SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts Resigns

SiouxMD

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good message being sent to the other schools from the Board. It will be interesting to see what their (schools) response will be. Also, how difficult is it going to be to hire another Chancellor? The new job description will have to read, 'Policies, procedures, rules and regulations are to be enforced equally to all institutions, unless, of course, they don't want to follow them.'

Not a good message being sent to the other schools from the Board. It will be interesting to see what their (schools) response will be. Also, how difficult is it going to be to hire another Chancellor? The new job description will have to read, 'Policies, procedures, rules and regulations are to be enforced equally to all institutions, unless, of course, they don't want to follow them.'

I agree that it may make it very difficult to find a qualified replacement. The upper echelons of higher ed seem to be a pretty small world, and I would guess the Chapman-Potts controversy may give possible candidates some pause.

This isn't necessarily indicative of a preference by the board for every-man-for-himself institutional autonomy. Potts' voluntary departure removes a personal conflict that may have actually thwarted resolution of the question.

The best thing that could come from this is the NDSBoHE clearly defining the role for the chancellor and hiring a replacement with clear expectations on all sides of what his authority will be. The more likely outcome is, unfortunately, a dramatic weakening of central authority and a renewal of zero-sum competition between N.D.'s higher ed institutions. I hope even the Chapman idolators realize the latter wouldn't be good for anyone.

I think the board should be taking the lions share of the heat for this fiasco. The lack of oversight and a fair and equitable funding formula for all schools is what led to this. I believe if the funding issues are not resolved the next chancellor will have an uphill battle and its not fair to him or her nor is it to all the universities in the system.

I think the board should be taking the lions share of the heat for this fiasco. The lack of oversight and a fair and equitable funding formula for all schools is what led to this. I believe if the funding issues are not resolved the next chancellor will have an uphill battle and its not fair to him or her nor is it to all the universities in the system.

I've been reading in a number of places that the board is responsible due to inequitable funding. I don't live in ND, so don't know the whole funding battle situation, but it would seem to me that there would have to be more than one school that feels that it was underfunded, but Potts claimed that his fight was with Chapman. Are the remainder of the schools funded above where they need to be and NDSU is the only school underfunded? The would be the only situation that I can see where the funding being "the issue". It seems to me it has to be deeper than funding, as Potts has said on more than one occasion that Chapman refuses to accept Potts' authority. I agree with you, insofar as oversight. This shouldn't have gotten this far, where the chancellor resigns.

I've been reading in a number of places that the board is responsible due to inequitable funding. I don't live in ND, so don't know the whole funding battle situation, but it would seem to me that there would have to be more than one school that feels that it was underfunded, but Potts claimed that his fight was with Chapman. Are the remainder of the schools funded above where they need to be and NDSU is the only school underfunded? The would be the only situation that I can see where the funding being "the issue".

The real debate is if we want to have a University System of not.

We don't currently, but we like to pretend that we do.

As far as funding, all school's but one, VCSU, are 'underfunded' which means they don't receive an allocation from the state large enough to match the funding of their 'peers'. In my opinion, these peer comparisons are completely ridiculous.

You know who UNDs #1 peer by a mile is (ie who do they really compete for students with)? NDSU! Big surprise and vice versa.

Same for MaSu, VCSU, DSU, and MiSU. There is no need to compare with a school from New England.

But the argument works well, you tell the state that EVERYONE is underfunded (some more than others) and that a lot more money is needed. The only problem is that North Dakota is one of the Top 5 states for higher education funding! Don't let that get out!

And yes, when according to a FORMULA UND sees an extra $500+ per student than NDSU does each year, there is a big problem.

"For the purposes of this opinion, this office was interested in Dr. Chapman's involvement only as it related to a possible open meetings violation by the SBHE."

"For the purposes of this opinion ... "?

" ... of this opinion ..."?

What the heck does that mean?

Do we want a university system that includes a Medical School and a Law School?

It costs more money per student to run those.

I do.

The medical school has a separate line and isn't included in my data.

I don't see why state subsidies should be significantly higher for law students than for other graduate students.

And that has little to do with the difference, unless you think the state should subsidize law students over 40k each.

Dr. Chapman must need a vacation and rest. His memory and recollection seems much worse than the others.

During my interview with Dr. Chapman, I repeatedly asked him about this elaborate plan to force Chancellor Potts to resign on March 27. Dr. Chapman claimed he could not remember the conversation, but he did not say that Dr. Thigpen

During my interview with Dr. Chapman, I repeatedly asked him about this elaborate plan to force Chancellor Potts to resign on March 27. Dr. Chapman claimed he could not remember the conversation, but he did not say that Dr. ThigpenÂ’s account was inaccurate.

" ... this elaborate plan to force Chancellor Potts to resign ... "

Dr. Chapman doesn't recall such a conversation, but it sure seems, from reading that AG opinion, like Paulson, Smith, and even Gov. Hoeven, were working for Dr. Chapman (and what Dr. Chapman doesn't recall that he might have left, as an impression to some, as a demand for his staying).

Wherever did all of these notions and impressions of plans and demands come from?

I'm very uncomfortable with the content of http://www.ag.nd.gov/documents/2006-O-11.pdf. I don't know how else to put it. Is Dr. Chapman a liar? or is he a victim of Alzheimer's? I hope for the sake of our State's University system he suffers from dementia. The idea that a University president is a liar, back stabbing schemer, and has the support of our State's Governor and SBoHE members is very scary. Where is the power and who yields it?:ohmy:

The State's Attorney's record appears quite complete and doesn't read as if he's holding anything back. I wonder what Wayne thought of all the backdoor crap that seems to be spilling from NDSU's President.

There seemed to be a lot going on (people talking to people about seemingly the same subject again and again), yet, fortunately for those involved, the open meetings law (specifically "quarum") was not broken.

But still, eight pages of exploratory examination just to say "no law was broken" seems like a lot.

Why'd the AG make such an explicit effort to document all the conversation and goings-on of a non-violation?

It also seemed like several of the Board members were backpedaling from statements. They all seemed to know what to say so as to avoid violating the law. It seems clear that members were meeting separate with the expressed purpose of circumventing the law. Several members seemed unhappy with Potts, a plan forms seemingly out of thin air to boot him, yet nobody actually talked to each other.

This is the kind of thing that makes North Dakota look like a backwater hick state and deservedly so. The constant need to get rid of people who "aren't from around here" and failure to accept new ideas is strangling the state.

I'd like to see the media investigate this further, but I'm sure the chances of that are slim and none.