SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Buning and Gene Taylor on KFGO Today

CDog

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don't exist then. Thanks for informing me.

Your guise is a complete fake.

After NDSU fans started saying that they didn't want to play UND ever again, you felt hurt and needed to get back at them. So in a childish copycat routine, you decided to claim the same.

It's all garbage and in 2009 you'll be at the first NDSU/UND game in 6 years cheering the Sioux on.

Uh, no.

Q: What initially triggered Buning to be asked about or even bring up a common open date?

A: (Another) Fargo Forum story about NDSU's 2007 football schedule and the number of open dates.

And when you say Fargo Forum you've said NDSU Athletics PR machine: It's Taylor, or Kolpack. But it's not Buning.

And Ed?

He was looking to start an on-air (ratings!) cat fight after the story broke. (We all know Ed that well, don't we?)

Tom wouldn't give it to him; Gene didn't either.

Bravo LTC Buning et al.

Actually, as much as it pains me, I have to agree with Bison Dan here. Sicatoka is right that the reason the conversation is taking place now is because NDSU is currently in the hurt bag as far as a home schedule goes for 2007. It is nearly March, and what, probably a minimum of 85% of FCS schools have their schedules set by now? But lets also remember that Buning was on the job for about 60 days when he first offered to play NDSU at a neutral site such as the Metrodome. The reason is obviously not because UND needs the game. UND could certainly get on the schedule of many prominent FCS programs, just like they did last year with UNI. They could also pay a guarantee to a number of willing DII opponents and reap the benefits of an extra home game. But, he wants it because he is removed from the past history, and even moreso because he actually understands the importance of the rivalry and that the fans and alumni of both schools want it. I stated in my original post in this thread that I was worried that Buning would come off as "begging" for a game. Clearly that is not the case. However, I feel that Buning and UND want this game in Fargo more than NDSU does. But I also think that the reason Taylor is not receptive to it is because A) he is being vindictive (and has hurt feelings because big mean old RT was mean to him), or B) because he is not a good business administrator. As far as the potenetial 2007 game in Fargo goes, UND has very little benefit. NDSU on the other hand has the opportunity to make a s*it-pile of money, have a sell-out home game, be on state-wide TV (plus certainly be on the FSSN which reaches 3 states and many more), and (in the mind of many bitter Bison fans) come out as the bigger person. I have had alot of respect for the way the Gene Taylor has led NDSU into their transition to DI, but currently, if I were a "Teammaker", I would really be scratching my head.

Personally, I would like to see that game in 2007 because I miss the rivalry. But at the same time, I know that UND could do better from both a playoff standpoint and a fiscal standpoint by either taking a larger guarantee from a different FCS opponent or from bringing in a NW region opponent for a home game. Either way, the games are sure to continue at somepoint in the near future, I have no problem waiting a few years, but since both schools have common open dates for 2007, what is the point?

As long a UND is a DI counter, what difference does it make whether SU is in the Gateway? If SU made the transition without playing UND, what makes you think that UND can't do it without playing SU?

I never said that. UND certainly can, and I think will, do just fine without playing SU.

No such people actually exist.

When UND decided not to play NDSU, a lot of NDSU fans were very hurt.

That pain turned to anger which then manifested itself as those fans pretending that they never want to play UND again.

In turn, some UND fans matched that with a similar "we should never play them again" guise to get back at the NDSU fans saying that.

It's all one big s*it smelling stink circle.

Once 2009 comes around we can finally flush all that BS down the tubes. All those pretenders will, of course, be first in line for tickets to the games and things will go right back to where they were in 2003 and before, as it should be.

Mpls, you are so deep in denial it's stunning. Gene Taylor himself said that 50% of NDSU fans are against scheduling UND.

I think he's a bit closer to the situation than anyone on this board.

If the game isn't played there will be one reason and one reason alone and it's because ndsu is afraid they will lose. It's simple as that. Don't let Creepy Craig, Mean Gene, or Timmy fool you. The whole group between them have less cahones than 12 year old school girls and it's starting to show.

If the game isn't played there will be one reason and one reason alone and it's because ndsu is afraid they will lose. It's simple as that. Don't let Creepy Craig, Mean Gene, or Timmy fool you. The whole group between them have less cahones than 12 year old school girls and it's starting to show.

Hmm, afraid they'll lose, eh? Let's see, last year when NDSU needed to fill out the last game on its schedule, rather than schedule UND, which also had an open date, they scheduled a Big Ten team. This year who was the first team NDSU tried to schedule when Montana State canceled its scheduled game at the FargoDome? That would be Appalachian State the 2-time defending DIAA champions. What other possiblities are there instead of UND this year? Well, one is WAC and D1 FBS member the University of Nevada.

Yeah, you're right NDSU is obviously terrified of losing to a DII team.

We now have a "cahones" reference.

Hmm, afraid they'll lose, eh? Let's see, last year when NDSU needed to fill out the last game on its schedule, rather than schedule UND, which also had an open date, they scheduled a Big Ten team. This year who was the first team NDSU tried to schedule when Montana State canceled its scheduled game at the FargoDome? That would be Appalachian State the 2-time defending DIAA champions. What other possiblities are there instead of UND this year? Well, one is WAC and D1 FBS member the University of Nevada.

Yeah, you're right NDSU is obviously terrified of losing to a DII team.

Now while I agree with you, Gothmog, on the fact that NDSU is not scared to play anyone, there is a difference in scheduling UND or a FBS or FCS team. If NDSU loses to a top ranked FCS team, people say well they lost to a very good team. If they lose to a FBS team, people say they were supposed tog et beat. If they lose to UND, all hell break lose. There is a risk to scheduling UND but I don't think that what's holding them totally back from adding the Sioux on the schedule.

You know what, Taylor was never going to say this on Eddie's show but the reason NDSU isn't going to play UND until 2009 is that UND wouldn't schedule NDSU in either football or basketball when we went DI. Thats the reason, fear has nothing to do with it. I suppose Taylor didn't say that because Eddie would have ripped into him and the last time he said UND made their own bed.... it didn't play very well in the press. Gene can't hold that grudge forever though and that is why the two will play in 2009. Any Bison fan that thinks NDSU will never again play UND is going to be dissapointed and you are going to be even more dissapointed when you find out it will once again be a yearly event. Taylor said he doesn't want to stop the rivalry after restarting it and playing the game just makes way too much sense for both sides.

Gene Taylor himself said that 50% of NDSU fans are against scheduling UND.

He's never said any such thing.

I believe he said that he had emails from some NDSU fans that didn't want to play UND. Maybe even 50 fans.

But 50% no.

You wish, as part of your fakeness.

In 2009, of course, you'll be at the games.

He's never said any such thing.

I believe he said that he had emails from some NDSU fans that didn't want to play UND. Maybe even 50 fans.

But 50% no.

You wish, as part of your fakeness.

In 2009, of course, you'll be at the games.

No you are wrong. I listened to the interview. He said 50% for and also against. Where you come up with some of this stuff is beyond me.

I'm starting to believe that some Bison fans would like to see this thread continue until the two teams do play each other. I think that it is safe to say that it isn't going to happen until 2009 at the earliest. If it isn't in the best interest of both schools it isn't going to happen. I have no problem with that. Can we bury this thread until such time as they do play each other? :lol:

I'm starting to believe that some Bison fans would like to see this thread continue until the two teams do play each other. I think that it is safe to say that it isn't going to happen until 2009 at the earliest. If it isn't in the best interest of both schools it isn't going to happen. I have no problem with that. Can we bury this thread until such time as they do play each other? :lol:

++