SiouxSports.com Forum

Manke

UND Fan

Anyone know how Reed Manke is doing? He certainly didn't look good as he left the field after the last play in Omaha. The week off certainly is coming at a good time!

Evidently they interviewed him after the game and he said that he was going to be OK.

I didn't hear it though...someone else here mentioned it in the game update thread.

Darn, I have trouble watching when Belmore is playing. I find him frustrating. Just my opinion though.

I have to agree that the offense tends to be frustrating to watch when Reed isn't in there. One thing to watch for is whether Belmore can get the ball to Dressler. Weston's stats with Manke playing are incredible; when Belmore plays the numbers go way, way down. You have to get the ball to your playmaker.

Even on video tape of the game Belmore looked pretty good. Wow, shredded the UMD defense.

He did a nice job getting the ball to Dressler. I was pretty nervous though watching Belmore take some of the shots he did after throwing the ball. Considering our backup has played about 2 drives it could have gotten interesting if Belmore went down (assuming that Manke would not play). I never saw him warm up during the game as the backup normally does which made me believe he would not play. Then again by the time I looked up at the scoreboard it was already 28-0.

Between injuries and some erratic play, it's been five years since UND has had a quarterback actually make it through an entire season as the starter (Klosterman in 2001). In 2002, Kelby was injured pretty early on and Bowenkamp played most of the year. In 2003, Bowenkamp and Wilson both played quite a bit. In 2004, it was Bowenkamp and Belmore. And of course, in 2005 and 2006, Belmore and Manke have been in and out of the lineup. It's actually kind of surprising UND has had as much success as it's had given this lack of stability/continuity at such a key position.

Although the Manke injury this year has been very unfortunate, if it had to happen, the timing turned out to be as good as it could have been. He's played in five games, and four of those have been on the road. Obviously, considering how difficult it is to win on the road, he's the guy you need in there moreso on the road than at home.

• 1 month later...
Although the Manke injury this year has been very unfortunate, if it had to happen, the timing turned out to be as good as it could have been. He's played in five games, and four of those have been on the road. Obviously, considering how difficult it is to win on the road, he's the guy you need in there moreso on the road than at home.

For what it is worth, Manke played with a broken collarbone. The injury kept him from having the best year statistically in UND history in almost every passing category. His 19 TD passes, 2198 yds, 193 completions and 281 attempts were very impressive considering he missed 4 games. Most of those numbers place him in the top 10 in the UND record books. Despite only starting less than one season, he will also finish in the top ten in most UND passing lists for a career and at the top of the lists for post season statistics. I have watched UND FB since the mid 1960's and he is as good as we have had. He ranks with Kelby Klosterman (won a national championship), Todd Kovash, Kevin Klancher and Corey Colehauer. Reed made a huge difference with his leadership. It would have been fun to have watched him start for 3 years.

What is also impressive is that Belmore will also finish in almost every top 10 list for career and season passing categories. If you put their numbers together for this year they would have shattered most of the season passing records.

Manke handled playing behind Belmore with a lot of class and once he was given a chance he showed why he was the QB the so many schools wanted badly 5 yrs ago. Belmore handled playing behind Manke this year with a lot of class. Both of these guys did what they did on good teams with good RB's so their stats weren't padded by being forced to throw all of the time. They also led this class of players to the most wins by any group in UND history.

They were throwing to some of the best receivers UND has ever had including Dressler who thus far is the best I have seen and benefitted from great defenses and O-lines who gave them good protection.

Congrats to both of these QB's. They are also both excellent students and from now on will only be better with time, stories and talk over beers.

I agree. It is too bad that when Bowenkamp got injured in 2004, that it was not Manke who stepped in to solidify himself as the starter going into the 2005 season. I am not a coach, I am sure that there is good reason that Lennon went with Belmore when he did (perhaps he was "farther along" as a sophomore), and as you said he was a very capable QB who had a nice career. But watching Manke play in 2006, it makes one wonder how good he and this team could have been given another year or two of experience as a starter. And remember, I was not always a supporter of Manke, but he really opened my eyes at the end of 2005 and all year this year.

I have watched UND FB since the mid 1960's and he is as good as we have had. He ranks with Kelby Klosterman (won a national championship), Todd Kovash, Kevin Klancher and Corey Colehauer.

Don't forget about John Bowenkamp. IMHO I think he was the best "pure-passer" that UND has had since Todd Kovash. Had he not missed nearly all of the 2004 season with injury, he probably would have finished his career owning about every major statistical record in UND history. And he took the Sioux to the National Championship game. With the defense that the Sioux had in 2004, and a healthy Bowenkamp, they would have probably been right there again.

Now, give the 2003 or 2004 defense to Manke, and we walk all over GVSU this year. :angry: