SiouxSports.com Forum

USD and Augustana to DI highly likely

star2city

Mark this down: UND and USD to the mid con as travel partners.

LOL. I don't know why, but reading posts from you just makes me laugh. Normally someone constantly saying something stupid would piss me off, but you're determination to get UND and USD into the mid-con no matter what, through the powerful tool of the internet message board, is pretty funny. I'm not even mocking you, it seriously just makes me laugh reading your comments.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also the same mushrooms that predicted UNO to DI, UND would never go to a Western conference, a St. Thomas/UND combo to the Horizon, Denver to the BSC. The same mushrooms that said only a little over a year ago that there was a "strong probablity" that a combo of UND/SDSU/NDSU would be accepted into the BSC, UNO was in informal talks with the Gateway Conference, Minot St. and Dakota St. would be in the NSIC, the NCC would add a few NSIC schools, and UNO to the Mid-Con. So I think after tallying up all your "predictions" you're batting about .100. Even Minnie Mendoza wouldn't be proud of that.

Am genuinely honored that you remember my postings so well. ;) Seems it finally has dawned on certain Bison fans that there will never, for the forseeable future, be NDSU/MSU or NDSU/Montana games in Fargo.

As far as your points, there is a difference between strategy/speculation and actual predictions. Never predicted a St. Thomas/UND or UND/UMD combo to the Horizon would actually occur, but still stand by the statement that such an strategy is probably the only way UND could ever get in the Horizon.

UNO, if it hadn't had corrupt leadership spending the athletic budget on $1000 per plate dinner parties and bungled its hockey promotions, would have been a strong DI candidate with plenty of interest from the MidCOn and Gateway. There was a reason the UNO AD left when he did, and only a year later did the truth come out.

On predictions: Denver going to the BSC is going to happen, but I was premature. Minot St in the NSIC is going to happen.

Where I did mess up was believing that the Big Sky felt it necessary to have an eastern wing of multiple schools and move up to twelve members. A 10/9 (basketball/football) alignment is what the BSC wants, and UND will be a part of that.

In all honesty, I underestimated UND's business appeal, with its assets of the FSSN and REA.

Just to repeat again: UND leadership has 90 - 95 % confidence that a conference bid is forthcoming - that conference is the Big Sky, IMHO.

NDSU and SDSU never had any such assurances before their moves. Why else was Gene Taylor so emotional when they finally got a bid? The whole transition was a traumatic experience for him because there was no confidence anything would happen. Congrats to them for it working out. UND's conference "search" will not be comparable.

Am genuinely honored that you remember my postings so well. ;) Seems it finally has dawned on certain Bison fans that there will never, for the forseeable future, be NDSU/MSU or NDSU/Montana games in Fargo.

As far as your points, there is a difference between strategy/speculation and actual predictions. Never predicted a St. Thomas/UND or UND/UMD combo to the Horizon would actually occur, but still stand by the statement that such an strategy is probably the only way UND could ever get in the Horizon.

UNO, if it hadn't had corrupt leadership spending the athletic budget on $1000 per plate dinner parties and bungled its hockey promotions, would have been a strong DI candidate with plenty of interest from the MidCOn and Gateway. There was a reason the UNO AD left when he did, and only a year later did the truth come out.

On predictions: Denver going to the BSC is going to happen, but I was premature. Minot St in the NSIC is going to happen.

Where I did mess up was believing that the Big Sky felt it necessary to have an eastern wing of multiple schools and move up to twelve members. A 10/9 (basketball/football) alignment is what the BSC wants, and UND will be a part of that.

In all honesty, I underestimated UND's business appeal, with its assets of the FSSN and REA.

Just to repeat again: UND leadership has 90 - 95 % confidence that a conference bid is forthcoming - that conference is the Big Sky, IMHO.

NDSU and SDSU never had any such assurances before their moves. Why else was Gene Taylor so emotional when they finally got a bid? The whole transition was a traumatic experience for him because there was no confidence anything would happen. Congrats to them for it working out. UND's conference "search" will not be comparable.

Good stuff. Not only is some of this far fetched, you're belittleing people because they think you're crazy.

Oh you forgot the best one - that UND will have a conference invite & money in hand before they announce they're moving up. :D
Bison Dan: He who laughs last laughs hardest. ;)

Good stuff. Not only is some of this far fetched, you're belittleing people because they think you're crazy.

Strange how all the doubters are SDSU or NDSU backers who belittle these prognostications out of fear. :D

So all the presidents of the BSC secretly got together and told UND that they're in if they go DI? With no travel partner! Just UND all by it's lonesome, way out here. :D

I am not sure Minot will go to the NSIC......The NSIC can only take so many teams, and with the NCC collapsing there are probably only 2 teams that will get in.......Maybe the rest will go to a reformulated and much weaker NCC........that will be pretty interesting to watch........

This is what I was thinking:

DAC 10 -

Minot St

Dickinson St

Mayville St

Valley City St

Mary

Jamestown

Dakota State

Black Hills State

SD Tech

Northern State

NSIC -

Saint Cloud

Mankato

Winona

Moorhead

Bimidji

SW St

Concordia

Wayne

Upper Iowa

Augi

Sioux Falls

Duluth

Crookston goes DIII and joins Morris in the UMAC.

Both the DAC and the NSIC would be DII. Perhaps the DAC would be DII-AA for football and the NSIC DII-A, assuming they split the division like that.

As USD's ICAC consultant said, don't move to DI unless you have a 90-95% certainty that a conference is awaiting you. Strangely enough, he says USD should move up.

The way I see it, USD is being forced to move up by UND leaving and the collapse of the NCC. They really have no choice. Staying DII with a crumbling NCC and merging into the NSIC is simply not an option for USD. Regardless of what the consultant said, it seems to me that you can't assume USD has conference affiliation nearly locked up based solely on their decision to move up.

To a lesser extent, I feel the same about UND. How long was staying in DII really an option for UND? It may have simply gotten to the point that moving up even without a conference lined-up was a better option than languishing in a deteriorating DII.

The way I see it, USD is being forced to move up by UND leaving and the collapse of the NCC. They really have no choice. Staying DII with a crumbling NCC and merging into the NSIC is simply not an option for USD. Regardless of what the consultant said, it seems to me that you can't assume USD has conference affiliation nearly locked up based solely on their decision to move up.

To a lesser extent, I feel the same about UND. How long was staying in DII really an option for UND? It may have simply gotten to the point that moving up even without a conference lined-up was a better option than languishing in a deteriorating DII.

Thank you for the refreshing common sense.

So all the presidents of the BSC secretly got together and told UND that they're in if they go DI? With no travel partner! Just UND all by it's lonesome, way out here. ;)
When Sac State leaves, the dominoes will start falling. UND will have the necessary votes and will get in the BSC.

As a poster, my writings have been out there to the typical conventional mob rule "wisdom" poster. Over the years, with my insistance that the NDSU/SDSU combo was never going to get in the BSC, I was described as a "most hateful person" towards NDSU by numerous NDSU posters on a number of boards, even on ones that I did not frequent or ever post at. In the end, my logic was correct, even with all the board peer pressure and antagonism. UND to the BSC and USD/SIUE to the MidCOn will again prove the correct prediction (with 90-95% certainty).

When Sac State leaves, the dominoes will start falling. UND will have the necessary votes and will get in the BSC.

As a poster, my writings have been out there to the typical conventional mob rule "wisdom" poster. Over the years, with my insistance that the NDSU/SDSU combo was never going to get in the BSC, I was described as a "most hateful person" towards NDSU by numerous NDSU posters on a number of boards, even on ones that I did not frequent or ever post at. In the end, my logic was correct, even with all the board peer pressure and antagonism. UND to the BSC and USD/SIUE to the MidCOn will again prove the correct prediction (with 90-95% certainty).

Its funny how many incorrect predictions you forget about when talking about yourself.

You seem to be admitting that UND will not have the votes until Sac State leaves the Big Sky. Isn't that pretty much the same situation that NDSU and SDSU faced?

I would never call you hateful......just full of s&!t like the rest of us........ :huh:

This is what I was thinking:

DAC 10 -

Minot St

Dickinson St

Mayville St

Valley City St

Mary

Jamestown

Dakota State

Black Hills State

SD Tech

Northern State

NSIC -

Saint Cloud

Mankato

Winona

Moorhead

Bimidji

SW St

Concordia

Wayne

Upper Iowa

Augi

Sioux Falls

Duluth

Crookston goes DIII and joins Morris in the UMAC.

Both the DAC and the NSIC would be DII. Perhaps the DAC would be DII-AA for football and the NSIC DII-A, assuming they split the division like that.

Not if UMC's AD Steph Helgeson has anything to say about it. Link.

Over the years last couple months, with my insistance that the NDSU/SDSU combo was never going to get in the BSC, I was described as a "most hateful person" towards NDSU by numerous NDSU posters on a number of boards, even on ones that I did not frequent or ever post at. In the end, my logic was correct, even with all the board peer pressure and antagonism. UND to the BSC and USD/SIUE to the MidCOn will again prove the correct prediction (with 90-95% certainty).

Fixed your post.

With Augustana officially looking to the NSIC, I'd look for UNO to officially announce that they either intend to or have applied to the MIAA before this school year is over.

Southwest Baptist University football Bearcats might go independent

The MIAA Conference comprises nine games of that 11-game schedule for SBU. That number could go to 10 conference contests and a bye week if the University of Nebraska-Omaha should join the MIAA in the next year or so, as is a distinct possibility.

"The MIAA Conference is now looking into adding Nebraska-Omaha as the 11th member of the MIAA," said C. Pat Taylor, SBU president. "It's probably going to happen, but there is one item which must be worked out before that becomes a reality.

"Omaha is NCAA Division I in ice hockey. It does not want to lose that designation, but the MIAA Conference bylaws at present state that all members must remain in the conference and Division II in all sports."

If the MIAA were to admit Nebraska-Omaha and allow the school to remain Division I in ice hockey, that could open up a door for SBU to remain in the MIAA in all sports but one - football.

Strange how all the doubters are SDSU or NDSU backers who belittle these prognostications out of fear. ;)

Fear of what?

Some of your predictions that came true were a good use of logic. GWFC and MidCon predictions were on other boards too. If UND gets into the BSC, good for them because you'll need it. You have 1 more school voting in your favor than the SU's did. Your logic for the UND/USD prediction is clouded with wild assumptions that you can't prove, and your forgetting other facts. -90-95% certainty

When both SU's were shopping themselves out, they seemed to want a package deal didn't they? ;)

I don't remember UND calling USD and trying to make a pact. :huh:

Maybe UND is trying to show they have the means and are a player w/o USD? :D

Too bad about Augustana. ;) IMHO, they probably will fall off the map like Morningside. :(

When both SU's were shopping themselves out, they seemed to want a package deal didn't they? ;)

I don't remember UND calling USD and trying to make a pact. :huh:

Maybe UND is trying to show they have the means and are a player w/o USD? :D

Too bad about Augustana. ;) IMHO, they probably will fall off the map like Morningside. :(

UND may have done just what you said, and evaluated USD as a hinderance more than a help.

But remember, neither school has even started the transition yet, so there is still plenty of time for them to team up.

You know, I promised myself I wasn't going to respond to star's comments about his unerring accuracy but...

What is the title of this thread?

Who posted it?

Did it come true?

In all fairness to star2city...I believe the post title was based on a Sioux City Journal article and more specifically this paragraph...

Don't be shocked or surprised in December when the University of South Dakota and Augustana announce they'll leave the North Central Conference and upgrade their current NCAA Division II status to Division I in all sports except football, where the Coyotes will play at the I-AA level and Augie at the non-scholarship I-AA level (like Drake).

I assume that you will also be contacting Steven Allspach (712-293-4207 or e-mail at steven.allspach@lee.net) and informing him of his "unerring accuracy".

• 2 weeks later...