SiouxSports.com Forum

Goalie

dj_hoime

I've grown up in Grand Forks my whole life and played hockey with many of the Lamoureux boys. Phil is a very solid goaltender who just hasn't had a shot to play for the Sioux. People also have to remember that Jordan Parise is one of the best goaltenders in Fighting Sioux hockey history and it will be a tough act to follow. Phil was unbelievable when he played for Grand Forks Central and was one of the top three goalies in the USHL when he played in Lincoln. He will keep the Sioux in every game that they need to be in. Last season he had a fairly decent GAA but in games when he would give up one or two goals, the Sioux would lose 1-0, 2-1, etc. I expect a very good season out of Phil and the rest of the Sioux.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've grown up in Grand Forks my whole life and played hockey with many of the Lamoureux boys. Phil is a very solid goaltender who just hasn't had a shot to play for the Sioux. People also have to remember that Jordan Parise is one of the best goaltenders in Fighting Sioux hockey history and it will be a tough act to follow. Phil was unbelievable when he played for Grand Forks Central and was one of the top three goalies in the USHL when he played in Lincoln. He will keep the Sioux in every game that they need to be in. Last season he had a fairly decent GAA but in games when he would give up one or two goals, the Sioux would lose 1-0, 2-1, etc. I expect a very good season out of Phil and the rest of the Sioux.

While Phil isn't Jorday he isn't Briggs either (he is better). I think Phil will do a great job this season, however, I think the team needs to get going and score for him.

I have often been ridiculed but I feel the exact same way. When he's hot there is no one else I would rather have in net, hopefully the streakiness goes away, and the consistency shows with more confidence in being the number 1 guy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

I hate to break it to you, but phil is more fundamentally sound than jordan parise is. I am not saying that phil is a better goalie but if you noticed, parise put himself in situations where he would have to make an outstanding save several times in each game last year which is a direct result of him being out of position in most cases. When phil has the chance to be the main guy and gets to play every game he will put himself up with UND's elite goaltenders as far as save% and goals agaisnt average. UND is in good hands with Phil as their stater.

I didn't think it was the defense that was a problem in front of him, it was the offense. It seemed to me like he'd give up 1 or 2 goals and the guys would only score 0 or 1 so he'd have a fabulously played loss.

I agree with this entirely. If Phil wasn't solid in net, his GAA and Save% would definitely reflect that. Yeah, his W/L record isn't very good, but neither was the offense when he played. I wish I saved that post but someone on SS.com calculated the Average Goals Scored per game that the Sioux scored with Phil in net and it was around 2.0. Does anyone have that number handy? In any case, if any team with ANY goaltender in DI scores 2 goals or less a game, it's going to be VERY difficult for that team to win a majority of their games.

Goon gave a good example with Wisconsin. Last year, they didn't give up many goals. This year, what it is going to come down to is the first goal. We HAVE to get on the board early and we have to score AT LEAST 3 goals a game to support Phil and the D. In games against top defensive teams (like UW last season) the first goal could mean the difference between a win or a loss.

I'm getting real tired of people questioning Phil's ability. He has had maybe 2 bad games that I can think of. He has played very good but hasn't gotten consistent puck support. The streakiness has more to do with the team in front of him than with him. The last 2 years we've had trouble scoring consistently and it just happened to be when Phil was in net. Here's some examples.

11/12/04 1 goal on 36 shots 97.2%

01/14/05 2 goals on 30 shots 93.3%

01/15/05 1 goal on 14 shots 92.9%

03/18/05 2 goals on 32 shots 93.8%

12/29/05 1 goal on 21 shots 95.2%

01/27/06 2 goals on 25 shots 92%

six games, six losses, 94.03 save %, 9 goals against roughly 1.5 GAA

There should be no way in he** for a goalie to put up those kind of numbers and lose.

I'm the first to admit that I am not as plugged in as many on this board, but up to this point of the thread nobody has even mentioned Walski. I'm not a particular Walski fan nor do I know much about him other than this is his second year with the team, so wouldn't that at least cause him to get a little more chatter on this board or maybe is that the problem, he has a year under his belt and he isn't up to the #2 spot. I just find it weird that everybody is simply handing the backup role to the newcomer Grieco even even though dedicated SS.com posters even have trouble finding info on?

Just curious.

Goon gave a good example with Wisconsin. Last year, they didn't give up many goals. This year, what it is going to come down to is the first goal. We HAVE to get on the board early and we have to score AT LEAST 3 goals a game to support Phil and the D. In games against top defensive teams (like UW last season) the first goal could mean the difference between a win or a loss.

I think coming out of the gate and swarming the oppostion's net and setting the tone in the first period is going to paramount in winning games especially against the top defensive teams in the league.

I'm getting real tired of people questioning Phil's ability. He has had maybe 2 bad games that I can think of. He has played very good but hasn't gotten consistent puck support. The streakiness has more to do with the team in front of him than with him. The last 2 years we've had trouble scoring consistently and it just happened to be when Phil was in net. Here's some examples.

11/12/04 1 goal on 36 shots 97.2%

01/14/05 2 goals on 30 shots 93.3%

01/15/05 1 goal on 14 shots 92.9%

03/18/05 2 goals on 32 shots 93.8%

12/29/05 1 goal on 21 shots 95.2%

01/27/06 2 goals on 25 shots 92%

six games, six losses, 94.03 save %, 9 goals against roughly 1.5 GAA

There should be no way in he** for a goalie to put up those kind of numbers and lose.

I think if I was a goalie, put up those kinds of numbers, and had that poor of a record, I'd hang myself with a jockstrap.

W/L isn't a stat that can stand on its own for goalies, just like it can't for pitchers in baseball. Bert Blyleven not in the HOF because he didn't have 300 wins? But then again, that's another discussion for another board.

I'm the first to admit that I am not as plugged in as many on this board, but up to this point of the thread nobody has even mentioned Walski. I'm not a particular Walski fan nor do I know much about him other than this is his second year with the team, so wouldn't that at least cause him to get a little more chatter on this board or maybe is that the problem, he has a year under his belt and he isn't up to the #2 spot. I just find it weird that everybody is simply handing the backup role to the newcomer Grieco even even though dedicated SS.com posters even have trouble finding info on?

Just curious.

I'm not surprised that Grieco is getting this much attention, because it was my understanding he was brought in because Jordy left, specifically to strengthen the team in goal. I thought that he wasn't even part of their immediate plans until Jordy left. You don't move someone in early so they can be the #3 goalie and ride the pine every game except exhibition.

I'm not surprised that Grieco is getting this much attention, because it was my understanding he was brought in because Jordy left, specifically to strengthen the team in goal. I thought that he wasn't even part of their immediate plans until Jordy left. You don't move someone in early so they can be the #3 goalie and ride the pine every game except exhibition.

Grieco signed before the word came out that Jordie left. If you read the article about Grieco, even it says that he will be fighting for the number 1 position. I think that any of our goalies will be good if given a chance.

Another thing, we have to remember is that Phil and Jordie are two different people and different goalies. Phil seems like he is more of a flashy, make the flying saves type of goalie whereas Jordie was the solid, zen-approach goalie. two different types and whose to say which one is better.

Grieco signed before the word came out that Jordie left. If you read the article about Grieco, even it says that he will be fighting for the number 1 position. I think that any of our goalies will be good if given a chance.

Another thing, we have to remember is that Phil and Jordie are two different people and different goalies. Phil seems like he is more of a flashy, make the flying saves type of goalie whereas Jordie was the solid, zen-approach goalie. two different types and whose to say which one is better.

So your saying that the coaching staff had no clue that Parise was going to sign? They brought Grieco in because they were told from Parise himself that he was going to sign a pro contract and that the Sioux were going to need a third goaltender.

So your saying that the coaching staff had no clue that Parise was going to sign? They brought Grieco in because they were told from Parise himself that he was going to sign a pro contract and that the Sioux were going to need a third goaltender.

That is not what I meant. I am sure that the coaches knew that Jordie might sign. The news that Grieco signed his NLI came on June 13th. If you don't believe me, heres the link:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...RELEASE_ID=4954

That is before the draft and before the July 1st, when the Devils would have been allowed to negogiate a contract with Jordie, a free agent. I doubt that he would have told them that he was leaving before he even had a offer of a contract. I was just pointing out that he had signed before Jordie left. I'm sure that the coaches knew what they were doing. I trust Hak when it comes to the team and I am sure that all of our goalies are good.

I hope you meant this the other way around :silly:

I think Lammy is going to rock this season and I can't wait for the puck to drop so we can watch another season of Sioux Hockey!

As for the future I would love to see Matt Lundin recruited for next year. He's a product of Apple Valley, MN and played the last two seasons at Maine...he was ranked in the top ten among American goalies going into his freshman season at Maine, but his stock dropped when he didn't get much playing time. He's had to play behind 2 drafted goalies (Jimmy Howard and Ben Bishop) and will spend this season in the USHL before trying to go to another college and get more playing time.

I watched this guy at Apple Valley and he was great, he was also named to MN's all state team his Junior and Senior seasons in High School. Probably just a pipe dream though since he would never be long term (only two years of eligibility left).

Go Sioux!

I think Lammy is going to rock this season and I can't wait for the puck to drop so we can watch another season of Sioux Hockey!

As for the future I would love to see Matt Lundin recruited for next year. He's a product of Apple Valley, MN and played the last two seasons at Maine...he was ranked in the top ten among American goalies going into his freshman season at Maine, but his stock dropped when he didn't get much playing time. He's had to play behind 2 drafted goalies (Jimmy Howard and Ben Bishop) and will spend this season in the USHL before trying to go to another college and get more playing time.

I watched this guy at Apple Valley and he was great, he was also named to MN's all state team his Junior and Senior seasons in High School. Probably just a pipe dream though since he would never be long term (only two years of eligibility left).

Go Sioux!

I like that kid too!!! Hope he has a good year and the Sioux go get him.

• 2 weeks later...

My source, The Source, of course, just reported that Lammy took a sucker punch from some deadbeat somewhere off the ice and is busted up, at least for awhile. Anyone have any further details on this?

Looks like we may be starting the season with Walski or the new guy, Greico?

It's always something in the rough and tumble wide world of sport, eh?

My source, The Source, of course, just reported that Lammy took a sucker punch from some deadbeat somewhere off the ice and is busted up, at least for awhile. Anyone have any further details on this?

Looks like we may be starting the season with Walski or the new guy, Greico?

It's always something in the rough and tumble wide world of sport, eh?

First off, I hope this isn't true, but if it is...

WTF is going on in this country? Kick an athlete's butt month? Will part of scholarship offers have to include bodyguards? Seriously!

Well, thank Parise he wasn't shot like those poor basketball players were out east.

First off, I hope this isn't true, but if it is...

WTF is going on in this country? Kick an athlete's butt month? Will part of scholarship offers have to include bodyguards? Seriously!

Well, thank Parise he wasn't shot like those poor basketball players were out east.

Have you ever known NDH to post something that wasn't true ?

My kid works part time at a 'club' where Philippe worked as a bartender. I think Philippe works across the street from that club at another club now. I'm only posting this because we're not sure if he was hit because he works in a bar or because he's an athlete.

My kid breaks up fights every night he works. I think it's sad that people can't go out to have a good time without having stupid drunks ruining it.

I understand it is an eye thing. The orbital socket, or whatever it is called. I have no word on how serious, or how long he might be out, if at all.

I think that the clown who suckered him needs to have a little private talking to, behind closed doors. Just like those grave robbing bums from southwestern part of Wisconsin.