SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

I like the lines yzerman's put together, but there is a real "problem" on defense beyond the logjam that is apparent. Even if Lee leaves and LaPoint plugs into his slot, I see a bunch of smooth puck-handling Dmen who can carry the puck from end to end and score like crazy.

So we go from a d-corps with one guy who people bad-mouth cause he "won't hit anyone" to a group with at least two more "finesse" dmen, and no big hitters coming in. The nay-sayers aren't going to have enough wind in their lungs to bad-mouth the whole bunch of defensemen. :lol:

Second problem: we'll have to get used to 8-6 and 7-5 games all year. :glare: Ain't nobody there to knock any opponents off the puck.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the lines yzerman's put together, but there is a real "problem" on defense beyond the logjam that is apparent. Even if Lee leaves and LaPoint plugs into his slot, I see a bunch of smooth puck-handling Dmen who can carry the puck from end to end and score like crazy.

So we go from a d-corps with one guy who people bad-mouth cause he "won't hit anyone" to a group with at least two more "finesse" dmen, and no big hitters coming in. The nay-sayers aren't going to have enough wind in their lungs to bad-mouth the whole bunch of defensemen. :lol:

Second problem: we'll have to get used to 8-6 and 7-5 games all year. :glare: Ain't nobody there to knock any opponents off the puck.

I think your kidding from the top to the bottom, but we'll be all that much stronger with another years experience. Finley will be more of an physical force. He had a shoulder problem much of the year. Chorney and Jones will both be another year stronger. I don't see letting in anymore goals next year than we did this year.

With another year Lee will be quite a bit better too.

I think your kidding from the top to the bottom, but we'll be all that much stronger with another years experience. Finley will be more of an physical force. He had a shoulder problem much of the year. Chorney and Jones will both be another year stronger. I don't see letting in anymore goals next year than we did this year.

With another year Lee will be quite a bit better too.

And lest we forget about Robbie - the guy I think is a leader and has the most heart

If Toews were to leave, and I hope he stays,

I think Genoway would be good on the line with Oshie and Duncan. He's got the wheels to keep up, and to cover when guys get caught behind the puck.

Plus it would be a great line acronym: Genoway Oshie Duncan.

One Correction: Genoway, Oshie, Duncan'S line

One Correction: Genoway, Oshie, Duncan'S line

thats absurd and a tad bit blasphemous as well(although that doesnt bother me really). i think that genoway isnt top line material yet. i think that the guy that competes for the top line spot is going to have to work his ace off to get there. i think forney(after healing up)or kozek have the best shot. or perhaps miller or watkins or malone, who i havent ever seen. i think that the DOT line was likely the last(and first?) line in sioux history that was an acronym.

I have seen Hamilton only when he was with UAA. I've talked to some UAA fans on other boards and I seem to recall their viewpoint on Hamilton as being a streaky player. Good one moment, not so much the second. Yes, I've also heard that he was a grinder type player at UAA as well. I admit not knowing if all of this info is accurate, as the information comes from fans mostly, but I've taken what I've heard to be that he's a Martens-type player. Can score, can check, goes into corners, gritty. I've had more than one UAA fan tell me that Hamilton was inconsistent though... who knows. We'll have to see how things pan out.

thats absurd and a tad bit blasphemous as well(although that doesnt bother me really). i think that genoway isnt top line material yet. i think that the guy that competes for the top line spot is going to have to work his ace off to get there. i think forney(after healing up)or kozek have the best shot. or perhaps miller or watkins or malone, who i havent ever seen. i think that the DOT line was likely the last(and first?) line in sioux history that was an acronym.

Is this better: Genoway, Oshie, Duncan'S line

There must have been and will be again an acronym line.

Is this better: Genoway, Oshie, Duncan'S line

There must have been and will be again an acronym line.

yeah, the first one didnt actually bother me too much, i was just saying. but i still doubt that we will have another acronym line unless its DOT: PART DEUX! :glare:

Duncan - C

Chorney - A

Oshie - A

Bina - A

Or better yet

Duncan - C

Chorney - A

Towes -A

Bina - A

I dont know how you can over look Kiap as being at least an alternate captain if not the captain. His heart and soul is in this team. He was the one who said enough is enough in the Alaska series. That is when this team found some toughness and started to play Sioux hockey. Then 2 weeks later he took a Mankato players 2 best shots in the face, for THE TEAM, not because he likes to get hit in the face. Kaip my not rack up the points but he is a very important part of this team. He is a senior and a proven leader and has the respect of his team mates. Kaip has my vote for captain with A "s going to chorney ,duncan and watkins.

I'm in agreement with popeye on this one.

Not only does Kaip bring leadership to the team, he wore the letter last season as well. He has hardly done anything (except appear on Lives to Play's disrespect list) to warrant his losing the letter. He might not be the Captain, but he certainly should remain with the A on the sweater.

Kozek will not be on the first line, his stride is painful to watch and he isn't good. Forney can be good but he will not be in there because he hasn't proven himself. Miller won't be on that line unless they are playing Quinnipiac because that the only way he is a factor. Malone is way over-hyped, (yea you heard it here first). Vandevelde is probably the best fit there because of his skill level.

Potential Departures: Toews

Hopeful Departures: Lee, Finley, Kozek.

Kozek will not be on the first line, his stride is painful to watch and he isn't good. Forney can be good but he will not be in there because he hasn't proven himself. Miller won't be on that line unless they are playing Quinnipiac because that the only way he is a factor. Malone is way over-hyped, (yea you heard it here first). Vandevelde is probably the best fit there because of his skill level.

Heck Hakstol doesn't even have to coach next season. :D You heard it hear first.

Malone is way over hyped. :silly: Whewwww.

lee and toews will be gone, finley will be back and improve like most of our big d men in their 3rd year. kozek really needs to prove himself, he needs to step it up! forney will be a toss up, hopefully he gets healthy!! i see trupp or vandevelde on the top line. im not gona judge malone til i see him play live. this is always a funny time of year...we are all head coaches :D wait a minute, i guess we are year around as well :)

and if malone does end up being a very solid player for the sioux make sure you tell everyone "YOU DIDNT HEAR IT HERE FIRST" :silly: thats always my favorite line with predictions because if he is good im sure we wont hear from ya and if he does not play well, you will be the first on board to say I TOLD YA SO :angry:

So have you seen Malone play? I'm assuming not, all you do is go look at his stats on ushl.com and then you evaluate his skill level. Your assesment is wrong on both Kozek and Miller. Remember that Kozek is only a sophmore and played on a checking line this year, his skill level is enough to be maybe be hmmm (a second round draft choice). Miller, same thing, let him develop more and don't jump to conclusions because he is only a sophmore. Also, you list Lee and Finley as hopeful departures. I'm sure you were saying the same thing about Smaby after his freshmen year. Once again, sophmores who need a few years to develop into top players. What is the biggest reason that we have lost in the semifinal the last two years? YOUNG D-MEN. You put another year on Lee, Finley and everyone else on the d-corps and they become solid college d-men, leading us to a national title. Remember, the majority of college hockey players are still three/four year players. Not everyone is Toews, Parise, and Zajac and comes in and plays his best right away.

So have you seen Malone play? I'm assuming not, all you do is go look at his stats on ushl.com and then you evaluate his skill level. Your assesment is wrong on both Kozek and Miller. Remember that Kozek is only a sophmore and played on a checking line this year, his skill level is enough to be maybe be hmmm (a second round draft choice). Miller, same thing, let him develop more and don't jump to conclusions because he is only a sophmore. Also, you list Lee and Finley as hopeful departures. I'm sure you were saying the same thing about Smaby after his freshmen year. Once again, sophmores who need a few years to develop into top players. What is the biggest reason that we have lost in the semifinal the last two years? YOUNG D-MEN. You put another year on Lee, Finley and everyone else on the d-corps and they become solid college d-men, leading us to a national title. Remember, the majority of college hockey players are still three/four year players. Not everyone is Toews, Parise, and Zajac and comes in and plays his best right away.

I going to have to agree with USA Hokcey here. Isn't Malone a well sought after recruit that quite a few teams were interested in him? Also, If I am not mistaken isn't Malone supposed to be a late second early third round recruit? For teasers Bochenski was a 7 round pick. So we also find out that Kozek was hurt this season and might need surgury. That makes sense for the drop in production. Miller in essence was first year player because of his lack of playing time last season and did quite well.

Should Oshie be thought of as captain material? I think so, but with all the leadership they have in the lockerroom the letter on the jersey shouldnt be a big deal.

I thought a hockey team could only have two A's and one C? Or you could have three C's.