SiouxSports.com Forum

Booooooo

yekcoh

I'd be surprised if there was a lot of trash talking on the ice. Hockey has usually been a game where that is kept to a minimum. Primarily due to the condoning of fighting and the presence of sticks. You hear a lot of occasional swear words, and the typical "stay down" or "hey tough guy". The tremendous skill level at the top of both MN and Sioux is such that they don't need to say much, maybe "see you in the show".

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if there was a lot of trash talking on the ice. Hockey has usually been a game where that is kept to a minimum. Primarily due to the condoning of fighting and the presence of sticks. You hear a lot of occasional swear words, and the typical "stay down" or "hey tough guy". The tremendous skill level at the top of both MN and Sioux is such that they don't need to say much, maybe "see you in the show".

many NCAA players act tough as well due to full cages. if they are talented enough to make the show, that will change a lot. the all talk player will keep their mouths shut for the most part....

I wonder if the proliferation of the american born player will increase the trash talk? This is not a pop-culture, today's youth, philisophical question; but rather a question of the difference in the game up there versus down here.

An american born, high school player who has always played with a cage and an ejection rule plus a misconduct penalty for fighting would probably conduct himself much differently than a canadian junior product who played sans cage with fighting being a 5 minute penalty and used as an intimidation and protection tactic.

It's almost to be expected from a lot of the Gopher fans that show up at the Final 5. A lot of them aren't real hockey fans, they just show up and display their arrogance and lack of respect for all other teams and their fans. I know a student couple from St. Cloud that sat in one of the bottom corners, who were harassed all weekend by gopher fans. The gopher fans were also harassing the Husky cheerleaders. I don't understand people booing for the awards nor the animosity displayed towards other fans.

The real Husky hockey fans sitting behind me during the Sioux - St. Cloud game spent half their time cussing out the Gofer fan to my right...They left after the 2nd period when the game was out of reach...nice...

getting back to the original comment, most fans were not booing lammy, they were booing because the losing goalie got picked as all tournament. since when does a goalie who was outplayed, and lost deserve to get an award over the winning goalie. everyone knows you pick the winning goalie for the award, not the loser. the fans didn't care at all that it was lammy, they cared that it was not the winning goalie.

Maybe that just shows their(The fans booing) lack of knowledge of the game of hockey. The fans that were booing when Lameroux when he was announced as the All-Tournament goalie obviously don't understand the game or were just booing either because they were A)mad that Briggs/Frazee didn't get the award, B)were just too drunk, or C)booing just because he was the Sioux goaltender. If you know hockey, you know that a goalie that gives only plays 1/2 the games with relatively the same numbers is not going to win against a guy that has played in both games with relatively the same numbers. It's pretty simple.

getting back to the original comment, most fans were not booing lammy, they were booing because the losing goalie got picked as all tournament. since when does a goalie who was outplayed, and lost deserve to get an award over the winning goalie. everyone knows you pick the winning goalie for the award, not the loser. the fans didn't care at all that it was lammy, they cared that it was not the winning goalie.

The same fans booing this year were the very same ones cheering wildly three years ago when Minny's Kellen Briggs got voted all-tournament. I wasn't the only one who felt the best goalie, far and away, at least on that particular weekend, was Alaska-Anchorage's Chris King. That guy stood on his head for the play-in game (AA defeated Colorado College 4-1) and again against North Dakota in the semi-final (Sioux 4-2 victors). King stopped 44 of 45 shots against the Tigers and 41 of 45 shots against the Sioux, a .931 save percentage. Contrast that with Mr. Briggs' effort of 27 out of 31 against UMD and 35 out of 38 against UND (a .899 performance).

The same fans booing this year were the very same ones cheering wildly three years ago when Minny's Kellen Briggs got voted all-tournament. I wasn't the only one who felt the best goalie, far and away, at least on that particular weekend, was Alaska-Anchorage's Chris King. That guy stood on his head for the play-in game (AA defeated Colorado College 4-1) and again against North Dakota in the semi-final (Sioux 4-2 victors). King stopped 44 of 45 shots against the Tigers and 41 of 45 shots against the Sioux, a .931 save percentage. Contrast that with Mr. Briggs' effort of 27 out of 31 against UMD and 35 out of 38 against UND (a .899 performance).

I remember that. Talk about the shaft.

I remember that, that was very surprising. Even as a Gopher fan I was not expecting Briggs to get it.....he didn't have a great weekend....thats for sure.

I was not surprised at all that Lammy got it this year, I think most people just expect the championship goalie to get the award. Buy Lammy played a hell of a weekend of hockey between St. Cloud and Minnesota.

For Frazee to put down some Long Islands before the game and still play decent he should have gotten some kind of award though. :angry:

I guess you weren't at the Ralph last year when Chorney "popped his jersey" after he scored against the Gophers. What Irmen and Wheeler did might not have been classy but they are not the only ones that do it.

I'm sure that someone has replied to this already, but if I search more than 15 seconds for it, I'll get sidetracked...

Pretty sure when Chorney popped his jersey, it was in response to Irmen popping his jersey.

My biggest gripe about gopher fans this weekend is not when the guy in front of turned around and shouted "f&*$ you North Dakota" on one of the goals MN scored against ND. It was the MN band having organized chants of "Sioux suck, Sioux suck."

When your University decides not to play UND in nonconference sports because of UND's "hostile and abusive" nickname, why does the band director have the band do this. That would be my definition of classless.

My biggest gripe about gopher fans this weekend is not when the guy in front of turned around and shouted "f&*$ you North Dakota" on one of the goals MN scored against ND. It was the MN band having organized chants of "Sioux suck, Sioux suck."

When your University decides not to play UND in nonconference sports because of UND's "hostile and abusive" nickname, why does the band director have the band do this. That would be my definition of classless.

Because he is hostile and abusive?

I'm sure that someone has replied to this already, but if I search more than 15 seconds for it, I'll get sidetracked...

Pretty sure when Chorney popped his jersey, it was in response to Irmen popping his jersey.

Doesn't matter to me. I wasn't in favor of Chorney's jersey popping either.

Going to be wide-open old time hockey this weekend. 3 teams loaded with NHL picks who do not play the trap. Should be a blast. Ned Braden would love it...

No way. Minnesota will try and employ some sort of trap. You watch.

sure, but if you go back to the posts during that game, you will see irman called every name in the book, he was the lowest, least classy player ever, fans saying a UND player would never, ever do that, etc. Yet, just as soon as chorney did it, suddenly it was just fine, and it was OK with the world, and chorney was a class act. as a very cynical person, it was one of my all time favorite showing of massive amounts of hypocrisy.

Actually I don't think the jersey pop was that big of a deal, any of them. In fact, nor was the Kessel cupped ear that big of a deal. The NFL players do a lot worse after they score a touch down or make a tackle. This is about as silly as the Sioux being ripped for wearing their hats too soon after they won the NCAA tourney against B.C.

Yet, just as soon as chorney did it, suddenly it was just fine, and it was OK with the world, and chorney was a class act. as a very cynical person, it was one of my all time favorite showing of massive amounts of hypocrisy.

I watched that game on TV, happy, and you're painting a broad stroke onto Sioux fans here. As sick as I was watching Irmen showcase "me me me," I wanted to throw up when I saw Chorney do a retaliatory strike. At the time, Chorney's goal cut the Sioux deficit from 5-2 to 5-3, hardly a time for bringing attention to yourself.

I watched that game on TV, happy, and you're painting a broad stroke onto Sioux fans here. As sick as I was watching Irmen showcase "me me me," I wanted to throw up when I saw Chorney do a retaliatory strike. At the time, Chorney's goal cut the Sioux deficit from 5-2 to 5-3, hardly a time for bringing attention to yourself.

Actually, Chorney's goal made it a 4-2 game. But your point is still a valid one.

Ok, is this unsportsmanlike? When the Gopher fans were chanting "let's go gophers" the avatar leaned over to me and goes "let's go cupcakes"

Yes, but its really cute. :angry:

My mini-me's are teenagers, so they do things like:

Announcer: "Minnesota full strength"

Mini-me's, in unison: "And they still suck!"

Yes, but its really cute. :angry:

My mini-me's are teenagers, so they do things like:

Announcer: "Minnesota full strength"

Mini-me's, in unison: "And they still suck!"

well........as long as were being honest, later on in the game she leaned over and said, "Gop-hers su-ck" instead of cupcakes.