SiouxSports.com Forum

No more cheerleaders at the ralph?

proudsioux

The BAND belongs in the lower bowl. Sure there are a lot of cheering students but there are a lot of students who only go to the games to be seen, to make contacts for future jobs, to get drunk, to ogle the cheerleaders, to make out and/or to socialize. The BAND shouldn't have to give up their seats to students who go to the games and know nothing or care nothing about what's going on on the ice.

:(

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i was under the assumption that lower bowl tickets for something like the frozen four would cost more than nosebleeds. But since I was unable to go, it was just a guess.

I have changed my mind about student seating after the 5 years in the new rink. Im not a student but I think they should get a few of the lower bowl seats and the band should also be on the lower bowl. The atmosphere at the new ralph is not as good as in the old. The students get the crowd going and off there butts. Most people just sit and wait for the students to get us going. I dont like them standing the whole game but if we give alittle so will they.Well Im at it I really hate the make over scheme they have where they take someone out of the crowd and do a complete make over, then they put them on the screen with 2 to 3 minutes to go in a close game the crowd is getting in to it and then they pop on the main screen with this makeover person at the worst possible time

I love the Sioux but I will have to say I have been very disappointed with the atmosphere in the REA. Because I live in Boston, I follow Hockey East as a season ticket holder to BU. I go to every BU game dressed in SIOUX. Each year I make a pilgrimage to the REA to watch the Sioux play and I have to say each year I get more disappointed. The atmosphere in the Ralph can be at times like be like watching a Chess match with tons of commercials.

When I compare the two, the crowd at the Agganis is twice as loud ( it

I love the Sioux but I will have to say I have been very disappointed with the atmosphere in the REA. Because I live in Boston, I follow Hockey East as a season ticket holder to BU. I go to every BU game dressed in SIOUX. Each year I make a pilgrimage to the REA to watch the Sioux play and I have to say each year I get more disappointed. The atmosphere in the Ralph can be at times like be like watching a Chess match with tons of commercials.

When I compare the two, the crowd at the Agganis is twice as loud ( it

Seriously, there was mud from someones shoe on a handful of seats by me all year, and never was it wiped off during the 5-6 months of hockey!

You should have seen how filthy the arena was when I stopped in one day to watch my kid at hockey camp last summer.

So, did anyone call the Ralph and say, 'Clean up this mess!!!' :(

Really shouldn't have to do that. They have people go through the bleachers after every game and clean up the mess left behind of empty cups, beverage containers, nachos, popcorn, etc. They should be able to see that the mud on the seats needs to be cleaned up.

Now, I do remember an article in the newspaper a few months ago (maybe a year, don't remember) about a person who found a checkbook/wallet under a seat at the Ralph. It was lost there quite a while before that, so why did it go undetected for such a long time if the place is actually being cleaned?

As an employer, I am well aware of the "nobody told me to do that" syndrome. That's why, if I want the lobby to be swept under the benches, it has to be on the checklist of things to do. That's pretty sad.

The mud on the seats is probably a case of, "I'm supposed to clean up the empty containers and garbage under the seats, not clean up the mud on the seats". ;)

I agree. No one should have to tell them to clean the arena. Unfortunately, since the joint is not getting cleaned, someone has to tell them. As I write my check out for my season tickets, I believe they have the money to pay for cleaning.

If the Boy and Girl Scouts are cleaning for money, they should be fired. Don't care if they're cute, sweet, have cookies and are honest, brave and will help me across the street!! Fire their azzes and hire a cleaning company that has accountability!!

*ooo man, I gotta get me some coffee*

A lot of different organizations do the cleaning throughout the year as fundraisers. It is much cheaper and more efficient to clean that way rather than paying a regular staff. It could easily double the cleaning bill to hire regular employees. That money would come out of the Athletic Department budget. But they are not professional cleaning people so they don't do as good a job. Also, it is difficult to see things at times because they turn down the lighting during the cleaning, that is why things can get missed. The full time employees of the REA should eventually find these things, but sometimes they don't. So, if you see something that needs to be done, let people know about it instead of letting it go.

A lot of different organizations do the cleaning throughout the year as fundraisers. It is much cheaper and more efficient to clean that way rather than paying a regular staff. It could easily double the cleaning bill to hire regular employees. That money would come out of the Athletic Department budget. But they are not professional cleaning people so they don't do as good a job. Also, it is difficult to see things at times because they turn down the lighting during the cleaning, that is why things can get missed. The full time employees of the REA should eventually find these things, but sometimes they don't. So, if you see something that needs to be done, let people know about it instead of letting it go.

We have the most beautiful ($110 million) hockey arena in the world and the cleaning is done as 'fundraising'?!? :) And by all accounts, they're not doing a good job. Sorry, there's something wrong here. The cost of cleaning it should come out of the budget. My FSC fee just doubled this year! The Ralph is not just used as a Fighting Sioux hockey arena. It is marketed for other events as well. If I was a promoter and came to check out where my event was going to take place, I would NOT be impressed by a dirty venue!!

As has been mentioned, fans should not have to tell the management that the place needs cleaning. They should be inspecting it and should see for themselves that the place isn't cleaned properly! Maybe new management is needed?!?

We have the most beautiful ($110 million) hockey arena in the world and the cleaning is done as 'fundraising'?!? :) And by all accounts, they're not doing a good job. Sorry, there's something wrong here. The cost of cleaning it should come out of the budget. My FSC fee just doubled this year! The Ralph is not just used as a Fighting Sioux hockey arena. It is marketed for other events as well. If I was a promoter and came to check out where my event was going to take place, I would NOT be impressed by a dirty venue!!

As has been mentioned, fans should not have to tell the management that the place needs cleaning. They should be inspecting it and should see for themselves that the place isn't cleaned properly! Maybe new management is needed?!?

I haven't been in the the arena since the Sweden and USA woman's game but I didn't think the arena was that dirty.

Must not be getting cleaned during the off season? It was always clean when I sat at my seat in the REA.

Hockeymom saw it in the after season, laupsided, I think, was referring to it during the season as was Siouxmama. I haven't been to a home game since the playoffs and have to admit, I was too excited to finally be home for some hockey (oh yeah ,and to see the kids) to notice if the place was dirty or not. My comments on the place being dirty were made in response to their posts.

I have seen very few problems over the last several years, and most of them were small. The same cleaning program has been used since the building opened and the Alerus Center does the same thing. They bring in a crew of at least 20-25 people for about 4 hours to clean after an event, and longer after bigger events like the Minnesota series. They make 3 passes through the arena. The first pass they pick up garbage and empty bottles. The second pass is to sweep the floor. The 3rd pass is to mop the floor. And that is just in the arena area. The regular staff handles the concourse and the bathrooms. It would probably cost $12-15 per hour for regular employees if you include taxes and benefits. That would run somewhere in the $8-1,200 range for each event, double that for a weekend of hockey. And you would have to find at least 30-40 people willing to work either very late at night or early the next morning just about every weekend just to get enough people that would show up.

This isn't unique to Grand Forks. They do similar cleaning programs in a lot of places around the country. Some groups do a better job than others. The staff should be responsible for the cleanliness of the building. They are supposed to check on the job before people leave. But it is very easy to miss something, especially in the shadows under the seats when the lights are down low. And they turn the lights down low to save more money. The last number I heard was approximately $30,000 per month for utilities (heat and lights) during the winter and that was a couple of years ago.

This process works great for both sides. It solves a major headache for the arenas and saves them some money. And it gives a lot of non-profit groups an excellent fundraiser so they don't have to go out and sell us more garbage that we don't need (how many tins of popcorn, or pizzas or flower bulbs do you need). No, they don't do as good a job as professionals would do. And some of the groups probably shouldn't be asked back. But it is a good solution that is normally effective. But again, it is a big building and things can get missed. If you see something that needs to be done, especially if it is there 2 games in a row, let some of the staff know so they can get it fixed.

i dont think they practice in there. Only one day a week they rent ice for an hour or two.

They still pay. It is part of the UND Athletic Cheerleading Budget...(Ice Time)

I just hired a couple of UND Cheerleaders for summer work, they were told to study the budget and see where they could cut costs, so they could save their program. I was told it was a noticeable chunk on money. They told the Athletic Director, they think they can get Ice Time at the Purpur or the Blue Line club for free. Some teach lessons there and feel they can work it out.

Budget can not be that big...? In St Louis they shared 2 rooms for 11 girls, Talk about a bathroom schedule...?