SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Bball Recruiting Update

wcbsas

Is there any?

Who signed in the early period?

Anyone sign in the spring so far?

6'7" forward Pat Mitchell from Des Moines signed in the fall. I believe UND will sign a couple of junior college players this spring, although none have signed LOI's yet as far as I know. With just one senior on last season's team, there's not a lot of scholarship money available barring departures by players with eligibility remaining.

I believe UND will sign a couple of junior college players this spring, although none have signed LOI's yet as far as I know. With just one senior on last season's team, there's not a lot of scholarship money available barring departures by players with eligibility remaining.

A reported JC signing from the Fergus Falls Daily Journal

Minnesota State CTC point guard Dustin Monsebroten has committed to playing basketball for Division I University of North Dakota this fall.

The MSCTC sophomore captain, a native of Newfolden, earned All-Region 13 and All MCCC honors as he averaged 16.7 points and broke the school record for steals with 72. Monsebroten was fourth in the nation in assists with 7.7 a game.

• 3 weeks later...
Dumas to play basketball for Fighting Sioux

Could the Sioux have found a hidden gem?

North Dakota is still a Division II school for basketball. But the plan is for the Fighting Sioux, who count Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson among their alumni, to go independent in 2008-09 and then join the Mid-Continent Conference the following year.

Interesting.

I'm sure they mistook us for NDSU...or maybe they know something we don't :ohmy:

I'm sure thats what coaches at UND and USD are telling recruits right now. Nobody is going to go recruit telling kids "Theres a chance you may never compete for a championship of any kind for your entire career".

I'm sure thats what coaches at UND and USD are telling recruits right now. Nobody is going to go recruit telling kids "Theres a chance you may never compete for a championship of any kind for your entire career".

I think the key word is plan, but you are probably pretty close to right, aff.

* Gutter won't return for his senior year;

I'm disappointed that Gutter won't be back. He showed alot of improvement last year as a junior, and was physical inside presence on a team that doesn't have much of that. :D Hopefully Koenig will be fully healthy next season.

I'm disappointed that Gutter won't be back. He showed alot of improvement last year as a junior, and was physical inside presence on a team that doesn't have much of that. :D Hopefully Koenig will be fully healthy next season.

I have to think that quite a lot will be expected from Derek Benter next year. He was listed as 6'8", 225 this past year as a red-shirt, so hopefully he'll be up to 235 or more by October. He was a good tight end/wide receiver in high school, so I assume he has above-average athletic ability for a big kid. He also apparently has some shooting range, so hopefully he can create a matchup problem for many teams. I'm still concerned about how the Sioux will be able to defend bigger teams like USD, but I also foresee the Sioux being very difficult to guard.

I have to think that quite a lot will be expected from Derek Benter next year. He was listed as 6'8", 225 this past year as a red-shirt, so hopefully he'll be up to 235 or more by October. He was a good tight end/wide receiver in high school, so I assume he has above-average athletic ability for a big kid. He also apparently has some shooting range, so hopefully he can create a matchup problem for many teams. I'm still concerned about how the Sioux will be able to defend bigger teams like USD, but I also foresee the Sioux being very difficult to guard.

I agree that alot will be expected from Benter. I also think/hope that Ben Lenhertz will have a bigger role this year. He was somewhat effective in his limited playing time this past year. I really feel that to succeed in the NCC, you have to have an inside presence. Koenig can provide, and Gutter did. Just look at USD last season, big physical team, had alot of success. I like the way our program is headed, but I also feel that we are getting somewhat small. Youmens, Bledsoe, Dumas, Monsebroten, and presumably Doyle will all be fighting over minutes this upcoming season. Hopefully Dumas or Monsebroten can emerge as a true and steady point guard for this team for the future, something UND has lacked over the past few years.

I agree that alot will be expected from Benter. I also think/hope that Ben Lenhertz will have a bigger role this year. He was somewhat effective in his limited playing time this past year. I really feel that to succeed in the NCC, you have to have an inside presence. Koenig can provide, and Gutter did. Just look at USD last season, big physical team, had alot of success. I like the way our program is headed, but I also feel that we are getting somewhat small. Youmens, Bledsoe, Dumas, Monsebroten, and presumably Doyle will all be fighting over minutes this upcoming season. Hopefully Dumas or Monsebroten can emerge as a true and steady point guard for this team for the future, something UND has lacked over the past few years.

I wonder how long it will take for Sioux fans to realize that Koening scholarship could have been put to better use.

• 2 months later...

Sioux land junior college point guard

UND men's basketball coach Brian Jones and assistants Ryan Moody and Chris Johnson have seen a lot of the United States this summer, looking for players to round out the 2007-08 Sioux roster.

“We've been on the road a lot,” Jones said.

Their trips have produced the signing of one player. And it's possible another recruit will sign with the Sioux next week.

And they're hoping their trips to summer all-star tournaments in such places as Las Vegas and Orlando will lay the recruiting foundation for UND's move to Division I starting with the 2008-09 season.

The Sioux recently signed Darius Joseph, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound point guard from Lamar (Colo.) Community College, to a letter of intent. The signing of Joseph is expected to give the Sioux considerable size and athleticism in the backcourt.

UND considers him an impact player.

Still looking for one more big guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that this is new news, but UND recruit Griffan Callahan chose UND, despite getting interest from some DI schools including South Dakota State where his brother Garrett plays. Link

Seneca High School senior-to-be basketball standout Griffan Callahan has drawn the attention of a pair of Division I schools.

Both Western Illinois and South Dakota State -- where 2006 SHS graduate and older brother Garrett signed -- have expressed interest in Callahan.

Last season, the 6-foot-4 forward averaged 11 points per game for the undefeated Class A state champion Fighting Irish, and received third-team all-state accolades from the Associated Press and Illinois Basketball Coaches Association.

Anyone have any idea on the last potential "big guy" that Coach Jones may bring in before school starts? I believe there is still one scholarship available.

Article about Sioux Recruit Denny Dumas.

The truest measure of Dumas' dedication to the game?

His parents bought him a new hoop for his birthday this year because, in his drive to perfect his left-handed layups, he wore down and eventually broke the left side of his old backboard clean off.

No surprise then that he has been dreaming of playing NCAA Div. 1 basketball since he was five years old, watching the March Madness tournament on TV every year.

Brian Lee, head coach of rival St. George's, sent a tape of Dumas to a friend in Iowa - who just happened to be a friend of a coach at North Dakota - that the ball got rolling.

But Dumas isn't worried about the snowy four-year adventure he has signed on for.

Article about Sioux Recruit Denny Dumas.

Denny Dumas smiles his best choir-boy smile and chuckles. "I can't go to sleep when I play a bad game. I have to go outside and try and figure it out. I would come back home from my games at, like, 11 o'clock and I would have to go outside and shoot for, like, an hour.

Choir-boy smile, huh? He should fit in real well at UND! And his work ethics seem to fit the UND profile pretty well, too!