SiouxSports.com Forum

Athletic Director

D1sioux

Someone please tell me why your boss would come out in the local paper and state that He wants to take a program to places it hasnt been before, other local teams can find a way to get it done, so why cant our MBB team do this... Even if this is true and going on, which i am not saying the team has been stellar, but Rich deserves better than his boss coming out in the local paper and bashing him!!!! He has shown loyality and committment to turning out good young men, no employee should have to deal with this!!!

If all the other athletic depts in our conference can stay in budget, why cant UND, if all other athletic depts in our conference can run a dept without 6 Asst. AD's, why cant UND...same difference!!! I found those remarks appalling!!

Now onto the WDAZ news last night that stated EERC can have the old Engelstad arena... to use as a parking ramp no less.....are you kidding me....build a ramp.......he was on tv saying the athletic director told him personally he could have the building and the land....I am sure glad the coaching staff found this out on the news!!! WOW......someone please show the clueless the DOOR!!!!!!

Someone please tell me why your boss would come out in the local paper and state that He wants to take a program to places it hasnt been before,

National Championship? Maybe? New level as in division? Maybe?

other local teams can find a way to get it done, so why cant our MBB team do this...

I ask it; other Sioux fans ask it; why can't Buning?

but Rich deserves better than his boss coming out in the local paper and bashing him!!!! He has shown loyality and committment to turning out good young men, no employee should have to deal with this!!!

Rich has us all hung out with this application at UNI. UND deserves better than this, don't you think?

If all the other athletic depts in our conference can stay in budget, why cant UND, if all other athletic depts in our conference can run a dept without 6 Asst. AD's, why cant UND...same difference!!! I found those remarks appalling!!

UND was out of budget under Roger Thomas. Buning has been in place less than a year. You can't turn around a battleship in a bathtub.

Now onto the WDAZ news last night that stated EERC can have the old Engelstad arena... to use as a parking ramp no less.....are you kidding me....build a ramp.......he was on tv saying the athletic director told him personally he could have the building and the land....I am sure glad the coaching staff found this out on the news!!! WOW......someone please show the clueless the DOOR!!!!!!

This is the only thing that surprises me. Was Buning saying it or was he quoted? Are we sure someone got the quote right?

Last I heard UND will be undertaking a total athletics facilities long-term plan this summer. It'll be a map for facilities for the next ten years (locations, types, etc.). I would think the old REA would play into that.

WOW......someone please show the clueless the DOOR!!!!!!

In less than a year. :silly:

Give LTC Buning a chance. Look at what he's been handed:

- the moniker issue from the NCAA

- DI committee

- volleyball coach resigns

- the current Glas situation

Yet:

- FB made the regional semis

- WBB made the regional final

- mens hockey made the Frozen Four

All is not lost.

once again...Sic whatever...your ignorance shows thru....who said it...the man in charge of the EERC said he has personally talked to Mr. Bunning....and he had his approval to have the building!!!! Sure glad coach Lennon was involved in this decision!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if your willing to give him all the praise for this years successes but none of the responsibilities of what is going wrong!!! The boss has made this administration more top heavy than UND has ever been before!!!!!!

The budget could be way under if not for his key hirings!!!!!!!!

How long would you assume it would take to reign this budget in??? I know for a fact Mr. Kupchella gave him a year...two max....hope his time table works with that!!!!!!!!!!

Which obviously it hasnt!!!!! Editor for Sioux Illustrated....Executive Secretary.....Office Administrator......AD in charge of operations.......Asst AD for marketing who was getting paid by REA to work with UND....instead...now UND is paying his entire salary....and what does UND need a marketing or a facility AD for??? UND doesnt play in its own buildings....or do any of its own marketing...REA does it all!!!!!

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

My point about saying that about your current coach under contract shows no loyality what so eve to Coach Glas.....he has no choice but to take the job now....after statements from his boss like that!!!

How would you feel if you applied for another job and yhour boss said who ever takes over for you...will do a lot better job than yourself....after all Rich has done for UND...he deserves better than that....if he decides to leave...then let him leave without a statement like that!!! That was uncalled for!!!!!!!

I for one am not questioning any of the decisions at hand that LTC Bunning has made.

First question, why would we ever let an old building like that go, the answer is quite simple:

- anyone who owns a house knows how much property taxes are, and when there is a building just sitting there not being used, and with land that the university does not plan on using, why keep it? I know a lot of sioux fans especially older rans, this decision might not make much sense, but in terms of monetary vaule, it makes perfect sense, esepecially when the budget is trying to get in balance, its a business, and this is a pure business decision.

How could we ever treat Rich Glas Like this?

- From my viewpoint, 10+ years ago he was a top tier coach, but i feel its more of a what have you done for me lately situation. In the past 5 years the team has done nothing in D2, and if our program is trying to make a jump to the division 1 level, this problem must be addressed. Yes he does have the all time wins record, he has been here for 18 years, and does have strong ties to GF, but when does UND ever settle for subpar standards in any sport,let alone a major sport? On top of this all he has a chance to further his career with a stable division 1 school who made the NCAA tourny last year, so it is a good choice for him personally, and it is also time for UND to amke a change, so why not leave on a good note, and with some respect if he has the chance?

Why doesn't UND play in any of its own buildings?

- ECONOMICS, does anyone know how much it cossts to play in your own building, in UND's eyes it is cheaper to rent, than build your own, this avoids the college have to pay the obsurd property taxes in this town, and saves UND much needed money.

Why is the budget so out of line?

- Everyone loved it when Lennon was signed to a multi-year contract that paid him more than 100k a year, but doesn't like the effect it has on the budget, when about to move to d1 we must keep our great coaches and make changes to the strugglling ones, to make the transition smoothly, and into this the recently build betty, upgrades that are wanted to the alerus, a new D1 womens hockey program, that is adding more scholarships every year. Everyone else budges are more in blance, because everyone else in our confecerence does not have to deal with 2 D1 programs, which are very costly. Upgrades and movement up wards costs, money, and i would much rather have Bunning who knows how to raise moey from his experience of army than our previous AD.

Some of these decisions are hard for grand forks residents to understand because we have so much pride in keeping our locals and friends here, but when moving to D1 some of that has to be sacrificed in order to have the most qualified peple in the right positions to make the transition smoothly. A college is a business, and athletics are a business, there may be some unhappy fans but that is how monetary decisons are made these days.

D1sioux, beside an article of reference to all this, my question is: Can you present an issue for argument without resorting to insulting and putting down other posters who do not share the same opinion as you do?

If not, then based on the arguement, I'll side with The Sicatoka over your opinion because Sic posted a rational, yet opposing, viewpoint in which you responded by name calling.

Name calling = admission of defeat in a debate. How so? Name calling means you've left the issue behind and attacked the character of the person presenting the case.

So, yeah, I expect to be called 'ignorant' or 'clueless' or whatever, but so be it.

Oh, fightingbooya and Sic- Good points the both of you.

I think that whoever uses the most exclamation points wins an argument.

In that case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:silly:

So...

Did anyone see the WDAZ followup to the story on the old Engelstad Arena in which they interviewed Tom Buning? In that story, Tom HIMSELF said that athletics is preparing a proposal for use of the land, and that both their proposal and the EERC proposal will be considered. I didn't see the WDAZ report D1Sioux was talking about (I am guessing it's the same one discussed here.), but I did see this one.

So...

Did anyone see the WDAZ followup to the story on the old Engelstad Arena in which they interviewed Tom Buning? In that story, Tom HIMSELF said that athletics is preparing a proposal for use of the land, and that both their proposal and the EERC proposal will be considered. I didn't see the WDAZ report D1Sioux was talking about (I am guessing it's the same one discussed here.), but I did see this one.

I'm glad somebody commented on this, as I saw that Buning was interviewed on the news the other night, but was unable to to hear the report where I was. It certainly is interesting that Groenewold and Buning seem to have very different recollections about their conversations on this matter.

once again...Sic whatever...your ignorance shows thru....who said it...the man in charge of the EERC said he has personally talked to Mr. Bunning....and he had his approval to have the building!!!! Sure glad coach Lennon was involved in this decision!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I get that for this:

This is the only thing that surprises me. Was Buning saying it or was he quoted? Are we sure someone got the quote right?

Last I heard UND will be undertaking a total athletics facilities long-term plan this summer. It'll be a map for facilities for the next ten years (locations, types, etc.). I would think the old REA would play into that.

Great, asking a question for confirmation shows one's "ignorance". :)

And it turns out other folks heard:

"Tom HIMSELF said that athletics is preparing a proposal for use of the land, and that both their proposal and the EERC proposal will be considered."

Gee, that aligns more with what I'd heard (and I'll choose to avoid the ad hominem attack).

My point about saying that about your current coach under contract shows no loyality what so eve to Coach Glas.....he has no choice but to take the job now....after statements from his boss like that!!!

Why is a coach under contract admitting that he's applying for a job elsewhere before he's even a finalist for it?

Who's hangin' whom out?

Why is a coach under contract admitting that he's applying for a job elsewhere before he's even a finalist for it?

Who's hangin' whom out?

It's very interesting that in one sense, this Glas situation is unsatisfactory to everyone who has any interest in UND men's basketball--those who are staunch Rich Glas backers, and those who want him out. Those who back Rich 100% evidently feel he's being forced out and has no choice but to take another job, and those who want him gone don't appreciate how long it's taking to announce that he's leaving so that the search for a new coach officially begin.

I happened to catch part of the Swygman and Hennessy show this morning, and although I didn't hear all of it, it seemed pretty clear that they were of the opinion that Rich didn't deserve the heat he'd been getting from fans in recent years. In so many words, it was equated to the situations of Gino and Gunther. I believe Tim said something to the effect that "this institution will chew you up and spit you out." But is UND any different from other schools that have a passionate fan base? I don't believe so. The bottom line is that if you're a coach, you know that you need to win, or eventually you'll be fired/forced out. And the higher the expectations are--based upon resources and past success--the more you need to win. Rich simply hasn't won enough the past 11 years. Certainly there have been some circumstances beyond his control, but neither can he be considered blameless for all the embarrassing losses to schools like UMC, Minot State, etc., and late-season collapses. This move is good for all involved. I just wish it wouldn't have taken roughly three weeks between the time the rumor first surfaced to the time when Rich announces he's leaving.

I happened to catch part of the Swygman and Hennessy show this morning, and although I didn't hear all of it, it seemed pretty clear that they were of the opinion that Rich didn't deserve the heat he'd been getting from fans in recent years. In so many words, it was equated to the situations of Gino and Gunther. I believe Tim said something to the effect that "this institution will chew you up and spit you out." But is UND any different from other schools that have a passionate fan base? I don't believe so. The bottom line is that if you're a coach, you know that you need to win, or eventually you'll be fired/forced out. And the higher the expectations are--based upon resources and past success--the more you need to win. Rich simply hasn't won enough the past 11 years. Certainly there have been some circumstances beyond his control, but neither can he be considered blameless for all the embarrassing losses to schools like UMC, Minot State, etc., and late-season collapses. This move is good for all involved. I just wish it wouldn't have taken roughly three weeks between the time the rumor first surfaced to the time when Rich announces he's leaving.

I agree. When I heard Tim say that I just about fell out of my chair. If he thinks UND and their fans "will chew you up and spit you out" he should probably follow other programs as well.

I agree. When I heard Tim say that I just about fell out of my chair. If he thinks UND and their fans "will chew you up and spit you out" he should probably follow other programs as well.

You think they'd be saying that if UND Hockey finished where Mens basketball did in their repective conference standings/national tournaments.

I think not. Swygman and Hennessy would probably be right there along with the rest of us wanting a new head coach.

It seems that coaches of "lesser" known sports get more breaks. And its complete BS.

Oh and look over there....its peoples arguments of upper midwest basketball, location, competing on a national level championships etc, just went out the window with Winona winning the championship.

You think they'd be saying that if UND Hockey finished where Mens basketball did in their repective conference standings/national tournaments.

I think not. Swygman and Hennessy would probably be right there along with the rest of us wanting a new head coach.

It seems that coaches of "lesser" known sports get more breaks. And its complete BS.

Oh and look over there....its peoples arguments of upper midwest basketball, location, competing on a national level championships etc, just went out the window with Winona winning the championship.

While I agree with the majority of your points, the location of Winona is much more appealing to a hugely greater pool of athletes than Grand Forks. With Wisconsin right across the river (with no DII colleges, the Twin Cities 100 miles to the north, Iowa just to the south, not far from IL, etc., this is a much different situation than Grand Forks. I would guess that within 150 - 200 miles of Winona, there are 10 to 15 times the number of DII quality athletes available as compared to the same distance from GF!

While I agree with the majority of your points, the location of Winona is much more appealing to a hugely greater pool of athletes than Grand Forks. With Wisconsin right across the river (with no DII colleges, the Twin Cities 100 miles to the north, Iowa just to the south, not far from IL, etc., this is a much different situation than Grand Forks. I would guess that within 150 - 200 miles of Winona, there are 10 to 15 times the number of DII quality athletes available as compared to the same distance from GF!

I have to add my voice that comparing Winona and UND's location is not the same. Out of Winona's top 7 players - 4 are from Wisconsin and 1 from Illinois. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay are all 200 miles or less from Winona.

Heck UND even recruits from Wisconsin with 4 of their players from that state.

Having said that ... for most basketball players ... distance/location is a secondary priority compared to coaching stability, winning, opportunity to play, facilities, fan support and other basketball related aspects.

That is not to say you'll get every recruit you want but there shouldn't be a D2 basketball recruit anywhere within 200 miles of Grand Forks that UND loses unless they don't want them. That is the mistake they are making. They are letting SW Minnesota, Minot State, South Dakota, Nothern State, Crookston and others like these to win battles against UND.

The AD needs to get this circus fixed. He needs a Tim Miles kind of coach. He needs to pay him well. Take your time making this decision because it needs to be the last time you do this for 5 years or more. Your roster is pretty well filled out. A few holes here and there but nothing to materially impact next year. The greatest most consistent winningest organizations have superior stability. Their coaches are stable, their players are stable and their fans are stable.

Northern State in Aberdeen is the perfect example. A school with 2,000 students leads the nation in D2 attendance. Its winning percentage is unbelievable.

Interesting how some coaches feel that way also....interesting

As far as economics go....history has proven...not owning your own buildings...isnt a good long term proposition....

As far as coach Glas...that quote did not need to make the paper...about taking the program to a new level...all that needed to be said was...we have a coach....until we do not have a coach....we will address the issue.....that was not very classy to make that statement..

Having said that ... for most basketball players ... distance/location is a secondary priority compared to coaching stability, winning, opportunity to play, facilities, fan support and other basketball related aspects.
Winona has 5 scholarships.......

You can only blame location for so much. Before Winona won it, "there was no way an uppermidwest team could win" but they did now we/you have to rationalize why they won.

What happens if/when UND won it? Out the window (except probably won't happen now cause UND will be moving D1). I guess I'll face the fact: "anywhere but UND can win because of location." Got it! (*except for the other 3 Major sports on campus cause they have all won championships in the past few years: Hockey, Football, W Basketball: Got It).

You can only blame location for so much. Before Winona won it, "there was no way an uppermidwest team could win" but they did now we/you have to rationalize why they won.

What happens if/when UND won it? Out the window (except probably won't happen now cause UND will be moving D1). I guess I'll face the fact: "anywhere but UND can win because of location." Got it! (*except for the other 3 Major sports on campus cause they have all won championships in the past few years: Hockey, Football, W Basketball: Got It).

I see so many North Dakotans with this attitude. So many have it stuck in their head that North Dakota and it's cities can never be anything. Unfortunately this attitude is being passed on to the youth of the state. And people wonder why nobody wants to stay here after high school.

I see so many North Dakotans with this attitude. So many have it stuck in their head that North Dakota and it's cities can never be anything. Unfortunately this attitude is being passed on to the youth of the state. And people wonder why nobody wants to stay here after high school.

I hope you realize I agree with you and was trying to be extremely sarcastic. If it makes you feel any better I am one of those "youths." We'll call us the "new north dakotans" with the take no prisoners attitude :):)

I hope you realize I agree with you and was trying to be extremely sarcastic. If it makes you feel any better I am one of those "youths." We'll call us the "new north dakotans" with the take no prisoners attitude :):)

I understood what you were saying. I grew up in western North Dakota and to begin with wasn't even going to consider a ND college. Well I ended up choosing UND and will forever be thankful that I did. I actually did end up taking a year off from college to get out of the state for a while and moved to Phoenix. While I loved Phoenix I quickly realized that life in NoDak isn't as drastically different as some will lead you to believe. I am now back in ND and see myself living in the Grand Forks area for a long time to come.

• Upvote 1

indeed....maybe the Moorhead St. Assistant coach is interested in the job....i find it funny that the guys on fox sports at 6 o clock made fun of UND for not having a press conference for a guy who has been at UND for 18 years!!!