SiouxSports.com Forum

sioux/denver game 2

Siouxrock

I have my wifes GOPHER champioship t-shirt from last year.  Just say the word and I am in the back yard once again. ???

Burn it, Burn it. Fire, Fire, Fire...

Make sure to burn it in the back yard. Great win tonight. Show a lot of character and heart. This win should give the lads some confidence for tomorrow.

With the win in O.T. UND now is tied with MSU-M for 10th in the PWR rankings. Way to go boys...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from Senser's. Man does it feel great to win this game. I get in the car and what is on the radio? FREEBIRD! Yeah, Baby. And it was just starting.

And to follow it up? "Another One Bites the Dust"

My thoughts:

The penalty on Greene near the end of the second period looked bogus to me. The guy fell over on his own. That sucked.

But I must be honest that from what I could see on TV, the officiating did not look as bad as I thought from listening earlier. On the other hand, I think the Sioux only suffered one penalty while I watched on TV, so the tide may have turned by then.

Sioux played alright but could have lost the game. Sioux played VERY hard, but so did Denver. Denver did a great job of clogging the neutral zone, and the Sioux had difficulty getting anything going in transition. Whoever was earlier calling for 2 line passes, well, they were trying that and it was failing regularly. They needed to quickly move the puck a short distance to the open guy and just try to keep things moving down the ice.

Brandt seemed to play well. The first goal I think he was screened on. If not, he would have extended his right leg and butterflied it out and blocked the opening. The second goal was just a great move, and Jake dang near got that one too.

But what really bummed me out was Bochenski gets stoned on an awesome chance by Dubbie, and the Pios come right back down the ice and put one in on their own great chance. That seemed to be the story of the team the last month +.

However, the team didn't cave. They did keep working but couldn't generate too many good chances. Then the penalty on the pioneers gave us a chance and the rest is history.

From what I could see on the TV, R Hale was definitely leading by example. He was really working hard and fast on the ice tonite.

The line of Genoway, Connelly and Canady were also creating some chances, in fact Connelly got off a real nice shot that Dubbie got. That line could do some damage if they keep playing. Canady looks quicker than I remember out there. Good to see him on the ice.

Brandt came FLYING out of the locker room to start the OT period. The starting line also came out fast. They looked like they were wanting to go and it showed. A stupid clearing attempt right away nearly gave the Pios the chance they needed to end the game, but Brandt made the stop. The Sioux came right down the ice and Denver really never had a chance. This is one of those situations where, if you were a fan of the losing team, I think you can see the goal coming about 30 seconds ahead of time. The Sioux were peppering Dubbie, he was twisting around trying to find the puck, the Sioux were getting to the loose pucks and putting good shots on goal. It would really have sucked if that shot didn't go in.

But it did. Dubbie is a great goalie. Snags everying, almost no rebounds.

The fans stayed and cheered for quite a while after the game. Hopefully the guys can pull it out tomorrow. From a graphic on one of the tv's, it looked like Woog had already put Denver in the Final Five. Let's show him up.

Go SIOUX!!!!

Unfortunately so will Berkoel (sp?). Brandt has to go for the Sioux. I was thinking of Denver's fatigue as well, especially since MacKenzie and Caldwell play a ton. It wasn't a shock to me that McMahon scored when MacKenzie was in the box, as he's usually out there killing the penalty otherwise.

Just back from Mexico...heard some of the game over 950 out of Denver.

According to their announcers, the head of officiating of the WCHA had warned the officials to call it tight due to some "rough play" of the Sioux on Friday night. This warning was supposedly given to the coaches of both sides. What gives?

Also...he apparantly doesn't like Matt Greene...constantly reminding the audience that he is the most penalized player in the WCHA and is a primary reason for the action of the WCHA officiating crew on Saturday night.

Just thought I'd fuel the fire a bit! ???

It's amazing how some small things add up to a big difference in outcome.

First, Brandt makes a couple saves more than "anybody" could have done. He was very good tonight, especially glove hand. Somewhere DU's scouting report must have said "shoot high" and he kept taking it away from him.

Second, the Sioux PK was just a tad better. Things could have gotten REALLY UGLY if DU had scored on any of the first period penalties.

Third, Shepard. While there were at least 4 bogus calls on the Sioux, the holding call on Parise was THE SINGLE WORST penalty I've seen in almost 30 years of watching WCHA hockey... good heavens ... I agree with the earlier conspirator comments that he was gonna damn well make sure he wasn't going to be intimidated by complaints from the Sioux side. BUT, bless his heart, he did NOT call at least 4-5 penalties while the Sioux were shorthanded ... slashing, hooking, tripping, we deserved to be down another man several times. Of course the original call was often horsebleep, so maybe it becomes a makeup call.

Fourth, WE laid some body on the Pios tonight, and I think it had a hand in the final outcome. They looked dog tired in the third period (maybe its the elevation ha), and all those hits gotta take some zing out of your step. And we kept our feet moving, kept skating thru all the crap, all the sticks, all the arms, all the uncalled garbage that DU does so well.

Fifth, and this is a hard stat to keep track of, but FACEOFFS. McMahon and Parise, who take nearly all the draws in-zone, were outstanding tonight. Parise was 15-5 (75%!!) and McMahon was 19-6 (76%!!). If we start the play with the puck, it makes PK way easier, the PP gets setup. As a team we won about 55-60% on Friday, but that was over 70% Saturday. I thought we were doing well, but that's simply outstanding.

====================

Tip of the cap to:

1 Andy Schneider. He was just plain excellent everywhere on the ice ...

2 Lee Marvin, again with a strong night, especially early on the PK some strong play around the Sioux net.

3 Notermann and Spiewak, especially on the PK. They seem dang near impenetrable at times. They clearly scare the wad out of DU players, so much so that they force turnovers just by skating fast at one of the slow-footed Pios.

4 Jake Brandt. Solid, emotional, focused. Stayed in the net ???.

5 Ryan Hale, leading by example. One play in the third was my favorite. After he got breakout passes deflected or missed by a teammate, it was like he said "dang it I'll do it myself, then". He skated the puck behind Brandt, skated right up the slot, across all three lines at center, into the DU zone and fired a tricky wrister that forced a faceoff.

Constructive criticism to:

1 Brian Canady. Should / could have been called for a major spearing penalty. He plays with fire, and we need the physical presence - like the bodychecks he throws - but we can't afford ANY majors at this time of year.

2 Coaches. Track the ice time ... The top PP guys looked leg weary late in the second, and then DU scored their PPG when a DU guy (Barber?) outmuscles a (tired?) Bochenski in front of the Sioux net. I can't criticize for using or even overusing our best guys on the PP, but we have lots of guys who do PK well.

Nice effort, all things considered.

Nice crowd too. Enthusiastic. Good to see it coming back..... :)

I would definitely play Prpich tonight. Fatigue is going to be a big factor tonight, and the only thing Prpich will be tired from is fending off adoring admirers in the stands on Saturday. I would also consider playing Palmiscno for the same reason. I think the most tired groups will be, in order:

Denver's top defense pair

UND's top line

The rest of the defensemen

Denver's forwards

UND's forwards

The Sioux should have an edge in the second, third and fourth line play. Some of those guys haven't scored much. Now would be a nice time for some of them to chip one in.

(Legally) throw the body around in the first and wear them down by the end of the game.

Fifth, and this is a hard stat to keep track of, but FACEOFFS.  McMahon and Parise, who take nearly all the draws in-zone, were outstanding tonight.  Parise was 15-5 (75%!!) and McMahon was 19-6 (76%!!).  If we start the play with the puck, it makes PK way easier, the PP gets setup. As a team we won about 55-60% on Friday, but that was over 70% Saturday.  I thought we were doing well, but that's simply outstanding.

Close, as the GFH has the faceoffs 44-25 Sioux (63.7%, to be exact). An important stat since the DU holding that negates the cycling ends up as faceoffs in the Denver end. Good to make them pay by winning the faceoffs, and getting good scoring chances, scoring more off the won faceoffs would be even better.

The two lost faceoffs (Denver won) at the beginnings of the 5 on 3 were big for Denver, as the two man advantage was essentially elimated because of it.

Really have to give out props to Jake Brandt. Jake gave the team a chance to win. In baseball, that's what Tom Kelly always used to ask of his starting pitchers. Just give us a chance to win.

If Jake can do the same tonite (I predict he starts) then I think the Sioux WILL win. The rest of the team will carry through.

As stated, you have to really give the Sioux, especially Parise and McMahon credit for winning face-offs. Until this year I really didn't grasp the importance. I do remember losing them all last year. What a difference a year makes. We win faceoffs AND we have a transition game.

???

You guys, keep up the real-time updates on tonight's game #3 as it happens, as per the last two games. I'll be checking in on the progress. Don't care who, just somebody/anybody.

Thanks, and sorry I couldn't make the POI-UND game as your netminder. Go Sioux!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As stated, you have to really give the Sioux, especially Parise and McMahon credit for winning face-offs.

Although, as Blais pointed out after the game, when the Sioux twice had 5-on-3 power plays in their zone, they lost those faceoffs and didn't really generate any quality scoring chances as a result. But overall, he was very pleased with how well the Sioux have been doing on faceoffs over the past month and a half. He's said that's been one of the few bright spots for the team.

The Shepard crew is leaving GF, and the Campion crew is leaving Duluth. Wonder if they trade places for tonight?

Campion did not leave Duluth, as he is doing the game there right now. Does that mean Shepard stayed in GF. Will know soon.