SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. St. Cloud St.

bincitysioux

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big congratulations to weston dressler on his 12th TD reception of the year and his 20th of his career. With 2 more he will break Dan Graff's record of 21, and 12 in a season is a new single season record for the sioux as well. Ryan Chappel is also 203 yards short of 1000 yards on the season, if he makes this feat, he would break Phillip Moore's Record of 953 rushing yards as a freshman and the first freshman with a 1,000 yard season. So congrats to both!

I was fortunate enough to attend the game yesterday. A few observations:

-Manke is amazing. He made some plays yesterday that I'm not sure any other quarterback UND has ever had could have made by escaping the rush and improvising. I have the utmost confidence in the offense when he's in the game.

-the running game right now is excellent. Chappell is looking more and more (no pun intended) like a young Phillip Moore.

-the kick coverage team needs some work. Frankly, I think there should be more defensive starters out there. Bring back ZBJ, for example. It will need to play well next week, or else just kick the ball out of bounds, because Logan is very dangerous.

-the db's need to eliminate the big plays. This is three games in a row that long touchdown passes have been given up either because of a missed tackle or a blown coverage. USD doesn't throw often, but when they do it tends to be for a big play since db's tend to start to cheat up to help against the run.

-it was an excellent contingent of UND fans in St. Cloud, as usual.

I was also at the game, and pretty much agree with everything that UND92,96 said. I echo his concerns about the secondary's tendency to give up the big play. This was one of the most entertaining games I have ever been to, but if not for the two busted plays by the secondary and the bobbled snap on the FG attempt, the game is not close at all. And it was a great showing by Sioux fans. The total attendance for the game was 4,077 but I only remember noticing the Husky fans on two occasions in the entire game. UND definately has great fans.

Oh yeah, I am normally not one to harp on refs, but that was easily the worst officiating job I've seen in the 4 years that I've been regularily going to games.

This really has nothing to do with the game yesterday, but since there was talk early in this thread about the quarterback situation next year, I thought I'd throw this out there for consideration. IF neither Freund nor Landry seize control of the job early in spring ball, how about moving Rory Manke to quarterback? He was a heck of a high school quarterback, and if he has even half the intangibles that Reed has, he could actually be our best option, notwithstanding the fact that he hasn't played the position for a few years.

This really has nothing to do with the game yesterday, but since there was talk early in this thread about the quarterback situation next year, I thought I'd throw this out there for consideration. IF neither Freund nor Landry seize control of the job early in spring ball, how about moving Rory Manke to quarterback? He was a heck of a high school quarterback, and if he has even half the intangibles that Reed has, he could actually be our best option, notwithstanding the fact that he hasn't played the position for a few years.

Rory Manke is not a d2 or d1aa QB. Keep him where he's at. He'll be a consistent All-Conf performer at Safety.

Rory Manke is not a d2 or d1aa QB. Keep him where he's at. He'll be a consistent All-Conf performer at Safety.

I realize it probably isn't going to happen, but I don't think it's because he isn't capable. I'm pretty sure NDSU was recruiting him as a quarterback, and he was second-team all-state as a quarterback. There are some interesting comments about his quarterbacking skills here: link.

Any theories on why our pass defense is getting lit up at inopportune times? When you look at the experience returning this year in the secondary this is surprising. I know that our pass rush is eratic - we seem to be blitzing and stunting less - It looks like we are sometimes hanging our secondary out there. Anyway - I'm surprised that this is a weakness this year.

We're going to need a 'year wiser' Rory Manke running the secondary next year, especially since we won't have Hoffschneider on the hot corner (not to mention DeSautel and Greenwood) and we'll have youngish linebackers.

Given the emergence of Ryan Chappell, and the "extra year" the injury gave Brandon Strouth, and arguably the best returning running game for UND in quite a while, plus the Dressler factor, we have a year next year where the expectation on the QB position will be to manage the offense for maximum execution and minimum mistakes (meaning little expectation for "how'd he do that?" play like Manke pulled Saturday). That's as "low stress" as you can make the QB position and that's the role the 2007 starter will be stepping in to.

My guess it'll be Freund with Setness and Landry pushing him very hard (unless we can get that hack Smith, at Ohio State, another year of eligibility and to transfer to UND).

We're going to need a 'year wiser' Rory Manke running the secondary next year, especially since we won't have Hoffschneider on the hot corner (not to mention DeSautel and Greenwood) and we'll have youngish linebackers.

Given the emergence of Ryan Chappell, and the "extra year" the injury gave Brandon Strouth, and arguably the best returning running game for UND in quite a while, plus the Dressler factor, we have a year next year where the expectation on the QB position will be to manage the offense for maximum execution and minimum mistakes (meaning little expectation for "how'd he do that?" play like Manke pulled Saturday). That's as "low stress" as you can make the QB position and that's the role the 2007 starter will be stepping in to.

My guess it'll be Freund with Setness and Landry pushing him very hard (unless we can get that hack Smith, at Ohio State, another year of eligibility and to transfer to UND).

I realize moving Rory to quarterback isn't going to happen, probably for a variety of reasons, but I do think a fairly strong argument could be made that the UND offense is at its best with a mobile quarterback who makes good decisions, can make plays with his feet, and is an accurate short passer. I believe Rory would fit that description, but hopefully one of the other quarterback can, as well. It certainly didn't look like Freund has much speed judging by watching him try to run down the guy after the blocked field goal, but hopefully he has quick feet and good pocket presence similar to Reed.

Oh yeah, I am normally not one to harp on refs, but that was easily the worst officiating job I've seen in the 4 years that I've been regularily going to games.

I was on the sideline the 4th and 15 pass interference call was a bad call, the side judge did not call anything the back judge under the goal posts throws the late flag, Both receiver and d-back out of bounds around the 10-12 yard line. I hate to see a victory aided by a offcials call.

I thought Randy Hedberg handled it very well, I believe his quote was something like "Good teams fine ways to win these type of games", But he did get ripped on that call.