SiouxSports.com Forum

USA/Canada World Jr. Game

southpaw

Didn't Troy Jutting and a bunch of USHL kids win the summer tourney back in '03?

It not about team USA not having talent, we have too many stars, USA needs role players. It sounds like Team USA has locker room issues. When you have players failing to put egos aside for the betterment of the whole team. For example asking players to play a checking roll when they are used to scoring and that player grumbling about that role (ala last years team per the media) your going to have issues with winning. Last year team USA had problems winning because of egos.

Frankly, Its about the WJC being an after thought. Personally, I am not convinced these are the best players USA hockey has, I like a beauty contest, these are the best of the Privledged kids in USA hockey. Until USA starts taking this seriously nothing is going to happen positive for our country.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from a 48 hour marathon of hockey in high definition on my brother's new TV, three World Junior games, two from the Spengler Cup and two NHL games. Most of what I have read within this thread looks like a fairly reasonable assessment.

IMO, Sweatt should have been the US player of the game vs Skille because he was the only forward who seemed to be willing to constantly pay the price to create the US scoring chances. In fact I thought he played just as well as Toews. If the Toews thread doesn't get the Skippies spinnning let me light the fuse. EJ is an impressive specimen of a lad but he is dumber than $&*@ which doesn't preclude you from attending UMTC. His two boneheaded mistakes (especially the stick toss :huh: ) snuffed out what could have been a US rally and handed the game right back to Canada. Other than his OT blunder against Germany, my family members agree that Chorney has been the best US D-man. Furthermore, Ogopogo may be chewing up the current crop of WCHA D-men but the second coming of Vanek he is not. Toews, said it best in his TSN interview, that how you think on the ice is just as important as your physical abilities and some gifted athletes lack the required vision. More Sweatt, and USA would be the team to beat.

I just got back from a 48 hour marathon of hockey in high definition on my brother's new TV, three World Junior games, two from the Spengler Cup and two NHL games. Most of what I have read within this thread looks like a fairly reasonable assessment.

IMO, Sweatt should have been the US player of the game vs Skille because he was the only forward who seemed to be willing to constantly pay the price to create the US scoring chances. In fact I thought he played just as well as Toews. If the Toews thread doesn't get the Skippies spinnning let me light the fuse. EJ is an impressive specimen of a lad but he is dumber than $&*@ which doesn't preclude you from attending UMTC. His two boneheaded mistakes (especially the stick toss :huh: ) snuffed out what could have been a US rally and handed the game right back to Canada. Other than his OT blunder against Germany, my family members agree that Chorney has been the best US D-man. Furthermore, Ogopogo may be chewing up the current crop of WCHA D-men but the second coming of Vanek he is not. Toews, said it best in his TSN interview, that how you think on the ice is just as important as your physical abilities and some gifted athletes lack the required vision. More Sweatt, and USA would be the team to beat.

Sweatt did look amazingly good, but I don't think Okposo looked poor either. I don't know offhand the lines for Team USA, but if they aren't already, Sweatt and Okposo should be on the same line. IMO they really were the heart and soul behind the offensive effort even if they weren't exactly point getters.

I don't know what to take about Skille. He clutches and grabs a lot, but on the other hand, he does manage to escape getting called for it. He definitely does have talent but who really knows in this setup?

Goon is right. Not enough role players, for sure, but even so, cohesiveness as a team and knowing one's role on it are Team Canada's bread and butter. Canada isn't unbeatable, but the weaknesses they do have are much harder to expose because of how well they play as a team.

Truthfully, I think the US could be a force to be reckoned with. However, there's a lot that needs to change for that to happen.

Amen brother! Didn't seem him in the Canada game, but saw him play a very selfish role in the Germany game, taking away opportunities for the U.S.

That line was buried in the middle of Sioux Hab-it's paragraph and I wondered how many people saw it. Cracked me up!

That line was buried in the middle of Sioux Hab-it's paragraph and I wondered how many people saw it. Cracked me up!

That's what I was referring to in the Jonathan Toews thread. If you look at the high draft choices over the last few years, you have three guys who were very high 1st rounders at UMTC but you wonder how they gained admission. The standards must not be very high.

Then you have guys like Zach Parise and Jonathan Toews who were also 1st rounders and these guys are very articulate and extremely smart. Both programs are extremely successful with high-end talent, but UND is getting the cream of the crop on the ice, off the ice and in school.

That's what I was referring to in the Jonathan Toews thread. If you look at the high draft choices over the last few years, you have three guys who were very high 1st rounders at UMTC but you wonder how they gained admission. The standards must not be very high.

To even imply that Kessel, Wheeler, Fischer, Okposo, EJ, or even Vanek wouldn't have been welcomed with open arms by UND admissions is comical. :ohmy:

Agree 100%. That said EJ has not looked good in this WJT.

He has had some trouble in NCAA play with decision making as well, but so far he has usually had the make up speed to have it not show up on the scoreboard. He has shown a tendency with the Gophers to try to do too much vs. just being a rock solid blue liner defensively.

It is very disappointing so far, but with Canada taking care of Germany and Sweden the US will make the medal round if they somehow manage to win out.

Pierre Maguire, has been commenting on various players in the game and their Pro potential His comment on Brian Lee is that Ottawa drafted him too high. Hard to disagree right now when you look at some of the players who were picked afterwards, like Luc Bourdon. The only good news is that Lee should be a four year player and hopefully he can still elevate his play for the Sioux. The bad news, he believes Chorney could be in Edmonton next season.

So where was this team against Canada and Germany? 6-1 USA now.

Sweden beat Germany. So the US needs to beat Sweden to make the medal round. Otherwise Germany does.

so does that mean just a regulation win diggler vs sweden gets the USA into the medal round or a ot win as well? i think its 2 points for a ot win and 3 points for a regulation win.... gracias mi amigo!

Canada is up 3-0 on Slovakia and Toews has been hurt again from a hard crash into the boards. He is still on the bench, but I am not sure if he will play the remainder of the third. The Ref for this game has been the most pathetic yet and I hope that team USA gets a better Ref for their game. Just like the WCHA, the level of play at the WJHC just keeps getting better but unfortunately the officiating does not.

Canada is up 3-0 on Slovakia and Toews has been hurt again from a hard crash into the boards. He is still on the bench, but I am not sure if he will play the remainder of the third. The Ref for this game has been the most pathetic yet and I hope that team USA gets a better Ref for their game. Just like the WCHA, the level of play at the WJHC just keeps getting better but unfortunately the officiating does not.

Brutal job by the ref. Toews went face first into the boards (not a cheap shot, caught his skate on a Slovak dman) and didn't play in the last half of the third. Canada wins 3-0 in an almost empty arena, except for the Canadian fans that are over there (who still make plenty of noise).

Russia wins and finishes undefeated in pool B, as does Canada in pool A. Pool B crossover teams are Finland and Czech Republic (if they beat the Swiss). Sweden is a crossover team from pool A, but the US/Sweden game coming up will determine whether the US or Germany are the other team, as well as the the seeding for pool A.