SiouxSports.com Forum

APP STATE BEATS MICHIGAN!

NDSUFREAK10

If they were in the FBS, Application State, before today's game would be ranked in the range of 50 or so, just like the teams below. Would these teams be capable of beating Michigan on AGS? Certainly. The people that say this is a miracle win know nothing about college football and the FCS. Appalachian State is a very good team.

41 Texas A&M

42 Purdue

43 Missouri

44 Pittsburgh

45 Wake Forest

46 Virginia

47 Oklahoma State

48 Kansas State

49 NC State

And DK, you don't deserve to even have an opinion.

App State is very good and proved it today.

However, I'm torn by this. I see FBS (DI-A) slipping as showboating and big hits are more important than fundamentals and wrapping up tackles. This to me shows how some of the mighty are slipping. Then again, torn still, ...

Do we talk about this weekend's performances of Youngstown State, FIU, Weber State, Western Kentucky, SoCar State, Northeastern, ... :angry:

College football is becoming teams that play the game the right way and teams that spend more time worrying about all wrong things.

App State played it the right way today. Michigan, not so much.

PS - DII champ GVSU ended last season ranked higher than App State! :angry:

App State is very good and proved it today.

However, I'm torn by this. I see FBS (DI-A) slipping as showboating and big hits are more important than fundamentals and wrapping up tackles. This to me shows how some of the mighty are slipping. Then again, torn still, ...

Do we talk about this weekend's performances of Youngstown State, FIU, Weber State, Boise State, Western Kentucky, ... :)

College football is becoming teams that play the game the right way and teams that spend more time worrying about all wrong things.

App State played it the right way today. Michigan, not so much.

PS - DII champ GVSU ended last season ranked higher than App State! :angry:

I'm sure that ranking was right on! :angry:

Well that ranking (Massey) had WWU (if they'd be DI-AA at the time) at about 38 at the end of last season and UCD at 12.

WWU just beat UCD.

So which is it? Like Herd says, a translated (because of different levels) rankings 40-ish can beat a rankings top 10-er, or not. Do we believe the rankings, or not? Or just selectively to make one's case?

PS - "second-tier" .... ouch.

Well that ranking (Massey) had WWU (if they'd be DI-AA at the time) at about 38 at the end of last season and UCD at 12.

WWU just beat UCD.

So which is it? Like Herd says, a translated (because of different levels) rankings 40-ish can beat a rankings top 10-er, or not. Do we believe the rankings, or not? Or just selectively to make one's case?

PS - "second-tier" .... ouch.

From Kenneth Massey himself when asked about the accuracy of his own rankings between divisions compared to within divisions:

Not as accurate due to limited mingling between the divisions, and lopsided matchups when they do play. Divisions do tend to separate fairly well, but I suspect ratings for good lower division teams are slightly inflated.

It is a 2nd tier. That's not an insult or a putdown, it is a fact. And I LOVED hearing about Cal-Davis losing to Western Washington. Nothing against Cal-Davis in particular, but it's funny because Bison zealots seem to have started cheerleading the entire I-AA division in their games against D2 competition.

Then why are you moving up if dii is where it's at?

over here in North Carolina, we've known for YEARS that ASU was an amazing team that never got any attention. For them, this attention after today has been long awaited. 2 easy national 1-AA titles in a row. plus all the good seasons before....it's curious why they aren't D-1A yet.

but look at another game today. (ok, so this is a personal side note lol, as this is my school)

East Carolina University vs. Virginia Tech. Obviously there were some strong emotions going into the game today, and I think VT let it get the best of them. Instead of riding the emotion of the crowd and team, they faltered. A VERY strong defensive team normally, VT gave up more yards and TOP than you would expect of a top tier ACC team to give up to a bottom of the 1A C-USA team. ECU was up 7-3 with only about 3 mins left in the half, and then VT finally got a touchdown. In the end, VT ended up winning. ECU gave them the game with all of their penalties (11 total, most of those false starts). VT gave up 4 turnovers (1 interception, the first play of the game....and 3 fumbles) and their QB was sacked 4 times by ECU's defense. ECU had 1 turnover (an interception run in for a touchdown) and no sacks. but again, that mean't nothing.

but here is another fact to remember with all of that: ECU's starting quarterback was suspended, so ECU was using 3 quarterbacks with absolutely 0 experience in a real college game environment even before. The started, Brett Clay (who happened to play QB at my fiance's HS) was good, but his focus on the air kept him pinned mostly. When ECU changed to their backup (i forget his name now) they went crazy. they tore through VTs defense, more than you would expect. He ran alot himself, and did mostly ground attack. But, then again, i think he went like 5/6 or 7/8 or something like that with passes.

What's frustrating is that ECU was so good today. They didn't let the VT reputation get in their way of showing just how good of a team they can be. Just sucks they got so many penalties to keep them in check.

was a good game to watch, but in the end, VT probably had to prevail, based on everything in the last few months. hats off to them for playing it out and not giving up, but seriously, hats off to ECU for showing VT and the nation that they aren't the team they used to be. the 2 seasons prior to last season they had a total of 3 wins between both years. Last year, when skip holtz came in, they had 7 wins, and this year looks to be a good season ahead.

ok, that is all haha.....

over here in North Carolina, we've known for YEARS that ASU was an amazing team that never got any attention. For them, this attention after today has been long awaited. 2 easy national 1-AA titles in a row. plus all the good seasons before....it's curious why they aren't D-1A yet.

but look at another game today. (ok, so this is a personal side note lol, as this is my school)

East Carolina University vs. Virginia Tech. Obviously there were some strong emotions going into the game today, and I think VT let it get the best of them. Instead of riding the emotion of the crowd and team, they faltered. A VERY strong defensive team normally, VT gave up more yards and TOP than you would expect of a top tier ACC team to give up to a bottom of the 1A C-USA team. ECU was up 7-3 with only about 3 mins left in the half, and then VT finally got a touchdown. In the end, VT ended up winning. ECU gave them the game with all of their penalties (11 total, most of those false starts). VT gave up 4 turnovers (1 interception, the first play of the game....and 3 fumbles) and their QB was sacked 4 times by ECU's defense. ECU had 1 turnover (an interception run in for a touchdown) and no sacks. but again, that mean't nothing.

but here is another fact to remember with all of that: ECU's starting quarterback was suspended, so ECU was using 3 quarterbacks with absolutely 0 experience in a real college game environment even before. The started, Brett Clay (who happened to play QB at my fiance's HS) was good, but his focus on the air kept him pinned mostly. When ECU changed to their backup (i forget his name now) they went crazy. they tore through VTs defense, more than you would expect. He ran alot himself, and did mostly ground attack. But, then again, i think he went like 5/6 or 7/8 or something like that with passes.

What's frustrating is that ECU was so good today. They didn't let the VT reputation get in their way of showing just how good of a team they can be. Just sucks they got so many penalties to keep them in check.

was a good game to watch, but in the end, VT probably had to prevail, based on everything in the last few months. hats off to them for playing it out and not giving up, but seriously, hats off to ECU for showing VT and the nation that they aren't the team they used to be. the 2 seasons prior to last season they had a total of 3 wins between both years. Last year, when skip holtz came in, they had 7 wins, and this year looks to be a good season ahead.

ok, that is all haha.....

Because they sponsor 63 scholarhips rather than 85. There is no rule that says you can't have a better team with 63 scholarships than another team with 85 scholarships. You choose your scholarship level and your subdivision. The dribble that ESPN is saying about attendance levels for 4 years is total BS. You choose your scholarhsip levels. If it was about attendance then NDSU would be FBS next year with an average attendance for 4 years above 15,000.

If they were in the FBS, Application State, before today's game would be ranked in the range of 50 or so, just like the teams below. Would these teams be capable of beating Michigan on AGS? Certainly. The people that say this is a miracle win know nothing about college football and the FCS. Appalachian State is a very good team.

41 Texas A&M

42 Purdue

43 Missouri

44 Pittsburgh

45 Wake Forest

46 Virginia

47 Oklahoma State

48 Kansas State

49 NC State

I whole-heartedly agree with this post. Appalachian State has the skilled players to be a power: especially QB Armanti Edwards. An outstanding QB, more than any other position, can raise the level of a whole team.

When lower IA teams (from the MAC, for example) have made an impact, they've always had QB's that the BCS schools overlooked:

Chad Pennington - Marshall

Byron Leftwich - Marshall

Ben Roethlisberger - Miami (Oh)

Charlie Frye - Akron

Omar Jacobs - Bowling Green

Now, Kent State (23-14 over Iowa State) with Julian Edelman at QB and Bowling Green (32-31 over the Gophers) with Tyler Sheehan, may be other examples to watch.

East Carolina University vs. Virginia Tech. Obviously there were some strong emotions going into the game today, and I think VT let it get the best of them.

It's ironic that in a state with 4 BCS football schools, the two schools with the most fervent football fan bases don't have BCS status and are far from NC's media centers: East Carolina and Appalachian St.

It was a great game I remember almost 30 years ago when FAMU upset UM in Tallahassee & this was after FAMU won the D-1AA National Championship the following year Miami tore FAMU a new one but it was embrassing to UM that year for FAMU to do that. As for yesterday's game I will never see another game like that well at least not in this lifetime & I have seen some good ones over the years. Oh yeah Western KY in a way they got a break when lightening start showing up the game was shorten & that was a good thing because it would have been a whole lot worst. After all we're talking about the SWAMP & it's hard if you're the visiting team to win there. As for Tim Tebow, he didn't do too bad ran for a TD & threw for 4 TD'S. Now yesterday's game between ASU & Michigan, this game in my book will go down as one if not the greatest upsets in college football in the last 40 to 45 years. GO SIOUX & GO GATORS

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973 (HOCKEY)