SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. St. Cloud St.

bincitysioux

I'll be making the trip to St. Cloud this weekend. Anyone else? SCSU is a bit down this year at just 3-6, but in recent years they've played the Sioux pretty well. I expect UND to win handily this weekend but there are a couple of things to be concerned about with St. Cloud. They played very well this past weekend and had the lead AT Omaha until the 4th quarter. UND hasn't exactly set the world on fire in any NCC contest this year, save for this past weekend against Duluth. Hopefully they've righted the ship. They have a solid defense overall. SCSU has the seond leading pass defense in the NCC this year so I hope that Chappel, Strouth, and Beatty play as well as they did against UMD. The Huskies are also leading the NCC in total defense this year. I think their anemic offense going against UND's defense will be too much to overcome though.

UND 24

SCSU 13

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be making the trip to St. Cloud this weekend. Anyone else? SCSU is a bit down this year at just 3-6, but in recent years they've played the Sioux pretty well. I expect UND to win handily this weekend but there are a couple of things to be concerned about with St. Cloud. They played very well this past weekend and had the lead AT Omaha until the 4th quarter. UND hasn't exactly set the world on fire in any NCC contest this year, save for this past weekend against Duluth. Hopefully they've righted the ship. They have a solid defense overall. SCSU has the seond leading pass defense in the NCC this year so I hope that Chappel, Strouth, and Beatty play as well as they did against UMD. The Huskies are also leading the NCC in total defense this year. I think their anemic offense going against UND's defense will be too much to overcome though.

UND 24

SCSU 13

I'm leaning towards going to this game, although I have a feeling it's going to be a frustrating one to watch and it will likely be quite low-scoring. The forecast calls for a high of 44 with possible rain, which could mean turnovers might be a problem (on both sides). SCSU does have a good defense, although they did catch some breaks by playing USD early on before the Coyote offense was doing much, and they played UNO last week without Miller. One thing to watch for is whether the SCSU punt team can finally fix their problems. They've apparently had many, many punts blocked due to some weird formation they use. It's cost them at least two wins.

My feeling is that these last two games are practically playoff games. While UND would still almost certainly get into the playoffs with another loss, it realistically needs to go into the post season on a high note if the Sioux are going to have much of a chance to make any noise once they get there.

A few things from the coaches' show last night:

1. Manke and Belmore have shared time practicing with the first team this week about 50-50, and Lennon said Manke is very close to being completely recovered, but I got the impression Belmore will start again.

2. A caller asked about Freund's progress, and of course Dale was complimentary, but he indicated that it will probably be a battle between he and Landry this spring for the starting job. He also said he's heard from a few prospective quarterback transfers interested in UND.

A few things from the coaches' show last night:

1. Manke and Belmore have shared time practicing with the first team this week about 50-50, and Lennon said Manke is very close to being completely recovered, but I got the impression Belmore will start again.

2. A caller asked about Freund's progress, and of course Dale was complimentary, but he indicated that it will probably be a battle between he and Landry this spring for the starting job. He also said he's heard from a few prospective quarterback transfers interested in UND.

If Manke is ready to go he needs to start and be the guy. I am surprised that Freund didn't get time against Duluth. We don't need to leave Belmore in when we are up by 35-0 and the backup needs reps. (That was also true when Manke initially got hurt. We were way ahead of Winona and Belmore needed reps). That is one of the most important things you can do for a team. Get your back-ups playing time whenever you can. They are going to tend to work harder in practice and they are going to work harder in the off season and they are gong to have more fun. They are also going to be more prepared if you really need them.

If Manke is ready to go he needs to start and be the guy. I am surprised that Freund didn't get time against Duluth. We don't need to leave Belmore in when we are up by 35-0 and the backup needs reps. (That was also true when Manke initially got hurt. We were way ahead of Winona and Belmore needed reps). That is one of the most important things you can do for a team. Get your back-ups playing time whenever you can. They are going to tend to work harder in practice and they are going to work harder in the off season and they are gong to have more fun. They are also going to be more prepared if you really need them.

I am a bit surprised that the circumstances around Manke's initial injury has not been an issue on this site. As you point out, it definitely was late in the game when he got hurt.

I don't second-guess our coaching staff often but this injury could have been avoided had we elected to give Belmore some playing time.

I am a bit surprised that the circumstances around Manke's initial injury has not been an issue on this site. As you point out, it definitely was late in the game when he got hurt.

I don't second-guess our coaching staff often but this injury could have been avoided had we elected to give Belmore some playing time.

The fact that Freund didn't play against UMD was addressed somewhat on the coaches's show last night, and basically Dale's explanation was that he's seen too many big leads disappear quickly with today's passing offenses so he wasn't comfortable with a 35-14 lead, and once UND's long drive for the final score was over and it was 38-14, UND never got the ball back. With that said, I agree that there have been some instances this year when the starters, or at least the key players like Manke and Dressler, stayed in a bit too long. Manke's injury against Winona really was avoidable IMO. That game was over at halftime (35-0), and Belmore should have played the entire second half, but I realize hindsight is 20/20. The fact that a team could theoretically come back from a 35-0 deficit isn't an excuse considering how much faith Dale has consistently professed in Belmore.

I am not really second guessing, I just believe in getting your backups in. Key substitutions shouldn't jeopardize a big lead and I think it is important for development of the backups and team moral. Dale and his staff are doing a very good job. They are the ones who see the kids at practice everyday and are the ones who get paid to make those decisions.

Is this why there doesn't to be any urgency in getting Freund playing time? Also, is Landry that impressive that he could start as a redshirt freshman?

Landry has all the Tools one of the Best QB's to ever put on a Sioux Uniform, But only time will tell how he progresses, I know at Brook's Bollinger's Camp, Brooks stated to me that Jake had all the ingredients and that, there were no limits that he could not attain if he aplied himself and worked hard.

Landry has all the Tools one of the Best QB's to ever put on a Sioux Uniform, But only time will tell how he progresses, I know at Brook's Bollinger's Camp, Brooks stated to me that Jake had all the ingredients and that, there were no limits that he could not attain if he aplied himself and worked hard.

Landry definitely has talent, and has an extremely strong arm. I was very impressed with him in the state title game last year. For those outside the area who aren't that familiar with him, he was also a three-year basketball starter, and is a heck of a pitcher with a 90 mph (or so) fastball. I honestly can't recall UND ever having a red-shirt freshman starter at quarterback (maybe Todd Kovash?), but it wouldn't shock me if Landry does start next year.

If Landry has the talent to even receive consideration to start next year, that really says something! I knew he was a very talented all-around athlete but I didn't realize he was that advanced as a QB (other than a strong arm). I thought he would likely be moved to another position. A nice surprise!