SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SEAWOLVES

AZSIOUX

I'll disagree. This is different than the "He blew a call" or whatever things. The NCAA enforces a no fight rule. When there is a no fight rule in place (one I actually favor, so don't get the wrong opinion), you have to counter the reasoning for allowing fights in other ways. The most obvious way to do it is to have coaches and players on board with this and play in a style that doesn't resort to cheap shots and poor sportsmanship. Of course, that's rather idealistic and naive. So, the practical solution is to add enforcement and protection aspects to the rule book and, hence, the officials' jobs. Friesema, as a ref in this league, has to step up and protect the players on both sides. He failed to do that. It teetered on the brink last night and was out of control at times tonight. He has to set the tone of what is and isn't allowed and Friesema didn't do that.

As for the HE incident, holy cow.... am I understanding this right? An HE official confronted a player? Or did a player confront the official? WOW! I think HE may be short an official! This has definitely been a notable year in the area of officiating.... Means and perhaps Jutting accosting Campion and now Hanson pretty much ending his HEA career.

Lives-to-Play- Really? Somehow your response doesn't surprise me in the least.

Finley, Zajac, and Kaip played MAGNIFICENTLY tonight despite not registering a point. Props to Kaip (again) and Radke for taking on players who were bigger than they were. Anderson had 3 inches and something like 11 pounds on Kaip (6'1 200 vs 6'4" 211 or so IIRC).

As for if this was the best game we've had all season... I don't know.. defensively the Saturday game vs. CC was pretty darn good. Offensively speaking, yeah, I think this is right up there.

Actually this is the first ref that I have seen this year that I like. Once the fight transpired it actually settled the game down and the boys played hockey. I think the NCAA rule of no fighting actually makes the games more dangerous for the players. I saw two UAA players this weekend swing their sticks at a Sioux player. If these two morons had actually connected God knows what kind of injury would have transpired. If that kids knows he had to fight he wouldn't be swinging that stick, or not for long.

I think UAA is one of the cheaper teams in this league and there is a reason these guys had a bench clearing brawl with C.C. I like what I say this weekend. The Sioux players picked the right time and pretty much owned the Sea Wolves all weekend. We were one stupid pass away from a sweep this weekend. I think we finally wiped that stupid grin off of Lawson's face this weekend too. The boys lit him up.

A STAT of Note

I watched the FSN broadcast of Wisconsin and Minnesota this morning at work and They put up a stat that I wasn't aware of.

We have the same number of points in the WCHA that we had last season. Actually I believe we are two points ahead of last years pace with the win. We will see I guess.

Edited by Goon

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone notice in the post game hand shakes. I thought all of the UAA coaches did not stay on the ice to shake the players hands. Thought they did with Hak but then walked off, saw a couple of players looking for them. If this was the case pretty lame!!

I'll disagree. This is different than the "He blew a call" or whatever things. The NCAA enforces a no fight rule. When there is a no fight rule in place (one I actually favor, so don't get the wrong opinion), you have to counter the reasoning for allowing fights in other ways. The most obvious way to do it is to have coaches and players on board with this and play in a style that doesn't resort to cheap shots and poor sportsmanship. Of course, that's rather idealistic and naive. So, the practical solution is to add enforcement and protection aspects to the rule book and, hence, the officials' jobs. Friesema, as a ref in this league, has to step up and protect the players on both sides. He failed to do that. It teetered on the brink last night and was out of control at times tonight. He has to set the tone of what is and isn't allowed and Friesema didn't do that.

As for the HE incident, holy cow.... am I understanding this right? An HE official confronted a player? Or did a player confront the official? WOW! I think HE may be short an official! This has definitely been a notable year in the area of officiating.... Means and perhaps Jutting accosting Campion and now Hanson pretty much ending his HEA career.

Lives-to-Play- Really? Somehow your response doesn't surprise me in the least.

Finley, Zajac, and Kaip played MAGNIFICENTLY tonight despite not registering a point. Props to Kaip (again) and Radke for taking on players who were bigger than they were. Anderson had 3 inches and something like 11 pounds on Kaip (6'1 200 vs 6'4" 211 or so IIRC).

As for if this was the best game we've had all season... I don't know.. defensively the Saturday game vs. CC was pretty darn good. Offensively speaking, yeah, I think this is right up there.

Just one example of blowing it was the scuffle Eric Fabian got into early in the game. He was down along the boards in the South end. The whistle blew and the AA player crosschecked him (downward). Then I think he kicked him or stepped on him (could have be inadvertent) That's when Fabian fought his way back up and went after him.

That's got to be called everytime, that action has nothing to do with hockey.

Actually this is the first ref that I have seen this year that I like. Once the fight transpired it actually settled the game down and the boys played hockey. I think the NCAA rule of no fighting actually makes the games more dangerous for the players. I saw two UAA players this weekend swing their sticks at a Sioux player. If these two morons had actually connected God knows what kind of injury would have transpired. If that kids knows he had to fight he wouldn't be swinging that stick, or not for long.

I think UAA is one of the cheaper teams in this league and there is a reason these guys had a bench clearing brawl with C.C. I like what I say this weekend. The Sioux players picked the right time and pretty much owned the Sea Wolves all weekend. We were one stupid pass away from a sweep this weekend. I think we finally wiped that stupid grin off of Lawson's face this weekend too. The boys lit him up.

That's an excellent point. Rarely is a player injured in a straight up fight. Anderson won't miss a game (other than the fighting penalty). Resorting to cheap shots during the play actually can hurt the player.

Of course the best course of action is good officiating. It's my opinion that most fights (not necessarily last nights) are caused by poor officiating. The FIRST thing that needs to be done to get fighting out of college hockey is to call the games properly and fairly. That and the sanctions against fighting that are in place today will pretty much cure any problem there is.

Actually this is the first ref that I have seen this year that I like.

Totally agree with you. I liked his refing Friday night as well. The boys actually got to play hockey. Was it a perfectly ref'd game? No it wasn't. But it was the best I've seen in quite awhile.

As for Lawson's antics, while unacceptable in our house, are obviously a way to sike (sp) himself and his playmates up for the game. Glad to hear our boys put a stop to it Saturday night.

That's an excellent point. Rarely is a player injured in a straight up fight. Anderson won't miss a game (other than the fighting penalty). Resorting to cheap shots during the play actually can hurt the player.

Of course the best course of action is good officiating. It's my opinion that most fights (not necessarily last nights) are caused by poor officiating. The FIRST thing that needs to be done to get fighting out of college hockey is to call the games properly and fairly. That and the sanctions against fighting that are in place today will pretty much cure any problem there is.

I'm all for a fight if it is the approprate time and the Kaip Anderson bout seemed right Anderson it appeared was trying to set Kaip off all through the first period Hacking at the back of his legs and cross checks while after the play has past. Plus from where I was sitting Porter should have been tossed for Spearing for his hit late in the 3rd since not only did he leave his feet to make contact he led with the blade of his stick. But props to Darcy for sticking up for Porter after the play ended.

Did anyone notice in the post game hand shakes. I thought all of the UAA coaches did not stay on the ice to shake the players hands. Thought they did with Hak but then walked off, saw a couple of players looking for them. If this was the case pretty lame!!

I watched the UAA coaches shake hands with the sioux coaches, but then they left the ice and went down the tunnel before any players could shake their hands. What a real classy group they got.

And for what its worth, that fighting major Anderson got was his 2nd of the year, so he will be gone at least 2 games. :sad:

Totally agree with you. I liked his refing Friday night as well. The boys actually got to play hockey. Was it a perfectly ref'd game? No it wasn't. But it was the best I've seen in quite awhile.

The problem is, the rest of the hockey world, including the NHL, is going in the opposite direction.

The problem is, the rest of the hockey world, including the NHL, is going in the opposite direction.

For the WCHA to go in the same direction as the rest of the hockey world, there have to be major changes made. What we have witnessed time after time is an inconsistency in calls made. Not just against us but other teams as well. The WCHA refs need to either all be fired and a new, properly trained group replace them or the refs we already have need to be trained and instructed in ref'ing as they obviously don't know all the rules of the game and how they apply the rules to all.

There have to be sanctions in place for referee's. They should face fines and suspensions for some of the crap they pull. Review of referees should be made by referees from other divisions in order to be unbiaise.

Shepard should be fired because the crappy ref'ing in the WCHA is his fault. The fish rots from the head down.

I'm glad the boys were agressive, physical and showed the fans and their teammates they were through taking crap this weekend and, hopefully, the rest of the season.

For the WCHA to go in the same direction as the rest of the hockey world, there have to be major changes made.

I agree, but I suspect the response from Bruce McLeod and Greg Shepherd would be: "Look at all the national champhionships won by WCHA teams. We must be doing it right!"

I'm glad the boys were agressive, physical and showed the fans and their teammates they were through taking crap this weekend and, hopefully, the rest of the season.

Me too. I just wish the Sioux didn't have to be 4-7-2 at home before they played with some fire.

I am another one who thought that the officiating this weekend (in total) was a positive from what we have seen. Friday night was not good, as way too much stuff went uncalled. The abuse of Toews was reminiscent of what Zach Parise went through. That is what led to the rough stuff on Saturday night. The officiating did not lose control Saturday night, that was done Friday night. But obviously overnight there was a revelation, because Saturday night's game was one of the best WCHA officiating jobs that I have seen. Yes, the kick to Fabian's head was missed, and and there was an obvious Lawson slash to the back of a Sioux player that should have been called. I disagreed with one or two occasions where I thought UAA should have had an additional penalty. But I did not see any attempt to "even up" the penalties or call "make up" penalties. I also didn't see any obvious phantom penalties called. And it was amazing how Lawson's helmet managed to stay on the whole game. Obviously some pregame officiating took place on that one. This official was a breath of fresh air compared to the "make it up as I go crap" that we have seen for some time. He's shown that he can learn and improve.

For the Sioux, the intensity was obvious from the start, across the entire team. Finley clearing out the front of the net was a joy to watch. And Robbie Bina is simply a to watch. Goaltending was solid. The upsetting part for me was watching Lee cough up the puck both nights. Friday night it led to the game tying goal (coming out from behind the net and coughing up the puck right in the slot). Saturday night, Chorney covered up for Lee (obviously ill-advised cross-ice pass that led to an almost break-away).

Two responses: Goon- I didn't say I didn't like Friesema as an official. Trust me, we all know there are far worse. Is he the best? Don't know. No track record.

Sioux-cia- I agree with your assessment of officiating but something drastic like releasing all of the officials may not be the best. I wonder how many of the "better" officials are merely calling it like Greg dictates it is to be called whether they like it or not?

Officials I'd retain (even if it is only on probation):

Campion

Friesema

Zelkin (if he's still around)

Hunt

Albers

Officials that would be gone:

Adam

Schmidt

Anderson

D. Shepherd (mixed feelings here. When he has a bad game it is REALLY bad. I have seen him call a good game every now and then though...)

Mason

If I've forgotten anyone, who cares.

Anyways, good takes!

Anything on youtube yet? :sad:

Didn't we have Zelkin up here a while ago?

The first thing to do is get rid of Greg Sheppard. After that let the referee's know that they are all on probation. Promise more money to the ones that make the cut.

It's my opinion that Greg Sheppard can make a good referee bad.

Didn't we have Zelkin up here a while ago?

The first thing to do is get rid of Greg Sheppard. After that let the referee's know that they are all on probation. Promise more money to the ones that make the cut.

It's my opinion that Greg Sheppard can make a good referee bad.

I'm working on it I need to figure out how to isolate the fight there is nice camera angles for it though.

Two responses: Goon- I didn't say I didn't like Friesema as an official. Trust me, we all know there are far worse. Is he the best? Don't know. No track record.

Sioux-cia- I agree with your assessment of officiating but something drastic like releasing all of the officials may not be the best. I wonder how many of the "better" officials are merely calling it like Greg dictates it is to be called whether they like it or not?

Officials I'd retain (even if it is only on probation):

Campion

Friesema

Zelkin (if he's still around)

Hunt

Albers

Officials that would be gone:

Adam

Schmidt

Anderson

D. Shepherd (mixed feelings here. When he has a bad game it is REALLY bad. I have seen him call a good game every now and then though...)

Mason

If I've forgotten anyone, who cares.

Anyways, good takes!

Agreed with all except which Albers cause isn't there two?

And I don't believe that we have had Zelkin yet this year, at least not any game I have been to, I miss him too. He always chats with us in the student section.

I watched the UAA coaches shake hands with the sioux coaches, but then they left the ice and went down the tunnel before any players could shake their hands. What a real classy group they got.

And for what its worth, that fighting major Anderson got was his 2nd of the year, so he will be gone at least 2 games. :sad:

I met these guys last week and they were just fine. The head coach in particular was quite friendly. I wouldn't read too much into them not shaking hands.