SiouxSports.com Forum

Swept again!

OETKB

Kellen Briggs, Sr 9 7 0 2 19 550 2.07 1 212 .918

Briggs's numbers are very similar to Brian Elliott's, so are you saying Briggs is as good a goaltender as Elliott? Elliott is an all-American goaltender and has some pretty nice numbers despite his teams overall record. In his case, his numbers tell us how good of a goaltender he is. Now look at Briggs, as well as his team's record. I'm guessing the reason his numbers are so good is because of the supporting cast he has in front of him. I'm not saying that Lammy is better than Briggs, but I'm not going to go ahead and say that Briggs is better than Lammy either. Neither of them compare at all against Elliott.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ye of little faith.....

There is no way that players like Toews and Oshie will stay as quiet as they have been so far this season for the entire year.

I'm tired of people whining and moaning about the team not being hot out of the gate. Just be patient people. There's no need to toss a noose over the rafters just yet.

Real fans stick with their team, no matter how the team is doing. Fair weather fans aren't real fans.

Don't get me wrong, I hate sitting at games like this weekend being frustrated when I leave, it's not a time to start bashing players and bitching and moaning and calling for Hakstol's job.

There is no way that players like Toews and Oshie will stay as quiet as they have been so far this season for the entire year.

I'm tired of people whining and moaning about the team not being hot out of the gate. Just be patient people. There's no need to toss a noose over the rafters just yet.

Real fans stick with their team, no matter how the team is doing. Fair weather fans aren't real fans.

Don't get me wrong, I hate sitting at games like this weekend being frustrated when I leave, it's not a time to start bashing players and bitching and moaning and calling for Hakstol's job.

Well put - we would be like Minny fans and who wants to be like that.

Here is why. He is from Grand Forks, ND so that makes him untochable in some eyes, some how they have this notion he is the next KG. Obviously he is not. I am ready to take out lumps with Grieco and see what we can get in the offseason recruiting. If Brandt has to sit on the bench his senior years with better numbers than Phil so be it. I would take Jake back at this point.

Like I said earlier, we should have goalies lined up that want to play here (good ones), UND should be like players wanting to play football at FSU, Miami or Florida. If Wisconsin has a shut down goalie why can't UND?

It doesn't make any sense to me. I want to see a talented big goalie from B.C. or Alberta say about 6'3" 190+ that covers the net pees ice water and has a GAA of about 1.96 and a Save percentage of .940

We our taking it out on Grieco that has only played 6 six games in the year and has come out with 7 of the 12 points possible points and was rookie of the week on this second weekend of play, I guess that is what you consider lumps? I know this is a team sport and we keep focusing on the goalies and not on the team as a whole.

my thoughts on the weekend...1. don't have giveaways at the games that are throwable. 2. we need less pinching by the defensemen, and more backchecking. 3. Phil gives us the best chance to win out of any of our goalies. 4. Finley plays better than most seem to care to notice. 5. Elliot is slightly overrated and owes a ton of his success to the defense keeping his fat rebounds from being put in. 6. The student section has become more pathetic as the season has progressed (hard to admit, since i'm in it) 7. Maybe they should try keeping Toews with Oshie and maybe Genoway on a line, and put Duncan on the second line...worth a shot at least.

I was hoping to get to ten, but i'm lazy...sue me.

I have to disagree with 3 and 4. Everyone knows how to score on Lammy, he would have unbelievable numbers if he was playing with 4 year olds that couldn't lift the puck. Finley sucks period.

Right on Hockey Mom. This time of year always seems to bring out the ledge jumpers and the experts who know what's wrong, how to fix it, who to bench, who sucks, who should be fired, and on and on and on. . .

All you naysayers, go pour yourself a cup of eggnog, up your medication, and come back in March to watch the boys in green go for number 8.

1)I just cannot believe the number of people that so strongly support Lammy. I certainly do not believe he is even the biggest portion of our current problems but I don't see why so many people think he is a big time goalie. You can blame it on a newbie but I have been a Sioux fan my whole life. My parents have owned season tickets since the old Ralph opened, my grandpa well into the The Barn. Lammy is as good as anyone at making the first save (most of the time) but the majority of the time he is so far out of position that rebounds can be tapped in. I have never seen a goalie lay forward on their stomach so often- that covers 1/10th of the net. If you are going to flop around on the ice, at least lay on your side and stack the pads. He has been given the chance to have the starting spot time and time again, and has lost it time and time again. We will take our lumps with Greico but I can live with that in a 17 year old freshman. Not all teams have goaltenders that can steal a game, we just need to have one that won't lose it.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have read a number of posts, and want to offer my two cents. I agree with HockeyMom that it is ridiculous to call for Hakstol's job and that we should support our team. However, I am concerned about this team this year for the following reasons:

1. The goaltending has been atrocious. The 2nd goal on Friday night would have been a weak goal in a Squirt or PeeWee game. It was also a back breaker. The 3rd goal was not all his fault because Genoway got caught up ice, it was a poor line change, and it was a 3 on 1. However, if Lamoureux stays on his feet, that goal cannot go in from that angle. More disturbing is that our goalies seldom make a huge save. Even when they stop most or all of the ones that they should stop, they seldom make a very difficult save. I did see Lamoureux make one save like that in the 3rd, but they are too few and far between. Brian Elliot made at least 3 in the first period and many throughout the weekend. The goaltenders really need to step up or this will be a very long season.

2. The defense has not been much better. Finley made a critical mistake at a critical point of the game last night. Taylor Chorney (who is the best and most reliable defenseman) made a critical mistake on the 3rd goal. Lee made a number of bad plays throughout the weekend, the worst of which was when he skated by the crease on the 4th goal on Friday. Genoway similarly did not tie up his man on that goal. Jones got walked all weekend, resulting in penalties. Even worse, the defense has troubling getting the puck out of the zone, meaning that the forwards have to come back and help. That means no transition game, and it means the forwards are worn out.

3. The Sioux have not been scoring goals, but they scored plenty this weekend to sweep against a top end goaltender. They also generated many chances (at least the top 2 lines). The forwards also have to spend too much time in their own defensive zone helping out the defense, and Toews, Oshie and Duncan are getting worn out from killing penalties. The top 2 lines are playing well, but the the 3rd and 4th line are not contributing much. Fabian, Kaip and Kozek need to start contributing. The freshmen class has not had much of an impact as of yet.

4. Worst of all, I really do not want to travel from Fargo anymore to go to these games because of the frustration, primarily with the goaltending. I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 years, and a Sioux fan all of my life. I have gone to games over the years no matter how the team was doing. During Gino's last years, there were very few fans in the seats and you could throw a grenade into the stands and probably not risk hurting anyone. We always made the trip regardless. This year is different. The frustration level with this year's team is so high because (1) expectations were high with Toews, Oshie and all but one defenseman returning and (2) times have changed. With the new arena, it is expected that the Sioux will at least be a contender, not ever get swept by AAU anywhere, and not get swept at home. I am concerned about the fact that there is no sense of urgency with many of the players (obviously Toews, Oshie, Duncan, Watkins and Porter are excluded), there is no atmosphere in the REA for most of the game, and the goaltending is simply the worst I have seen since Andy Kohler. If they don't turn this around soon, the Sioux are going to be playing in front of some much smaller than expected crowds. I for one am getting tired of this year's product. The ONLY reason that I go anymore is to see Toews, Oshie and Duncan.

(1) expectations were high with Toews, Oshie and all but one defenseman returning and

Those are nice points, again, after watching Toews and Oshie play this year how is it possible either is on the ice with an NHL franchise next season? Not saying their bad players, but given the play of them this year I don't see either cracking the line up in either city. If Bochenski takes scoring 11+ goals and getting name AHL player of the week in Norfolk to get called up how is Toews going to be anywhere but Norfolk? And as bad as St. Louis is, I don't TJ Oshie replacing anyone in the St. Louis Line up.

Those are nice points, again, after watching Toews and Oshie play this year how is it possible either is on the ice with an NHL franchise next season? Not saying their bad players, but given the play of them this year I don't see either cracking the line up in either city. If Bochenski takes scoring 11+ goals and getting name AHL player of the week in Norfolk to get called up how is Toews going to be anywhere but Norfolk? And as bad as St. Louis is, I don't TJ Oshie replacing anyone in the St. Louis Line up.

I agree with you about Oshie, but in fairness, he's been playing with a hand injury all year. Toews has also been banged up but, in my opinion, has been great all year. Zajac unfairly took criticism last year for not scoring. Stats are only part of the equation. One of my pet peeves is people who get hung up on stats. Look at all the little things that Toews does--he's great defensively, great in the corners and makes everyone around him better. Unfortunately, he's been keyed on all year, and deserves many more assists. He has set up so many opportunities that did not find the back of the net that it's almost unfair. If I have one criticism of Toews, it is that he does not shoot enough. He's a great player. There is not a better forward in the WCHA. Much like Zach Parise, enjoy him while you can because he is most likely gone after this year.

In the second period of Fridays game Lee & a wisco player were racing to a puck that got knocked out of the wisco zone - Lee appeared to be giving it his all, but got beat badly to the puck - I turned to my wife & said he can't skate either :blush:

Let me vent and share my frustration also. it is obvious that this team has trouble in all areas - timely scoring, defense, goaltending, will to win, intensity, mental mistakes. My feeling is that the ultimate responsibility is with the coaches. When Blais was here, players knew that if they came to UND with talent they would leave as players in the NHL sense of the word. Thjat's not happening now. Does anyone think that Finley, Lee, Lameraux, Toews, Oshie, etc are playing better this year. Almost no one is developing. We are playing much worse as a team than in the past. In addition, we were out-recruited this year. I agree with other posters that it is a mystery as to why we can't get a stud goalie in here. It is painful to watch us get out-hit in our own arena. Hakstol was basically anointed as coach - It's time for him to show us what he's got. I will not be happy until we are competing with the Gophers. Blais would never allow this type of play without kicking some but. We need a wake-up call soon.

You have to remember that there is no clutching, grabbing or one-handed stick work allowed in the NHL anymore. Players like Oshie and Toews thrive in the NHL because they are allowed to PLAY without being held or obstructed. For proof, look at Jason Blake or Zach Parise. In the old NHL, Blake was barely a factor (relative to his impact today) and Parise would have been mauled all the time. That is the current problem with college hockey - it allows teams with less talent to obstruct play and slow the game down to their pace. Of course, I'm not saying that is what happened this weekend (very poor goaltending and the inability to score are the Sioux's main problems). My comment is speaking only to the general atmosphere in the NHL and whether the Oshie's of the world could play today. Oshie is a playmaker with a ton of grit and heart and will be on the ice next year in St. Louis...

Goon, you crack me up.

You have to remember that there is no clutching, grabbing or one-handed stick work allowed in the NHL anymore. Players like Oshie and Toews thrive in the NHL because they are allowed to PLAY without being held or obstructed. For proof, look at Jason Blake or Zach Parise.

Parise put up 61 and 55 points in each respective year in college hockey with the clutching and grabbing. Where it may come into play somewhat, great players find a way to fight through it. I think Oshie resembles Parise a lot in his work ethic, but has to find a way to finish.

You have to remember that there is no clutching, grabbing or one-handed stick work allowed in the NHL anymore. Players like Oshie and Toews thrive in the NHL because they are allowed to PLAY without being held or obstructed. For proof, look at Jason Blake or Zach Parise. In the old NHL, Blake was barely a factor (relative to his impact today) and Parise would have been mauled all the time. That is the current problem with college hockey - it allows teams with less talent to obstruct play and slow the game down to their pace. Of course, I'm not saying that is what happened this weekend (very poor goaltending and the inability to score are the Sioux's main problems). My comment is speaking only to the general atmosphere in the NHL and whether the Oshie's of the world could play today. Oshie is a playmaker with a ton of grit and heart and will be on the ice next year in St. Louis...

Not exactly true.

Blakes numbers pre-new rules.

2003-2004 Islanders 75 22 25 47 pts

2002-2003 Islanders 81 25 30 55 pts

Not so sure I would call scoring 22 and 25 goals in a season uneffetive.

Some things are going to drastically change for either of our young sophs to be playing in the NHL next season. Remember Toews said last summer he doesn't want to play in AHL.

Some things are going to drastically change for either of our young sophs to be playing in the NHL next season. Remember Toews said last summer he doesn't want to play in AHL.

No one on this years team is ready to step directly into the NHL. The NHL is all about consistency at a much faster tempo, so if any one of these kids thinks he is already NHL material he is a big time dreamer.

I agree with you about Oshie, but in fairness, he's been playing with a hand injury all year. Toews has also been banged up but, in my opinion, has been great all year. Zajac unfairly took criticism last year for not scoring. Stats are only part of the equation. One of my pet peeves is people who get hung up on stats. Look at all the little things that Toews does--he's great defensively, great in the corners and makes everyone around him better. Unfortunately, he's been keyed on all year, and deserves many more assists. He has set up so many opportunities that did not find the back of the net that it's almost unfair. If I have one criticism of Toews, it is that he does not shoot enough. He's a great player. There is not a better forward in the WCHA. Much like Zach Parise, enjoy him while you can because he is most likely gone after this year.

Exactly you dont have to score to be a force on the ice...look at this way Oshie finishes his checks and for the whole weekend wisco had two guys on him this weekend...no only if the defense would stop standing around

HockeyMom,

I appreciate your positive outlook on most everything, but I have to disagree with you on this topic. You can be a real fan and still point out obvious problems with your team. This team has numerous problems right now and I don't blame people for being upset. I could go into greater detail, but after this weekend's games I am not in the mood. I will say this: Our standards for success are different than Michigan Tech or Alaska-Fairbanks or any number of nickle and dime programs in D-I hockey. Being decent and competitive are not good enough here. People have seen greatness over the years and know the difference between that and the kind of crap we are seeing right now. I will continue to support this program (and all of our other programs), but the facts are that this team is really bad right now and I don't think I should have to apologize for saying it.

WHOA! Let's take a time out here for a second. Fans, even die-hard ones, have different styles. Just because a guy says Finley sucks doesn't mean he is a fair-weathered fan. It means he thinks Finley sucks.

I am a HUGE supporter of my sports teams, including Sioux hockey. That doens't mean I will blindly support players and make excuses for poor play though. On the flip side, just because somebody defends Finley to the death doesn't make them a better fan. It's just differing points of view.

Fans handle adversity in different ways. Some of you guys always try to find the bright spot in any dismal situation. Some of the others blast everybody from the players, to the staff to the janitor who cleans the lockerroom toilets.

Personally, I love Sioux hockey to death and will support the team whether they go undefeated or lose every single game. I'm also a passionate fan who will do some hardcore venting now and again when I get frustrated. It's just how I am... Fair weather, for me, couldn't be further from the truth.

WHOA! Let's take a time out here for a second. Fans, even die-hard ones, have different styles. Just because a guy says Finley sucks doesn't mean he is a fair-weathered fan. It means he thinks Finley sucks.

I am a HUGE supporter of my sports teams, including Sioux hockey. That doens't mean I will blindly support players and make excuses for poor play though. On the flip side, just because somebody defends Finley to the death doesn't make them a better fan. It's just differing points of view.

Fans handle adversity in different ways. Some of you guys always try to find the bright spot in any dismal situation. Some of the others blast everybody from the players, to the staff to the janitor who cleans the lockerroom toilets.

Personally, I love Sioux hockey to death and will support the team whether they go undefeated or lose every single game. I'm also a passionate fan who will do some hardcore venting now and again when I get frustrated. It's just how I am... Fair weather, for me, couldn't be further from the truth.

Some good points. Robbie Bina's Goal was Awesome. Great pass from Toews.

I will say this: Our standards for success are different than Michigan Tech or Alaska-Fairbanks or any number of nickle and dime programs in D-I hockey.

I will say this: I don't think thats a fair statement to either Michigan or UAA. They have programs in D-1, and I'd say they are worthwhile. Think back about 3 weekends ago. ;)

P.S. It's 'nickel' :blush:

I will say this: I don't think thats a fair statement to either Michigan or UAA. They have programs in D-1, and I'd say they are worthwhile. Think back about 3 weekends ago. ;)

P.S. It's 'nickel' :blush:

I said Alaska-Fairbanks of the Crappy Collegiate Hockey Association, not the surprise team in the WCHA this season (UAA). Fairbanks (or just plain old "Alaska", as they are calling themselves now) has always been a nickel (thanks for the spelling reminder! :( ) and dime program. Anchorage looks to be building a winner after years of mediocre teams. Michigan Tech is improved, but I'm not totally convinced yet. They've had other seasons that looked promising but didn't pan out. They still have to fight off 30+ years of losing.

My point is that North Dakota's program sets a higher standard of excellence, a standard not shared by all schools who happen to have Division I Hockey. And we are not living up to that standard right now. And that is why people are ticked off.