SiouxSports.com Forum

Another Clueless fan.

Goon

This is a post from Yellowdog. Yesh... It probably is as far from the truth as possible. Or is it...

I don't remember many 25 year old Candians on UND's 1997 and 2000 NCAA championship teams.

The truth about North Dakota's Championships

I know since I just signed up for this board some of you will take that as a lack of knowledge about college hockey. It actually is that I have real human friends to talk to about hockey. Just because i have not posted here before means nothing so those of you who equate the two need to get a life.

Now for the real issue. Why the sioux have won more championships than the gophers and why that is about to change. The number #1 reason is the fact that minnesota teams have been all minnesota kids for the past 20 years. The sioux fans I talk to seem to think minnesota has some built in advantage and should always be winning championships, but the sioux have been the one with the advantage until now. The gophers would have won twice as many titles during the past 20 years as the sioux if we would have mixed in 25 year old canadians along side of our native minnesotans. Lucia changed this policy just two years ago and we already have a championship. We will now begin to dominate the wcha and the nation like we would have the last 20 years with this same type of recruiting policy. I would love to see what a team of all north dakotans would do at this level. If they could get within 10 goals of any other team that would be a victory.

I heard alot of whining about the fact that the sioux were without Parise for a couple of games this year. Join the club. the gophers have been losing players to the juniors forever and it has cost them games. Since nodak finally recruited someone who has not started a family yet they see how the rest of the world has lived. We also lost players in every olympic year except the last couple which has cost minnesota some potentially very good seasons.

The point is this, if minnesota would not have handcuffed itself with their recruiting policy they would have more than doubled the sioux's champioship output of the last 20 years, and we will start our run to 10 championships now and we will get there before the sioux will. Mostly it is just fun to poke fun at you sioux fans because you take this so seriously because it is all you have up there. By the way nice schedule this year you can look at that when you exit in the first round. Jump on our bandwagon now, back to back championships with only 2 seniors graduating this year.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more clueless. His team must have been bounced from NCAA tourney competition consideration.

Posted by buvid

Re: Re: Re: Re: hehe... here we go

BC- Jerry Yorke is a horse's ass

UML-That mascot is awful, if i went to Lowell i would avoid the rink so i wouldnt have to look at that creation.

UMASS- Actually i love Toot and his team.

UNH-The Ex-lax chant has to go, and there are a few too many mullets for my taste in Durham.

ME- Niko, even after he is gone i curse that name.

PC- The worst fans in HE, spending 2 weekends there in the last month was too much.

NU- I love Matthews arena. The fans are awesome anyone who shows up to watch that squad has my respect.

UND- Englested arena and all the corruption that building stands for. Growing up i loved the fighting Sioux. However, when a University lowers itself to accepting a 250 million dollar donation from a man who made his money off of casions and is a blantent racist I lose all respect for that program. Part of NCAA hockey is a purity in sports and Engelsted represents everything that is not right in amatuer atheletics

UND- Englested arena and all the corruption that building stands for. Growing up i loved the fighting Sioux. However, when a University lowers itself to accepting a 250 million dollar donation from a man who made his money off of casions and is a blantent racist I lose all respect for that program. Part of NCAA hockey is a purity in sports and Engelsted represents everything that is not right in amatuer atheletics

obviously, this guy knows NOTHING about Ralph Engelstad! Bozo! :D

This is a post from Yellowdog. Yesh... It probably is as far from the truth as possible. Or is it...

I don't remember many 25 year old Candians on UND's 1997 and 2000 NCAA championship teams.

The truth about North Dakota's Championships

I know since I just signed up for this board some of you will take that as a lack of knowledge about college hockey. It actually is that I have real human friends to talk to about hockey. Just because i have not posted here before means nothing so those of you who equate the two need to get a life.

Now for the real issue. Why the sioux have won more championships than the gophers and why that is about to change. The number #1 reason is the fact that minnesota teams have been all minnesota kids for the past 20 years. The sioux fans I talk to seem to think minnesota has some built in advantage and should always be winning championships, but the sioux have been the one with the advantage until now. The gophers would have won twice as many titles during the past 20 years as the sioux if we would have mixed in 25 year old canadians along side of our native minnesotans. Lucia changed this policy just two years ago and we already have a championship. We will now begin to dominate the wcha and the nation like we would have the last 20 years with this same type of recruiting policy. I would love to see what a team of all north dakotans would do at this level. If they could get within 10 goals of any other team that would be a victory.

I heard alot of whining about the fact that the sioux were without Parise for a couple of games this year. Join the club. the gophers have been losing players to the juniors forever and it has cost them games. Since nodak finally recruited someone who has not started a family yet they see how the rest of the world has lived. We also lost players in every olympic year except the last couple which has cost minnesota some potentially very good seasons.

The point is this, if minnesota would not have handcuffed itself with their recruiting policy they would have more than doubled the sioux's champioship output of the last 20 years, and we will start our run to 10 championships now and we will get there before the sioux will. Mostly it is just fun to poke fun at you sioux fans because you take this so seriously because it is all you have up there. By the way nice schedule this year you can look at that when you exit in the first round. Jump on our bandwagon now, back to back championships with only 2 seniors graduating this year.

Yellowsnow must have forgot that it took a kid from North Dakota to bring home a Gopher title.

One could field a team of all left-handers and they, too, wouldn't get my sympathy when they don't win championships. It's not my fault if they handcuffed themselves by prefering tradition over sound recruiting strategy.

Well, I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion even when it doesn't hold water. Although I despise Minnesota, I do recognize that they are usually a contender and have put some very talented teams out on the ice, Canadians or no Canadians. But hockey will be played in hell before the Gophers beat the Sioux to a 10th NCAA title.

Yellowsnow should be complaining about the Gopher program and not looking for excuses why they haven't won more championships. Watch any college game and will be sure to find Canadians on any team so why has Denver or CC won seven championships. Wasn't Blake from MN? I wonder why he wasn't good enough to play for MN? He chose Ferris St. over MN and then ND over MN again. dagies you are right about the thread. I'm sorry for even posting this. Its just that loonies bug me.

I went on that USCHO site once to look for some tickets and all I found was a bunch of blowhards on there spewing how good their team is and I can't imagine that all of a sudden someone is just going to admit their team sucks and the other team is better. I post on this site because I can be a homer and this is a site that homers would typically post. If I wanted to hear that my team was no good I would just go over to my Gopher friends house and get verbally abused and then go home.

Hey Yellowdog,

In regard to your comments about UND's "25 year old Canadian players", they don't have any. When UND won the National Championship in '97, Sid Hartman (THE worst sportswriter at a major daily in the country) and "Dark Star" made numerous similar comments. As it would turn out, if either of those morons had simply looked at rosters, they would have seen that not only did the Gophers have the two oldest players in the conference that year (Steve DeBus and Dan Woog), but they had the oldest average age of any team in the conference. The "25 year old Canadians" complaint is a familiar one from Gopher fans that obviously don't know the game.

Furthermore, no one made the Gophers recruit only Minnesota players for all those years, so the UND "advantage" you speak of was the Gophers' own doing. You're right that a team comprised totally of North Dakota players couldn't compete, but the state has a population of 640,000 (less than the Twin Cities metro area alone), so I think it's fair to say that this insight wasn't too mind-blowing.

Lastly, there's no way to know whether the Gophers would have won more titles if they'd recruited out of state. The fact is they didn't, and they've won four. If Ed Belfour had stayed at UND more than a year and sophomore Hobey Baker winner Tony Hrkac hadn't left, UND may have won two or three more in a row after '87, but guess what, that didn't happen. Throughout the Doug Woog era, the U of M got to the postseason and choked, plain and simple, so let's not guess what might have happened IF they'd recruited out-of-state for the past twenty years, and simply remember what did happen. Grant Potulny of GRAND FORKS, ND scored two goals in the National Semifinals, and the game winner in the title game, and after waiting 23 years, the Gophers FINALLY got #4.