SiouxSports.com Forum

USA/Canada World Jr. Game

southpaw

What an absolute joke. What the hell is wrong with the USA? It's happened three straight years now and they've gotten worse each year. Next year they'll probably be relegated, that is if it doesn't happen this year. :huh:

They have the talent but never seem to use it. Yuck.

Well, I said weeks ago in the WJ thread that we would get smoked, and we are. These players know they are locks for spots and don't have to work for it after the summer camp. They should be expected to "compete" for those spots right up to the end. We should at least do it the Canadian way and start camp one week early with 40-50 players and make cuts!

I remember being at the hotel that Slovakia was at for the GF WJ the final weekend of Sioux play before it started, and they still had four to send home after their exhibition games. Every practice, every shift mattered.

Our kids are too soft. used to being coddled and promised spots 2 weeks before with no consequences for poor play. It is the fault of the system. They need to be hardened by the fire of play well or go home. That certainly means both physical and mental baptism by fire, too.

USA Hockey is just not as organized as Team Cananda, plus we seem too political in our picks. Many players develop after they have been passed over by the NDTP, and usually those players are left out. Is it to make USA Hockey look good because their NDTP players are selected overwhelmingly? Don't know, but it sure looks that way to me. And it is not doing Team USA any favors.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is hockey isn't popular enough for anything to change. The system sucks, but nothing will be done about it. If the situations were reversed and it was Canada who was failing miserably, Hartsburg would already be on a Cargo Ship back to the Canada being used as a rudder. Hell look what happens when the Canadians get Silver. They are outraged. The USA needs to think a bit like this, Bronze is the bare minimum and not getting a medal is completely unacceptable.

Well, for the third year in a row USA Hockey has managed to waste their talent. I think I said it a couple weeks ago, Canada will whip our ass again, because they pick the best "team" players. USA Hockey is a joke, apparently the "team" concept has not caught on here yet. I would love to see a guy like Dean Blais running USA Hockey. I doubt the US would continue their trend of lackluster performances in international competition. This is a disgrace. Have we learned nothing from the 1980 Olympics?

Usually lines 3 and 4 are asked to fill certain roles, generally defensive roles, while the top 2 do the scoring. Seems that the US lines 3 and 4 have been asked to play a sit on the bench role. As are the dmen after the top 4 (and I'm not sure who the 5, 6, and 7 dmen are). There's got to be depth in the US team, if they don't have it, they should have picked it.

The OT goal by Germany (Chorney letting the Germany forward get between him and the goal) and EJ's screw-ups in the third period today may well have been from total fatigue from logging so much ice time. You picked them, Rolston, best give all of them them a role and let them play.

Well, I said weeks ago in the WJ thread that we would get smoked, and we are. These players know they are locks for spots and don't have to work for it after the summer camp. They should be expected to "compete" for those spots right up to the end. We should at least do it the Canadian way and start camp one week early with 40-50 players and make cuts!

I remember being at the hotel that Slovakia was at for the GF WJ the final weekend of Sioux play before it started, and they still had four to send home after their exhibition games. Every practice, every shift mattered.

Our kids are too soft. used to being coddled and promised spots 2 weeks before with no consequences for poor play. It is the fault of the system. They need to be hardened by the fire of play well or go home. That certainly means both physical and mental baptism by fire, too.

USA Hockey is just not as organized as Team Cananda, plus we seem too political in our picks. Many players develop after they have been passed over by the NDTP, and usually those players are left out. Is it to make USA Hockey look good because their NDTP players are selected overwhelmingly? Don't know, but it sure looks that way to me. And it is not doing Team USA any favors.

Sounds like the Politcal Correctness be nice to everyone is starting to infiltrate our sports something is going to have to change

Sounds like the Politcal Correctness be nice to everyone is starting to infiltrate our sports something is going to have to change

They were talking about the WJC when it was in Boston and apparently Jack Parker told one of the XM boys that the Boston area got more fired up for the Bean Pot then the WJC. They went on to say that it was one of the worst attended junior events in tourney history. I am beginning to think the WJC tourney is an after thought.

Couple nice vids featuring today's Sioux hero, Jonathan Toews. He does a very nice interview; impressive as usual.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

(I'm sure the addresses will change later on)

And Pierre McGuire "Toews steps up for Canada"

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_sto...canadian_hockey

"One of the reasons that I love Jonathan Toews so much is the fact that he's the ultimate competitor. He can win face-offs - like he did in the first period Wednesday against Team USA in a 5-on-3 situation. He can score goals

They were talking about the WJC when it was in Boston and apparently Jack Parker told one of the XM boys that the Boston area got more fired up for the Bean Pot then the WJC. They went on to say that it was one of the worst attended junior events in tourney history. I am beginning to think the WJC tourney is an after thought.

Yea, when you consistently get your ass kicked in International competition, it quickly becomes an afterthought. However, for the rest of the world, the WJC is becoming bigger and more popular every year.

Well, I didn't get to see or listen to the game today, as Alabama has no idea what hockey is. Doesn't look like I missed too much, other than a couple of nice goals by Toews. I put it on DVR so I'll be able to see those when I return home. This tournament is huge for Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the majority of European countries. The Team USA staff have no idea how to put together a team. They showed that in the Olympics last year. I wrote them an e-mail expressing my displeasure. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response back. :huh: I agree with previous posts that we do need to go to a different selection process. The boys should spend a week practicing to earn a spot on the team; then the team should be sent over to stand alongside our troops stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan, so they can see how good they have it, and learn a little something called patriotism, and what it means to represent your country. Then they can go and win this tournament, or at least play with the heart that is necessary to win it. If Germany gets one more win, they should knock us out of any type of contention...oh wait, we'll do that to ourselves in our next game. So, as with last year, "Go Canada!!!" ???

I feel better now. Just e-mailed Team USA front office again. This time I volunteered my services to sit on a selection committee to select a team that can actually compete with the other international teams. ??? I'm sure I'll get the call tomorrow! :huh: I'm simply a disgruntled veteran tonight.

Canada is not more skilled than the US, but they play with more heart :huh:

Canada is more skilled than the US in several aspects of the game.

1. Better goaltenders

2. Know how to protect the puck and not expose it. Canadians can dangle with anybody but they won't do it unless they are well ahead. Gagner showed that at the end of the Sweden game.

3. They can snipe better than any other nation. World Class athletes don't need a lot of chances to score. They score when the opportunity presents itself.

The second skill can be taught to the US kids. The first and third skills are much harder.

Well, I didn't get to see or listen to the game today, as Alabama has no idea what hockey is. Doesn't look like I missed too much, other than a couple of nice goals by Toews. I put it on DVR so I'll be able to see those when I return home. This tournament is huge for Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the majority of European countries. The Team USA staff have no idea how to put together a team. They showed that in the Olympics last year. I wrote them an e-mail expressing my displeasure. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response back. :huh: I agree with previous posts that we do need to go to a different selection process. The boys should spend a week practicing to earn a spot on the team; then the team should be sent over to stand alongside our troops stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan, so they can see how good they have it, and learn a little something called patriotism, and what it means to represent your country. Then they can go and win this tournament, or at least play with the heart that is necessary to win it. If Germany gets one more win, they should knock us out of any type of contention...oh wait, we'll do that to ourselves in our next game. So, as with last year, "Go Canada!!!" ???

Yeah, the system needs to change, and, as was stated earlier, it probably won't be.

Here's something interesting: In the U18 and U17 Tourneys Team USA may not win Gold all the time, but at least they are consistent medal round competitors. Now, what the hell happened to make the U20 team so weak? How can one arm of USA Hockey not know what the other arm is doing?

HOckey is big time in many places around the world (Canada, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, Latvia, other former Russian States, and to a certain extent Germany) but it isn't all that big in the US. Now, I think the US is heading in the right direction long term: towards the bottom.

I really think the US needs to barely make the tourney, or maybe not qualify altogether for the organization to make a turnaround. Relegation next year MIGHT wake the organization up. It might not. WHo knows?

Is it possible to import a Canadian coaching staff for Team USA next year? Maybe have Lou Lamorello do the selecting? I dunno. It's disheartening to see Team USA be awful for 4.5 of the 7 periods of hockey they've played thus far.

Here's something interesting: In the U18 and U17 Tourneys Team USA may not win Gold all the time, but at least they are consistent medal round competitors. Now, what the hell happened to make the U20 team so weak? How can one arm of USA Hockey not know what the other arm is doing?

Aren't those teams usually facing Canada's "B" squads due to their best players being in the Major Juniors playoffs?

I am no NTDP fan but who got left home that would have made a difference?

Talk to any hockey fan in Canada, Goon. Winning the WJC ranks a close second to winning the Olympics in the eyes of Team Canada. For the last WJC in Grand Forks, I remember reading somewhere that any time the Canadian team was on TV, somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of the TVs turned on in Canada were tuned into that game. I challenge you to find 80 TV's TOTAL in America outside of Grand Forks that were watching the same thing.

Same thing for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey...the rest of the world rallies around their countries and as I walk to the Excel Energy Center for the big semi-final game between USA and Finland, several people on the street commented about how they didn't know the Wild had started already!

Apparently hockey is, was, and always will be a niche sport in the United States. Sad, but true.

I am no NTDP fan but who got left home that would have made a difference?

Don't know names. But a tryout with scrimmages in December would have to have yielded some "grinders" instead of summer camp all-stars. Maybe even a goalie with some grit who can eliminate most rebound opportunities.

I do remember two years ago they left off an OHL goalie (name escapes me) who was like 14-1 in Nov/Dec with several shutouts. We took Montoya and Schnieder. Montoya (who, to his credit, had won gold the previous year) was awful, and had been for Michigan leading up to the Tourney. So, we left the "hot" goalie off the roster that year, and it certainly cost us.

Aren't those teams usually facing Canada's "B" squads due to their best players being in the Major Juniors playoffs?

Hmmm... Perhaps, but even so, why would Hockey Canada not try to put a winning team on the ice for international competition? The Olympics, World Juniors, World Championships, Spencer Cup, U18, U17, and so on tourneys are big deals (relatively speaking) to the Canadians in terms of hockey accolades. SUre, the first three are more important than the others, but still, a Gold in hockey in international competition is important to Hockey Canada, I'd think.

Hmmm... Perhaps, but even so, why would Hockey Canada not try to put a winning team on the ice for international competition? The Olympics, World Juniors, World Championships, Spencer Cup, U18, U17, and so on tourneys are big deals (relatively speaking) to the Canadians in terms of hockey accolades. SUre, the first three are more important than the others, but still, a Gold in hockey in international competition is important to Hockey Canada, I'd think.

The World Jr tournament is second ONLY to the Olympics in Canada's eyes.

The Canadians send their "A" team to the summer tournament when everyone is available, the one the US does not attend. You should ask USA Hockey why they don't go to that tournament. Are they afraid of something? Most if not all of their players should be available.

The spring tournament is right in the middle of junior playoffs in Canada. The only players available are the guys who played on teams that didn't make the playoffs.

The Canadians send their "A" team to the summer tournament when everyone is available, the one the US does not attend. You should ask USA Hockey why they don't go to that tournament. Are they afraid of something? Most if not all of their players should be available.

Didn't Troy Jutting and a bunch of USHL kids win the summer U-18 tourney back in '03?