SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts Resigns

SiouxMD

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the SBoHE bears responsibilty for this fiasco but let's not forget the involvement of Chapman and Co.

On February 28, 2006, Board member, Richie Smith, received a call from Governor Hoven's office asking him to meet with the Governor and John Q. Paulson in Fargo. According to Mr. Paulson the Governor did not want to lose a good president and he had concerns about the leadership style of Chancellor Potts. After the meeting, Mr. Paulson and Mr Smith held further conversations about whether Chancellor Potts was a good fit for the University System.

1. Governor Hoven had NO BUSINESS getting involved with the SBoHE. The SBoHE was developed specifically to keep Governors and other politicians out of the decision making for the State's institutions' of higher learning including the critiquing of the Chancellor. A meeting is called 'from Governor Hoven's office', this was not a personal call from the Governor to a couple of buddies who happened to be SBoHE members, this was not 'social conversation' where an opinion can be expressed 'unofficially', this was a formal, official meeting. The Governor used his office and title to involve himself in something that he had no official business!

2. Paulson and Smith can call their 'conversations' anything they want when in reality they had 'official' SBoHE meetings to discuss how to get rid of Potts in order to make Chapman happy.

Collusion, deception, lies, backstabbing, all words to describe Chapman and Co. and many members, if not all, of the SBoHE. Was this the first time? Hardly! ;)

How do we trust anything this board does from now on?

Petros, et al, got this square on the nose:

Hopelessly compromised as they are, board members involved in this behind-the-scenes conspiracy need to do the honorable thing and resign.

Sunshine, soapy water, and a scrub brush I say.

Those three presidents should be commended. I would want the president of my university to go into that meeting with a plan to further the interests of their univeristies. Its called leadership. I rather doubt their intention was to hurt the state university system as a whole. The job of the presidents is to present what they need for their individual schools, its the job of the board and chancellor to sort through those requests and decide whats best for the entire system.

Those three presidents should be commended. I would want the president of my university to go into that meeting with a plan to further the interests of their univeristies. Its called leadership. I rather doubt their intention was to hurt the state university system as a whole. The job of the presidents is to present what they need for their individual schools, its the job of the board and chancellor to sort through those requests and decide whats best for the entire system.

Right, why the he!! have a SBoHE. How dare the Chancellor do his job.

http://www.ndus.edu/policies/sbhe-policies...cy.asp?ref=2398

Exercise administrative control, consonant with Board policy, over interinstitutional matters including, but not limited to, those pertaining to budgets, curriculum, research, and public service, and extension activities.
Serve as the official representative of the Board and the institutions and entities it governs to the Legislature, to the Office of the Governor, to the Executive Branch, and to other governmental entities.

Geeze....

Right, why the he!! have a SBoHE. How dare the Chancellor do his job.

http://www.ndus.edu/policies/sbhe-policies...cy.asp?ref=2398

Geeze....

Exactly. IMO, Potts was forced out because he refused to be NDSU's lapdog. Potts had the entire state to worry over, as there are a lot of Universities and Colleges in the state that need help (restructuring or otherwise) more than NDSU and Chapman "did his job" in forcing out the opposition.

I hear from an NDSU professor, that the guy that will replace Potts is handpicked by Chapman. So, if I were Kupchella, or the presidents of any other University or College in ND, I'd be very worried about asking anything from the SBoHE from now on. I mean, it would obviously have to coincide with whatever NDSU wants.

This whole thing is a mess. And whomever said that those who colluded behind the scenes should resign is correct as well.

I thought the official NDUS policy was all interaction between schools and the Legislature was to be channelled through the NDUS's point-man: the chancellor. (Look it up.)

potts came out today and blasted chapman:

from the ap:

North Dakota's chancellor says N-D-S-U President Joe Chapman has tried to undermine the state university

system. Robert Potts says Chapman's relationships with other North Dakota college presidents and state university system staff have deteriorated over the past year. Chapman denies the allegations. He says Potts has mistaken honest dissent for an attempt to be subversive. Potts and Chapman haven't gotten along. Potts asked that somebody else do Chapman's evaluation. But the Board of Higher Education wanted Potts to do it. Potts' evaluation of Chapman is mostly favorable. But it includes criticism of what Potts says are Chapman's attempts to undercut the university system. Potts also declined to recommend that Chapman be given a pay raise. He says that will have to be left up to the board.

I hear from an NDSU professor, that the guy that will replace Potts is handpicked by Chapman. So, if I were Kupchella, or the presidents of any other University or College in ND, I'd be very worried about asking anything from the SBoHE from now on. I mean, it would obviously have to coincide with whatever NDSU wants.

I'd be careful about starting rumors like this. It's on the same level as the tabloid type news reporting the media has already done with this story. It's been an embarassment to the state.

This whole situation is an embarassement to the state. It started when the AG's report became public. I have no doubt that the next Chancellor is going to have to do alot of bending over for Chapman and the SBoHE members and our state's Govenor will supply the KY.

here's a link to a story by the ap Forum Article

Also, Eddie Dunn threw his name back into the ring for interim chancellor after lee vickers decided he didn't want the job. Dunn will have an interview tomorrow and john q paulsen essentially said it's dunn's job based on the fact the 1) he was one of the two recommended finalists and 2) nobody else wants the job.

here's a link to a story by the ap Forum Article

Also, Eddie Dunn threw his name back into the ring for interim chancellor after lee vickers decided he didn't want the job. Dunn will have an interview tomorrow and john q paulsen essentially said it's dunn's job based on the fact the 1) he was one of the two recommended finalists and 2) nobody else wants the job.

Actually according to the article, his application/name was never removed. The board refused to accept his withdrawal at the latest meeting.

???

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone but you would be able to. :D:lol:

Since I know none of you will post this as you don't really want to see this from a perspective other then one that may benefit UND but here it is anyway.

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/136354

Potts should have been shown the door a long time ago. The facts don't jive with you now do they sioux-cia? Your beloved Potts was not interested in equity at all. I see no one has bothered to answer the one question about what did Potts do to benefit ND or the higher ed system? I can answer it for you. NOTHING.

Since I know none of you will post this as you don't really want to see this from a perspective other then one that may benefit UND but here it is anyway.

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/136354

Potts should have been shown the door a long time ago. The facts don't jive with you now do they sioux-cia? Your beloved Potts was not interested in equity at all. I see no one has bothered to answer the one question about what did Potts do to benefit ND or the higher ed system? I can answer it for you. NOTHING.

Well, call me shocked. :D

Another politician from Fargo tries to blame Potts for the mess Chapman created. Who's "facts" should we believe.....the North Dakota Attorney Generals, or Chapman's District 27 Lap-dog???

Well, call me shocked. :D

Another politician from Fargo tries to blame Potts for the mess Chapman created. Who's "facts" should we believe.....the North Dakota Attorney Generals, or Chapman's District 27 Lap-dog???

Some of you are simply incredulous, of course the validity of what the man has to say always is predisposed to where he lives. You would no sooner believed him if he had lived in GF or any other city in ND as it doesn't sit well with what you want to believe. Not only incredulous but obstinate maybe a better way to put it.

Some of you are simply incredulous, of course the validity of what the man has to say always is predisposed to where he lives. You would no sooner believed him if he had lived in GF or any other city in ND as it doesn't sit well with what you want to believe. Not only incredulous but obstinate maybe a better way to put it.

Your wasting your time with this bunch. potts turns down 12 million and accepts 2 million. That's the leadership ND higher ed needs.