SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2007

The Sicatoka

I'm a bit worried about the quarterbacking and the play of the offensive line behind the number ones. I know there is the summer and fall camp to work through some things, but I wasn't overly impressed with some of the decision making by the quarterbacks or somewhat the lack of getting the ball down the field.

I'm a bit worried about the quarterbacking and the play of the offensive line behind the number ones. I know there is the summer and fall camp to work through some things, but I wasn't overly impressed with some of the decision making by the quarterbacks or somewhat the lack of getting the ball down the field.

I thought Freund did pretty well. I don't foresee any quarterback controversy, as Freund seems to be the clear number one. It was a little disappointing that there was pretty much no attempt to throw the ball down the field, at least by the first-teamers, but Freund did well with the short passes, particularly to Chappell. Konrath definitely struggled. Part of it was apparently the footing, as the turf seemed to be pretty slick. Weston Dressler didn't play, besides fielding punts. Interestingly, his brother Ryan is also on the team, which I wasn't aware of before today.

It was kinda funny watching Weston out there, wearing no pads, fielding punts. Why didn't they just get him a recliner to sit in while he fielded the punts?

he looked so little out there.

and Ryan Dressler is listed as a freshman so could he be an incoming freshman? that would explain why he was not on the roster last year.

The following is the 2-deep spring depth chart listed on the program yesterday:

QB

1. Freund

2. Konrath

RB

1. Chappell

2. Brady

FB

1. Sorbo

2. Tibesar

WR

1. Trenbeath

2. Rambeck

WR

1. Dressler

2. Nicholas

TE

1. Grover

2. Ott

LT

1. Bauer

2. Mueske

LG

1. Troen

2. Hiltner

C

1. Braegelmann

2. Koelln

RG

1. Moe

2. Keller

RT

1. Hoffelt

2. Bondy

LE

1. Richter

2. DeMontigny

NG

1. Nolte

2. Bakke

RE

1. Cadwell

2. White

OLB

1. Dombrovski

2. Tescher

ILB

1. Meek

2. Miller

ILB

1. Holinka

2. German

OLB

1. Stroup

2. Bodoh

LCB

1. Weigelt

2. Otto

RCB

1. Alexander

2. Jordan

SS

1. Malner

2. Leith

FS

1. Manke

2. Heiser

The only big surprise to me was Nate Wayne's omission. He's still listed on the roster, but he's not listed on the 2-deep despite being the number 2 last year behind Wolff.

The two apparent early defections I noticed were Dylan Glaser and Adam Ward, both of whom red-shirted last year.

I guess Nick Saban was an OK choice. :wink: Of course, the honeymoon will be over after the first notch in the L column. :)

The previous record for Alabama was 51,000 in 1988 at Legion Field in Birmingham. The five "Fear the Thumb" victories by Auburn over Alabama is driving Tide fans absolutely nuts. Alabama fans were approaching outright rebellion, so the UA administration spent $8 million to buyout Shula and $4 million annually on Saban and messed up the whole cost structure of college football. Kind of reminiscent of NDSU's response after UND football gained supremacy.

The previous record for Alabama was 51,000 in 1988 at Legion Field in Birmingham. The five "Fear the Thumb" victories by Auburn over Alabama is driving Tide fans absolutely nuts. Alabama fans were approaching outright rebellion, so the UA administration spent $8 million to buyout Shula and $4 million annually on Saban and messed up the whole cost structure of college football. Kind of reminiscent of NDSU's response after UND football gained supremacy.

I believe Sportcenter reported that only 5 or 6 schools average more than that during the regular season.

he looked so little out there.

and Ryan Dressler is listed as a freshman so could he be an incoming freshman? that would explain why he was not on the roster last year.

Just to clear this up, but no, he's not an incoming freshman. He was up here at UND this year.

After playing them both in high school (at least in basketball) and watching them in football, I would say Ryan is definitely smaller and not as quick as Weston.

Just to clear this up, but no, he's not an incoming freshman. He was up here at UND this year.

After playing them both in high school (at least in basketball) and watching them in football, I would say Ryan is definitely smaller and not as quick as Weston.

I had a question mark because I didn't know. if you look at the spring roster, Ryan is actually listed as an inch taller and a pound heavier. I agree though that you can't compare him to Weston's standards because he is not Weston.

The following is the 2-deep spring depth chart listed on the program yesterday:

QB

1. Freund

2. Konrath

RB

1. Chappell

2. Brady

FB

1. Sorbo

2. Tibesar

WR

1. Trenbeath

2. Rambeck

WR

1. Dressler

2. Nicholas

TE

1. Grover

2. Ott

LT

1. Bauer

2. Mueske

LG

1. Troen

2. Hiltner

C

1. Braegelmann

2. Koelln

RG

1. Moe

2. Keller

RT

1. Hoffelt

2. Bondy

LE

1. Richter

2. DeMontigny

NG

1. Nolte

2. Bakke

RE

1. Cadwell

2. White

OLB

1. Dombrovski

2. Tescher

ILB

1. Meek

2. Miller

ILB

1. Holinka

2. German

OLB

1. Stroup

2. Bodoh

LCB

1. Weigelt

2. Otto

RCB

1. Alexander

2. Jordan

SS

1. Malner

2. Leith

FS

1. Manke

2. Heiser

The only big surprise to me was Nate Wayne's omission. He's still listed on the roster, but he's not listed on the 2-deep despite being the number 2 last year behind Wolff.

The two apparent early defections I noticed were Dylan Glaser and Adam Ward, both of whom red-shirted last year.

Adam Ward is trying to mend a bad back and is welcome to return. Dylan Glaser apparently forgot that he also needed to be a student which resulted in very poor grades.

What's the view on these inexperienced positions?

I think Freund will be fine. Over the years, it seems like quarterbacks who had to wait several years to get their shot (e.g. Wahl, Greenwaldt, Stein and Manke) generally did well, and I didn't see anything in the spring game to suggest Freund won't be successful, as well. I have no idea what kind of cover skills Weigelt has, but he seems to be a very sure tackler. Holinka and Malner both played quite a bit last year, so I'm not worried about either of them. At this point, my biggest concern may be backup quarterback. It's been awhile since we've gone through an entire season with the same quarterback starting all the games, and whether anybody besides Freund is really game-ready is a question.

Ryan will be a Soph. in school this fall. He decided to walk on.

I have been talking to some old friends that used to play at UND, and one of them, I will not mention his name, spoke very highly of Ryan Dressler. I expect some big things from him in the future. Remember Dave Wistoff walked on at UND and turned into one of the best fullbacks in program history. Ryan could be the next great Sioux Walk-on.

I have been talking to some old friends that used to play at UND, and one of them, I will not mention his name, spoke very highly of Ryan Dressler. I expect some big things from him in the future.

I saw Ryan play for the Demons a couple times.

He's not the biggest or strongest or fastest guy, he just knows how to play, was my impression.

I thought he ended up out west (UMary or Dickinson State). I'm glad to see he's at UND.

ryan did have a nice catch and run at the spring game. I agree that he isn't as fast or quick as weston but how many people are? He should be a good player and maybe be competing for the 5th wide reciever spot this coming year. Freund played well at the spring game. Didn't seem to make any mental errors and directed the offense well. It will be interesting to see how the number 2 spot pans out between konrath and landry. konrath appeared to struggle and appeared to get flustered a little. Landry played well, showed some promise with some good throws but probably needs to learn the offense a little more. I've heard from a couple of players that konrath could be moved to wide reciever if landry wins the number two spot like groeschl did a few years back. Overall, i wasn't as impressed with the spring game as i was last year at the alerus, possibly becuase of the wet turf. Also a smaller crowd then last year it seemed like.

What's up with Jake Caufield? He looked good a season ago and was apparently hurt this past season. Is something wrong, or will he be a player next season?

He wasn't in uniform for the spring game, but I believe he's expected to be ready to go this fall.