SiouxSports.com Forum

playoff pairings

UND92,96

Perhaps. But on the other hand, UND will have to go on the road and beat Omaha and Grand Valley on back to back weekends to make it to the semifinals. That seems like almost an insurmountable task.

Beating GVSU will be a much bigger task than beating UNO. UND should have to go on the road to GVSU no matter what.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps. But on the other hand, UND will have to go on the road and beat Omaha and Grand Valley on back to back weekends to make it to the semifinals. That seems like almost an insurmountable task.

Road Warriors!!

(we got screwed...our first road game should of been to GVSU)

OK . . . I'm guessing the Saturday playoff game will begin at 1 p.m. Does that mean that the idiots at WDAZ will broadcast some bush league D2 playoff game (shouldn't UND football "fans" have some incentive to go to the game?) instead of the #1 vs. #2 matchup of Ohio State and Michigan?

Please WDAZ, show that you care about football.

There's this thing called the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. Perhaps you've heard of it? With that said, I hope it's not on tv.

Beating GVSU will be a much bigger task than beating UNO. UND should have to go on the road to GVSU no matter what.

Agree. But my point was that beating Grand Valley on the road might have been a little easier with a week off and a home game prior to it. While it was always a tall task, it seems nearly impossible now. I'm not giving up...just lamenting a little.

OK . . . I'm guessing the Saturday playoff game will begin at 1 p.m. Does that mean that the idiots at WDAZ will broadcast some bush league D2 playoff game (shouldn't UND football "fans" have some incentive to go to the game?) instead of the #1 vs. #2 matchup of Ohio State and Michigan?

Please WDAZ, show that you care about football.

There's a way to make your point without insulting everyone else in this forum. How about this - "I hope they put the Sioux game on FSSN and leave ABC open for the Ohio State-Michigan game."

Bush league D2 playoff game?

UND football "fans"?

Go away troll.

Doesn't anyone believe USD can beat GVSU? UND could host USD (or Northwood) in the regional finals/national semi-finals...

GO SIOUX!!!

Valid point. Especially if the weather in Allendale is halfway decent, USD would have a shot in a shootout. It's one thing to slow down Logan when you've seen him several times. It's much tougher when you're playing him for the first time. Of course, USD will need to beat Northwood first, and finally show that they can win a big road game. Fortunately for USD, Northwood is all run-no pass, which should play right into USD's hands.

Doesn't anyone believe USD can beat GVSU? UND could host USD (or Northwood) in the regional finals/national semi-finals...

GO SIOUX!!!

I was thinking about this...Has GVSU played ANYONE this year besides Northwood? How will they react if USD goes up 14-0 early.

Still...UNO is waiting for the UND/WSU winner, w/an extra week off as well.

GO SIOUX!!!

Someone has faith...I do too...USD needs to prove something....Heck they aren't a bad team they are actually quite good in my book.

UND was #2 going into this weekend. UND played and beat a tougher team and should have only improved its S.O.S. I know UNO beat UND head-to-head and that's probably what the selection committee will hang its hat on, but this just seems way too coincidental. If I were UND's attorneys, I'd subpoena every member of the selection committee to see if there was any pressure to punish UND for its lawsuit/injunction.

I smell contempt of court.

The NCAA's modus operandi has been to put the screws to schools that dare challenge their authority. What makes it worse is that the NCAA administrators have a long memory and will likely show no mercy toward any perceived UND minor indiscretion. UND adminisitrators, athletes, and fans will be constantly under close scrutiny if the NCAA maintains there past behavior. Wait and see what happens with the women's team in March: the NCAA will do everything in their power to mess with the Sioux hosting a regional in that one.

The selection committee should be subpoenaed for this spring's trial.

I was thinking about this...Has GVSU played ANYONE this year besides Northwood? How will they react if USD goes up 14-0 early.

Still...UNO is waiting for the UND/WSU winner, w/an extra week off as well.

I am convinced that UND can beat UNO, they are due.

GO SIOUX!!!

I think USD has a shot because they can both run and pass the ball effectively. I doubt Northwood can beat GV because they are very one dimensional on offense.

Is it safe to say UND's drop from #2 is unprecedented?

It's hard to say since the criteria change every year, but I'd say yes. I know full well how the committee CAN attempt to justify this--I believe UNO's SOS is higher, and they have the head-to-head win. But obviously the fact that they had UND ahead of UNO even before UND's win yesterday seems to completely nullify those arguments. Either last week's rankings were wrong, or else they're wrong today. There doesn't seem to be any way to reconcile the two.

It is obviously retaliation for the granting of the injunction. There is no reasonable explanation for a #2 dropping down in the rankings for winning against the #3, while at the same time being surpassed by the #4 seed. One would be hard-pressed to find a scenario from the past in which a #4 ranked team was rewarded so greatly on the final week of the season for defeating the #12 ranked team. I know UNO won head-to-head against UND, but that is a weak argument to move them up two spots and ahead of the Sioux based on a one-point win in Omaha. :D

They say they do not use head to head as much as SOS, but it seems odd that.. You can beat a .500 team the last day of season and jump two spots..? (UNO)

We beat a ranked oppent USD and drop one to #3...

I'm confident the National Committee in their review, Changed the recomended regional rankings..?

Do not know for sure but just a guess, The NCAA has reps on the National Committee

This is the exact playoff criteria as taken from the NCAA Handbook used to select and seed teams;

1) D2 win-loss (record and winning percentage)

UND 8-1

UNO 8-2

1 check for UND

2) Division II strength of schedule

Can only go by last weeks region rankings here, in which case UND is clearly ahead and inproved since last week.

1 check for UND

After that these may be evaluated;

1) Head-to-head competition 1 check for UNO

2) Result against common opponents UNO lost to USD, UND beat USD

1 check for UND

3) D2 won-loss record of opponents UNO- 54-43

UND- 45-41

1 check for UNO

4) D2 record versus teams less then or equal to .500

Wash

5) D2 record versus teams with greater then .500

Check for UND, UNO lost to NW Missouri and USD, UND to UNO

6) D2 in-region record

Wash

7) Overall won-loss record UND 9-1 UNO 8-2

Check for UND

8) Results versus non-D2 opponents UND 1-0, UNO 0-0

I guess this is a check for UNO, but UND played 1 top 10 I-AA team, so?

9) Last 4 games UND- 3-1, UNO- 3-1

Wash

So based on the criteria, UND won 5 of them including the all-important 1st two, UNO won 2 of them & one of them (results against non-D2 opponents) is iffy at best, and there was a wash on 3 of them. How was this even close if this is the exact playoff selection criteria??

Let's concentrate on Winona first of all, but I am confident about UND's chances in Omaha. UNO had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat the Sioux earlier this year, and Manke was not anywhere close to 100% healthy at the time.

If South Dakota can conquer their road woes and get past Northwood, they will be the best team that GVSU has faced this season, hands down. USD is the best DII team that UND has faced this year in my opinion.

Keep in mind that USD got shafted in this process too, due to the NCAA's vendetta against UND. They were #3 coming into yesterday's game. There is no legitimate argument that one can present to support the #3 team losing by 7 on the road to the #2 team on the final week of the season where the #3 team should drop to #5, now 3 spots behind #2 UNO, who USD thumped convincingly a couple weeks ago. USD should be hosting next week. Again, I've never seen a #4 get rewarded so greatly for beating a #12 at home. :D

I think bottom line is... we got screwed, everyone knows it, fans, the NCAA, the athletes and more importantly Coach Lennon. I actually think this will only fuel a playoff run that will at least get us to GVSU the week after Thanksgiving. USD may have a shot if they get past Northwood, but did anyone see GVSU on CSTV.com last week. They basically toyed with Saginaw like a cat with an injured mouse. I think GVSU and Northwest Missouri are the cream of the crop no matter how you shake it. UND's D needs to continue to improve to make a run deep in the playoffs. I think the Sioux are back in form at the right time and can beat anybody if they play like they are capable of. Who really cares anyway, you play all year for a shot in the playoffs and now it's time to strap up and play. One and done from this point. Let's all be thankfull that at least the boys get a chance to prove it on the field. Not like the debacle that is the BCS!!!

Go Sioux!!