SiouxSports.com Forum

Big payday for Bison

Rick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think NDSU has a reasonable shot at Ball State but to win against MN in football would be an upset of Wisconsin proportions. We could be the Gophers.....but it would be a shocker if we did....that is the reality of the situation and I think almost all Bison fans would agree with that.

I would put our odds against the Gophs as being a bit worse than the Sioux against UNI.

Firstly, I'd say NDSU has a better shot at beating Minnesota than beating Ball State. Why? Minnesota may look past them; Ball State can't take anyone, especially a DI-AA, for granted if they have any bigger plan for this season, and the MAC seems pretty open this year.

That is until NDSU gets a hockey team and beats them out in that too.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that. ;)

Heres my take on this..trash it or support it...

Bison take on the MN Gophers in Minneapolis...End result is that the Bison are beaten thoroughly and come away from the game with really nothing to build on and potentially critical injuries to key players who now cannot help them in their own conference run. Although they pocket $300k, they potentially put their season in jeopardy for the pay day and have a significant mental block in the future when playing these teams.

or

Bison take on an opponent who offers less cash, but allows their team to take away critical experience and really learn about their team and their progress to date. Even if they lose, they keep their pride and the team and the coaches learn significantly from the experience. Hell, they may even beat them like they did when they played Montana or if its close they walk away with a chip on their shoulder and mad as hell for the next guy!

Lastly, I have a hard time saying that your Basketball upset translates into a potential upset in basketball for the following reasons...

1. Football is brutal agression where physically pounding your opponent is expected and not the anomaly. Basketball has hand checks, forearm pushes, and some body contact, but nothing like knocking the sh$t out of somebody and not even thinking about getting a foul.

2. Speed at the Big Ten football level is more easily converted to scoring in a football size field as opposed to the slow down created by ball control and milking the shot clock.

3. Basketball really requires that you have 5-7 atheletes total to compete, where the football teams at Div 1AA and 1A have wide dispersions of talent, speed, and size in football. Granted, NDSU may match up with some positions in basketball, the matchups will be minimal when comparing positions on the football field where you need to have at least 30-40 athletes to match up against the other team.

So, I hope you the best, but also I hope you don't get whooped because that will actually reflect on all of us and not just the folks in Fargo!

BobIwabuchiFan

I remember it well, but that's an apples to oranges comparison. NDSU isn't UC-Davis and Stanford most definitely isn't Minnesota. Stanford is more comparable to Ball State, who NDSU might stand a snowball's chance in hell of beating. I think some of the NDSU apologists are severely underestimating just how powerful Glen Mason's Gopher football team is.

Yeah your right, UC Davis beat the Bison by a touchdown last year after the Bison beat Davis by 20 some points the year before. And Stanford was 4-4 in the Pac-10 last year(Possibly the toughest conference in the country) while the Gophers were 3-5 in the Big Ten. That comparision isn't even close.

DaveK, perhaps you should stay in the hockey portion of this site. You don't appear to be paying much attention to any other sport.

Yeah your right, UC Davis beat the Bison by a touchdown last year after the Bison beat Davis by 20 some points the year before. And Stanford was 4-4 in the Pac-10 last year(Possibly the toughest conference in the country) while the Gophers were 3-5 in the Big Ten. That comparision isn't even close.

DaveK, perhaps you should stay in the hockey portion of this site. You don't appear to be paying much attention to any other sport.

I don't know if you would should go calling the Pac-10 conference the toughest conference in college football, that might be a stretch. The SEC might want to argue with you on that one a little bit. Besides, comparing one team's conference record with another is not a legitimate arguement since they have no common opponents.

The point was made earlier that the Gophers can be a dangerous team, even when their record might not indicate it. They beat Purdue early in the year when Purdue was ranked #11 and won at Michigan(#21). The only team that Stanford beat of any significance was Navy in the first game of the year. Navy ended up going to a bowl game, but I don't think I would be comparing Navy to Michigan or Purdue. All of Stanford's conference victories came against teams below them in the standings. If you watched the Gophers at all last year, you could tell they had some talent and a respectable team. Not a BCS championship team, but they were competitive with the likes of Ohio State and Wisconsin. Stanford cannot say the same thing.

I hope the game is competitive, but I can't see the game being closer than maybe 17-21 points. That would be a victory in itself for NDSU.

I would put the odds of NDSU beating the Gophers as being a bit worse than the USA hockey team against the Soviets back in 1980. If they win I would consider it to be the biggest upset of all-time in any sport at any level. I'll be shocked if they keep the pointspread to the 17-21 point range that had been mentioned here. I'm thinking the Gophers should win by 30 points minimum. Chances are they'll have a 30-point lead at halftime and then play their entire 3rd string after halftime and not add much if any to the point differential. I see that game as being very similar to the UND/UM-Crookston and NDSU/MSU-Moorhead games from a few years back. People will come away from this game shaking their heads wondering why these two teams were put on the same field at the same time.

Are you referring to NDSU/MN or UND/uni? ???

Dave do you have any idea about anything that isn't hockey? I am not going to say the Bison are going to beat the Gophers or even come close to it but Dave the Bison aren't playing USC they are playing a team that has a lot of question marks and is looking much like a bottem feeder in the Big Ten. The Gophers have a terrible defense and I don't see it improving this year and on offense they lost their two best lineman and their best athletes(Russel and Maroney). They are talking about a more pass happy offense at Minnesota, that right there has got to send chills up the spines of Gopher fans everywhere. The Bison on the other hand probably have one of their most talented teams in recent years and will bring 10-15 thousand into the dome with them, again I doubt the Bison win or come that close(two tds) but you are cutting the Gophers way too much slack.

As for saying NDSU is no UC-Davis take a look at the rankings or overall finishes in 05 and in 04 and Stanford would destroy Ball State. Saying the two are comparable is laughable at best, Stanford went into South Bend and gave the Irish a big scare(lost 38-31). I would also say the 06 Gophers will mirror the 05 Cardinal in that they will be very average and will not make it to a bowl game.

Yeah your right, UC Davis beat the Bison by a touchdown last year after the Bison beat Davis by 20 some points the year before. And Stanford was 4-4 in the Pac-10 last year (Possibly the toughest conference in the country) while the Gophers were 3-5 in the Big Ten. That comparision isn't even close.

Um...did you pay attention to the Big Ten last year at all? Top to bottom, I'd take the Big Ten over the Pac 10 any day of the week. Stanford 4-4 and the Gophers 3-5. I guarantee you that Stanford gets beat by 30 at Michigan.

Saying the two are comparable is laughable at best, Stanford went into South Bend and gave the Irish a big scare(lost 38-31).

Actually, the Irish got a scare AT Stanford, not in South Bend. Notre Dame had every possible break go its way last year and I expect that you will see the REAL Notre Dame come to fruition this year now that the pressure is on. Pittsburgh, Michigan, Tennessee, and Purdue were all terribly over-rated and had about 20 losses amongst themselves.

Notre Dame 2005 Schedule

Since everyone is beating on poor ol' DaveK, I thought I would put my 2 cents in as a Hockey Fan First and then a Football Fan second. The Bison will lose in Minneapolis and will lose badly- plain and simple...This is not Montana boys and these kids are actually drafted without any real relfection on their grades, but rather their strength, speed, and skills on the field. Again, there will be some kids that match up with Minnesota rather well, but you need to match up with them on all of the positions or over time the talent beats you down. I for one will not be going to the Dome to cheer on the Minnesota Gophers, but rather to cheer on the defeat of the Bison football team and their lovely fan base. :blush: My only positive wish for the Bison is that they don't end up having significant injuries as I do believe they are a strong team in 1AA and have a definite chance at scaring the hell out of the old gaurd at this level. :lol:

BobIwabuchiFan

I would say the odds of UND beating UNI would be around 100 to 1 as opposed to a million to one for NDSU against the Gophers.

A million to one?? Come on people. These are the flippin Gophers. I say SU slips one five hole on Hauser and Bison win in OT.

very classy.

-IowaBison-

You should think of your post above whenever a Bison faithful says something negative/flammatory/disrespectful about Sioux athletics on this website, Siouxsports.com, and remind them each and everytime how classy they really are for all of us here on Siouxsports.com

As opposed to all of those classy Bison fans who cheer for the Sioux football team, right? :blush:

Don't get all high and mighty, IowaBison. The Sioux and the Bison (and their fans) hate each other, and that's the way it should be. I have two favorite teams in college football... the Sioux, and whoever the Bison are playing against. I make no apologies for that.

I see no reason why two long-time rivals should "hate" each other. If you take a step back from your own biases and short-comings, you might find that it is possible to have a intense and spirited athletic rivalry without all the negative garbage. If you're wondering why the two schools don't play each other anymore just look in the mirror!

The Sioux and the Bison (and their fans) hate each other, and that's the way it should be.

Baloney. I certainly don't hate UND's athletic teams or those from any other school. A rivalry doesn't equate to hatred.

I'm sincerely rooting for UND this year when they play UNI (I probably won't follow any other games).

Baloney. I certainly don't hate UND's athletic teams or those from any other school. A rivalry doesn't equate to hatred.

I'm sincerely rooting for UND this year when they play UNI (I probably won't follow any other games).

IowaBison, you have to admit there is quite a bit of hatred for the Sioux coming out of Bisonville. One of the reasons that I read Bisonville is that every thread seems to detriorate to a hate UND thread. The thread may start out about restaurants in Fargo and end up how much GF and UND suck. It gets quite comical. SOME EVEN LEAVE THE CAPS ON FOR EMPHASIS ON HOW MUCH THEY HATE UND. You are an anomoly.

I do recall reading either on B'ville or AGS where the Bison fans were gleefully predicting a UNI drubbing of UND.

Actually they are an anomaly.

Most fans have no idea that Bisonville or Siouxsports.com exist.

Of the over 1,000 members of Bisonville there are about five of them (IMO) that display the behavior you describe-there are about that same number here on siouxsports. However, that is too many as one off-topic post about hockey, NDSU's football tradition, how great/awful Fargo or Grand Forks is quickly ruin an otherwise relevant, interesting thread. The moderators are doing a good (and ever improving) job of dealing with this. Recently, most contaminated threads have been outside of NDSU specific discussions and those that get out of hand are immediately dealt with.

Personally, I find this sad, not funny.