SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

During the second half...WDAZ showed Coach Roebuck lounging on the side lines. It made me cringe.

RE: FGCU

They played better and deserved the win.

They did. What I'm having trouble with is that when you look at the last four games Gulf Coast has played, they scored in the 50's or low 60's, EXCEPT for the game against UND. Were they that poorly scouted by the Sioux? They had a ton of wide open looks from outside the 3-point line, and a ton of easy layups. Evidently, they weren't getting those against Valdosta, Delta or Clayton. Why?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I somewhat agree on the coaching but not totally. With a pool of talent such as the Sioux, those girls know what to do when it needs to be done and how to get it done! It was not accomplished the other night and it cost them the game. The coach can only set up plays and ecourage them, they have to follow through with it. I'm sure after you fall behind as bad as they did it's hard for somebody like Roebuck to dish out to many words of encouragement. At this level of game it's all about being head strong and not let things like being down by 30 get to you.

Of course, the players must bear some of the responsibility for a poor performance. I'm just getting a little sick and tired of these instances of things spiraling out of control, and not being able to stop it, such as what happened in basically all four losses this year.

UND never tried to establish its speed game, and never established its power game.

Credit goes to the team that established its game.

There's no "wow" there; it's being honest and humble in defeat and it takes nothing away from the UND WBB season. I hope they use this defeat to push two games further next year.

Being honest is fine. Humility is a great thing too. If its not displayed, it will get shown to a team, a individual or whomever. At some point and time.

UND 92,96

This is where I agree with you on the coaching. The coach needs to be able to put all aside and settle the girls down when they are put into the situation they were in the other night. It didn't happen and things went into an outa control spin.

There are different kinds of coaches. Dean Blais would break sticks and let his players know how he felt. Dave Hakstol has a much more calm demeanor. Both have been very successful. Roebuck is what he is, and that passion is what makes him and his teams successful. Is he perfect? No! But then again, neither are Blais or Hakstol, and I wouldn't trade any of them and their passion for UND for a coach who wouldn't bleed green.

There are different kinds of coaches. Dean Blais would break sticks and let his players know how he felt. Dave Hakstol has a much more calm demeanor. Both have been very successful. Roebuck is what he is, and that passion is what makes him and his teams successful. Is he perfect? No! But then again, neither are Blais or Hakstol, and I wouldn't trade any of them and their passion for UND for a coach who wouldn't bleed green.

I'm not intending to go overboard in my criticism of Roebuck. But I think coaches like Lennon, Blais and Hakstol seem to have a better sense of knowing how to get the ship righted once it goes off course. Case in point is Lennon in the Grand Valley game this past season. Things were going about as bad as they possibly could be. What happened? The team calmed down and came back to make it a game. The difference is, at least in the past three seasons, Roebuck hasn't been able to get things turned around once they go bad. He seems to either flip out, or just sit there and give the impression that he's either given up or has no idea what to do next. That's what has me frustrated. That, and a 20-hour round trip to watch a terrible performance. I can deal with losses if the team goes down fighting. I have a tougher time accepting it when things go from fine to terrible halfway through the first half, and there's no improvement the rest of the game. That's not acceptable.

I'm not intending to go overboard in my criticism of Roebuck. But I think coaches like Lennon, Blais and Hakstol seem to have a better sense of knowing how to get the ship righted once it goes off course. Case in point is Lennon in the Grand Valley game this past season. Things were going about as bad as they possibly could be. What happened? The team calmed down and came back to make it a game. The difference is, at least in the past three seasons, Roebuck hasn't been able to get things turned around once they go bad. He seems to either flip out, or just sit there and give the impression that he's either given up or has no idea what to do next. That's what has me frustrated. That, and a 20-hour round trip to watch a terrible performance. I can deal with losses if the team goes down fighting. I have a tougher time accepting it when things go from fine to terrible halfway through the first half, and there's no improvement the rest of the game. That's not acceptable.

Sometimes BB games are like that, no matter what you try it doesn't work.

No question, Gulf Coast deserves credit for probably playing their best game of the year (per their coach) at the best possible time. But if you asked me point blank--what was the biggest reason Gulf Coast not only won that game, but won it convincingly despite no size, limited depth and frankly having less overall talent? At least in that particular game, they were much better coached. Before anybody jumps all over me, I'm not contending that Roebuck is a poor coach by any means. It's just that he has some weaknesses, and they were exposed on that particular night, just as they were often exposed in games against NDSU when UND was favored, and recently in a few games against St. Cloud State. For example, have people noticed that when things start really going bad how they seem to continue to go that way until the end of the game? Such as when the Sioux have blown big leads, even at home? IMO, Roebuck simply doesn't possess that calming influence that a lot of great coaches have, and know when to use. He is much more apt to throw a tantrum, which doesn't exactly make the players play any less scared or tight. I thought for certain that the team would come out to start the second half with fire in their eyes and at some point at least make a run to cut the lead into single digits. It didn't happen. Quite the opposite, in fact. That disappointed me even more than that horrible last 10 minutes of the first half.

Without naming any names, I was told prior to the game by somebody who knows A LOT about basketball, and who was a great player at UND, that on paper the Sioux were 20 points better than Gulf Coast. I truly believe that. So people can draw their own conclusions about what caused that alleged 40 point swing.

WOW!! There is a lot a BS posted there UND 92, 96. I normally agree with the things you have to say but when the hell are the players held accountable? Everyone wants to point the finger as someone, how about shooting poorly? Did Roebuck miss some of those bunnies or wide open shots or did the girls? By the looks from the box score the girls did, although I am no rocket scientist. Whenever you have 20+ turnovers is it the coaches fault the girl dribbled in traffic and had the ball swiped or the coaches? WIN AS A TEAM LOSE AS A TEAM! No one ever said these things when they were winning NC.

I don't think that would've solved there problem, if I recall Maffin, Jahner, Langen, Kimbrough, Beck, Guinn, Bagaason and the rest of the squad were on that floor. I think any coach would love to have that kind of talent on a team. Key here is they were a team, not about individuality.

They had a bad game at the wrong time, plane and simple.

The girls from the 97 and on team would compete!!! Night in, night out!! Did not matter if they were playing Southern Indiana, or UMC. They played their butts off!! I will never forget Katie Richards playing with two cotton swabs in her nose to stop it from bleeding!! Can you imagine what the other team thought of that!! Tell me one gal we have now that is that tough, has that will to win like that, or Tiffany Pudenz or Jamie Pudenz, or Jenny Crouse's will to win. Those girls hated to lose, plain and simple. They still hate to lose today, I watched Tiff play city leauge and she still has fire in her to play!! You cant teach that, you cant coach that!! FIRE!!! Will to win. Will to compete.

I'm 100% fine with a difference in opinion. And you do win as a team and lose as a team. The problem is, who's the one person who's been a part of the past six years? How many of those years have finished up with a decent performance where you just had to tip your hat to the opponent for having a better team? Maybe once or twice? Has it always just been the players' faults?

2002--loss to SW State on a neutral court. Bad.

2003--20-point loss to SDSU. SDSU was probably better, but such a lop-sided loss one week removed from beating them in Brookings?

2004--overtime loss to SDSU. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

2005--choke at home against Concordia-St. Paul. Plain and simple.

2006--choke. Against a quality team in St. Cloud St., but still a team you'd already beaten twice and were better than, especially on your home floor. The team obviously played very tight, and shot just 36%.

2007--debatable as to whether Gulf Coast was better than UND or not, but certainly not so much better that you should be completely out of the game the entire second half.

I'm simply calling it how I see it. Roebuck has won over 85% of his games, so he's no incompetent by any means. He can certainly recruit. But in a do-or-die game, at least post-1999, how has he done? It's not like I'm starting some sort of campaign for him to be replaced. That would be stupid, as he's clearly earned the right to go out on his own terms. But to pretend that there's nothing to be critical of on the coaching end of things, considering how the past several seasons have ended, seems silly to me.

No question, Gulf Coast deserves credit for probably playing their best game of the year (per their coach) at the best possible time. But if you asked me point blank--what was the biggest reason Gulf Coast not only won that game, but won it convincingly despite no size, limited depth and frankly having less overall talent? At least in that particular game, they were much better coached. Before anybody jumps all over me, I'm not contending that Roebuck is a poor coach by any means. It's just that he has some weaknesses, and they were exposed on that particular night, just as they were often exposed in games against NDSU when UND was favored, and recently in a few games against St. Cloud State. For example, have people noticed that when things start really going bad how they seem to continue to go that way until the end of the game? Such as when the Sioux have blown big leads, even at home? IMO, Roebuck simply doesn't possess that calming influence that a lot of great coaches have, and know when to use. He is much more apt to throw a tantrum, which doesn't exactly make the players play any less scared or tight. I thought for certain that the team would come out to start the second half with fire in their eyes and at some point at least make a run to cut the lead into single digits. It didn't happen. Quite the opposite, in fact. That disappointed me even more than that horrible last 10 minutes of the first half.

Without naming any names, I was told prior to the game by somebody who knows A LOT about basketball, and who was a great player at UND, that on paper the Sioux were 20 points better than Gulf Coast. I truly believe that. So people can draw their own conclusions about what caused that alleged 40 point swing.

I totally agree!!!! I too, am not questioning his knowledge, etc but the coach is the one person who can control who is playing and how long....sometimes a player has a bad night...no matter if it's the senior leader or the team high scorer, etc...sometimes they need to sit down and regroup or be reminded to follow the game plan...that didn't happen either....there advantage was speed...ours was our posts...they used their speed, we never used our posts. Kimbrough was 6-8 and only played 23 minutes..only 8 touches is not good...even if her defense is weak at times, she will usually score more than she gives up...Langen was 6-11, but had 8 offensive boards, so a lot of her shots came from her own hard work. I agree also that we need to work on some other defensive schemes, and not at the last minute....he does not like the zone, but sometimes you need some form of it even if it's part man part zone. Ashley and Kimbrough will have trouble with speedy guards as speedy guards would have trouble definding post players. The part I most agree with is the sideline antics....he is a great coach and he is passionate, but apathy and tantrums are never good...yes the players are accountable, but I question the players playing at times too...everyone's gonna have a tough night from time to time, who's in and who's out is the coaches call. Great season for the Ladies and Roebuck...definately not defined by the last game!!

You people are unbelievable. The man has won almost 90% of the games he's coached at this institution and won 3 national titles. No coach in the history of this school (in any sport) has been that good. If you watched the game, he changed his lineup several times; tried to go big, tried to go small, tried to get more athletic, etc. What happened? They got beat. Plain and simple. Langen and Kimbrough couldn't guard the posts from FGCU because they didn't post. They went to the perimeter and beat them off the dribble. He started Bergen in the second half to get quicker; what happened? She turned the ball over more than once when they were down 20. How can he keep her in the game. Guinn and Beck were awful all night. They threw the cross court pass away several times because FGCU switched down screens and apparently 2 kids who've been in the program for 3 years couldn't adjust. So, coach puts other kids in the game, no matter, they all threw the ball away. 26 turnovers people. 35 points of 26 turnovers for FGCU. That's the difference. Jahner goes 1-13 from the field; that's Roebucks fault? How? Jahner got beat on cuts to the basket from the backside several times that night. She is a 3 time defensive player of the year in the NCC and she couldn't guard anyone Wed. night. Again, not Roebucks fault.

This team all year struggled with guard play; they were inconsistent all year. Ashley and Kierah are what they are, big and true low post players. When they are both on the floor together, if one of them doesn't touch the ball every trip, it is a wasted trip. His guards have to get better, no doubt about it.

I hate to say this but NDSU women have found out the same thing over the last couple years. Area kids will NOT get it done at the DI level. The game is way to fast and there are not enough quality kids in this state anymore. Even next years recruits, LaFrance and Gillett, while they are great players in ND, who would either of them guarded on Wednesday night? Answer, no one. This game can fall at the hands of a lot of people but once the ball goes in the air, kids need to make plays that help their team, not hurt it. Wednesday was a bad night for the kids from the North.

You people are unbelievable. The man has won almost 90% of the games he's coached at this institution and won 3 national titles. No coach in the history of this school (in any sport) has been that good. If you watched the game, he changed his lineup several times; tried to go big, tried to go small, tried to get more athletic, etc. What happened? They got beat. Plain and simple. Langen and Kimbrough couldn't guard the posts from FGCU because they didn't post. They went to the perimeter and beat them off the dribble. He started Bergen in the second half to get quicker; what happened? She turned the ball over more than once when they were down 20. How can he keep her in the game. Guinn and Beck were awful all night. They threw the cross court pass away several times because FGCU switched down screens and apparently 2 kids who've been in the program for 3 years couldn't adjust. So, coach puts other kids in the game, no matter, they all threw the ball away. 26 turnovers people. 35 points of 26 turnovers for FGCU. That's the difference. Jahner goes 1-13 from the field; that's Roebucks fault? How? Jahner got beat on cuts to the basket from the backside several times that night. She is a 3 time defensive player of the year in the NCC and she couldn't guard anyone Wed. night. Again, not Roebucks fault.

This team all year struggled with guard play; they were inconsistent all year. Ashley and Kierah are what they are, big and true low post players. When they are both on the floor together, if one of them doesn't touch the ball every trip, it is a wasted trip. His guards have to get better, no doubt about it.

I hate to say this but NDSU women have found out the same thing over the last couple years. Area kids will NOT get it done at the DI level. The game is way to fast and there are not enough quality kids in this state anymore. Even next years recruits, LaFrance and Gillett, while they are great players in ND, who would either of them guarded on Wednesday night? Answer, no one. This game can fall at the hands of a lot of people but once the ball goes in the air, kids need to make plays that help their team, not hurt it. Wednesday was a bad night for the kids from the North.

What you say has some validity if one were to look at the last game in isolation. The thing is, my criticism is based not on one game, but rather on a trend in terms of how the team always seems to have a poor performance at the end of the year. True or false? When things start unraveling, they don't tend to get better. True or false? Is it really so sacreligious to point out some shortcomings that many, many people have noticed? I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings here, and I try not to criticize very often, but I'm not afraid to call things as I see them.

Let's face it - other than the Crouse years, the Sioux women's BB team has had a history of disappointing in the tournaments almost every year. They have almost never played their best ball at tournament time. Look at 2005 and 2006 for example. This seems to be a consistancy going back to the years when we competed with NDSU. I think Robuck is a great recruiter, but facts are facts.

SDSU's players are primarily from South Dakota and southern Minnesota. It can be done. When Minnesota went to the final four a few years ago, I don't believe they were the most athletic team around, either (not that I'm saying that the final four is ever going to be a realistic goal for a mid-major program). Assuming Roebuck retires within the next few years, I believe you need a coach who combines Roebuck's recruiting, and Ruley's ability as a bench coach. That's what SDSU apparently has right now.

If you ever want to get Amy Ruley fired up. Ask her how UND recruited Jenny Crouse or found out about her. That story always gets Amy fired up!!

As a coach and a game plan, if our Bigs were the reason UND was winning, why would UND not run more high low offense, isolation, and impose theri will from the tip?

In case anyone's interested:

Southern Conn. St. 61, Florida Gulf Coast 45. Final.

I guess Clayton State and Southern Conn. both saw from watching the Sioux game what not to do against Gulf Coast, as both teams completely held the Gulf Coast offense in check. Not a good day for undefeated teams in dII championship games.

I watched the Florida team on TV today . They had lots of turnovers and couldn't throw it in the ocean. They had lots of open looks and still couldn't make the shots. They missed many layups and easy put backs. They either had the game of their life against us or they were miserable today. I'm not sure which is accurate. It was obviously a tournament we could of won.

I watched the Florida team on TV today . They had lots of turnovers and couldn't throw it in the ocean. They had lots of open looks and still couldn't make the shots. They missed many layups and easy put backs. They either had the game of their life against us or they were miserable today. I'm not sure which is accurate. It was obviously a tournament we could of won.

IMO, Florida Gulf Coast clearly shot far better than normal against UND. I guess the question is, was it due more to just great shooting, or poor defense? Here's how Gulf Coast finished up the season:

FGCU 50, Valdosta St. 41

shot 36.8%

FGCU 57, Delta St. 44

shot 42.6%

FGCU 83, UND 64

shot 56.4%

FGCU 61, Clayton St. 57

shot 41.5%

FGCU 45, Central Conn. St. 61

shot 30.5%

It seems pretty clear which game was the aberration. However, I seem to recall a lot of wide open 3's, and easy layups. A lot of teams can make those if you give them up. I don't think I'll ever change my opinion that the manner in which the Sioux lost that game was inexcusable, particularly when you really look at how FGCU seemed to play against the other ranked teams they faced in the tournament.