SiouxSports.com Forum

Another Clueless fan.

Goon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Siouxrock': Why'd you take down your post where you said you knew more about hockey than another poster? I just finished the question:

In the style of hockey used by certain teams, the fullback (in this case we'll say the left fullback) goes behind the net to retrieve the puck.

(1) What is the name of this style of play? (Yes, there is a style that plays with fullbacks. Name it.)

(2) What is the libero's (in this style, that's the name given to another position) defensive responsibilities in this situation?

(3) Why was this style of play developed?

(4) Who has used this style of play? (You only have to name one team.)

Questions are great fun. :D

I agree with previous posters, the USCHO forum is garbage. There is rarely anything of substance or interest on there. It is just a bunch of ranting and raving.

The ranting and raving on uscho does make it really hard to read at times, however, I really enjoy the scores update thread. Also it wouldn't be a good week without Sica's "the list" thread in the community section. I would feel really lost without both this site (siouxsports) and uscho. The uscho site is an excellent way to become informed on other teams/conferences/players. When the events of Sept 11 unfolded I was glued to uscho -- I remember when Ritt18 (a "hated" BC fan) posted that he was getting out of there (NYC) -- I cried in relief that this pompous @ss was okay -- that's what uscho has the potential to do -- bring together hockey fans from across the USA and Canada to create a funny, antagonistic, informative forum. Many of the posters stop just short of crossing "the line" but that's the fun in it -- the few that cross are easily "ignored" or in some cases are banned. And even when they're banned it's entertaining to figure out who they now are (ie Chris!!!, eaglebunny, newton, Cathy's something or other, wasn't there something about bean or beacon hill?) I love reading the "discussions" between Chuck Murray, Bobo, darin, etc.... -- they can make the flaming between UND and UMN seem tame!

I think North Dakota could field a competitive team with just North Dakota boys most years, but not a championship caliber team. The number of people in the state simply does not allow it.

Picture this team next year. Help me out if I am missing any.

Forwards: Grant Potulny, Ryan Potulny, Dan Irmen, Quinn Fylling, Pat O'Leary, Massen

Defense: Andy Schneider, Nick Fuher, Joey Markuson, Chad Dahlen, Nate Metcalf?(not sure on that one)

Goalie: Ziegleman, Sedevie, Lamoreaux

A little weak on numbers but not short on quality.

'Siouxrock': Why'd you take down your post where you said you knew more about hockey than another poster? I just finished the question:

In the style of hockey used by certain teams, the fullback (in this case we'll say the left fullback) goes behind the net to retrieve the puck.

(1) What is the name of this style of play? (Yes, there is a style that plays with fullbacks. Name it.)

(2) What is the libero's (in this style, that's the name given to another position) defensive responsibilities in this situation?

(3) Why was this style of play developed?

(4) Who has used this style of play? (You only have to name one team.)

Questions are great fun. :D

Geez, I'm gonna watch my spelling or elsi Sicatoka will start aksing me a lot of really hrd queshtons.

To the ones that you asked, I am curious about the answers so will take a stab ....

I think it was developed as a power play scheme that turned into full-court offense ... (riiiiight)

And I think UMD's women's team plays the torpedo. It helps that they have Swedes on their team. But they would probably win playing a box-and-chaser, or a wishbone-slot-I for that matter.

Throughout the Doug Woog era, the U of M got to the postseason and choked, plain and simple, so let's not guess what might have happened IF they'd recruited out-of-state for the past twenty years, and simply remember what did happen. Grant Potulny of GRAND FORKS, ND scored two goals in the National Semifinals, and the game winner in the title game, and after waiting 23 years, the Gophers FINALLY got #4.

This statement is a little harsh. I'd say losing to Harvard in St. Paul was a choke, even though they were great team. Most of the years, if not all, they were beaten by superior teams. This may have been due to recruiting or coaching, but coaching is part of the team.

As for choking in regular season games at the old Ralph, god knows it seamed like it happened at least once a year.

The truly ironic part of things is that HAD UND recruited Potulny, I'd still be waiting to watch the Gophers win an NCAA title live.

farce_poobah: Your hard hockey question. What surface is the game played on? :):D

Dang. I KNEW you'd throw a curveball ...

Hmmm... If the games are at Target Center, the game is played on slush and favors Denver.

Even the new REA appears to be a cross between slush and ice.

Others might say the game is played on skates, maybe THAT'S the right answer. Dang, this is HARD.

I like boot hockey, which I think would be a good way to settle this Iraqi thing.

Plus, they could get the French to coach them, what with France being every bit as much a world hockey power as they are a strategic and military power. Of course, with the Frnech giving military advice to the Iraqi's this will be over fast. (Wait till the shooting starts to surrender, please.) Oh where was I? Dang.

is teh corekt enswer ice?