SiouxSports.com Forum

minnesota

Fetch

MN Committee Makes No Decision On Nickname Issue

Still no word on whether the University of Minnesota will change its policy against playing schools with American Indian nicknames or mascots.

The university's Advisory Committee on Athletics met Thursday but did not talk about the issue.

Here is non-news article. Makes you wonder what the advisory committee did talk about.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Policy stands

A University of Minnesota policy discouraging the school's athletic teams from competing against UND in any sport except hockey will stand, despite statements from the school's Advisory Committee on Athletics that it might reconsider the policy, the committee's chairman said Tuesday.

That decision could hurt UND during the five-year transition to NCAA Division I athletics it embarked on last year.

Betty Ralston, UND associate athletic director, called the Minnesota committee's decision unfortunate but said she was not surprised.

"It's unfortunate that a (NCAA Division I) school that's so close to us geographically is not going to become a rival other than in hockey," Ralston said. "It's their institution's decision, and just like we don't want people to come here and tell us what to do, we can't impose things on those other institutions."

That sucks. I kow how bad it would be to have another team that will actually fill the seats at that new football stadium of theirs. There football team sucks and they need regional rivals to fill those seats. It is just money out of their pockets.

The nickname is costing the institution money in both the lawsuit (donated money that may have been donated elsewhere w/o the lawsuit) and potential revenue in game guarantees.

The nickname debate will never go away. The problems associated with it will keep growing.

As much as I would like to remain the Fighting Sioux, it may be time to look at a change.

The nickname is costing the institution money in both the lawsuit (donated money that may have been donated elsewhere w/o the lawsuit) and potential revenue in game guarantees.

The nickname debate will never go away. The problems associated with it will keep growing.

As much as I would like to remain the Fighting Sioux, it may be time to look at a change.

NO. It is not time to look for a new one. You don't give up the fight just because it is hard. Fighting Sioux!

I've been saying the same thing for months. Change it and move on. How much more obvious does it have to get? No one will play us, the lawsuit is costing us a fortune, and no, I still won't donate as long as the name remains.

I've been saying the same thing for months. Change it and move on. How much more obvious does it have to get? No one will play us, the lawsuit is costing us a fortune, and no, I still won't donate as long as the name remains.

I think there are a lot more people on the other side of the issue, they won't donate if we don't put up a fight against the PCers.

Folks, first things first.

The contract law matter (Executive Committee overstepping) has to be put to bed. If not, the Executive Committee will keep going as if it's some sort of monarchy. Things like this would be next.

After that UND (OK, the ND SBoHE) is in the position of power and gets to institute policy of its own volition: Choice of action, not path of reaction.

As I've said for quite a while:

We'll know the exact instant the "Fighting Sioux" moniker is a net negative. That's the instant it'll change. Not before.

Are you delusional? I submit UND would suffer more with regard to alumni contributions if it caved into the NC$$ like others did. Moreover, as has been noted ad nauseum not one dime of the money spent on the litigation is coming out of school's pocket, and it's myopic to presume that those who have donated to the litigation fund have somehow reduced their other giving or have diverted funds. Many of the bigger donors have "money to burn".

As far as the game guarantees, f*&$ Minnesota and Wisconsin. You can probably find a dozen universities in the SEC and Big 12 who would love to beat up on the Sioux for six figures. Think Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ol' Miss, etc.

I suspect that the only thing PCers "donate" to UND is a lot of hot air on this issue. We all knew that this was coming. It's a finanacial loss for MN because so many UNDers live in MN. MN sucks anyway at football and UND would enhance its competitiveness more by playing Southern Florida or the like. I suspect once the UMN alumni respond the committee, so-called, will have a "change of policy." Once the PCers are faced with strong and steadfast opposition, they reveal themselves as the cowards that they are. The various liberal administrative star chambers such as the one at UMN must be opposed at every turn.

Yes, its axiomatic that each and every dollar that is now being donated to the lawsuit would automatically and undeniably go ONLY to the University if the lawsuit was dropped. Not a penny would go to the American Cancer Society.

Or the Red Cross.

Or local children's hospitals.

(this is where you need that Rolleyes emoticon.)

Plus, dropping the name that is favored by an overwhelming majority of alums would undoubtly engender good feelings going forward, leading to even MORE donations in the future.

(again, you need the Rolleyes emoticon-I'd use it twice here.)

I think there are a lot more people on the other side of the issue, they won't donate if we don't put up a fight against the PCers.

I think people who can only see one side to this issue can only see one side to the idea that the donations (increased or decreased) are tied to the nickname.

As far as the issue with Minnesota, all you can do is continue to play them in hockey, etc. and hopefully beat them every single time. The more that happens the more they will look like they're ducking you in football. Will it cost you some cash? IMHO, yes. They're a close (in terms of distance) rival and I'm thinking that you'll spend more in travel (and recieve less in recruiting benefits) by being forced to go elsewhere. But IMHO, that's a small price to pay. The ultimate decision is up to your AD and BOT. One thing to consider is that the # of times you'd actually play the Gophers is probably limited. You'd be offered a contract that would mean two games at their home with one at your place, and the game at your stadium would probably be bought out before it could be played. And then you'd be looking at 3-4 years before they'd look to schedule you again. So I think you're looking at replacing 2 guaranteed games and a buyout fee. That's just a guess.

It certainly is a puzzling policy from my perspective, at least in the manner in which they apply it.

From the article:

The 2003 policy discourages Minnesota's school's athletics department from competing against all teams with American Indian mascots and nicknames.

Very interesting considering they have the Central Michigan "Chippewas" and the Florida State "Seminoles" on their men's basketball schedule this season.

Just sent this to the U of M athletic department.

So who is the lucky person who gets to tell Tubby that you are forfeiting 2 games to the Central Michigan CHIPPEWAS and the Florida State SEMINOLES? I mean you are of course forfeiting those game to maintain your integrity, correct? Are you also going to be selling University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX merchandise at Mariucci arena again this year? Joel, go to the advisory committee, ask them for your "stones" and make the right decision.

Anyone think that they are a little nervous about recruiting? Think about it. Their football team barely beat NDSU(a team UND beat up for the last 13 years like it was their job), their mens BB team has been pathetic for a few years, and their women's BB team is defintely on the downslide. Playing and losing to NDSU and UND cannot help recruiting efforts.

That is NOT what their policy says.

The 2003 policy discourages Minnesota'sschool's athletics department from competing against all teams with American Indian mascots and nicknames. But the policy wasn't strictly enforced until last year, when Minnesota Athletic Director Joel Maturi asked the committee for more guidance and was advised to follow the policy more closely.

They can play FSU and CMU because they are off the NCAA's naughty list. At least that is the reasoning they'll use. It will be interesting to see what happens if UND gets off the naughty list too.

If that is the case then why will the outcome of the lawsuit have no effect on their enforcement of the policy, as stated in the article?

Because Minnesota changes the rules to fit the situation. They'll keep doing things like this and make up excuses to why it's ok. Who cares. If Minnesota wants to be a bunch of hypocrites they can go right ahead. I'm done worrying about what other schools do with regards to these situations. UND doesn't need Minnesota, screw them.