SiouxSports.com Forum

playoff pairings

UND92,96

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had thought that playing a I-AA neither helped nor hurt? I thought it simply wasn't considered for purposes of strength of schedule computations?
Mea culpa, you're right. It doesn't hurt us like it would have 3 years ago, it just doesn't help us like it would've the last couple years. I think the SOS this year is simply like the non-win% part of RPI, that is -- part your opponents' win% and part your opponents' opponents' win%, all D2 only.

THis might qualify as a new thread but consider this:

What if UND officially dropped the Fighting Sioux as a nickname and replaced it with nothing. They could spin it as "Times have changed and we don't feel our University is best represented by any name other than NORTH DAKOTA".

The office team name would be "North Dakota" and we could have a cheer that says "We are North Dakota" - think how that would create a fuss in Bi-Sonville :D

Of course the fans could continue to use Sioux cheers, wear Sioux clothing etc and UND could say "we have no control over what our fans do"

I suppose that wouldn't carry any weight with the Engelstad Estate though and we would probably lose the Ralph and a ton of future money.

Just a thought

I suppose that wouldn't carry any weight with the Engelstad Estate though and we would probably lose the Ralph and a ton of future money.

Just a thought

Yes it is off-topic but PLEASE don't bring up this old red herring again! The Ralph is NOT, repeat NOT going to be imploded if UND changes the nickname - that is absolutely ridiculous. I assume any future money is up to Betty now...

The Herald added this insight:

I still think UND should be ahead of UNO, but I also still don't buy the conspiracy theory. I just think the regional poll people considered UND ahead of Omaha, whereas the national people thought it was close enough that they broke the "tie" with the head-to-head.

Either way, as Dale Lennon said,

The national committee is made up of eight members--two each from each of the four regional "advisory" committees. If we assume for the sake of argument that the northwest committee voted 5-2 to have UND at number 2; and that the national committee voted 8-0 to switch UND and UNO around, it would appear that Kevin Buisman (Mankato a.d.) and Butch Raymond (NSIC commish) have some explaining to do, since they're the two national committee members from the northwest. It seems to me that either they were the two "no" votes from the regional committee and did an "end around" to get their own way, or else they're rather easily influenced.

The national committee is made up of eight members--two each from each of the four regional "advisory" committees. If we assume for the sake of argument that the northwest committee voted 5-2 to have UND at number 2; and that the national committee voted 8-0 to switch UND and UNO around, it would appear that Kevin Buisman (Mankato a.d.) and Butch Raymond (NSIC commish) have some explaining to do, since they're the two national committee members from the northwest. It seems to me that either they were the two "no" votes from the regional committee vote and did an "end around" to get their own way, or else they're rather easily influenced.

very interesting for sure

Did anyone see the playoff bracket? Why is the semifinal game on a Sunday... December 10th? I can only assume that this is a mistake. If that is the case... how do we expect the NCAA to understand the playoff rankings/pairings if they can't even get the bracket dates correct?

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/br...32_dyn/2006/DII

I'm pretty sure that is correct. ESPNU and I think ESPN2 are broadcasting both of the semifinal games this year.

So they are playing both games on Sunday? That makes absolutely no sense.

I was just checking out ESPN's TV schedule for Saturday, and there is the Heisman Trophy presentation on December 9th as well as the Division I Football Championship that day as well. I would assume that those games are the I-AA Semi's on December 9th that ESPN is televising. I'm also assuming since they have the rights to the games, they could push the games back a day to suit their needs the best possible way.

That is messed up. I don't recall that happening before... and I'm pretty sure that ESPN has always had the rights to D1-AA playoffs and the Heisman presentation. That really puts a crunch time between the semifinal game and the championship game. Not to mention the NFL games on Sunday night that will be in "flex schedule".

That is messed up. I don't recall that happening before... and I'm pretty sure that ESPN has always had the rights to D1-AA playoffs and the Heisman presentation. That really puts a crunch time between the semifinal game and the championship game. Not to mention the NFL games on Sunday night that will be in "flex schedule".

I don't know if the reason's I gave are the right ones, just possibilities. I just looked at ESPN's programming schedule and posted those options. You have to remember that it is Division 2 football, not the most important thing to ESPN I would guess.

Why would you complain about this? Who cares when the games are? They are televising the games on a national network, that is a good thing.

We attempt to be fairly civil on this board. Why don't you change your name!

Thanks!

Sorry, the only two teams I cheer for each week is the Sioux and whoever is playing the bison, therefore I feel my name is very fitting. I'm sorry I couldn't come up with an original username like yours. :lol: