SiouxSports.com Forum

Interlocking "ND" logo

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

What was that, SiouxPride0303? I kind of drifted off after the first seven words of your paragraph...

The interlocking ND logo is noted around the country as Notre Dame. Only in North Dakota is it associated with UND. Similarly, everyone in Minnesota refers to the U of Minnesota as the "M" or the "U of M." I get a kick out of that, too, because everywhere else in the country, whenever anyone hears "U of M," they're thinking the one and only Michigan.

Cue "Hail to the Victors," DaveK. Sing it with me!

Haha, lack of funds forced me to be creative with what I have at home....I have pictures...maybe I'll put one up in my profile. I'm not a "hot" puck bunny though (well I think I'm hot but I'm no match for the real puck bunnies)...which is why it was very funny. I really wish I would have had a short skirt, but I did have the 4 inch heels I've seen those girls wear. I even made a sign to go along with my costume. But the blonde wig...hahaaa....

• 2 years later...
Very cheesy. Not to mention very few people have a clue what the flame is for. Not to mention we are not the University of North Dakota flames.

An interlocking ND that involved the U would distinguish us from notre dame, while at the same time keep up with out roots.

:D Hey, I like the flame logo, but what ARE the flames for? ;)

I had a green Sioux pullover on a flight this fall with the interlocking ND on the sleeves and the guy sitting next to me asked if Notre Dame was going to win on Saturday.......
Every time I see someone with a Notre Dame shirt on, I point to them and yell "you STOLE our logo!" HA HA....... ;) most of them haven't even heard of the Fighting Sioux. :D

Our UND was the first to use it, true. It sucks that it's not seen as "our" logo across the nation. You will notice this year though, that they actually changed it by putting "SIOUX" down the N. It looks quite stupid that way. Also, the flame logo should be institutional only, you gotta have seperate identities. Plus it is not strong enough as a sports logo.

Our UND was the first to use it, true. It sucks that it's not seen as "our" logo across the nation. You will notice this year though, that they actually changed it by putting "SIOUX" down the N. It looks quite stupid that way. Also, the flame logo should be institutional only, you gotta have seperate identities. Plus it is not strong enough as a sports logo.

Agreed, with all the controversy on the name or on even changing the name you need to keep the academics out of it. Have the use of the flame mark be related to academics and limit the use of it with athletics.

If it is our then we need to establish that we owned it first. Screw Notre Dame. I don't think we should have to give in especially IF we were the first to wear it.

True, North Dakota used it first to use in commerce, but unfortunately, the university failed to register the trademark. Notre Dame then used the logo and registered it as its trademark. The key is that Notre Dame registered the mark and North Dakota did not.

Basically, the rule is that if a mark is registered, that entity gets nationwide protection except where another entity already uses the mark. So, even though Notre Dame used it second, by registering it Notre Dame wins. But, North Dakota can still use the interlocking logo in the same manner that it did prior to Notre Dame registering the mark (probably limited to use within North Dakota or related only to UND apparel). It's all related to the geographic location and how it's used in commerce as well.

Considering the unknown future of the nickname, I think it's great that the word SIOUX was added to the N. It gives me hope that the school is committed to keeping the name.

The name is gone it is just a matter of time. ;):ohmy: The football Kabul is basically driving this.

True, North Dakota used it first to use in commerce, but unfortunately, the university failed to register the trademark. Notre Dame then used the logo and registered it as its trademark. The key is that Notre Dame registered the mark and North Dakota did not.

Basically, the rule is that if a mark is registered, that entity gets nationwide protection except where another entity already uses the mark. So, even though Notre Dame used it second, by registering it Notre Dame wins. But, North Dakota can still use the interlocking logo in the same manner that it did prior to Notre Dame registering the mark (probably limited to use within North Dakota or related only to UND apparel). It's all related to the geographic location and how it's used in commerce as well.

You sound like a lawyer :ohmy:

"Beacon over the Western Lands" ... the eternal flame of learning burns at the University. (Think the alma mater song...)
OH! ;) I know that song! "Hail to thee o alma mater! Hail to thee with heart and tongue! pride we feel and love yet greater while we raise our grateful song home of lofty thought and learning beacon o'er our western land. Shrine whence still the ever burning torch is passed from hand to hand." :ohmy:

I completely disagree with those that think that academics and athletics should be kept with seperate identities.

Many have said that athletics is the front porch of a University. Athletics is the most visable department within a University. A major part of our move to DI should be to increase not only the visability but the recognition of the University. Right now we are introducing ourselves to many sports fans for the first time. And we want these fans to be able to recognize UND and it's logos. Using a logo that most people view as another University's is not the way to do that.

And from a marketing standpoint for the University, it would be wrong to try to keep athletics and academics seperate. I'm not saying that all logos should be interchangeable. But all aspects of the University should be represented under some form of ND/UND logo. From there athletics can have the Sioux logo as their seperate logo. We all know that the Sioux logo will never be seen anywhere near or be related to anything academic at this university.

But it is definately important for the entire University to have 1 recognizable ND/UND logo that everyone will see and know it as the University of North Dakota.

I completely disagree with those that think that academics and athletics should be kept with seperate identities.

Yep I agree this is a college team :ohmy: Academics do matter. Personally, I am proud degree and our sports teams.

I don't understand how any Sioux fan could say such a thing. It would be like if you had a loved one who was fighting for their life and you said that they're done for it's just a matter of time. Regardless of how much the odds are stacked against us I just can't understand your throwing in the towel mentality. :ohmy:

Your being melodramatic, it is not the same thing as my daughter or wife fighting for their life. Like I said it is a matter of time. I don't like it but the name is gone. I said this a long time ago. If I am not mistaken I thought I read Sicatoka say it as well. You won't find a bigger supporter of the Fighting Sioux name but I am realistic. I will be a fan no matter what the name is. I will still wear my Fighting Sioux jersey as well.

I am beginning to see the writing on the wall, as many other Sioux fans are as well. The name Fighting Sioux and the current logo are all but gone, get your jerseys while you can.

What replaces the once proud Fighting Sioux name is still a mystery and up for debate. It is no mystery that I am a wave the flag proud Fighting Sioux fan, I will always be, however, because of political correctness run a muck and feel good hand wringing **liberalism** the Fighting Sioux name and logo will be gone placed on the scrap heap of history. This ladies and gentleman is a disgrace and should not happen.

I don't understand how any Sioux fan could say such a thing. It would be like if you had a loved one who was fighting for their life and you said that they're done for it's just a matter of time. Regardless of how much the odds are stacked against us I just can't understand your throwing in the towel mentality. :ohmy:

Dave, many of us are just being realistic. The name is all but gone. We don't like it but it is just a matter of time.

If your wife changed her name would you feel anything less for her? UND may change the moniker, but the school and tradition will endure.

Many have said that athletics is the front porch of a University. Athletics is the most visable department within a University. A major part of our move to DI should be to increase not only the visability but the recognition of the University. Right now we are introducing ourselves to many sports fans for the first time. And we want these fans to be able to recognize UND and it's logos. Using a logo that most people view as another University's is not the way to do that.

And from a marketing standpoint for the University, it would be wrong to try to keep athletics and academics seperate. I'm not saying that all logos should be interchangeable. But all aspects of the University should be represented under some form of ND/UND logo. From there athletics can have the Sioux logo as their seperate logo. We all know that the Sioux logo will never be seen anywhere near or be related to anything academic at this university.

But it is definately important for the entire University to have 1 recognizable ND/UND logo that everyone will see and know it as the University of North Dakota.

It's not necessarily keeping athletics seperate from athletics, just having a school logo and sport logo different. If the University is sending out official documents for important educational stuff to say other parts of the world, would they want the Sioux head on there? No. On the flip side, if you combine the two identities and the logo comes out professional on paper, but weak on a jersey, would that look good on the field? No.