SiouxSports.com Forum

BC / MSU

7>4

I believe that the Defensive style of MSU and the ability to check your opponent really hampered BC. I saw a dozen hits tonight that would have resulted in a PP on Thursday.

I can't respect a team the dives and runs the goalie. That's not hockey.

In the end justice was served. IMHO.

What a way to lose for BC. OUCH 19 seconds left. Really? I think BC thought if they could get by UND it was a matter of showing up, cause they looked really different tonight.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the Defensive style of MSU and the ability to check your opponent really hampered BC. I saw a dozen hits tonight that would have resulted in a PP on Thursday.

I can't respect a team the dives and runs the goalie. That's not hockey.

In the end justice was served. IMHO.

What a way to lose for BC. OUCH 19 seconds left. Really? I think BC thought if they could get by UND it was a matter of showing up, cause they looked really different tonight.

You could see BC wearing down in the 3rd. They were getting up slower from their hits and didn't look as sharp as they did in the second period. MSU kept the hits coming and never changed their style of play. In my opinion, Comley should be D1 coach of the year, would be a shame if he wasn't.

could say the same about UND. 0-3 under Hak.

yeah and they knocked us out the last 2 years and another in 01 :lol: pretty damn good program...but i was very very happy to see them lose...

boyle was a big reason they lost. he tried to be a hero everytime dow the ice, hes damn good but he made that lazy ass drop pass in msu's zone that led to the game winner for the spartans..congrats msu

yeah and they knocked us out the last 2 years and another in 01 :lol: pretty damn good program...but i was very very happy to see them lose...

boyle was a big reason they lost. he tried to be a hero everytime dow the ice, hes damn good but he made that lazy ass drop pass in msu's zone that led to the game winner for the spartans..congrats msu

Yeah thank God he is a senior. :D

I am very happy that MSU won, because I hate the East and it's fun to watch BC lose.

I was really shocked last night as I browsed thru thread after thread and the common theme seemed to be that BC just need to get to the arena on time and collect the hardware. Now, by no means was I on here proclaiming an MSU victory but they took a huge shot to the gut from Maine and really showed what kind of a team they are. I figured that if Lerg played well, they could frustrate BC and take em down. At least someone in green won it.

I was really different watching the game tonight. Lots of big hits and a great game. All I could hear on Thur was how this penalty or that penalty was called to keep a handle on the game and not let things get out of hand. I guess more than 2 hits a game is letting things get out of hand. And what about that last run at Lerg that finally got called like 2 minutes later? Did Shep have to catch a replay?

I am very happy that MSU won, because I hate the East and it's fun to watch BC lose.

I was really shocked last night as I browsed thru thread after thread and the common theme seemed to be that BC just need to get to the arena on time and collect the hardware. Now, by no means was I on here proclaiming an MSU victory but they took a huge shot to the gut from Maine and really showed what kind of a team they are. I figured that if Lerg played well, they could frustrate BC and take em down. At least someone in green won it.

I was really different watching the game tonight. Lots of big hits and a great game. All I could hear on Thur was how this penalty or that penalty was called to keep a handle on the game and not let things get out of hand. I guess more than 2 hits a game is letting things get out of hand. And what about that last run at Lerg that finally got called like 2 minutes later? Did Shep have to catch a replay?

The announcers said that the Assistant Referee called the penalty not Shep. However, whether or not if the announcers were correct I do not know.

Don't you realize that this was a joint conspiracy by Maine, UND, and Michigan State against the evil eastern empire and their leader, Darth York?? We all conspired to make them over confident.

It was a great game to be at, much better than last year's game. Very happy to see BC lose, as Boyle seemed to be playing for himself and not his team. Also, Gerbe is a cheap little skater, throwing punches, running into and slashing the goalie, etc. He will get his clocked cleaned someday with that crap.

Way to go MSU.

I am shocked that MSU won this game. I thought it was BC's for the taking. Apparently BC thought that, too.

I only watched the last 3 minutes of this game as I expected BC to take it home easily too, and frankly I'm still in recovery from Thursday. But when I logged on here and saw it was tied I watched the rest. Since I didn't see much of the game, did BC really play down, or is MSU a better team than given credit for?

This MSU championship team can sidle right up next to Denver's first team that came from outer space to win the title. It truly shows that anyone who makes it into the tournament can win it. MSU also won the beanpot this year.

Great point. I was thinking the same thing about once you make the tournament, anything can happen. Look at this year's tournament. No #1 seeds made the Frozen Four, and only 1 #2. Probably the least heralded of the Frozen Four teams actually survived. That's pretty wacky.

What a great Championship game. BC lost because of the bad karma of one of their fans telling me to sit down between periods.....

No lie. :lol: Needless to say, they were gone before State scored their empty netter.

They got to know beter than to do that. :D

I had no trouble cheering for MSU. My father and grandfather taught me at a very young age you never cheer for BC or the U of M. Plus BC is going home with nothing and UND is bringing home a well deserved HB. No matter how close they come Hockey Least still can't compete with the WCHA or the CCHA.

This is shocking, I have watched MSU play about five times this year, and every time I watched them they were the epitamy of mediocrity. Glad to see a talented, explosive, flopping bunch of Sally's (see "BC," "Golden Gophers," or " Men who have slumber parties and dye each other's hair") lose to MSU with 19 seconds left after they bounced the beloved Sioux.

Is ESPN ever going to say anything about who won the Hobey last night? :lol:

Don't know if you caught it (I was unable to watch the game last night until the end, and was also looking for them to say something about the Hobey). I watched the video this AM and found the mention of Duncan winning the Hobey with a short video clip in between the second and third period. I was hoping for a little more than what they had shown, but was glad siouxsports had the entire video to see and hear. Way to go Duncan!

Was a great game to watch, what a finish!

I was also very happy to see a Green and White team win, much better to see a CCHA team win it than Hockey East.

It also was evident to me that Boston College went down on contact very easy and would turn their back to a check as well. After playing against Wisconsin's diving team last year, they probably thought this was the way to play hockey to win. I can't stand divers in a hockey game, it really cheapens it. BC got what they deserve in my opinion.

Green and White rules!

Great run this year again for the FIGTHING SIOUX!

Here is to #8 in 08!

What a great Championship game. BC lost because of the bad karma of one of their fans telling me to sit down between periods.....

No lie. :lol: Needless to say, they were gone before State scored their empty netter.

Thanks hockey mom, now im even more happy they lost

MSU played the trap really well in the tourney, and looked way better than they did at any time during the season.

The trap has won the last four championships, maybe college hockey is heading in the same direction in the NHL where the trap is slowly adopted by everyone (started by the Devils).

It was a great game to be at, much better than last year's game. Very happy to see BC lose, as Boyle seemed to be playing for himself and not his team. Also, Gerbe is a cheap little skater, throwing punches, running into and slashing the goalie, etc. He will get his clocked cleaned someday with that crap.

Way to go MSU.

Exactly.He played very shelfishly last nite and seemed to be playing for the name on the back of his jersey and the name on the front.

I didn't even plan to watch this game but did just becuase i had to see some of it... Thank you god for letting msu win... it made me feel like a better person. I am still mourning a little bit and having flashbacks so seeing BC go down made me feel awesome... next year will be here soon enough!

MSU played the trap really well in the tourney, and looked way better than they did at any time during the season.

The trap has won the last four championships, maybe college hockey is heading in the same direction in the NHL where the trap is slowly adopted by everyone (started by the Devils).

The strong defense approach, and low scoring game is exactly what struck me about last night's game and the recent national champions. MSU did not have the fancy goal scorers, but both them and BC had great defense. It sure appears that a strong defense is beating a strong offense.

Thinking about the Sioux's last 3 runs, I was thinking that having a strong defensemen like Matt Green helps to get you to the final game. Only to then get stuck in the Denver trap.

It's much more fun to watch a high flying Sioux game.

Triouxper and I were talking about that earlier today, at how defense first hockey has worked down the stretch the last few years for teams that are willing to play that system. Like it or not, it's an effective system and produces big trophies.

Triouxper and I were talking about that earlier today, at how defense first hockey has worked down the stretch the last few years for teams that are willing to play that system. Like it or not, it's an effective system and produces big trophies.

Teams gotta do what they gotta do. I'll take less frequent championships with the Gophers existing systems if that is what it comes to, but I don't think it will.

Taking a my memory we have a 12 year sample we have:

1996 Michigan/CC

1997 Sioux/BU

1998 Michigan/BC

1999 Maine/UNH

2000 UND/BC

2001 BC/UND

2002 UM/Maine

2003 UM/UNH

2004 DU/Maine

2005 DU/UND

2006 UW/BC

2007 MSU/BC

Really the only teams that seemed to be defense first was the '04 DU, '04 Maine, '06 UW. I can't put '05 DU and '07 (though some might) with those others. MSU really took over the game in the second period with better physical play and potentially with BC wearing down from their huge effort vs. the Sioux.

Plenty of systems teams get beat every year. Cornell, UW, and potentially Notre Dame this year are examples of defense first teams that pretty much get knocked out early.

Really to survive the single elims of the NCAA tourney you need to be good at offense, good at defense and get great goalie play when you need it.