SiouxSports.com Forum

USD and Augustana to DI highly likely

star2city

SD Regent Decision On USD DI Move Expected Next Week

While SDSU had considerable difficulty with the SD Board of Regents in their move up, this hearing is just a rubber stamp for USD, IMHO.

VERMILLION -- The University of South Dakota should learn next week whether the South Dakota Board of Regents will allow the Coyotes to move up to Division I-AA in football and Division I in all other sports, according to a Regents official.

While the regents won't make a decision Monday, Division I discussion has been placed on the agenda of the Dec. 13-14 board meeting in Rapid City, said Regents executive director Tad Perry. The USD request needs five votes on the nine-member board for passage, he said.

Couple of other new items:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Businesses hope SIUE will upgrade sports

SIU-Edwardsville's proposed DI move gains some traction in the St. Louis media. With SIUE being part of metro St. Louis, and St. Louis being nearly the exact center of the MidCon Conference, SIUE /St Louis could very likely become the permanent MidCon tournament host next decade.

Utah Valley State adding football?

AD Jacobsen: In fact, this year our student fee for athletics is the largest in the state of Utah. It even goes up again next year, and it's going to be larger than what the major universities in the state already have. I know our students last year voted to where we are putting some money away right now for what we are referring to as a conference affiliation fee that can help us get into the conference. The base of that was for football and, yeah, I think that our students are very much in support of it.

We are putting this conference affiliation fee away and after a five-year period of time, it will give us a million and a half dollars. Now even though that might be what you could play football with today, in five years you maybe couldn't play for that. Our thought was, that most of the conferences that are expanding are looking for football schools. And if someone was interested in us and we were playing football then that would kind of expedite the process to starting football.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With BYU literally right next door and Utah, Weber State, Utah State, and Idaho State in the general area, I don't see why UVSC would add football.

SIUE is interesting. I'd rather they become independant of SIU, perhaps the University of Edwardsville.

The U of OKC moving up would be another interesting addition.

• 4 weeks later...

This may have been posted elsewhere and I missed it.

Calling all conferences, UVSC looks to the future

If there is one thing Jacobsen always finds time to do, it is to get UVSC in a conference.

"I literally work on it every single day one way or another. Making a phone call or keeping networked with some of the ADs and the conference commissioners so that they know about us, that we're still out there and looking for something," Jacobsen said. "Some of the visits I have planned to travel with some of my teams will take me to places to places in the Big West. It's just developing relationships so when the opportunity comes, we're already kind of up on it."

Interesting ..

Big Sky

Current members: Nothern Arizona, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Weber State, Eastern Washington, Portland State and Sacramento State

Pros: Location. Most schools in the Rocky Mountain area. Could begin a rivalry with Weber State. The conference plays Division II football. Could immediately be competitiveCons: UVSC doesn't have a football program. Exposure

I hope that he wasn't quoting Jacobson on this one.

The #1 Sports Story in South Dakota: USD takes plunge, enters Division I

In addition to fund-raising chores, Abbott and Nielsen must focus on finding a suitable conference for their teams. A quick fix for football in the Great West is possible, but the Mid-Con is a different animal.

The Coyotes will need to move further along in their transition to be considered, but they will be considered.

Anyone who thinks Nielsen didn't have back-door dealings with Douple during USD's Division I research is hopelessly naive.

Finally, a sportswriter who understands and agrees with me. USD already has a gentleman's agreement to enter the MidCon: a couple more years and it will happen.

Just as UND becomes attractive to the Mid-Con because of its traditional and geographic ties to NDSU, the Jackrabbits are intrinsically linked to the Coyotes - whether they like it or not.
UND may very well be attractive to the MidCon, but when Sac St moves on from the Big Sky, there will be another option.

For SDSU fans who tout their new-era rivalry with NDSU, listen closely: The Bison will drop you like a hot brick as soon as the Sioux are compliant.

And stop making it sound like it's so hard to get into the Mid-Con. With members such as Centenary, Missouri-Kansas City and Southern Utah, the conference is merely a collection of misfits seeking to earn their Division I stripes.

No one is denying that SDSU deserves credit for seeing the future clearly and setting the stage for South Dakota's brave new world of college athletics.

But this haughty attitude toward USD's decision is not good for the state.

If you can find a way to revive a century-old rivalry and stay focused on your Division I destiny, what exactly is the problem?

Anyone want to bet that "non-SDSU fans" like Aff will be descending down and slamming the Argus-Leader writer? :silly:

Finally, a sportswriter who understands and agrees with me. USD already has a gentleman's agreement to enter the MidCon: a couple more years and it will happen.

UND may very well be attractive to the MidCon, but when Sac St moves on from the Big Sky, there will be another option.

Anyone want to bet that "non-SDSU fans" like Aff will be descending down and slamming the Argus-Leader writer? :silly:

star2city always thinks that anyone that agrees with him means his theories are right. :sad:

The times won't line up.

Sac State is going to move to FBS, but it won't be for 10 years. UND will long be in the Mid Con and probably whatever football conference NDSU is in by that time.

Anyone want to bet that "non-SDSU fans" like Aff will be descending down and slamming the Argus-Leader writer? :lol:

My money is on 89Rabbit beating him to the punch.

That could be, but more simply put, this is logic not attitude and clouded vision that many others have.

The article is right on and is reality put plain and simple.

The article is pure speculation and Douple has watched how USD and UND responded to NDSU and SDSU move to DI. He wasn't very impressed with both schools. Douple is a stand up guy and a good friend of Gene Taylor, I doubt that he was meeting in secret with USD.

This article is more on than you think. And don't be suprised if the Bison are the ones helping to facilitate USD & UND getting into the MidCon, rather than any backdoor deals going on.

Here is what I have heard around Vermillion and the USD Community:

NDSU has never had an issue with USD, in fact, they like and support us, and our Athl Depts get along pretty well.

The NDSU administration also will support UND getting in. They know that the people of the state of ND won't stand very long for the two schools not competing against each other once UND hits D1. And any "revenge" actions by NDSU towards UND would be bad PR (people around the state won't like it too well, rivals is one thing, being in a position of power and hurting another state institution, another). The fans won't like it, but the fans don't call the shots and the administration will do what is necessary to avoid any problems at the state level.

SDSU does not like USD, we won't get any cooperation from them, they will not oppose our MidCon conference bid, but they won't support it either. Much bad blood there. Not really a problem since we have the support of NDSU in this area, which, most will admit, carries more weight than the Jacks.

The MidCon is excited about the possibility of having the 4 Dakota schools anchor their conference for many years to come. Stop the revolvong door stuff. They noticed how long we all existed in the same conference together and like that we have built in rivalries to bring to the conference.

I pointed out that NDSU probably likes us so much because we were 4-16 over the last 20 years against them in football :lol: .

Again, this is just what I have heard and do not have any evidence to confirm this.

Personally, I tend to believe it. There are just two many positives to the 4 Dakotas hooking up in the same conference again. Those positives outway all the ugly stuff that has gone on over the past few years.

This article is more on than you think. And don't be suprised if the Bison are the ones helping to facilitate USD & UND getting into the MidCon, rather than any backdoor deals going on.

Here is what I have heard around Vermillion and the USD Community:

NDSU has never had an issue with USD, in fact, they like and support us, and our Athl Depts get along pretty well.

The NDSU administration also will support UND getting in. They know that the people of the state of ND won't stand very long for the two schools not competing against each other once UND hits D1. And any "revenge" actions by NDSU towards UND would be bad PR (people around the state won't like it too well, rivals is one thing, being in a position of power and hurting another state institution, another). The fans won't like it, but the fans don't call the shots and the administration will do what is necessary to avoid any problems at the state level.

SDSU does not like USD, we won't get any cooperation from them, they will not oppose our MidCon conference bid, but they won't support it either. Much bad blood there. Not really a problem since we have the support of NDSU in this area, which, most will admit, carries more weight than the Jacks.

The MidCon is excited about the possibility of having the 4 Dakota schools anchor their conference for many years to come. Stop the revolvong door stuff. They noticed how long we all existed in the same conference together and like that we have built in rivalries to bring to the conference.

I pointed out that NDSU probably likes us so much because we were 4-16 over the last 20 years against them in football :lol: .

Again, this is just what I have heard and do not have any evidence to confirm this.

Personally, I tend to believe it. There are just two many positives to the 4 Dakotas hooking up in the same conference again. Those positives outway all the ugly stuff that has gone on over the past few years.

Sorry, but there's no way that NDSU doesn't have a problem with UND. If anything there's more bad blood between UND and NDSU than SDSU and USD. I don't know who your source is, but I highly doubt they have any information on whether or not SDSU will oppose USD's bid for the mid cont or support it, especially because SDSU has had a new president for three days now. That would be one amazing source to know what Chicoine's feelings about the situation are already.

I would take any "information" with a grain of salt. Abbot and Neilson are the only guys who actually know what is going on down there, and I doubt even they know everything that you claimed in this post.

Anyone want to bet that "non-SDSU fans" like Aff will be descending down and slamming the Argus-Leader writer? :lol:

Are you crazy? Even in his article he uses the words "considered for admission in a couple of years". He NEVER said "USD already has a gentleman's agreement to gain admission to the mid-con". Its easy to see how you can come up with these theories glossing over "little" details like that. My God, he said that Nielson has probably contacted Douple about joining the conference, is that a shock? I bet that Oien and Taylor both did the same thing during this period of moving up. That doesn't mean that they are already in the conference.

Seriously, how would a "gentlemen's agreement" actually work? Douple is going to promise that he'll make University Presidents vote for admission, no matter what the current situation is, in three years? How could Douple possibly promise that USD or UND will be admitted without a presidents vote? He works FOR the presidents, he isn't IN CHARGE of them, and he has no real power over them.

A "Gentlemen's agreement" is part of your wild conspiracy theories. There really is no doubt that Nielson, and probably UND's athletic director have both had "back door" dealings with Douple, meaning they have contacted him about the possibility of admission to the conference, which WOULD BE THEIR JOB. That doesn't mean that anybody has been promised admission, doesn't mean they will never gain admission, doesn't mean that douple is some sort of dark underlord that rules over 10 institutions of higher learning and can bend them to his will whenever he pleases, and doesn't mean any conspiracy theory is true.

Aff, you did not read what I typed.

I never said UND and NDSU get along. I stated the reason why NDSU would support UND, becuase of the pressure from the rest of the state.

I never said SDSU would oppose USD. I said they are doing nothing, for or against. Just nothing. They really don't care what USD does. We are a nonfactor to them and don't exist, like we've been disowned.

NDSU does support USD, from what I heard.

Of course the other schools pres's will need to vote on this, but having advocates like the conference commish and the infuence of a president (NDSU) who pushes for it doesn't hurt.

Aff, you did not read what I typed.

I never said UND and NDSU get along. I stated the reason why NDSU would support UND, becuase of the pressure from the rest of the state.

I never said SDSU would oppose USD. I said they are doing nothing, for or against. Just nothing. They really don't care what USD does. We are a nonfactor to them and don't exist, like we've been disowned.

NDSU does support USD, from what I heard.

Of course the other schools pres's will need to vote on this, but having advocates like the conference commish and the infuence of a president (NDSU) who pushes for it doesn't hurt.

I read what you wrote, it just doesn't make sense. Why would PR pressure force NDSU to support UND, but not force SDSU to support USD the same way? And tell me why NDSU would care either way for USD? There's no benefit for them either way for USD, so whats the point of being supportive for USD? What has USD done lately to help NDSU out during the transition? And the most important question, how would anybody know any of this information literally 4-5 years before the possibility of a vote on USD has even come up? USD is three years away from playing a D-I schedule, and your telling me that your source already knows what both SDSU and NDSU, along with the conference commissioner think about USD's bid to the mid-con? NDSU may not even have the same president by then, and SDSU's president hasn't even been in place for a full week! Nobody on this planet knows all of the information you have posted above. Chicoine at SDSU may think that having USD in the same conference as SDSU is a great idea, and may support it, and he may not. I doubt he's even considered that, but you're telling me that your source already knows what he's going to do? Come on, these are just rumors you're hearing, nobody knows the stuff you're claiming as true on here.

I read what you wrote, it just doesn't make sense. Why would PR pressure force NDSU to support UND, but not force SDSU to support USD the same way? And tell me why NDSU would care either way for USD? There's no benefit for them either way for USD, so whats the point of being supportive for USD? What has USD done lately to help NDSU out during the transition? And the most important question, how would anybody know any of this information literally 4-5 years before the possibility of a vote on USD has even come up? USD is three years away from playing a D-I schedule, and your telling me that your source already knows what both SDSU and NDSU, along with the conference commissioner think about USD's bid to the mid-con? NDSU may not even have the same president by then, and SDSU's president hasn't even been in place for a full week! Nobody on this planet knows all of the information you have posted above. Chicoine at SDSU may think that having USD in the same conference as SDSU is a great idea, and may support it, and he may not. I doubt he's even considered that, but you're telling me that your source already knows what he's going to do? Come on, these are just rumors you're hearing, nobody knows the stuff you're claiming as true on here.

Never say never aff. :)

Almost every day I drive by a D1 hockey arena that rivals some NHL arena's. :lol:

This same arena was but a rumor..... :)

I agree 100% - actually fear is driving all this speculation. Fear of knowing that both schools (UND & USD) have come to the DI move late and all the conferences are full. Unless the Mid-Con loses some more members I highly doubt that they expand. With NDSU & SDSU being invited to the Gateway Conference spring meetings Feb 19 it looks good for their invite to the Gateway.

I agree 100% - actually fear is driving all this speculation. Fear of knowing that both schools (UND & USD) have come to the DI move late and all the conferences are full. Unless the Mid-Con loses some more members I highly doubt that they expand. With NDSU & SDSU being invited to the Gateway Conference spring meetings Feb 19 it looks good for their invite to the Gateway.

While agree that it looks promising for both SDSU and NDSU in the Gateway, I don't think fear is driving speculation. Think back a few years and recall what Bisonville was like when NDSU had announced the move to Division I. I'm sure that there were all kinds of rumors flying around about conferences, especially about the Big Sky. That wasn't fear driven. It was hope and dreams and yes, probably some people just making stuff up to sound good. Good luck to the SU's at the Gateway meeting. UND is just starting the process and the landscape will change several more times in the next couple of years, so I don't believe fear is warranted.

I'll just post things as I hear them. Which, I only post when I hear something of value, and report it. I didn't just pull this out of the air. This is what I have heard from people who, quite frankly, would know what is going on behind the scenes. What I mean by that is who is having conversations with who. And what would you know, the same things I hear from independant sources show up in a news article weeks later. What are the odds?

Will USD be transitioned in tomorrow? NO. I never put a time table on these things, you did. These things probably won't happen for 3-4-5 years. Point is that the conversations are taking place.

There is not fear in Vermtown, right now there is excitement and optimism...and thanks that we are not going to be stuck in the same predicament as the MN schools. All the former NCC schools face challenges, just some challenges have better returns at the end of the rainbow than others.

And tell me why NDSU would care either way for USD?

I don't know. Maybe because they were in a conference together for 80 years. Maybe because there is history between the two schools and their athl depts. Maybe they get along fairly well and there is no animosity between the two.

I'll just post things as I hear them. Which, I only post when I hear something of value, and report it. I didn't just pull this out of the air. This is what I have heard from people who, quite frankly, would know what is going on behind the scenes. What I mean by that is who is having conversations with who. And what would you know, the same things I hear from independant sources show up in a news article weeks later. What are the odds?

Will USD be transitioned in tomorrow? NO. I never put a time table on these things, you did. These things probably won't happen for 3-4-5 years. Point is that the conversations are taking place.

There is not fear in Vermtown, right now there is excitement and optimism...and thanks that we are not going to be stuck in the same predicament as the MN schools. All the former NCC schools face challenges, just some challenges have better returns at the end of the rainbow than others.

I don't know. Maybe because they were in a conference together for 80 years. Maybe because there is history between the two schools and their athl depts. Maybe they get along fairly well and there is no animosity between the two.

Sorry, I don't know who you're sources are, but unless its David Chicoine, they don't know how SDSU feels about any of this, and they are either reporting peggy millers feelings, or they are making it up. I'll leave it at that.

And if there is such a sparkling relationship between NDSU and USD, why haven't I seen USD appearing on any NDSU schedules since they moved up? That first year I'm sure they could have used the game in any sport......

While agree that it looks promising for both SDSU and NDSU in the Gateway, I don't think fear is driving speculation. Think back a few years and recall what Bisonville was like when NDSU had announced the move to Division I. I'm sure that there were all kinds of rumors flying around about conferences, especially about the Big Sky. That wasn't fear driven. It was hope and dreams and yes, probably some people just making stuff up to sound good. Good luck to the SU's at the Gateway meeting. UND is just starting the process and the landscape will change several more times in the next couple of years, so I don't believe fear is warranted.

Thats all I was trying to say. I'm not saying that UND/USD are never going to be admitted, I'm saying if they are, it isn't going to happen in the manner being described here, and pretty much everything being discussed comes down to wild rumors.

The last talk I had with an official at NDSU, he said that at the NCC meetings when NDSU & SDSU proposed the conference move up Mr. Abbott from USD was very rude to both presidents and AD's. So unless he has repaired the damage (which I doubt) from NDSUs viewpoint I don't think they want anything to do with USD.

The last talk I had with an official at NDSU, he said that at the NCC meetings when NDSU & SDSU proposed the conference move up Mr. Abbott from USD was very rude to both presidents and AD's. So unless he has repaired the damage (which I doubt) from NDSUs viewpoint I don't think they want anything to do with USD.

Everything that I've ever heard is that USD was supportive of the NCC moving up as a conference to DI but only if it was as a whole conference. I have never heard anything close to the scenario you propose.