SiouxSports.com Forum

USD and Augustana to DI highly likely

star2city

Augie could not get any type of assurance that they would get a conference invite within the next decade, even with a possibility of a new arena. The MidCon does not want three teams from South Dakota, as USD already has a firm gentleman's agreement from the MidCon, IMHO. (USD & SIUE are MidCon bound, UND is Big Sky bound.)

If Augie really wants a taste of DI, they should consider hockey in the CHA. With SDSU and USD needing major facility upgrades, Augie is the only SD school now that even conceivably could start a hockey program. Doubt that will happen though.

Alternate Theory: UND, USD, and Augie were all unable to get "gentleman's agreements" from any conference. Seeing this, UND held back for USD to assist with scheduling like SDSU and NDSU have done. USD similarly is planning on teaming up with UND, and simply hoping for league affiliation. Augi, seeing that league affiliation may be extremely difficult for any new move ups, and evaluating their financial situation going into indy status, declines to move up.

I'm curious, if UND already has this bid to Big Sky locked up, why is it that they waited an extra year to move up?

And how is it that USD already has a gentleman's agreement? Did the league presidents get together secretly and come to a consensus on USD 4-5 years in advance of their invitation, before knowing anything about the conference situation that they will be in? Just how far out do these conferences plan for members? Did the league know about Valpo moving years ahead of time? How long did Valpo have an agreement with the Horizon to move? 6 or 7 years ahead of time? Or do these invitations for affiliation only come years ahead of time for schools in the Dakota's? If USD is already in, why hasn't the mid-con made that clear? What benefit is there to keeping this in the dark for either party? The A-sun, sure doesn't seem to mind telling D-2's that they will take them if they move up, so why hasn't the mid-con done the same thing for USD if its such a sure bet?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious, if UND already has this bid to Big Sky locked up, why is it that they waited an extra year to move up?

And how is it that USD already has a gentleman's agreement? Did the league presidents get together secretly and come to a consensus on USD 4-5 years in advance of their invitation, before knowing anything about the conference situation that they will be in? Just how far out do these conferences plan for members? Did the league know about Valpo moving years ahead of time? How long did Valpo have an agreement with the Horizon to move? 6 or 7 years ahead of time? Or do these invitations for affiliation only come years ahead of time for schools in the Dakota's? If USD is already in, why hasn't the mid-con made that clear? What benefit is there to keeping this in the dark for either party? The A-sun, sure doesn't seem to mind telling D-2's that they will take them if they move up, so why hasn't the mid-con done the same thing for USD if its such a sure bet?

It just royally grates your nerves that USD is heading to the MidCOn, doesn't it? ;)

So now you are arguing that conferences don't have strategic plans beyond next month? :D

It just royally grates your nerves that USD is heading to the MidCOn, doesn't it? ;)

So now you are arguing that conferences don't have strategic plans beyond next month? :D

LOL. You say it like there's a single piece of evidence pointing towards that being true?

And you're assuming that 7 presidents have already made a consensus decision for something that is going to happen 5 years from now? The big sky was arguing about SDSU and NDSU for a year, and couldn't come to a consensus for adding them, but the mid-con has secretly come to a unanimous decision on USD being added in 5 years, without the slightest hint to the public. Because letting people know that USD had a home ready to go would be terrible for who again......

I am a little disappointed in you, your old conspiracy theories use to have something to stand on. This whole UND to the sky with a canadian school and USD to the mid-con with SIU-E hasn't even been thought of anywhere but in your mind. Do you have any evidence of this, or any reason why it would remain a secret? I'm sure USD would want to tell everybody about its invitation, and I don't know why the mid-con would want to hold out on something like that. Tell me why they would keep it a secret?

LOL. You say it like there's a single piece of evidence pointing towards that being true?

And you're assuming that 7 presidents have already made a consensus decision for something that is going to happen 5 years from now?

Actually, it will happen in about two years. :D

The big sky was arguing about SDSU and NDSU for a year, and couldn't come to a consensus for adding them,
If you hadn't heard, they did reach a consensus, and the answer was no, no, no. (Three times). ;)

but the mid-con has secretly come to a unanimous decision on USD being added in 5 years, without the slightest hint to the public. Because letting people know that USD had a home ready to go would be terrible for who again......
As USD's ICAC consultant said, don't move to DI unless you have a 90-95% certainty that a conference is awaiting you. Strangely enough, he says USD should move up. Wow, Aff, even you must have enough brain cells to figure that one out, considering all your USDSU / Illinois / Minnesota degrees. :D

I am a little disappointed in you, your old conspiracy theories use to have something to stand on. This whole UND to the sky with a canadian school and USD to the mid-con with SIU-E hasn't even been thought of anywhere but in your mind. Do you have any evidence of this, or any reason why it would remain a secret? I'm sure USD would want to tell everybody about its invitation, and I don't know why the mid-con would want to hold out on something like that. Tell me why they would keep it a secret?

Or, maybe Winona State, Bemidji State, C-SP, one other NSIC join the core NCC of SCSU, MSU-M, UMD, and Augie.

No reason for those teams to do it. Teams from the NSIC aren't at those fully funded levels yet, so why should they join in to the NCC? The left overs from the NCC will play by the NSIC rules or find somewhere else to play.

If you hadn't heard, they did reach a consensus, and the answer was no, no, no. (Three times). ;)

As USD's ICAC consultant said, don't move to DI unless you have a 90-95% certainty that a conference is awaiting you. Strangely enough, he says USD should move up. Wow, Aff, even you must have enough brain cells to figure that one out, considering all your USDSU / Illinois / Minnesota degrees. :D

Yeah, just like the consultant recommended that NDSU and SDSU not move up unless they had conference affiliation in hand. They still moved up, so I guess that means they had conference affiliation ready to go from the start? I mean surely a school wouldn't simply ignore the advice of a consultant....

Thats got to be the most ridiculous argument for USD having conference affiliation I have ever heard. And you still haven't answered my question, why would USD and the mid-con keep this a secret? What benefit is there in that?

Yeah, just like the consultant recommended that NDSU and SDSU not move up unless they had conference affiliation in hand. They still moved up, so I guess that means they had conference affiliation ready to go from the start? I mean surely a school wouldn't simply ignore the advice of a consultant....

Thats got to be the most ridiculous argument for USD having conference affiliation I have ever heard. And you still haven't answered my question, why would USD and the mid-con keep this a secret? What benefit is there in that?

Aff, you really can't be that slow can you? The Big SKy and MidCon prefer teams later in their DI transition. The conferences also want to protect themselves from the 5% chance that things will not go as planned.

Man.........I really gotta get some of your mushrooms for my pizzas........those are REALLY strong ones! ;)

It's the same mushrooms that said NDSU would never be in the Big SKy, that predicted the Great West formation, and said a more than a month ago that NDSU/SDSU to the Gateway is inevitable. Not bad mushrooms. :D

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/146345

Well, things are a bit clearer now.

Assuming USD goes DI, UNO goes MIAA, and Augi goes to the NSIC, the NCC will be down to Saint Cloud, Duluth, and Mankato, who all could go to the NSIC, I think.

That would put the NSIC at 14 members, though. Probably a bit much.

Perhaps Crookston and Mary will join a DII DAC conference in the future. Maybe Northern State as well.

And then U Sioux Falls could join the NSIC with Augi for a 12 member conferece:

Moorhead

Bemidji

Marshall

Winona

Saint Cloud

Mankato

Duluth

Augi

Sioux Falls

Concordia

Wayne

Upper Iowa

It's the same mushrooms that said NDSU would never be in the Big SKy, that predicted the Great West formation, and said a more than a month ago that NDSU/SDSU to the Gateway is inevitable. Not bad mushrooms. :D

The following I-AA football conference is just begging to happen:

NDSU

SDSU

UNColorado

SouthernUtah

Cal Poly-SLO

St. Mary's (Calif)

Cal-Davis

The likelihood of this football-only conference forming, in my opinion, is > 75%.

Some people are able to read between the lines better than others, while others believe geography was the reason. :D

And also the same mushrooms that predicted UNO to DI, UND would never go to a Western conference, a St. Thomas/UND combo to the Horizon, Denver to the BSC. The same mushrooms that said only a little over a year ago that there was a "strong probablity" that a combo of UND/SDSU/NDSU would be accepted into the BSC, UNO was in informal talks with the Gateway Conference, Minot St. and Dakota St. would be in the NSIC, the NCC would add a few NSIC schools, and UNO to the Mid-Con. So I think after tallying up all your "predictions" you're batting about .100. Even Minnie Mendoza wouldn't be proud of that.

And also the same mushrooms that predicted UNO to DI, UND would never go to a Western conference, a St. Thomas/UND combo to the Horizon, Denver to the BSC. The same mushrooms that said only a little over a year ago that there was a "strong probablity" that a combo of UND/SDSU/NDSU would be accepted into the BSC, UNO was in informal talks with the Gateway Conference, Minot St. and Dakota St. would be in the NSIC, the NCC would add a few NSIC schools, and UNO to the Mid-Con. So I think after tallying up all your "predictions" you're batting about .100. Even Minnie Mendoza wouldn't be proud of that.

Oh you forgot the best one - that UND will have a conference invite & money in hand before they announce they're moving up. ;)

Should Bison fans who said UND would never move up with Kupchella at the helm be critiquing others' predictions? :D

Now, somebody go find the numerous posts where I predicted UND would cause the dominos to fall something like, oh, I don't know, maybe this:

UND goes DI; USD (assumably) goes DI; UNO goes to MIAA; there's no conference left there to "merge".

I see the remnants (SCSU, MSU, UMD, Augie) going to the NSIC. "Number of FB scholarships" is an easier conversation than "we don't have a conference at all".

Should Bison fans who said UND would never move up with Kupchella at the helm be critiquing others' predictions? ;)

Well, since I don't think I ever said that, I feel I may be critical of any poster I want. :D

Also, it could be argued that the SU's, or even UNC, started the domino effect.

Aff, you really can't be that slow can you? The Big SKy and MidCon prefer teams later in their DI transition. The conferences also want to protect themselves from the 5% chance that things will not go as planned.

What? You just said two posts above this one that USD will be in a conference "in two years". That wouldn't be toward the end of their transition would it? At least stay consistent in your fantasies here.

See, right there?

What? You just said two posts above this one that USD will be in a conference "in two years". That wouldn't be toward the end of their transition would it? At least stay consistent in your fantasies here.

Aff: Even you can understand that there is at least an 12-18 month time delay between accepting a conference bid and actually participating in one. USD (and SIU-Edwardsville) will receive a MidCOn bid early in its transition and join the conference in the middle of its transition. Mark it down.

Aff: Even you can understand that there is at least an 12-18 month time delay between accepting a conference bid and actually participating in one. USD (SIU-Edwardsville) will receive a MidCOn bid early in its transition and join the conference in the middle of its transition. Mark it down.

In the other post you said:

And now you are saying that USD will get in early in their transition? PICK ONE OUT. One of these days I'm going to get you to admit your just making this crap up as you go. Obviously not here, as you've back tracked twice in two posts now, but someday soon. Write it down.

Don't worry, I'll write your little note down right next to my note about Denver, UND and NDSU getting in the sky.