SiouxSports.com Forum

2nd Largest Donation to UND in History

CDog

What I find interesting is how two people with a fairly modest earning potential (a teacher and an engineer) can amass that much money. People from that generation were just unbelievable when it came to managing money. I suppose it also helped they didn't have any blood-sucking leeches (i.e. kids). ;)

Agreed. Factor in that these people generally lived within their means without credit cards, drove their cars until the wheels fell off and probably lived in their homes for more than 10 years, and it's easy to understand why so many of the "Greatest Generation" managed to amass modest fortunes. I also like the fact that these people are more likely to give to education, charities, etc. than passing the bulk of it to their kids.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, what a gift like this shows is that IF UND decides to go D-1, money will never, ever be an issue.
I'm sorry, but I just saw this, and cdog, that has seriously got to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. For a school so well endowed, it sure is funny that you can't even fund your womens hockey team. It's also funny your running a deficit in D-II.

I mean its bad enough that your still in D-II talking about it, but you really think that if you're D-I money isn't going to be an issue? Ohio States athletic budget is approximately 100 million a year. You don't think you'll have an issue competing with that? Do you think right now all of the mid majors are thinking, "yeah, we don't need any more contributions, we're not taking any this year. Money's not really an issue for us. "

I truly hope you meant something else, because you're completely out of touch with reality if you believe that UND has so much money that its not an issue. I can assure you, it is a huge issue, and if you are a wealthy person, I would suggest donating to UND if you really are a fan, and can afford it. They don't have a surplus of money, just like every other school in the country.

As much as I always appreciate money being donated, I have to say I'm disappointed at the location of the building.

That are behind Hughes was a very nice area that was never utilized as much as it should have. And by that I don't mean more building, I mean students using it as they do the quad behind the library.

On a few occations I went back there because there were the trees, the coulee, and it was just nice and quiet. Now they're going to fill the space? I am disappointed.

I realize the land on campus is in short supply, but that doesn't negate my disappointment that that area is no long going to be.

That was a fantastic gift - bottom line!! The fact that most of it will go toward funding scholarships is, DUHH ;) , a GOOD thing! A UND degree has obviously served a LOT of people academically for future success in life and we appreciate their generousity AND loyalty and it will only help UND down the road!

• 2 weeks later...
As much as I always appreciate money being donated, I have to say I'm disappointed at the location of the building.

That are behind Hughes was a very nice area that was never utilized as much as it should have. And by that I don't mean more building, I mean students using it as they do the quad behind the library.

On a few occations I went back there because there were the trees, the coulee, and it was just nice and quiet. Now they're going to fill the space? I am disappointed.

I realize the land on campus is in short supply, but that doesn't negate my disappointment that that area is no long going to be.

students use the quad because its the center of campus. you need to meet someone and you're on opposite ends of campus? head to the quad. its an open area that gives you the ability to study in a fairly quiet area. you still get to watch people walk by and talk to friends who stop by. it's the best of both worlds. the new area will just be a good quiet place, but if you like to people-watch, then stay in the quad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...