SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ladies look spooked.

Good call by both Sioux MD and Walrus. After the first 5-6 min of the game the girls would bring the ball down, get a pass and their first look was to pass to someone else. They had the deer in the headlights look. Same look they had when St. Cloud beat them. They weren't looking to score. We were tentative and that caused us to turn it over. We needed someone who wanted to have the ball in their hands when the going got tough. We also didn't do a good job of getting the ball to Kimbrough. She sat out too much of the first part of the second half. Also in the second half, there were four or five times when Langen was either alone or poorly guarded and no one noticed. She left the open area 10 ft from the bucket to screen out near the 3 pt line. Langen is a force underneath but is a lot slower this year than the last two years. Her opponent blew right by her twice in the second half and she couldn;t get to the loose ball like she used to. I was impressed with the fact that they didn't quit and worked hard. The Bergan kid added spark and I think will be a great point guard. Kimbrough can be one of the best if not the best big kid we have had. Great season. Bad time to have a bad game. Great careers for Mafin and Jahner.

Good call by both Sioux MD and Walrus. After the first 5-6 min of the game the girls would bring the ball down, get a pass and their first look was to pass to someone else. They had the deer in the headlights look. Same look they had when St. Cloud beat them. They weren't looking to score. We were tentative and that caused us to turn it over. We needed someone who wanted to have the ball in their hands when the going got tough. We also didn't do a good job of getting the ball to Kimbrough. She sat out too much of the first part of the second half. Also in the second half, there were four or five times when Langen was either alone or poorly guarded and no one noticed. She left the open area 10 ft from the bucket to screen out near the 3 pt line. Langen is a force underneath but is a lot slower this year than the last two years. Her opponent blew right by her twice in the second half and she couldn;t get to the loose ball like she used to. I was impressed with the fact that they didn't quit and worked hard. The Bergan kid added spark and I think will be a great point guard. Kimbrough can be one of the best if not the best big kid we have had. Great season. Bad time to have a bad game. Great careers for Mafin and Jahner.

Murph,

Exactly Right!

Saw 5 regular season games this year 3 looses and 2 wins, Unfornuately the Team that showed last nite was the Northern State, Augie, St Cloud Away team...Great Year, but It hurts I am sure when you loose not playing your best that is what is hard to accept.

I just got back into town from Kearney. The first 10 minutes or so were fine, and then the wheels fell off. I'm really not at all convinced that Gulf Coast is as good as they played last night. If they were, I would have expected them to have rolled through their regional tournament a lot more convincingly than they did. Regardless, whether due to their very good play or our very poor play, they were the better team last night. What made the loss all the more frustrating was the fact that the other six teams in the tournament looked terrible. There's no doubt in my mind that even as poorly as we played last night, had we played any of those other six teams yesterday, it would have been an easy win.

It seems everytime the wheels come off the bus, the women have no one who can stem the tide. 26 turnovers for our girls is crazy!!!

When UND is going bad, they are taking quick perimeter shots, the posts last night never caught the ball on the block at all. They caught it on the free throw line.

I still feel, if our girls would have slowed that game down, wear them down with our size, UND would have been able to win that game ugly. And sometimes winning ugly is good enough. Especially at the national tourney!!

My two cents...for what its worth.

Florida Gulf Coast deserves a lot of credit though. Very very good athletes!!!

Simply judging by the score, I have a feeling last night was more the "real" Florida Gulf Coast team than what UND saw. Granted, I probably shouldn't judge Clayton State solely on the one game I saw them play, but in that one game they looked like a team completely lacking in fundamentals. Had Gulf Coast played (or at least shot) like they did against the Sioux, I don't think there's any way Clayton would have stayed within 30 to 40 points of them. I'd guess what Clayton actually had going for them was the quickness to defend Gulf Coast on the perimeter. UND's defense was just plain bad on Wednesday.

Simply judging by the score, I have a feeling last night was more the "real" Florida Gulf Coast team than what UND saw. Granted, I probably shouldn't judge Clayton State solely on the one game I saw them play, but in that one game they looked like a team completely lacking in fundamentals. Had Gulf Coast played (or at least shot) like they did against the Sioux, I don't think there's any way Clayton would have stayed within 30 to 40 points of them. I'd guess what Clayton actually had going for them was the quickness to defend Gulf Coast on the perimeter. UND's defense was just plain bad on Wednesday.

Maybe the Gulf Coast team is the kind of team that plays up or down depending on their opponent. After playing so well on Wednesday they had somewhat of a let down.

Realistically, how many more years is Roebuck expected to coach? He must be about 59 or 60 right now. You don't generally see college coaches continuing coaching right up to retirement age, although it happens one in awhile. Not that I'm trying to push him out the door or anything, but I have been thinking about potential replacements simply given his age and the fact that retirement could conceivably happen within the next few years. About the only ones that come to mind are Karla Nelson and perhaps Travis Brewster. Interestingly, in a Forum article about Moorhead basketball today, Lori Ulferts was quoted:

I agree that after watching FGCU lastnight, that was the real team. The Sioux made FGCU look like a great team the other night. Which IMO they are not. When you have big post players like the Sioux and play a scrappy team like FGCU, those post players need to make themselves bigger. They got pushed around all night and pretty much gave up! If they would've kept fighting I think FGCU would've ended up fouling out of the game. You can't overplay that hard for the whole game and not expect to have a bunch of fouls called.The girls seemed really surprised when FGCU brought that intensity to the game. Oh well it's over and now the girls need to focus on next year.

Great season and hope for the same for next year!

My two cents again. It seems UND has problems with teams that back door a lot. Use UND's overplaying of the passing lanes, get lay ups. Example Northern State. A great coach said, use their strength and make it their weakness!!! Get steals and play the passing lanes to get lay ups, instead to give up a lay up.

IMHO take it for what its worth.

A speed team v. a power team:

The speed team wins if they can make it a speed game.

The power team wins if they can make it a power game.

UND never established its power game.

FGCU established their speed game.

It's a credit to the team that could dictate the flow of the game.

I really felt that UND had the versatility to win either way. For example, take out Langen and put in Guinn and all of a sudden UND was an extremely athletic team with no real speed/quickness mismatches. The proper adjustments simply weren't made. I have no idea whether it was a matter of the players not following the gameplan, or the gameplan not being the proper one. All I can say for certain was that it was about as poor of a defensive performance as I have seen from a Sioux team. And if Valdosta State, Delta State and Clayton State could all keep Gulf Coast's scoring well below their season average, it seems to me that the Sioux should have been able to do the same.

WOW.

For example, take out Langen and put in Guinn and all of a sudden UND was an extremely athletic team with no real speed/quickness mismatches. The proper adjustments simply weren't made.

UND never tried to establish its speed game, and never established its power game.

Credit goes to the team that established its game.

There's no "wow" there; it's being honest and humble in defeat and it takes nothing away from the UND WBB season. I hope they use this defeat to push two games further next year.

UND never tried to establish its speed game, and never established its power game.

Credit goes to the team that established its game.

There's no "wow" there; it's being honest and humble in defeat and it takes nothing away from the UND WBB season. I hope they use this defeat to push two games further next year.

No question, Gulf Coast deserves credit for probably playing their best game of the year (per their coach) at the best possible time. But if you asked me point blank--what was the biggest reason Gulf Coast not only won that game, but won it convincingly despite no size, limited depth and frankly having less overall talent? At least in that particular game, they were much better coached. Before anybody jumps all over me, I'm not contending that Roebuck is a poor coach by any means. It's just that he has some weaknesses, and they were exposed on that particular night, just as they were often exposed in games against NDSU when UND was favored, and recently in a few games against St. Cloud State. For example, have people noticed that when things start really going bad how they seem to continue to go that way until the end of the game? Such as when the Sioux have blown big leads, even at home? IMO, Roebuck simply doesn't possess that calming influence that a lot of great coaches have, and know when to use. He is much more apt to throw a tantrum, which doesn't exactly make the players play any less scared or tight. I thought for certain that the team would come out to start the second half with fire in their eyes and at some point at least make a run to cut the lead into single digits. It didn't happen. Quite the opposite, in fact. That disappointed me even more than that horrible last 10 minutes of the first half.

Without naming any names, I was told prior to the game by somebody who knows A LOT about basketball, and who was a great player at UND, that on paper the Sioux were 20 points better than Gulf Coast. I truly believe that. So people can draw their own conclusions about what caused that alleged 40 point swing.

No question, Gulf Coast deserves credit for probably playing their best game of the year (per their coach) at the best possible time. But if you asked me point blank--what was the biggest reason Gulf Coast not only won that game, but won it convincingly despite no size, limited depth and frankly having less overall talent? At least in that particular game, they were much better coached. Before anybody jumps all over me, I'm not contending that Roebuck is a poor coach by any means. It's just that he has some weaknesses, and they were exposed on that particular night, just as they were often exposed in games against NDSU when UND was favored, and recently in a few games against St. Cloud State. For example, have people noticed that when things start really going bad how they seem to continue to go that way until the end of the game? Such as when the Sioux have blown big leads, even at home? IMO, Roebuck simply doesn't possess that calming influence that a lot of great coaches have, and know when to use. He is much more apt to throw a tantrum, which doesn't exactly make the players play any less scared or tight. I thought for certain that the team would come out to start the second half with fire in their eyes and at some point at least make a run to cut the lead into single digits. It didn't happen. Quite the opposite, in fact. That disappointed me even more than that horrible last 10 minutes of the first half.

Without naming any names, I was told prior to the game by somebody who knows A LOT about basketball, and who was a great player at UND, that on paper the Sioux were 20 points better than Gulf Coast. I truly believe that. So people can draw their own conclusions about what caused that alleged 40 point swing.

During the second half...WDAZ showed Coach Roebuck lounging on the side lines. It made me cringe.

RE: FGCU

They played better and deserved the win.

I somewhat agree on the coaching but not totally. With a pool of talent such as the Sioux, those girls know what to do when it needs to be done and how to get it done! It was not accomplished the other night and it cost them the game. The coach can only set up plays and ecourage them, they have to follow through with it. I'm sure after you fall behind as bad as they did it's hard for somebody like Roebuck to dish out to many words of encouragement. At this level of game it's all about being head strong and not let things like being down by 30 get to you.