SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it amazing that Yellow Bird has been able to write about "incidents on campus" for so many years, but has never, ever once provided a SINGLE example. Nor do the UND police or Grand Forks police have any incident reports on hand that validate what she is stating as fact. Keeping in mind that her own newspaper has never followed up on any of her accusations. Wouldn't someone at the Herald say, "Doreen, those are some pretty strong accusations you're making, would you care sharing with our news department what exactly you're refering to?" And to compare His Horse is Thunder to Gov. Hoeven is laughable, calling them both spokesmen. One ignores the wishes of the majority he represents while the other carries out the wishes of those he represents. The Herald has been made to look foolish where Doreen Yellow Bird is concerned for many years. Her writings go unchecked in that newsroom. That's really sad, because all you really have at the end of the day is your credibility.

From Buckyland ....Sioux name should remain

Some things in sports just don’t make sense to me.

For example, how is a team nickname like the Fighting Sioux offensive, but the name Redskins or a logo such as the Cleveland Indians’ is not?

Struggling to find answers? So am I.

Just last week, a lawsuit was settled between the North Dakota Board of Higher Education and the NCAA regarding the University of North Dakota’s use of the Sioux tribal name and logo. The school found out that they have three years to either gain the tribe’s approval to use the “Fighting Sioux” name or else they will have to get rid of it.

Not to bore you with historical facts in a sports column, but at least a little bit of background information is necessary to understand the terms of the dispute. The Sioux tribe, also known as the Dakota at one point, called several states home, including Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and North and South Dakota. Many famous and important Native Americans were members of the Sioux, including Chief Sitting Bull and Chief Crazy Horse. Clearly, the Sioux played an important role in American history.

In my opinion, no. There is nothing wrong with the majority of team names that use Native American tribes, and the Sioux are no exception. When teams chose a mascot, they often pick one that is a tough or fierce competitor (except for maybe teams like the Minnesota Golden Gophers, whose mascot looks more like a chipmunk). In doing so, the person or people being used in the nickname or mascot are being honored as such. The only names or mascots I take issue with are the Redskins and Indians, neither of which do any merit in honoring or respecting Native Americans.

In reading the settlement agreement, I would like to discuss the section that discusses UND's options in case we decide to forgoe using the Fighting Sioux nickname.

Some have said that the agreement mandates using a new nickname and logo. When I read it, I can see how others get that understanding. I don't think it mandates a new nickname, however, I think it's just the terminology used.

I think if UND decides to just go with the University of North Dakota, and puts something like that on the uni's, I think that qualifies as a "logo". Therefore, I don't know that a nickname is required along with that logo.

I think when the settlement talks about "If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo..." I think that refers to UND deciding to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname and/or logo even if the tribes refuse approval. I don't believe that requires a new nickname.

I still think UND can go without either if they wish.

http://www.startribune.com/503/v-print/story/1524478.html

I wonder if we had more money we could have waited and gotten a better settlement (more years to gain tribe approval?)

My understanding is that the fund was "pay as you go", with some pretty solid backers who pledged to pay whatever costs/fees were incurred, so the fact there is little/no money left is not surprising.

• 3 weeks later...

Editorial -- UND should begin name transition

We applaud new North Dakota University System Chancellor Bill Goetz in his desire to resolve the University of North Dakota nickname and logo controversy sooner than later.

Given the wording included in the settlement between UND and the NCAA, we unfortunately also encourage Goetz and UND to begin an effort to select a new nickname and logo.

The settlement that was reached requires UND to reach an agreement with the state’s two Sioux tribes to continue use of the nickname and logo within three years. Even if an agreement is reached, however, the settlement allows for either one of the tribes to reverse its decision, at which time the nickname and logo could no longer be used.

We cannot support the idea of putting the UND administration on a yo-yo, waiting for the winds to change on tribal lands to prompt one of the tribes to back away from the original agreement. No administration should constantly have to look over its shoulder in this regard.

The truth about the NCAA finding the UND nickname and logo to be “hostile and abusive” is political correctness gone flying off a buffalo jump.

It seems that former backers of the Sioux name are for speeding up the process now.

NCAA Statement on Settlement of University of North Dakota Mascot Lawsuit

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, November 19, 2007

Contact

Bob Williams

Managing Director of Public and Media Relations

317/917-6117

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA recognizes the University of North Dakota

NCAA Statement on Settlement of University of North Dakota Mascot Lawsuit

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, November 19, 2007

Contact

Bob Williams

Managing Director of Public and Media Relations

317/917-6117

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA recognizes the University of North Dakota

Absolutely - get it done before someone suggests something stupid like a naming contest, or some inane, transgendered, neutral-in-every-respect, blandishment such as "golden eagles", "sundogs", "force of the north", "swamp rats", or "devil dogs". Drop it now and wait for X number of years for something suitable to arise - if it doesn't that would be fine also.
Hee hee. You're forgetting the recent trend to pluralize each name with "z" rather than "s". E.G., Sundogz, Swamp Ratz.... :D

But on the subject of "Golden Eagles": when Marquette dropped "Warriors" a few years back, they adopted "Golden Eagles". While that was dumb, the even dumber idea was to adopt "Gold" as a nickname. (Why change? Uh, the Golden Eagles stuff wasn't selling and people are wearing homemade "Warriors" gear). The reaction was so swift to "Gold" that it was never used during the school year. This despite the assurances from the school that "people will get used to it..."

The folks at Marquette still haven't quite grasped the simple fact that people will not buy what they don't want. I would hope that your school learns a lesson from them.

I just had an inspiration: Change our colors to Black and White, adopt the nickname "Zebraz", and get new uniforms with vertical black and white stripes. We could officiate our own games while we play. Let's not pass up such a great opportunity. Who needs home field, home court, or home ice - we would have "home rules".

I just had an inspiration: Change our colors to Black and White, adopt the nickname "Zebraz", and get new uniforms with vertical black and white stripes. We could officiate our own games while we play. Let's not pass up such a great opportunity. Who needs home field, home court, or home ice - we would have "home rules".

Would we have to wear dark glasses and carry a white cane as well? :D

I don't understand the settlement. Why do we have to have two tribes agree? Why do they have the option to pull their support any ol' time they please or we don't please?

Retire the name. Doesn't matter. The fans will be wearing the Fighting Sioux name and logo, yelling 'Sioux' at the end of the National Anthem and Yeah Sioux Sioux/Sioux Yeah Yeah as long as I live.