SiouxSports.com Forum

Interlocking "ND" logo

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Where did the interlocking "ND" (for North Dakota, in this case) come from? Did North Dakota use it first or did Notre Dame? I have thought it was interesting that they both use a very simmilar logo. Thanks.

P.S. Personaly I would rather see North Dakota use the old "S" with the tomahawks.

I think Notre Dame must have the rights to the interlocking "ND" because UND can't use it alone. It must be used in conjunction with Fighting Sioux or University of North Dakota. Notre Dame just used the "ND".

If ownership of the interlocking ND ever did become an issue it can be demonstrated that UND used it on their uniforms first.

Which UND used it first? ;)

Of course you were probably making a joke and it's Monday, so I'm slow.

Where did the interlocking "ND" (for North Dakota, in this case) come from? Did North Dakota use it first or did Notre Dame? I have thought it was interesting that they both use a very simmilar logo. Thanks.

P.S. Personaly I would rather see North Dakota use the old "S" with the tomahawks.

Working with a couple of Notre Dame guys, I have realized one thing, North Dakota has the symbol trade marked while Notre Dame has it copyrighted. It might have something to do with the way the letters interlock.

I had a green Sioux pullover on a flight this fall with the interlocking ND on the sleeves and the guy sitting next to me asked if Notre Dame was going to win on Saturday.......

I was a Puck Bunny for Halloween and most people thought it was Notre Dame jersey, just because they saw the ND on my sleeves. The bigger idiots thought it was a Blackhawks jersey even though Sioux is plain as day. Though I did get a few "Fiiiighting Siouuuuuuuux" yells when I was riding the El train...

I always clarify..."North Dakota, not Notre Dame"....

I can live with it on the football uniforms because of the tradition associated with it, but the interlocking ND logo has NO BUSINESS on the hockey jerseys. Someone should grow a pair and replace them with the old S tomahawks, or something completely different and unique to the University of North Dakota.

The UND flame logo should not have anything to do with athletics, it is a horrible looking logo.

The interlocking or overlapping ND has been used at North Dakota for a long time and was used well before Notre Dame used it.

I had a sports marketing class in undergrad at UND and we had a discussion with one of the licensing reps for UND and she said there was an agreement between the two universities.

If I remember correctly Notre Dame is supposed to use the interlocking logo when it is by itself, however the overlapping ND, that UND only uses, can only be used by Notre Dame when accompanied by another mark of the university such as a clover leaf. Here is their licensing information which has some explaination of usage. Notre Dame Licensing sheet.

I sent an email to a friend in the UND marketing dept, who should be able to tell me what the actual agreement was, I'll let you guys know. But unfortunately Notre Dame will always get away with using the overlapping ND because they're bigger and obviously more well known.

Yes the interlocking ND logo has a long tradition with our athletics. But the fact is that outside of our region, everyone associates it with Notre Dame. Even if we used it first, people will always assume that we stole it from Notre Dame. Part of the move to DI is to make UND more visable. Using a logo assocaited with another university kind of defeats that.

I have to disagree with other people's opinions of the UND flame logo. I think it is a very strong and classy looking logo that is unique and original to UND. I believe it would be very marketable, especially on sports merchandise.

Yes the interlocking ND logo has a long tradition with our athletics. But the fact is that outside of our region, everyone associates it with Notre Dame. Even if we used it first, people will always assume that we stole it from Notre Dame. Part of the move to DI is to make UND more visable. Using a logo assocaited with another university kind of defeats that.

I have to disagree with other people's opinions of the UND flame logo. I think it is a very strong and classy looking logo that is unique and original to UND. I believe it would be very marketable, especially on sports merchandise.

your opinion is certainly just as valid as anyone else's, but i dont think many people are going to agree with you.

i think it looks cheesy and feminine.

Logo preference, like music preference, is extremely subjective. Nobody's ever going to agree on the same thing.

That being said, I'm also in favor of ditching the interlocking ND logo in favor of something unique to UND.

Logo preference, like music preference, is extremely subjective. Nobody's ever going to agree on the same thing.

That being said, I'm also in favor of ditching the interlocking ND logo in favor of something unique to UND.

exactly, im all for something unique to the U, just not that silly flaming logo

I think Fighting Sioux is pretty unique, with or without the interlocking ND. ;)

And if someone says Notre Dame, I just say "Notre who?"

i think it looks cheesy and feminine.

Very cheesy. Not to mention very few people have a clue what the flame is for. Not to mention we are not the University of North Dakota flames.

An interlocking ND that involved the U would distinguish us from notre dame, while at the same time keep up with out roots.

I was a Puck Bunny for Halloween and most people thought it was Notre Dame jersey, just because they saw the ND on my sleeves. The bigger idiots thought it was a Blackhawks jersey even though Sioux is plain as day. Though I did get a few "Fiiiighting Siouuuuuuuux" yells when I was riding the El train...

I always clarify..."North Dakota, not Notre Dame"....

What was that, SiouxPride0303? I kind of drifted off after the first seven words of your paragraph...

The interlocking ND logo is noted around the country as Notre Dame. Only in North Dakota is it associated with UND. Similarly, everyone in Minnesota refers to the U of Minnesota as the "M" or the "U of M." I get a kick out of that, too, because everywhere else in the country, whenever anyone hears "U of M," they're thinking the one and only Michigan.

Cue "Hail to the Victors," DaveK. Sing it with me!