SiouxSports.com Forum

TV for Grand Valley?

bincitysioux

That is so pathetic!!!

So once again I will not be able to see the Sioux football game. They need to either put the games on WDAZ or else make FSSN available to people with DirecTV and Dish Network. More and more people are choosing satellite service over cable these days. Keeping the Sioux on cable only does nothing but limit their exposure.

The FSSN will not be on Dish or Direct ever. Couple reasons

-Midco is part owner and since they are a cable company :silly:

-It is not a full time sports channel. Dish or Direct will not add a sports channel unless it is 24/7. The one exception they did was Sportstime Ohio, which is home to Cleveland Indians games. They started just as a station for Indians games. Now they are close to full time.

so the only way to see the FSSN is to get cable or get a free to air system. DaveK, why not get a FTA system? They run a couple hundred bucks for a basic system and there are a few people I know who have it just for the FSSN. When the season is done, the box gets unplugged until October. Well worth it in my opinion.

Here is just my thought. Why can't WDAZ put the FSSN on a subchannel of their digital station? That way if you don't have cable but have an antenna and can get the HD/digital signal, then you can see the games. For the uninformed, a digital TV channel can have more than just one channel. As an example here in Minneapolis we have 24/7 weather on the NBC (11-2...11-1 is the main NBC station). The ABC station has 24/7 weather and news on their -2 channel.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me guess... not enough time/ just got notified today/ everyone is too fat to travel from Thanksgiving/ cameras have spiders in the lenses/ gas is too expensive/ NCAA sucks/ Panzer got robbed/ exhibition hockey game has to be on TV or Ralph's cronies will implode the arena? :silly::huh:

PLEASE!! SOMEONE TELL ME WHY!!! :ohmy:

its on the FSSN

That is so pathetic!!!

So once again I will not be able to see the Sioux football game. They need to either put the games on WDAZ or else make FSSN available to people with DirecTV and Dish Network. More and more people are choosing satellite service over cable these days. Keeping the Sioux on cable only does nothing but limit their exposure.

They do that and I can take my Free to Air dish down!

Let me guess... not enough time/ just got notified today/ everyone is too fat to travel from Thanksgiving/ cameras have spiders in the lenses/ gas is too expensive/ NCAA sucks/ Panzer got robbed/ exhibition hockey game has to be on TV or Ralph's cronies will implode the arena? :silly::huh:

PLEASE!! SOMEONE TELL ME WHY!!! :ohmy:

The names have been changed to protect the innocent:

Dear Ms. HockeyMom:

I'm sorry you are unhappy that the UND-Grand Valley game will be on

cable on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network instead of WDAZ.

We are in sort of a no-win situation. Historically, when WDAZ has

pre-empted ABC games for UND games, we still get complaints. Even when

UND plays NDSU. Even when UND has a playoff game. So some people do

care

about the national games.

In an effort to avoid pre-empting network programing, our management

has decided to put the UND games on cable. FSSN actually has a bigger

reach than the WDAZ over-the-air signal. FSSN is seen in North and

South

Dakota and northwest Minnesota, and also on satellite.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope you will be able to find a way

to see the game.

Thank you for your email.

Pat Sweeney

WDAZ Sports Director

Here is just my thought. Why can't WDAZ put the FSSN on a subchannel of their digital station? That way if you don't have cable but have an antenna and can get the HD/digital signal, then you can see the games. For the uninformed, a digital TV channel can have more than just one channel. As an example here in Minneapolis we have 24/7 weather on the NBC (11-2...11-1 is the main NBC station). The ABC station has 24/7 weather and news on their -2 channel.

that is an option. right now wday/wdaz have three channels up for their digital signal. one is their main one, two is the radar with wday radio and three is radar with the national weather service talking in the background. i don't know exactly what it takes to just switch the output to a signal, but i don't think it would be too hard. perhaps just drop the radar on 8-3 and air sioux games. however, even then, only those with hd tvs, or tuners, will be able to get the signal.

Dear Ms. HockeyMom:

care

South

to see the game.

Pat Sweeney

WDAZ Sports Director

it sucks, but it's true. we get a ton of phone calls just when shows are delayed 10 minutes. if something isn't actually on, the flood of calls is nonstop.

it sucks, but it's true. we get a ton of phone calls just when shows are delayed 10 minutes. if something isn't actually on, the flood of calls is nonstop.

People who call and complain because the Sioux are playing on TV suck. Start forwarding their calls to me.

Dear Ms. HockeyMom:

care

South

to see the game.

Pat Sweeney

WDAZ Sports Director

Why is that "some" have more pull than "most"?

NDSU and WDAY don't have any problem putting their games on the network and preempting other college football games. INTERESTING. There must be more to this story. How come two stations on the same network and 75 miles apart have such different philosophies? If WDAY in Fargo who is the parent company to WDAZ seems to think putting the Bison games on the network is smart, how come there philosophy is different with UND. Across the state there certainly just as many Sioux fans as Bison fans. Is it just possible that WDAY is basing their decisions on their prejudices. Just food for thought. The bottom line is we should all be excited that the game is on TV in the tri-state area. Go Sioux.

NDSU and WDAY don't have any problem putting their games on the network and preempting other college football games. INTERESTING. There must be more to this story. How come two stations on the same network and 75 miles apart have such different philosophies? If WDAY in Fargo who is the parent company to WDAZ seems to think putting the Bison games on the network is smart, how come there philosophy is different with UND. Across the state there certainly just as many Sioux fans as Bison fans. Is it just possible that WDAY is basing their decisions on their prejudices. Just food for thought. The bottom line is we should all be excited that the game is on TV in the tri-state area. Go Sioux.

It is probably because WDAY has been sucked in by Craig Bohl's pipe dream that NDSU football will become the #1 sports team in ND. Evidently they have some of the same stuff that Bohl has in his pipe. :silly:

Maybe because NDSU is such a top notch and well established division one program.....just kidding. And to all you SU fans I know you will be watching on saturday because you won't be watching the Bison in the playoffs.

Let's face it. Both schools have nice followings for their men's and women's basketball teams . We both have nice followings for our football teams. With the edge maybe going to NDSU. But when you throw in the large masses of people who are Sioux hockey fans it gives us the edge. There are definitely more Sioux sports fans in the state than NDSU sports fans. To make it clear I'm not necessarily saying just number of football fans. We just simply have more sports fans than they do. Most sports fans regardless of the sport you primarly cheer for will be watching this game. NDSU fans will be glued to the tube on Saturday.

Dear Ms. HockeyMom:

care

South

to see the game.

Pat Sweeney

WDAZ Sports Director

"...and also on satellite."

What kind of satellite?

the ndsu football games that were aired on wday this year were announced well in advance. the decision to air them was made more than one week in advance. there are rules to pre-empting network shows. that's one of the major reasons why sioux hockey is now only on the fssn and not on wdaz. there's not a hate of UND and wdaz by forum comm.

I just find it totally unacceptable that GF announcers are not going to do the game. I don't care what channel it is on, get some local people broadcasting the game. That is the way we have always done it and it should continue that way. We have no problem putting 2 meaningless home basketball games on TV on a Tuesday night but boy if we want to follow our local boys in the NCAA playoffs, we have listen to 2 schmucks from Grand Valley. I find it lazy and sad!!!!!!!!!!!! :silly:

I just find it totally unacceptable that GF announcers are not going to do the game. I don't care what channel it is on, get some local people broadcasting the game. That is the way we have always done it and it should continue that way. We have no problem putting 2 meaningless home basketball games on TV on a Tuesday night but boy if we want to follow our local boys in the NCAA playoffs, we have listen to 2 schmucks from Grand Valley. I find it lazy and sad!!!!!!!!!!!! :silly:

we're getting the game...isnt that good enough?

As noted above the bouncey ball games were at home where eveything is setup. If they sent somebody to Allendale, all it would be is for sideline reporting.

We're getting the feed. If you don't like the announcers, turn on the radio :ohmy:

me...I'm happy the game is on

"...and also on satellite."

What kind of satellite?

free to air satellite. HockeyMom posted the link to the systems. Its for people who cant get the FSSN because they have Dish or SirectV or are ouotside of the cable FSSN area.

we're getting the game...isnt that good enough?

As noted above the bouncey ball games were at home where eveything is setup. If they sent somebody to Allendale, all it would be is for sideline reporting.

We're getting the feed. If you don't like the announcers, turn on the radio :ohmy:

me...I'm happy the game is on

I agree, I intend to watch the game, and I really don't care who is announcing. I'm just thankful it is going to be on. And I love basketball games on TV and think there should be more of them. Anytime any Sioux sport is on TV, it is a good thing.

the ndsu football games that were aired on wday this year were announced well in advance. the decision to air them was made more than one week in advance. there are rules to pre-empting network shows. that's one of the major reasons why sioux hockey is now only on the fssn and not on wdaz. there's not a hate of UND and wdaz by forum comm.

The arguement is WDAZ is not showing this game because some people complain (just like the Sioux name) so they are deciding not to show it and bow down to the minority despite years and years of showing every road playoff game in past history.

How about WDAZ announces "well in advance" that they are going to broadcast all playoff games. Those people will still complain whether they know in advance or not.

If it was the Bison, WDAY would have no doubt aired these road playoff games statewide despite a minority of people complaining and without advanced warning.

I agree, I intend to watch the game, and I really don't care who is announcing. I'm just thankful it is going to be on.

so true

I watched the Sioux/Badger hockey games with thier announcers

I watched the Sioux/Anchorage games with their announcers

I watched the UMD Bulldogs/Badger games with their announcers

This weekend I'll watch UMD and Anchorage with the UAA announcers

as long as the game is on. Thats all that matters. Heck, give me no announcers, just the raw feed with sounds of tghe crowd :silly: