SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

Really? I would take a Frozen Four appearance over either of those, especially when it includes ending a rival's season. This should be a poll.

I don't think UND had a better season than Minnesota last year just because they made it one game further. When the ultimate prize is the national title, losing in the quarter finals or losing in the semi finals just doesn't matter. The Gophers still hoisted two trophies last year.

And why is it that Sioux fans are so proud of making the last three frozen fours and losing them all when that's the exact same thing they were critical of the Gophers and Woog of doing in the 80's and 90's?

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hextall had a goal in their win against Vernon last night, they are now up 2-0 in the series. I would expect Joe Gleason to finish the season in Green Bay. I think what will be interesting is to see if Danny Mattson decides to play high school next year or play for Omaha.

BTW,

Joe Gleason makes the all-tournament team. Phillippi is the most outstanding player (an obvious choice). I think Phillippi would look real good in Kelly Green.

http://www.followthepuck.com/

As an aside, Edina's goalie made the team and I think that is a joke. Cashetta choked big time and his Frazee like carelessness sucked the life out of Edina.

USHL WEEKEND

gregoire, 1 assist friday in win, 4 PIM saturday

cichy, 1 assist friday win, 1 goal, 1 assist saturday win

lamoureux, 3 assists friday win, 2 asisst saturday win

fink, didnt play friday, 1 assist saturday, he seems to play saturdays and not fridays

blood, no points but played both games

finehage, no points but played both games

bruneteau, played both games this weekend

BCHL, as mentioned above. hextalls team is up 2-0 in first round playoffs

hextall, 1 goal friday win, 1 goal saturday

AJHL

eidsness, won first series now down 1-0 to drumheller, 3-2 overall in the playoffs as of now.

macwilliam, starts their series march 9th

Joe Gleason made minnesota all state second team

here are the all state selections from Brad

AP first team

F -- Zach Lehrke, Park Rapids

F -- Beau Hanowski, Little Falls

F -- Zach Budish, Edina (Minnesota recruit)

D -- Aaron Ness, Roseau (Minnesota recruit)

D -- Jake Gardiner, Minnetonka (Wisconsin recruit)

G -- Mike Lee, Roseau (St. Cloud State recruit)

Second team

F -- Jake Youso, International Falls (Minnesota recruit)

F -- Tyler Barnes, Burnsville (Wisconsin recruit)

F -- Ricky Litchfield, Mankato West

D -- Joe Gleason, Edina (UND recruit)

D -- Drew Olson, Brainerd (Minnesota-Duluth recruit)

G -- Joe Phillippi, Hill-Murray

Recruits Danny Mattson and Corey Fienhage are honorable mentions

I don't think UND had a better season than Minnesota last year just because they made it one game further. When the ultimate prize is the national title, losing in the quarter finals or losing in the semi finals just doesn't matter. The Gophers still hoisted two trophies last year.

And why is it that Sioux fans are so proud of making the last three frozen fours and losing them all when that's the exact same thing they were critical of the Gophers and Woog of doing in the 80's and 90's?

That is stupid logic. UND finished 3rd nationally last season by losing to B.C. in the Semis. That is higher than the Goofs finished.

That is stupid logic. UND finished 3rd nationally last season by losing to B.C. in the Semis. That is higher than the Goofs finished.

bucky's logic is great, imo.

It gives teams like SCSU some hope. Since where you lost in the playoffs doesn't matter, SCSU fans can hold their heads high and say "HEY! We may not have won any NCAA games yet, but we finished just as well as UMN and UND did those years, except the years that one of them won it all, of course!"

You see, making vs. not making the frozen four... It's kinda different.

Regardless of the logic, you still didn't address his second point regarding some (most?) Sioux fans being hypocrites; Woog's teams were endlessly ripped for not winning the big one but generally coming close. Now the Sioux, who were the clear-cut No. 1 team in the nation back in October and are obviously red-hot right now, have recently done very well during the regular season and league playoffs (though they haven

Also, if UND finished third last season, what place did Maine finish in? :D

Your missing the point Both Maine and UND finished 3rd nationally because they don't have a third place game anymore.

your team should know that since you have been 2nd or 3rd enough times.

You can slice it any way you want but the last three season UND finished higher than the Goofs.

Regardless of the logic, you still didn't address his second point regarding some (most?) Sioux fans being hypocrites; Woog's teams were endlessly ripped for not winning the big one but generally coming close. Now the Sioux, who were the clear-cut No. 1 team in the nation back in October and are obviously red-hot right now, have recently done very well during the regular season and league playoffs (though they haven

I see Cardinals point is we all tortured Woog for not winning the "Big One" and now we accept it because Hak hasn't been able to seal the deal yet, I believe getting to the Frozen Four three straight times is quite a feat in itself but he needs to win one to get that monkey off his back. For any team to have the Sioux's type of success playing in the WCHA is quite an accomplishment.

This is not a complicated issue. Sioux fans, Gopher fans, almost all fans, tend to be hypocritical when comparing their team's accomplishments to others. Big surprise. Now, can we get this thread back on track?

Penticton lost their playoff game last night, 3-2 in OT, but Hextall had a goal and was the 2nd star.

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/hockey_boxSc...p;gameID=537880

Woog's teams were endlessly ripped for not winning the big one but generally coming close.

If Sioux fans had their way, Cardinal, Wooger would still be coaching your team! Woog's team were endlessly ripped by Gopher fans and the Twin Cities media for not winning the big one. I don't think Sioux fans had anything to do with it, although the Sioux winning a title in 1997 certainly helped bring about Doug's demise as head coach.

By the way, I met Doug Woog two years ago at Joe Senser's in Bloomington and we had a nice chat about the Sioux/Gopher rivalry. I genuinely respect the guy.

I see Cardinals point is we all tortured Woog for not winning the "Big One" and now we accept it because Hak hasn't been able to seal the deal yet, I believe getting to the Frozen Four three straight times is quite a feat in itself but he needs to win one to get that monkey off his back. For any team to have the Sioux's type of success playing in the WCHA is quite an accomplishment.

You're right. If UND makes the Frozen Four this season, anything less than a national championship should be reason enough to fire Dave Hakstol.

In 42 years at Penn State, Joe Paterno has exactly two national titles.

In 28 years at Duke, Coach K has exactly three national titles.

In 24 years at Michigan, Red Berenson has exactly two national titles.

In 36 years at Clarkson, Bowling Green, and Boston College, Jerry York has exactly two national titles.

In 130 total years of coaching, these men have won a totel of 9 national championships. Clearly, they all need to be fired.

You're right. If UND makes the Frozen Four this season, anything less than a national championship should be reason enough to fire Dave Hakstol.

In 36 years at Clarkson, Bowling Green, and Boston College, Jerry York has exactly two national titles.

In 130 total years of coaching, these men have won a totel of 9 national championships. Clearly, they all need to be fired.

i thought this was a thread about UND recruits?

I don't believe I was calling for Hakstols head just acknowledging the Gophers fans views. Making it to three straight frozen fours is quite a feat in its self but you only get so many kicks at the can and he needs to win one to remove said monkey. I am also sure lots of teams would like to have the success Hak has had since taking over.