SiouxSports.com Forum

APP STATE BEATS MICHIGAN!

NDSUFREAK10

Waking Up Sleeping Dogs

After hearing today about Appalachian State football merchandisde becoming a big seller in Columbus, Ohio following the football win over Michigan last Saturday, I couldn't help but be reminded of the fans in Grand Forks who bought Holy Cross game-worn jerseys from the Crusaders' upset of Minnesota in the 2006 NCAA tournament.

The more I thought about it, I couldn't help but wonder if the Gophers had it worse that night in Grand Forks than the Wolverine football players did last Saturday.

The Gophers, on the other hand, played Holy Cross at Ralph Engelstad Arena, with the Sioux set to face Michigan in the next game. Of course, the North Dakota fans showed up early to the Ralph to boo the Gophers and cheer the Crusaders. When Tyler McGregor scored the game-winner for Holy Cross in overtime, not only did the Gophers have to accept the fact they had suffered the biggest upset in NCAA hockey history, but they had to do so with an arena full of North Dakota fans jumping up and down and cheering, with Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" blaring over the PA, and the entire building cheering and celebrating the Gophers' defeat.

Imagine if Michigan's embarrassment this past Saturday had taken place in Ohio Stadium in front of a crowd full of Buckeye fans. Scary, no?