SiouxSports.com Forum

Big payday for Bison

Rick

I saw this in Charlie Walters Pioneer Press column on Thursday........

"Word is Iowa will pay Montana $600,000 to play football in Iowa City on Labor Day weekend and the Gophers will pay North Dakota State $30,000 for their Oct. 21 game in the Metrodome."

Is this the big guaranteed payday we've been hearing about? Will $30k pay the expenses? To cut down on expenses, I heard the SU football players were asked to have their parents form carpools and drive their kids to the game. That way they can save on meals also.

A month or two ago I saw Gene Taylor on the tube talking about how the Gophers were after them to play a second game in Mpls. Now I know why. They could have gotten a larger guarantee from Montana Tech. Didn't the Bison and the Orediggers tear up the gridiron last year in Fargo?

Can you imagine the conversation between Joel Maturi and Glenn Mason after they hang up the phones to Taylor?

Maturi: See Glenn, I told you they'd do it.

Mason: I can't believe they'll come down here and let me slap them around for 3 hours for a few bucks.

Maturi: I really think if we would have pressed them they would have paid us to come down here and play.

Mason: Do you think we could get a second game out of them?

Maturi: All I have to do is call them and pretend like I'm really excited about getting the might Bison on our schedule.

Maturi: If you think this is good, you should see the deal I'm working on for the Women's Basketball schedule with them. ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it is a lot of smack...........ITS GOOD SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin hilarious.

How long do you think it will take before a poster from the south will jump in an complain about a jab that was take at them and how unfair and hypocritical this board is?

I sincerely hope that we never whore ourselves out like that. I'm not interested in playing anybody that we don't have at least a slim chance of beating. If they were paid enough I wonder if the Bison would be interested in playing everybody in the top 10 and losing by an average score of 98-0? Chumps!!!

I'll remember this post when UND plays Minnesota in 2011.

;)

I still can't believe it's only $30,000, but if 'SU wins the game, nobody will care what they were paid. And before you say 'SU has no chance: Remember this is UMTC. This ain't USC (or even UNL). They have an idiot for a coach, they always have horrible defense, they lost a huge number of their offensive stars, and I can easily see where they would not be taking this game seriously. Plus the homer dome will have as many (and louder) 'SU fans in he seats for the game.

I'll remember this post when UND plays Minnesota in 2011.

;)

Well, that's good. What are you going to do with it? Some more pretend forensic accounting? Should someone make a list of the posts here, and on Bisonville, that are made in a negative tone towards UND? I would imagine that DaveK is trembling just thinking of the day when UND announces a game with the U of M in 2011, waiting for the reaction that gets and the revenge that is exerted on him by an anonymous poster on an internet message board.

What are you? The new NDSU internet policeman defending all things NDSU? Looks like someone is in need of their neverending reminder that this is a UND BOARD. Hello? If you don't like what is posted here, take the site out of your 'favorites', and quit reading the posts. Seems pretty simple.

I still can't believe it's only $30,000, but if 'SU wins the game, nobody will care what they were paid. And before you say 'SU has no chance: Remember this is UMTC. This ain't USC (or even UNL). They have an idiot for a coach, they always have horrible defense, they lost a huge number of their offensive stars, and I can easily see where they would not be taking this game seriously. Plus the homer dome will have as many (and louder) 'SU fans in he seats for the game.

It's 300k.

What are you? The new NDSU internet policeman defending all things NDSU? Looks like someone is in need of their neverending reminder that this is a UND BOARD. Hello? If you don't like what is posted here, take the site out of your 'favorites', and quit reading the posts. Seems pretty simple.

I'm okay, Clayton.

Are you okay?

;):lol:

I sincerely hope that we never whore ourselves out like that. I'm not interested in playing anybody that we don't have at least a slim chance of beating. If they were paid enough I wonder if the Bison would be interested in playing everybody in the top 10 and losing by an average score of 98-0? Chumps!!!

I hope you're not really serious with this comment, since you're AD's sole mission for the D-I move is getting these games. Funny how UND will be trying to get to that 57 average, before increasing anything else.... wonder why that would be. A D-I UND will be assured of one of these games a season.

Of course I'm serious. I'm looking forward to playing teams like Montana, Montana State, Northern Iowa, etc... NOT Big 10 teams that we aren't in competition with and stand no chance of beating. Playing a team that you couldn't possibly beat on your best day is stupid.

If thats how you feel, you should contact your AD as soon as you can. You may not be too happy with the future of UND football.

I'll remember it too. What's your point? If and when the Sioux schedule a football game against Minnesota I will have the same attitude towards it that I have now... nothing good can possibly come from it.

What good will come of it?

How about a few hundred thousand dollars to balance the budget and a great deal of pr?

DaveK I've always know by your posts here and on Bisonville that you were an idiot but this last post really proves that point. As if UND would turn down a payday from any big ten school. If your going to try to post something at least make it credible.

That's fine with me.

NDSU will get all the Minnesota football paydays and media coverage when we eventually upset them.

UND will have to settle for the hockey games. That is until NDSU gets a hockey team and beats them out in that too.

Uhhhh... yeah, that's essentially what I just said. Did you actually think you were informing me of some revelation that I was not aware of? I understand the possibility exists that the D-1AA Sioux football team might play a D-1A team. I'm saying I do not like that idea. I think it's stupid for NDSU to play the Gophers this year, and I would say the same thing if UND were to do it in a few years. At least I'm consistent that way. I'm not some biased homer who thinks it's great when my team does it but stupid when my rival does it.

Uhhhhh, no, its not a possibility, its a certainty. You're AD is already pushing the idea of a large portion of the funding for a move to D-I coming from these types of games, hence you're priority in getting to 57 scholarships, the minimum needed to play money games against D-I teams.

I guess my assumption was that since you were on this site arguing to a bunch of bison fans, and since you never said that you had contacting your AD discouraging him from playing these games, that you weren't in contact with your AD. I'm not really sure how you expected me to know that you were from the always intelligent conversations I've read between UND and NDSU fans.

I'm glad to know that you have personally called or emailed the UND athletic department telling them your disaproval of UND playing Minnesota in football. I hope that request is followed by a 300,000-500,000 dollar check to make up the difference.

Oh, wait, were talking about UND here, the school of unlimited money and finances. Why would they ever need a money game. Its a well known fact on this site that the only thing holding up UND from any venture/ expenditure is the lack of imagination of the administration. I mean, its pretty obvious that UND has money for: an indoor football practice facility, a womens hockey program that isn't funded yet, a move to D-I, a move to D-I with equivalent womens scholarships (like SDSU did, except in one year), a new lacrosse team, a law suit against the NCAA over the naming issue, and the list goes on. Now we can add to that list, that in order to accomplish all of this, UND doesn't need to bring itself down to playing money games like almost the entire DI-AA division does every season. Noooooo, UND hardly has the same issues as those schools.

You think it's good to sacrifice the pride and self-esteem of your players for cash? If that's your attitude, why don't you go out and play each of the top 10 teams in D-1A? I'm sure they would all be willing to kick the snot out of your team and pay you a handsome sum of cash for your trouble. I have the attitude that wins are of a higher priority than being paid off for being a sacrificial lamb.

I understand and appreciate your side of the argument, DaveK. I believe that the tradeoff is worth it.

There is no need to take my position to hyperbole, I believe that playing more than 1 BCS team is sacrificing the team. (Depending on the dynamics of the future) I don't see any DIAA team that is sincerely aiming for the playoffs playing more than one DIA team.

I disagree.

I think it would be just a beneficial to play a BCS team as a mid-major, especially when one accounts for the payout discrepancy (Ball State $150k vs. Minnesota $300k).

Ball State isn't really a money game as NDSU should be seeing that much at the gate at home.

Ball State also isn't a sacrificial game as NDSU could win that game (I'm not expecting them to, but it is probably no more than a 4:1 shot).