UND's offence until they play a better team. Let's face it, Humboldt State is trash. Period. A good warm up, but not a great measuring stick for a team like SUU. The Sioux did have two weeks to prepare so I think UND will come out a little too rested, but with a good gameplan. The Sioux defence will need to protect against the pass to win this game and I foresee they will.

UND gets out of Cedar City with a dubya.

Sioux 28

TBirds 17

Anyone know if we can WATCH this game anywhere? Any TV coverage?

How do people think we'll stack up against this O? The heraldo made it sound like SUU runs the Urban Meyer spread option offense. I think our D can handle the run in that situation (since the 3-4 is set to stop the option). I am concerned about the pass D, though. We seem to be inexperienced and I believe this will be a totally different O to face. Does anyone else run something similar?

Thank goodness we've had two weeks to prepare and I'm excited to hear how our O does against a stiffer D.

SUU is a decent FCS team that I'm sure the UND players and staff are very excited to play. IMO, UND by 10 is a good line. The pass defense concerns me a little bit, but it think the offense should be able to outscore SUU. If it is a blow out I'll be a little surprised, but you never know.

Is this game on TV?!

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to the NDSU game... And if both games are on TV, I might as well just stay in GF and watch both games right....

Comne on down and join us in the west lot, I'll keep a few 22oz Fat Tires chilled for you. Look for the MCI style bus that says Rollin' Thunder on it and stop on over, always nice to have a few Sioux fans around.

Comne on down and join us in the west lot, I'll keep a few 22oz Fat Tires chilled for you. Look for the MCI style bus that says Rollin' Thunder on it and stop on over, always nice to have a few Sioux fans around.

Sweet! If I do decide to go down there for the game, I'll definitely have to stop by. I'll be wearing my Sioux apparel of course, since we're playing at the same time.... ha :angry: