SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v SUU

SiouxMD

I am a bit concerned about this weekend for the following reasons:

1. We weren't tested in our first game. Sure it was great to get the backups some quality playing time and Freund showed he can lead the offense, but the game was out of reach by the end of the first quarter. This weekend will be much, much different.

2. Rust is another concern. Lennon mentioned on Wednesday about "losing it" in practice on Wednesday and "saying some things I probably shouldn't have", which suggests that the players might have some bye week rust and might not be prepared for a long road trip like this, which is a bad sign for a team going on the road for the first time with a young defense and quarterback.

3. SUU looks like a team that is finally learning how to win games and is probably tired of losing after a 3-8 season in 2006. And they will have the home field advantage and the experience of having to deal with the heat and elevation on a regular basis.

This game has a lot of potential pitfalls and forks in the road that we will have to navigate if we are going to win.

Having said all of that, I think UND has a better team on paper, more and better athletes and the depth to handle the long road trip, the heat and the elevation. So much has been written about our defense being young and inexperienced that I think SUU might take them lightly. And no matter how "salty" the Thunderhawk's defense was against Montana last week, it won't be enough to shut down all of our weapons. If we don't turn the ball over and our young defense plays with energy and passion, I think we walk out of this weekend with a win. SUU will test us, but we will pass the test:

PREDICTION:

UND 35

SUU 24

And I wouldn't put much stock in Ryan Bakken picking us to lose, he does that all the time. If Bakken was psychic and therefore right all the time, our football program would be .500 at best every season! :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need big help! Will someone that is able to listen on the radio post updates on this board. I have moved from KFGO listen area and my work computer (the only computer I currently have) doesn't allow me to listen to any streams.

THANKS

I am sure that there will be a game thread since it is an away game and a pretty big one at that. Hopefully people will show up but I for one will be able to give updates.

Three reasons to be cautious:

Our pass defense hasn't been tested, and SUU seems to have the tools challenge it.

Away games are always more of a crapshoot.

What's the last time UND played at altitude? Mesa St at Grand Junction, CO, in 2003, which was a disaster. Cedar City is almost at 5900 ft.

As always, good call, UND92,96.

Then again, I was cautiously optimistic vs Humboldt. :D:huh:

SUU is a decent FCS team that I'm sure the UND players and staff are very excited to play. IMO, UND by 10 is a good line. The pass defense concerns me a little bit, but it think the offense should be able to outscore SUU. If it is a blow out I'll be a little surprised, but you never know.

SUU is NOT a decent FCS team. They haven't beaten a team in the current Great West since 2004 and the last time they played Stephen F Austin was in 2005 and lost 40-17. SUU straight up is a crappy football team. Just because they are playing a tough schedule doesn't mean they are good. I mean, how many coaches consider losing to Montana 37-17 a good thing?

SUU is NOT a decent FCS team. They haven't beaten a team in the current Great West since 2004 and the last time they played Stephen F Austin was in 2005 and lost 40-17. SUU straight up is a crappy football team. Just because they are playing a tough schedule doesn't mean they are good. I mean, how many coaches consider losing to Montana 37-17 a good thing?

Sheesh. You have a real problem with UND winning the game yesterday and the fans being happy about it, don't you? ropper said that before the game and judging by the way they kept the game at Montana close for much of the game, it wasn't a stretch to believe they were a decent team.

I had a great time in Cedar City with Omahasioux1 and his family! Omaha plans to make the trip yearly/every other year. The weather, in the evening, was absolutely perfect and not that bad earlier on. The sun was in our eyes the first half of the game but, oh well, we are the visitors. Lots of Sioux fans showed up, best guess was around 200. I lent my Sioux football jersey to Omaha's uncle. He liked it very much so I sold it to him. :huh: Good people, good fun. Thanks again!

The game was fun but then, it's always fun when we win. While in line to use the BR at half time, a young lady was going on about her team, SUU, being a great team and how they're losing to a DII team, for 'cripe's sake'. I said, "We're a very good team.' She said, 'Yes we are.' I replied, 'No, we're a very good team.' She turned around, looked down at my Fighting Sioux t-shirt, laughed and hurried into a stall. :D

• 2 months later...