SiouxSports.com Forum

Demise of the CHA

The Sicatoka

USCHO has a pretty good article on the effects of Air Force leaving College Hockey America (CHA) for Atlantic Hockey.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12591/ANewWorldOrder.html

The demise of the CHA could be a big blow to hockey at Bemidji State.

Some of the other potential effects are startling:

With only five viable leagues, there's very little growth opportunity for Division I men's hockey.

Without the CHA, Alabama-Huntsville may have to abandon varsity hockey.

Losing multiple teams from the varsity ranks could imperil the 16-team NCAA tournament.

And most interestingly, this:

The loss of the CHA could accelerate the possibility of a Big Ten hockey conference.

If CHA teams were to be absorbed into existing leagues, college hockey ends up with as many as 59 Division I teams packed into five conferences, some of which would have as many as 14 members.

That gridlock could stoke the fire beneath the always-bubbling pot of a Big Ten league, which would potentially be composed of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and a sixth team like North Dakota, Penn State (which would have to move up to varsity from club status) or Notre Dame.

:) ..... :)

Think of it this way? you have 6 teams, and your kicking the crap out of each other every night, not all 6 teams are going to be in the playoffs. Its a stupid pipe dream that I predict will never happen. Looks like the CHA is already lobbying for the different leagues to pick them up.

Can't imagine that the WCHA membership would be too thrilled with having programs moved to a new conference.

The more likely scenerio would be for Bemidji State to move into the WCHA, and maybe move someone from the CCHA (UNO or UAF) into the WCHA, and split the league into 2, 6 team divisions.

I can't believe the CHA hasn't been able to attract someone into their conference. IIRC they were offering serious money to Kennesaw State (or someother bubba school) to add varsity hockey and join the CHA. There are a lot of pretty well-established club hockey teams, especially in the Alabama-Huntsville neighborhood, that would seem to be pretty natural candidates to make the jump to varsity.

http://www.achahockey.org/league.php?scrip...E&leagueID=7700

Losing the CHA is not good for college hockey, and certainly doesn't send a positive message to any school that is considering moving up. We're down to 59 schools playing D1 now, and Huntsville is likely to drop to club status when the CHA folds its tent.

I think it behooves all the rest of college hockey to see the CHA pick up at the very least another member, and to help pay the bills until the situation stabilizes. Might be a good place for the NCAA to drop some of the billions it has amassed!

In conference play, you need teams like AA and MSUM. If the BTHC was formed with those GIANT schools, it would just be a super-conference. More-so than the WCHA, which is on a roll, this one would just be huge. I think it's a stupid idea. The WHCA is very prestigious (sp?) and teams that would leave it for the Big Ten would have to be soulless.

Bad News Bears, is what that is. I would like BSU in the WCHA, but I don't think an entire league should go down. This would be horrible for the sport.

I probably wasn't paying attention, but why is Air Force leaving anyway? The AHA isn't anymore prestigous, travel would still be extensive in either league, BSU, Niagra, and Alabama-Huntsville are only becoming stronger programs, so why? Was OOC scheduling really that hard? Just seems strange to leave the CHA so quickly, knowing full well the ramifications. :)

I still don't see the BTHC appearing anytime soon. Or UND in it. Why form a conference when in different conferences everyone can get to the post-season?

I probably wasn't paying attention, but why is Air Force leaving anyway?

Army is in AHA and the hot whisper is that Navy will be adding hockey and joining AHA.

Welcome to your Armed Forces Hockey Cup. :)

Some good conversation about this article also at

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=58316

(especially post #128). :)

In conference play, you need teams like AA and MSUM. If the BTHC was formed with those GIANT schools, it would just be a super-conference. More-so than the WCHA, which is on a roll, this one would just be huge. I think it's a stupid idea. The WHCA is very prestigious (sp?) and teams that would leave it for the Big Ten would have to be soulless.

Bad News Bears, is what that is. I would like BSU in the WCHA, but I don't think an entire league should go down. This would be horrible for the sport.

Actually, the BTHC would look more like the old WCHA before Michigan and Michigan State left for the CCHA. In the 1970s, it had those two schools are well as Notre Dame. The only Big Ten school that was not in the WCHA was Ohio State.

I'm sorry, but I really see no reason to "expand" college hockey. Hockey is a cost-intensive sport, and Title IX issues notwithstanding, most schools who might be "natural candidates" for the all-elusive BTHC such as Penn State, Iowa State, etc. are not in the position to field legitimate D1 teams. I'd rather see the number teams stay roughly the same, and some conferences re-align, instead of watering down the sport because some marketing goofball pulled inspiration from their rectal pore. :)

I can see the BTHC as being very harmful to western hockey if you aren't a big time school.

Even if we were to go DI in all sports, we'd still not be in the same league size wise as UMN, UW, Michigan, tOSU, etc. So, I don't see how UND would get an invite to join this conference.

Then look at what would be left to form the other western conference:

UAA

UAF

UNO

UND

MSUM

UMD

MTU

LSSU

WSU

UAH (though they'd probably drop hockey altogether)

SCSU

WMU

NMU

Notre Dame

BSU

Splitting that group up, would either conference be seen as anything but a joke? It would KILL UND's PWR. And even then, we'd not be in half as much hot water as the eastern teams in the CHA (Niagara and RMU).

I would hate to see what would happen to us if this were to come down.

I can see the BTHC as being very harmful to western hockey if you aren't a big time school.

Even if we were to go DI in all sports, we'd still not be in the same league size wise as UMN, UW, Michigan, tOSU, etc. So, I don't see how UND would get an invite to join this conference.

Then look at what would be left to form the other western conference:

UAA

UAF

UNO

UND

MSUM

UMD

MTU

LSSU

WSU

UAH (though they'd probably drop hockey altogether)

SCSU

WMU

NMU

Notre Dame

BSU

Splitting that group up, would either conference be seen as anything but a joke? It would KILL UND's PWR. And even then, we'd not be in half as much hot water as the eastern teams in the CHA (Niagara and RMU).

I would hate to see what would happen to us if this were to come down.

althought this is the likely senario, i still think it would be fun to throw those 6 or 8 perennial powers into a league for a season and see who comes out on top. other than that, i would like to see the wcha stay the same, if not, add BSU and steal tOSU and let the rest fall where they may (AHA)

Can't imagine that the WCHA membership would be too thrilled with having programs moved to a new conference.

The more likely scenerio would be for Bemidji State to move into the WCHA, and maybe move someone from the CCHA (UNO or UAF) into the WCHA, and split the league into 2, 6 team divisions.

The WCHA will do what it can to avoid Bemidji State (too small an arena, low population area) but it also wants BSU hockey to continue.

Splitting the CCHA in two would probably help hockey the most by maintaining rivalries and minimizing travel. The CCHA, with 12 schools, is really too big anyway. With the reduced number of conference games, Mich/Mich St could both continue scheduling tOSU and N Dame as non-conference games, and the other schools would still have regular series with either major name set.

A Michigan College Hockey Association could be:

Michigan

Michigan St.

Michigan Tech (from WCHA)

N Michigan

W Michigan

Lake Superior St

Ferris State

Wayne St (from CHA)

Great Lakes Hockey Assoc:

Ohio St

Notre Dame

Miami OH

Bowling Green

Nebraska-Omaha

Alabama-Huntsville (from CHA)

Alaska-Fairbanks

Niagara (from CHA)

WCHA

loses Mich Tech

adds Bemidji

Robert Morris to Atlantic Hockey

Star's solution is definately the best solution in a lot of respects (prevents oversized leagues, keeps most of the smaller Michigan schools with the big two, there isn't one conference a whole lot greater in prestige or strength) but, will OSU and Notre Dame be enough for Bowling Green, Miami, and UNO to go for it? MTU might worry it would hurt recruiting to leave the WCHA though.

This would be a good time to address the CCHA becoming too unwieldy. Heck, if the college community is really going to sit down and find a solution I wouldn't be surprised if something like this gets a thorough look. Getting that many schools to believe they're getting a fair deal is tough unfortunately. This IS a fair deal though. AND it leaves two healthy conferences with the ability to expand if (insert school) ever starts DI hockey. All that adds up a DI hockey community healthier than it is now. :)

star2city is just setting me up for disappointment with all these ideas for conference realignments. :);) Somehow I think this proposal makes too much sense for it to happen, if you know what I mean.

I think that we would perhaps stay in the WCHA adding Bemdji and Alaska Fairbanks to replace the Gophs and Sconny

That would totally diminish the WCHA conference as a whole. No disrespect to Bemidji State and Alaska-Fairbanks, but Minnesota and Wisconsin are flagship schools in the conference. Take away two of the big three (North Dakota being the other) and all of a sudden, you're left with two schools with a rich NCAA history (UND and Michigan Tech, although the Huskies have been dormant for 30 years now) and a bunch of schools with no tournament wins ever. Welcome to small-time hockey, folks. No Gophers and no Badgers = disaster for the WCHA.

That would totally diminish the WCHA conference as a whole. No disrespect to Bemidji State and Alaska-Fairbanks, but Minnesota and Wisconsin are flagship schools in the conference. Take away two of the big three (North Dakota being the other) and all of a sudden, you're left with two schools with a rich NCAA history (UND and Michigan Tech, although the Huskies have been dormant for 30 years now) and a bunch of schools with no tournament wins ever. Welcome to small-time hockey, folks. No Gophers and no Badgers = disaster for the WCHA.

While I would add Denver and possibly CC to the list of tradition-rich flagship schools, I basically agree with what you're saying.

While I would add Denver and possibly CC to the list of tradition-rich flagship schools, I basically agree with what you're saying.

You're obviously correct. In my head, I was thinking (again, no disrespect) schools like Minnesota State, St Cloud, and Alaska-Anchorage. Denver and CC have plenty of NCAA tournament tradition and history behind them as well as UND, MN, and WI.

Agree completely. What makes the WCHA what it is today, is the number of quality teams, which in turn, pulls in the best college players.

Minnesota & Wisconsin both have a history with UM & MSU, but they are not even close to the rivalries that exist with most of the WCHA teams, and there is no history at all with OSU.

I for one, would HATE to be able to play the Sioux, at best once a year, in a meaningless, non-conference series. The intensity, and atmosphere that surround each of these games today, would be completely lost.

Same goes for playing UMD. SCSU, Denver, and CC.

I also think that taking UM & UW out of the league would hurt all of the other WCHA members. Let's face it........some of the reasons players come to WCHA schools, is that they get to play against some of the best programs in the country on a weekly basis (mostly....apologies to UMT and UAA). I really believe that busting up the conference would effect recruiting for all invloved as well.

Just a really bad idea all the way around....for all of the programs, and for us fans as well.

I also think that taking UM & UW out of the league would hurt all of the other WCHA members. Let's face it........some of the reasons players come to WCHA schools, is that they get to play against some of the best programs in the country on a weekly basis (mostly....apologies to UMT and UAA).

I couldn't agree more with those statements! Part of the reason kids go to a school like UND has to do with playing Wisconsin, Denver, CC, and Minnesota. Take away WI and MN and now try to sell recruits on Alaska-Anchorage, Minnesota State, Alaska-Anchorage, Michigan Tech, Bemidji State or Robert Morris and those recruits will be thinking "but if I go to Michigan State, I get to play Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin...". Bad idea all the way around.

All that being said, if there is one school that I wish would turn things around, it's Michigan Tech. Colorado College was a doormat in the late 1980's and they have turned things around and played at a consistently high level since the mid 1990's.

I couldn't agree more with those statements! Part of the reason kids go to a school like UND has to do with playing Wisconsin, Denver, CC, and Minnesota. Take away WI and MN and now try to sell recruits on Alaska-Anchorage, Minnesota State, Alaska-Anchorage, Michigan Tech, Bemidji State or Robert Morris and those recruits will be thinking "but if I go to Michigan State, I get to play Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin...". Bad idea all the way around.

All that being said, if there is one school that I wish would turn things around, it's Michigan Tech. Colorado College was a doormat in the late 1980's and they have turned things around and played at a consistently high level since the mid 1990's.

Yeah, if CC can find a way around their institutions high academics standards, Tech can too. :D

CHA appears saved

Jacobs pointed out NCAA by-law 31.3.4.4, which discusses the various "groupings" of sports for the purposes to determining automatic qualification to the NCAA Tournament. Section "c." of that by-law groups individual sports that are not "timed" (as in track) — i.e. cross-country, fencing, golf, wrestling and tennis. In those sports, the respective sports committees are allowed to grant exceptions to the six-team requirement.

Jacobs suggested that the Ice Hockey Committee forward legislation under an "item (d.)" that would create a new grouping of sports — ones whose membership is 25 percent or less than the total NCAA membership. Those sports would then also be eligible for that five-team exception. With just 59 Division I teams in men's ice hockey out of nearly 400 Division I schools, membership is well below 25 percent.

College hockey may have just dodged a huge bullet.