SiouxSports.com Forum

2nd Largest Donation to UND in History

CDog

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would guess you're right. It was a used car lot (for rental vehicle, all white) for a few years before the building disappeared entirely. I was there one last time to eat when at a Westward Ho meeting, sometime in the early 90's, I believe, although it could have been late 80's.

I've been lost in GF ever since.

I tended bar for a while at Frenchy's. It was originally beer only. After business dropped off because people were going to other places that had hard liquor, it was changed to include hard liquor and became Frenchy's Cabaret. I don't think it ever regained its earlier glory days. Part of the glory days were a result of the fact that many Sioux athletes frequented the place (maybe a precurser to Blarney's?? - actually Sioux hockey players were a lot older back then). Frenchy was eventually forced to close the business due to health problems. He suffered from emphysema, and the cigarette smoke was a problem for him. The building hung around for a while, but was eventually demolished. Frenchy is now retired in a small ND town. A recent issue of Sioux Illustrated had a very great article on Frenchy and a lot of Sioux history. It turns out that he played hockey in California with a number of the Grand Forks/northern MN hockey names of history, including Ralph Engelstad being the goalie on that CA team. If you can find a copy of the article, it is well worth reading.

God bless them both.

There is nothing quite like a university garden, it will be a treasure.

I know that you're trying to be funny, but I know you'll be happy to hear that $1 Million will go towards the donor's wishes and the remaining $9 MILLION can be used in any way the University wishes.

While attending UND, Elnora developed a great love for the beauty of the English Coulee. She asked that a portion of the bequest be used to build and furnish a spiritual center in a serene setting near the Coulee. The Hopper-Danley Memorial Spiritual Center will be built east of Hughes Fine Arts Center . Elnora wished for the building to be used for meditation, prayer, small worship groups, and weddings.

In a Dakota Student article a month or so ago, there was talk of building a chapel along the English Coulee that would resemble a chapel at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, where Elnora lived.

I was looking at the pictures here.

The bottom three appear to be the Wellness Center

Interesting. I was going from the press release where it said:

In a fitting tribute, a quiet lounge and memorial garden in the new Wellness Center will also be located near the English Coulee. Spirituality was extremely important to Roy and Elnora, and the Hopper-Danley Quiet Lounge will be a place for individuals to meditate and reflect. The same holds true for the Hopper-Danley Memorial Garden , which will be located in front of the building.

So now that we know what the gift is, and don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for it no matter what it is used for at the University, but what are the odds that a portion of this endowment will be used for athletics? If nothing else, the timing of this is certainly interesting. My hopes about DI have been dwindling, so right about now, I could sure use one of star2city's updated prediction/timelines! :)

So now that we know what the gift is, and don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for it no matter what it is used for at the University, but what are the odds that a portion of this endowment will be used for athletics?

Slim and none would be my guess.

What the heck is this foreman 20 minutes late? Other hod carriers? What do you think I do for a living? Machine shop?

iramurphy, spare me your condescending rhetoric. But if it makes you feel good about yourself, so be it. Apparently, your administrators won't let UND get bad-mouthed, but you UND guys are certainly fairgame when it comes to bringing NDSU down,... how do you guys put it? Classless? Agricultural College? Nice. Hippocritical, but nice.

I give my school as much money as I can. At this point, its not much, but it's better than nothing.

If you guys can't take a joke, so be it.

Seeing how long you can last on this site before they kick you off. It must be rough being banished from bisonville.

I know that you're trying to be funny, but I know you'll be happy to hear that $1 Million will go towards the donor's wishes and the remaining $9 MILLION can be used in any way the University wishes.

I'm pretty sure IowaBison was being serious. Anybody who's spent any time at Iowa State could tell you how much a garden can add to a university environment.

With $9M to be used at the discretion of the University, scholarships and D1 should be able to share the wealth with more than a few bucks left over for renovation, refurbishment and reinvestment.

Athletically, at the very least, a portion of this generous gift should be put toward the women's hockey program so that tuition waivers can be done away with.

Athletically, at the very least, a portion of this generous gift should be put toward the women's hockey program so that tuition waivers can be done away with.

IMHO, the gift will fund a few new programs, which would be chosen from among the following on the strategic plan:

Undergraduate

-Human Resource Management

-Sports Business

-Graphic Design

-Computational Chemistry

-Ethics

-Aeronautical Engineering

-Community Health

-Environmental Science

Master

I noticed the Mrs. Danley graduated with an education degree. The education building is one of the few buildings on campus without a namesake. It's also an old building in need of repair (unless something has been done the last few years). The word was that it was always at the top of the list for refurbishment. The problem is that teachers make such little money, that their isn't enough in donations to get things fixed. Seems like a fitting place for some of that money.

What I find interesting is how two people with a fairly modest earning potential (a teacher and an engineer) can amass that much money. People from that generation were just unbelievable when it came to managing money. I suppose it also helped they didn't have any blood-sucking leeches (i.e. kids). :)