SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Jonathon. These Milwaukee based Sioux fans will go to the United Center to watch you skate for your first NHL shift. Checking into tickets now. Keep your head on straight and sign some Sioux stuff for us when we drop by. Thanks for being a big part of SIOUX hockey for these past two years.

As a life long Blackhawk fan and Sioux hockey fan, I do have mixed feelings about this, but we all know that JT was ready for the big time. I look forward to him helping the Blackhawks regain some of their lost respect in the NHL and for him to go on to a long and successful career there.

Best of luck to a very classy young man!

I look forward to him helping the Blackhawks regain some of their lost respect in the NHL and for him to go on to a long and successful career there.

I was talking about this with someone. Chicago has a lot of work to do to get respectability. It is a shame what has happened to this once proud franchise.

Jonathan, THANKS for a great couple years. I enjoyed watching you do so very many things well, and hope to see you continue improving.

I enjoyed watching you school guys on faceoffs, especially in the defensive and offensive zones.

I enjoyed watching you play sound positional hockey in the defensive zone.

I enjoyed that no-look sniper goal against Northeastern. (I think it was Northeastern ...)

I enjoyed watching you school Jeff Frazee at the WJC, and later with a Sioux jersey back on.

I enjoyed watching the chemistry with your mates.

You're in for great things. Thanks for letting us share part of it. Come back and see us sometime.

On the plus side:

UND shattered the myth that US colleges don't develop players for the NHL as well as Canadian Junior Leagues

A whole new wave of Canadian prospects will be attracted to US colleges, and UND specifically

UND will still win the Championship in 2008

On the plus side:

UND shattered the myth that US colleges don't develop players for the NHL as well as Canadian Junior Leagues

A whole new wave of Canadian prospects will be attracted to US colleges, and UND specifically

UND will still win the Championship in 2008

That one kid that just committed to UND said by committing to UND it gives him a great chance to go to the pros.

That one kid that just committed to UND said by committing to UND it gives him a great chance to go to the pros.

Not a new concept.

I know that Brett Bruneteau said the same thing.

I can't help but think Smaby said something similar but I can't be sure.

I'm so impressed with how Toews has consistently made the right decisions about his development, and also about the maturity and class he has shown in how he has communicated his decisions. He's either one highly unusual 19-year-old, has had great parenting, or probably a combination of both. He's consistently taken the next step at exactly the right time.

Back when the top players regularly stayed for four years, it would not have been a mistake for a player of Toews caliber to stay at the collegiate level. Given the culture of today's hockey world, it would have been a mistake for Toews to stay now.

As a long-standing, hard-core Sioux fan, I feel fortunate that Toews didn't take off last year. Most players of his caliber would have.

Though they play different positions, in terms of talent, longevity, and character, I see Toews having the type of career that James Patrick had -- incredibly solid and lengthy.

I wish him all the luck in the world, and hope that he can comprehend to even the smallest degree (at this early stage in life) how incredibly fortunate he is. Hopefully he'll stay grateful and humble, and continue to give some of it back.

Congratulations and best of luck Mr. Toews. You are definitely living the dream.

Toews admitted Wednesday that he likely would not have made such a quick decision to leave the University of North Dakota two years early and sign with the Hawks on Tuesday had things not gone as well as they did for him in Russia as the only non-pro to play for Canada.

"During the year I had a lot of people tell me I was ready, and you like to hear that, Toews said.