SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2007

The Sicatoka

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

My prediction on best contest for a starting role: QB.

I've heard that the QB depth chart reads Freund, Konrath, Landry. Is that accurate?

I agree that this competition will be extremely intriguing. It makes for an unusual situation, at least for UND, in that the offense is basically set (and stacked) at every position EXCEPT quarterback. My guess is that the depth chart you listed is accurate, if for no other reason than it follows seniority. However, as we saw last year with the running back depth chart, things can change rather quickly. I think Chappell was something like 5th last spring.

I agree that this competition will be extremely intriguing. It makes for an unusual situation, at least for UND, in that the offense is basically set (and stacked) at every position EXCEPT quarterback. My guess is that the depth chart you listed is accurate, if for no other reason than it follows seniority. However, as we saw last year with the running back depth chart, things can change rather quickly. I think Chappell was something like 5th last spring.

Any chance of Setness moving up on the chart?

Any chance of Setness moving up on the chart?

There's no clear-cut favorite in this horse race; there's just the current leader (Freund). If someone stumbles the field runs for the lead. If Brock can do the job, Brock'll do the job, but Dan's on the inside rail right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Barring a complete showing of ineptitude, I can't imagine that Freund will not win the job going into the season. I'm really looking forward to seeing who steps up in the secondary. We had some issues in the defensive backfield last year, it'll be interesting to see who steps in beside Alexader and Manke this year.

Barring a complete showing of ineptitude, I can't imagine that Freund will not win the job going into the season. I'm really looking forward to seeing who steps up in the secondary. We had some issues in the defensive backfield last year, it'll be interesting to see who steps in beside Alexader and Manke this year.

I have to think Derek Malner is the heavy favorite to emerge as the starter at strong safety. At the other corner, the competition may be a little more wide open. I expect Drake Otto to ultimately win the job, but Brandon Jordan is another viable candidate, and I'm not sure what the status of Tyler Weigelt is. He was apparently injured early in the season, but entered the year as Hoffschneider's backup.

I tend to agree that the quarterback job is Freund's to lose, but then again, as was shown with USD last year, it's not out of the question for a freshman to ultimately win the job. Not that I'm wishing any ill will towards Freund, but if another quarterback is better this spring--be it Landry, Konrath, Gudmunson or Setness--I hope that person gets a shot.

Herald article on spring ball.

UND: Names change, but results don't

Despite returning only three starters, UND's defense won't enter the 2007 season inexperienced. A number of first-year starters have considerable playing time.

Drake Otto likely will start at the other cornerback. He's one of the Sioux players who didn't start last year but still managed to log playing time. Otto is like most Sioux defensive players, following the same path during their careers.

UND coach Dale Lennon said the health of Weigelt could be the key to the Sioux secondary. Weigelt was on the verge of becoming a major contributor last season before an ankle injury limited him to four games.

In addition to Alexander and Otto at the corners, the Sioux secondary will be filled out by safeties Rory Manke and Derek Malner.

Is Marcus Tibesar related to Tim Tibesar?

Controlled Scrimmage Today at Spring Practice....What a Great Day!!!! (Weather)

Defense look great right out of the gate, played with alot of emotion, couple picks, couple forced fumbles, one recovery taken to the house by Battle (Moved from RB to DB)........We have some LB's that are going to get after it!!

Look for Schwenzfeier to get in the mix as a Freshmen in Def Backfield.....

As the scrimmage wore on the Offense got into a litte rythum strung together some 1st downs and scored a couple times...

Freund and Konrath taking most of snaps...with Landry and Setness getting few..? Freund, Konrath looked even, slight edge to Konrath as the O moved the ball better when he was in..... Landry throws the nicest ball of the group but did not complete a pass in 4 attempts (3 drops).....Recievers struggled a little catching and holding on to the football....

Chappel only played 1st series, and Dressler did not play...... Offense at a little disadvantage missing 6 Olineman with School, Track, or dinged up...

All in All fairly good scrimmage..... Kicking was not 100% , but timing a bit off with back up snapper in, once again School requirments, and track for some of the front line guys...

Thanks for the update, Walrus!

There's a couple articles in the Herald about spring ball today too.

Sioux defense dominates in first scrimmage

The Sioux scrimmaged for the first time, and the results were predictable. The defense, long regarded as UND's strength, made most of the big plays.

"The defense had the upper hand," UND coach Dale Lennon said. "The positive in that is the defense was a concern going into spring ball. There were some pretty good hits out there."

All four UND quarterbacks played. Danny Freund ran the first offense, while his backups were Ryan Konrath, Jake Landry and Brock Setness.

"We put the ball on the turf a few times and there were some picks," Lennon said of the Sioux offense. "That's something we need to eliminate."

From rivals to teammates

UND will open its 2007 season with perhaps its youngest linebacking corps in recent seasons.

Only one senior is projected to start weak side linebacker Robbie Meek. Junior Brent Holinka likely will start at strong side linebacker, while the starting outside linebackers will be sophomore Bobby Stroup and sophomore Noah Dombrovski.

Of the four linebacker positions, which include 15 players, the Sioux enter this season with only one senior and three juniors.

"We're young and inexperienced at linebacker," Mannausau said. "We still don't have a Digger Anderson who will strike fear into everybody. But as long as the guys we have do their jobs, we'll be fine."

And that includes German and Kasowski, who likely will head the next wave of linebackers long regarded as the strength of the defensive-minded Sioux.

spread the wealth...that's what I always say! (at least in a movie drop! :silly: ) So it saves the athletic department a couple THOU renting the Al for this - so what! It's kind of fun moving it around - east side deserves some love and it's ALWAYS GOOD to be back at Memorial! (unless some of you weiners think being outside is TOO UNPREDICTABLE...I have 1 WORD FOR YOU!!! ...republicans... :silly: )

spread the wealth...that's what I always say! (at least in a movie drop! :silly: ) So it saves the athletic department a couple THOU renting the Al for this - so what! It's kind of fun moving it around - east side deserves some love and it's ALWAYS GOOD to be back at Memorial! (unless some of you weiners think being outside is TOO UNPREDICTABLE...I have 1 WORD FOR YOU!!! ...republicans... :silly: )

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Athletic Dept. saves a few bucks, but the Spring game could not be held at the Al because GF Red River is holding their prom there.