SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU vs. Minnesota

jimdahl

Who do you want to win?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which team (and are you not a Sioux fan)?

• Minnesota
    • NDSU
    • NDSU (but I am a Bison fan)

Since there's no UND game this week, this seems to be the regional football game worth talking about.

Sioux fan seem to have varied opinions on this game:

Pro-Gopher

Gophers are favorite Big 10 team, cheer against traditional football rival NDSU

Pro-Bison

Easier to cheer for on hiatus rival NDSU than rival Minnesota, good for North Dakota, further proof how much divisions overlap, Gopher fan hoping this will get Mason fired

I'm curious how the numbers really come out (though I really should have started this poll five days ago).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be rooting for the Bison-(Did I just Type that out loud?)..

However NDSU will not be able to sneak up on these guys, Minnesota as Bad as they are, are still in the Big Ten. I look for a close game till the 4th Quarter then Minnesota Pulls away a wins by 21 or more...

I'll be rooting for the Bison-(Did I just Type that out loud?)..

However NDSU will not be able to sneak up on these guys, Minnesota as Bad as they are, are still in the Big Ten. I look for a close game till the 4th Quarter then Minnesota Pulls away a wins by 21 or more...

I'm on the fence, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it (openly cheer for NDSU that is). If I knew an NDSU victory would force Maturi's hand to cut Mason lose, then it's a no-brainer. I will be at the game tomorrow reconnecting with an old NDSU friend, so I'm hoping for a good game. I think Spaeth and Logan Payne will be the difference, Gophers by a couple of scores.

Go Bison! Gotta root for the home-state boys on this one. Even a Sioux fan should be pulling for the NDSU boys today. It's great exposure for the entire state, including UND. If the Bison win, imagine how ESPN will have it plastered all over saying "weren't these the same guys that beat Wisconsin in BB last year? WTF?!?!". It's gonna be great no matter what happens. Maybe the Sioux will be able to get a FB game with the Gophs in the upcoming years??? The $300,000 this year and $350,000 next year certainly won't hurt the Bison athletic program, win or lose. It's a great day to be a North Dakotan.

Go Bison! Gotta root for the home-state boys on this one. Even a Sioux fan should be pulling for the NDSU boys today. It's great exposure for the entire state, including UND. If the Bison win, imagine how ESPN will have it plastered all over saying "weren't these the same guys that beat Wisconsin in BB last year? WTF?!?!". It's gonna be great no matter what happens.
You did remember to vote with the "but I'm a Bison fan" disclaimer, right :blush: Sadly, beating the Gophs would barely earn a mention on ESPN, but it would probably be more along the lines of how NDSU and Minnesota regularly compete at hockey, in which the UND Bison regularly win D-I championships.

Anyway, Chuck Haga says in the STrib:

"We've been talking about it all week," said Al Pearson, a businessman and fan of the Bison's long-time rivals, the UND Sioux of Grand Forks. "Do we want the Bison to win, or the Gophers?

"If the Bison win, it will haunt us forever. They'll crow about it, just as they've been crowing since they beat Wisconsin in basketball last year.

"So we'd like to see the Gophers win, right? But it's a North Dakota team."

His anguish was palpable.

Pearson won't be at the Metrodome, so he won't have to make the awful choice -- to form and speak the words "Go Gophers!" or "Go Bison!"

I find myself wondering what my brother Jerry would do. He attended UND. He was a proud North Dakotan and lifelong Sioux fan who sometimes startled people sitting near him with his ... enthusiasm. He also volunteered to tutor Sioux athletes who needed a little help in the classroom.

He died a few years ago. At his funeral, the most prominent wreath was a great spray of Sioux green and white, with a banner that said, "Beat the Bison!"

It went with him to his grave.

To me, it's a no brainer as a North Dakotan, blood is thicker than water. I'm pulling for the Bison. I also don't understand anyone from North Dakota who can be a Gopher football fan, when there is a school two states south with infinitely more in common with North Dakota and a fanbase every bit as passionate as those that bleed Sioux green. I hope UND's first I-A game is against Nebraska, so we get a taste of real big time college football, not that stuff served up in the Metrodome.

HAHAHA. This is classic!

NDSU coach Bohl subject of practical joke

FARGO, N.D. (AP) -- North Dakota State University football coach Craig Bohl says he was baffled when he got a "thumbs-down" gesture from a man while driving down a city street Friday.

With NCAA Division I-AA NDSU (6-0) taking on Division I-A Minnesota (2-5) at the Metrodome on Saturday, Bison fever has been high in Fargo.

Bohl said he initially thought the man might be a Gophers fan, but found out differently when he pulled his car into the Fargodome parking lot and discovered he was the victim of an apparent practical joke.

"One of our players said, 'Coach, you have a "Go Gophers" sign tagged to your front bumper,'" Bohl said. "I got out and looked, and lo and behold, there it was."

Sid Hartmann made the preidiction that the Goophs would win by 40-0. If that isn't an incentive for me to pull for the Bison there never will be one.

I truly wish there was a spread on this game because I would've taken the Bison all the way to the bank. Grandpa Sports is an ignorant imbecile. He's been making that prediction all week. He wouldn't even discuss the game with Bison fans on his radio show. He just kept repeating that ignorant score and would hang up. What a giant piece of petrified donkey ****. :blush: