SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX - EAGLES - BLACKBEARS - SPARTANS, Frozen 4 thoughts, prediction

AZSIOUX

News from the Barry Melrose department:

He picked BC to win it all this morning on ESPN. And the other talking head referred to the Fighting Sioux as "Dane Jackson's..."

How nice would it be to know absolutely nothing and make great money proving so...

Well according to this NY Times article i'ts actually Dave Raskot and then later on Whitehead: My apologies for posting the entire article but the Times requires a login and I didn't think you all would want to spend the time.

ST. LOUIS, March 27 (AP)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the BC/Miami pictorial from the Northeast Regional where I found the following caption:

"Cory Schneider and Brian O'Hanley celebrate the win. Jerry York's Eagles do not pose for team shots or overly celebrate Regional wins - the Frozen Four is all-important."

Does this remind anyone of a certain WCHA team that downplayed a championship and subsequently lost to Holy Cross in the regional? Can you imagine what it would be like to play for a coach that places so much emphasis on winning the ultimate prize that incremental sucesses can't be savored? Undue pressure from coaches, parents, and others can be dibilitating to a team, resulting in finger pointing, excusing, whining and many other negatives.

I personally believe that it is any coaching staff's duty to record major milestones and encourage the players to relish and enjoy each incremental goal that they achieve and further, to share them with their fans at any event, whether planned or spontaneous. To do otherwise is to snub the "tradition and respect to those who have gone before" that significant awards and trophys often represent.

I am extremely proud that our Fighting Sioux tradition is being carried on by a coaching staff that understands the responsibility to play to the best of one's ability to uphold our tradition but still appreciates all the players after games in which they have left it all on the ice. I really believe that the Sioux coaching staff's unconditional love, respect, and TRUST that each player will leave it all on the ice is a major factor in the team's successes in big games.

As for me, I Love our Fighting Sioux Hockey team... period!!! I know they will dig down deep and offer up the kind of effort that will maximize their chances! I also know that, because of our coaching staff, they will thoroughly enjoy the quest because "It's the Journey", man, "It's the Journey!!!!

Boy is it a long time 'til Thursday... Go Sioux Go, Fight Sioux Fight, Win Sioux Win!!!!

PS: I hope Maine wins next Thursday; totally respect their program and fans!

Can you imagine what it would be like to play for a coach that places so much emphasis on winning the ultimate prize that incremental sucesses can't be savored? Undue pressure from coaches, parents, and others can be dibilitating to a team, resulting in finger pointing, excusing, whining and many other negatives.

I personally believe that it is any coaching staff's duty to record major milestones and encourage the players to relish and enjoy each incremental goal that they achieve and further, to share them with their fans at any event, whether planned or spontaneous. To do otherwise is to snub the "tradition and respect to those who have gone before" that significant awards and trophys often represent.

Hello, Sioux fans. I've been following my alma mater since the mid 60's and I have a lot of respect for your program. Some very good points have been made on this thread but I wanted to address this one in particular.

Jerry York has 777 wins and 2 NCAA titles. He didn't achieve those numbers by not celebrating incremental successes. He's a master at getting the most out of his players, molding a team and upholding tradition. He respects the game, the school and the fans and his players reflect that.

In short, don't believe everything you read.

Speaking for myself, I have great respect for Jerry York and the Boston College hockey program. It's going to be a great game against two great teams with strong hockey traditions. I would expect nothing less from the Eagles.

Hello, Sioux fans. I've been following my alma mater since the mid 60's and I have a lot of respect for your program. Some very good points have been made on this thread but I wanted to address this one in particular.

Jerry York has 777 wins and 2 NCAA titles. He didn't achieve those numbers by not celebrating incremental successes. He's a master at getting the most out of his players, molding a team and upholding tradition. He respects the game, the school and the fans and his players reflect that.

Visited Boston back about 15 years ago for a week for an education seminar (stayed at Pine Manor Collge in Chestnut Hills, MA). Loved the Boston area. So much history. If I remembered correctly, we drove by BC. Looked like a beautiful campus. GO SIOUX!

Here's a chat with BC forward Pat Gannon:

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/s.../032807aad.html

My favorite part:

What do you know about North Dakota? What are their strengths? What's their style of play?

I feel like they breed them out there. Pretty much every player is twice the size as I am. They have strength. They have a lot of speed. They have a lot of kids that can put the puck away that we're going to try to keep off the board. We're going to try to be quicker than they are and hopefully get away like we did last year with a win. It should be a game of speed versus size.

I didn't get to watch last year's game but the impression I have is that the Sioux were blitzed a time or 2 by BC. Hopefully remembering the lessons of last year's game, and from playing/beating Michigan last weekend will prepare the Sioux to be on top of their game next Thursday.

Pat Gannon is very generously listed at 5'7" and 155. It isn't hard to be twice his size.

I enjoy the rivalry BC and UND have developed over the years. Almost every game is closely contested.

he will fit in nicely with Duncan who is listed at 5'6" and 155 then. ??? It should be a good game and a continuation of a great little rivalry. Can't wait to be there to see it in person.

Pat Gannon is very generously listed at 5'7" and 155. It isn't hard to be twice his size.

I enjoy the rivalry BC and UND have developed over the years. Almost every game is closely contested.

Welcome to siouxsports.com.

The BC-UND games have been fun to watch, even last year's which could have been really boring after the first period. Instead, it featured a team that never gave up (UND) versus a team that never believed it had it won (BC) until the final buzzer.

I didn't get to watch last year's game but the impression I have is that the Sioux were blitzed a time or 2 by BC. Hopefully remembering the lessons of last year's game, and from playing/beating Michigan last weekend will prepare the Sioux to be on top of their game next Thursday.

I could be wrong about this, but it seems to me that with one exception (the 2001 championship game), the team that's won in the playoff games between these two has been the one that wasn't favored to win. In 1999, the Sioux were expected to win it all, but BC upset UND in the NCAA regionals. In 2000 during what was supposed to be a rebuilding year for UND and a year in which BC had no fewer than three Hobey finalists, the Sioux won.

I remember the Eagles being the favorite in the 2001 championship game because they were once again loaded with talent. BC won that game in OT after a patented Blais comebak. In 2005, UND wasn't supposed to surivive the East Regional against either BU or BC. The Sioux steamrolled both of them. Last season, I thought the Sioux had the momentum heading into the the Frozen Four, but BC came out hard and knocked UND off its game. The Sioux never recovered after falling behind 3-0.

This year, BC is the team on the hot streak and the favorite to win it all. I'm hoping that bodes well for the Sioux.

Here's a chat with BC forward Pat Gannon:

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/s.../032807aad.html

My favorite part:

What do you know about North Dakota? What are their strengths? What's their style of play?

I feel like they breed them out there. Pretty much every player is twice the size as I am. They have strength. They have a lot of speed. They have a lot of kids that can put the puck away that we're going to try to keep off the board. We're going to try to be quicker than they are and hopefully get away like we did last year with a win. It should be a game of speed versus size.

Won't he be surprised when Bina looks straight in the eye before crushing him.

This year, BC is the team on the hot streak and the favorite to win it all. I'm hoping that bodes well for the Sioux.

I never expect BC to beat UND, but somehow they manage it more often than most.

With the exception of the '99 game the team I usually want to win this matchup loses. Things were looking really good for you guys this year (due to my bitterness over the Gophers) until I heard Melrose spouting off the other night. Now I really don't know who I'm going to be rooting for. I guess thats why they play the games. ???

I agree. How the Sioux handle the speed of BC will be key. They need to come out better than they did against Michigan who was by far the fastest team I saw all year.

I agree. How the Sioux handle the speed of BC will be key. They need to come out better than they did against Michigan who was by far the fastest team I saw all year.

They need to bring the physical game, the emotions in check physical game that is. That's one way to deal with it, knock them around for a period or two, then deliver the knockout punch in the third.

They need to bring the physical game, the emotions in check physical game that is. That's one way to deal with it, knock them around for a period or two, then deliver the knockout punch in the third.

I whole heartedly agree. Good old, physical, hard hitting hockey is gonna win us the crown!!