SiouxSports.com Forum

Momentum or "prove the world wrong"

Upper Deck

The saddest part is that CHucko will probably have a better shot at the NHL than a lot of guys we've discussed. He's got a big #1 draft pick sign. The league has rules around signing number one picks, so unless he has turned off the team so much that they are willing to let him go for nothing, they will have to pay him number 1 pick money. Once they pay out the dough, he will get every opportunity to prove he can't play, while other guys have to earn it by proving they can play.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scouts do know the buisness far better than we do. Maybe we should look for the New Jersey executive who said anyone for Irmen and you can give him a lesson or two. The bottom line for a hockey exec is to get their team to the playoffs. They are not going to continue to play a lesser player just because they should "get some work out of someone they've already paid alot". And if that means telling your best center that he's gonna have to find a new team because Irmen is coming, that's what he's going to do.

Kessel was rookie of the year right? Two years from now I hope the NHL all star game is close to home, I'd like to be front row center when Phil lines up for the opening face off.

LOL :D You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets "philled" first, that's all I have to say to that.

Drew Stafford = Great player I would like to have on my team

Travis Zajac = Great player I would like to have on my team

Danny Irmen = Great player I would like to have on my team

Ryan Potulmy = Great player I would like to have on my team

Phil Kessel = Great player I would like to have on my team

Where's the 'thumbs up' emoticon? :D

And if I were Irman, I'd be cozying up to that NJ exec in the hopes of getting his rights traded away from the dark abyss known as the Minnesota Wild franchise.

is this to say that he will sign after he is drafted, spend half a season getting knocked around in the AHL, come up midseason, do some things, show his promise, and then come out of the box in the 07-08 season with a thunder?? or is he going to be drafted by pittsburg and stuck on a line with malkin and crosby and just feed them one timers and goal mouth tips all day??

I have no problem punching a ticket for Zajac and Stafford because they are first round draft picks. The simple fact is that means a lot. There is a great old special that aired on cbc called "The road to the NHL" and really talked about the difference in what it took to make the show as a first rounder vs an undrafted player. It was enlightening. The undrafted player could score 2 points a game for 3 a week and get sent down, while the number one could go -20 for a month and stay up.

As far as an NHL all star game for PK in 2 years...I certainly hope so. I think it will be more likely to see next year's MN recruit Erik Johnson in that game.

Didn't Duluth have a big shooting, poor skating forward a couple years ago win the Hobey and not see an NHL rink for more than a day up to this point?

High draft picks are more important than college stats...I think a mid-late first round pick about 6'2 200 lbs had 40 points as a freshman. Zajac 2005? yes, also Keith Tkachuk 1990 BU.

High draft picks are more important than college stats...I think a mid-late first round pick about 6'2 200 lbs had 40 points as a freshman. Zajac 2005? yes, also Keith Tkachuk 1990 BU.

Yet both of their respective teams (Potulny and Irmen's) seem highly interested in getting them out of college asap.

I'm amazed everyone doesn't just realize we have a ton of talent on the ice when the two teams meet and it's fun as hell to watch. Who's the better player, better team, blah, blah, blah.....sorry. I'm hoping the Sioux and Gophers meet Saturday night and winner has bragging rights till next year. That's all this means! That said, Go Sioux!

I'm amazed everyone doesn't just realize we have a ton of talent on the ice when the two teams meet and it's fun as hell to watch. Who's the better player, better team, blah, blah, blah.....sorry. I'm hoping the Sioux and Gophers meet Saturday night and winner has bragging rights till next year. That's all this means! That said, Go Sioux!

That should settle it for the year until next season. I like UND chances this time if we beat Michigan.

UND is clicking on all cylinders right now.

I have no problem punching a ticket for Zajac and Stafford because they are first round draft picks. The simple fact is that means a lot. There is a great old special that aired on cbc called "The road to the NHL" and really talked about the difference in what it took to make the show as a first rounder vs an undrafted player. It was enlightening. The undrafted player could score 2 points a game for 3 a week and get sent down, while the number one could go -20 for a month and stay up.

As far as an NHL all star game for PK in 2 years...I certainly hope so. I think it will be more likely to see next year's MN recruit Erik Johnson in that game.

Didn't Duluth have a big shooting, poor skating forward a couple years ago win the Hobey and not see an NHL rink for more than a day up to this point?

So when a guy goes from draft day to NHL without improving a lick they are gonna give him the world? Go find a few of your favorite NHL players and see how many of them spent 1-2 years in the minors first. I wouldnt count Lessard out just yet. Markus Naslund certainly wouldnt.

If high draft picks are more important than college stats? What if Stafford had 7 points this year and Irmen had 140. Or vise versa? Drafted in the first round? Big deal.

Scott Mellanby-2nd round

Patrick Roy- 3rd round

Brett Hull-6th round

Cliff Ronning-7th round

Luc Robatille- 9th round

Gary Suter- 9th round

Joe Nieuwendyk-2nd round

Mike Richter-2nd round

Igor Larionov-11th round

Adam Graves-2nd round

Mattieu Schneider-3rd round

Mark Recchi- 4th round

Tony Amonte-4th round

Rob Blake-4th round

Alexander Mogilny-5th round

Nicklas Lidstrom- 3rd round

Sergie Fedorov-4th round

Pavel Bure-6th round

Sergie Zubov-5th round

Ziggy Palfy-2nd round

Chris Osgood-3rd round

Go tell one of those guys that Irmen and Potunly don't have a chance because they were 3rd rounders.

I see Michigan.

If the lads who put on the jerseys Friday night are smart that's all they see too.

Damn straight Sic. And the lads putting on the jerseys on Friday are smart, because,

among other things, they saw clear to attend the University of North Dakota and they are

coached by the best damned staff in all of college hockey, bar none.

One change and shift at a time.

I see Michigan.

If the lads who put on the jerseys Friday night are smart that's all they see too.

I was down by the players' lounge this afternoon. What DVD was showing on the big screen?

Michigan vs. Michigan State.

The lads are smart and they see what you see.

By the way, as a result of my trip to ice level, I can confirm that Drew Stafford's leg was NOT amputated. I'll now lay to rest that ugly rumor I started. :D

Say what you will about Don Lucia, but I DOUBT he'd kick the Sioux out of their own dressing room. Yeah, he has every right to do it under the rules, but I doubt he'd show that sort of classlessness.

What rules give him that right? :D

I believe the #1 seed can have the home locker room if they want.

Can you cite the specific rule and where it's written?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm wondering if it's a hard and fast rule or something that's done as a courtesy. I'd think that if the host team were playing in the tournament, it'd have first dibs on its own locker room.

Can you cite the specific rule and where it's written?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm wondering if it's a hard and fast rule or something that's done as a courtesy. I'd think that if the host team were playing in the tournament, it'd have first dibs on its own locker room.

Not in '02 at Yost. Michigan was kicked out of their locker room so Denver, the #1 seed could use it.

I can't cite the actual rule, but maybe they've changed it since '02. I agree, that the host school should be allowed to use their own dressing room. None of this matters because even if Lucia has the option to use the Sioux locker room I gaurantee that he will decline. Especially since the visiting locker room has been very kind to the gophers in the past, there's no way he wants to change anything.

Not in '02 at Yost. Michigan was kicked out of their locker room so Denver, the #1 seed could use it.

You're right. I found it in this USCHO 2002 West Region preview:

If you think the big news in Ann Arbor this weekend is that the Wolverines can't use their own locker room for the West Regional, think again.

Not only has the NCAA told the Wolverines to remove their center-ice logo from Yost Arena (to make it a more neutral site), but the Wolverines also must relinquish their locker room to teams higher seeded.

But Yost is still Yost, and it's Michigan's building. "If that's one stipulation we have to deal with, we'll deal with it," Michigan junior Mike Cammalleri told the Ann Arbor News this week. "We're just worried about getting there on the ice, and then it will feel like it always does in this building."

In other words, just drop the puck.

The rule is ammended now for host schools. Additionally it is a classless move, and as much as we like to rip the rodents, they are a class program and so is Delta Don. Why would any team in their right mind give a top-end opponent another reason to want to get out there and kick some a$$?

The rule is ammended now for host schools. Additionally it is a classless move, and as much as we like to rip the rodents, they are a class program and so is Delta Don. Why would any team in their right mind give a top-end opponent another reason to want to get out there and kick some a$$?

you took the words right outa my mouth....why give a team MORE reason to be fired up?

W

I also want to end the number one pick discussion and will acknowledge good points made. I do want to comment that a lot of the players on the late draft hero list printed were Russian and/or European. At the time they were drafted (especially the Russians) there were huge challenges on getting them over here with the cold war and all. I remember the world junior squad with Segei, Alex and Pavel, and I guarantee that they would've gone first round if they were North American players. Some of those challenges still exist with other leagues (look at Malkin). In an NHL game, there are 17 players who get ice time, 4 lines of forwards, 3 defense pairs and a goalie. Obviously there are backups (especially in net) but if you take the 17 roster spots and figure that top end players will play abot 15 years in the show and mid-level players anywhere from 6-15. It doesn't take long to figure the that to get 16 of 17 roster spots would take the 2 top picks per year over 8 years. That doesn't factor in trades for veteran free agents who were top draft picks. I wish those guys luck...there has never been a Red River player in the show.

So when a guy goes from draft day to NHL without improving a lick they are gonna give him the world? Go find a few of your favorite NHL players and see how many of them spent 1-2 years in the minors first. I wouldnt count Lessard out just yet. Markus Naslund certainly wouldnt.

If high draft picks are more important than college stats? What if Stafford had 7 points this year and Irmen had 140. Or vise versa? Drafted in the first round? Big deal.

Go tell one of those guys that Irmen and Potunly don't have a chance because they were 3rd rounders.

Ok, let's get realistic here. Obviously, if someone puts up 140 pts vs 7, they would most likely have a better chance of making the show... but that's not the case. We're looking at two players who have similar stats. If you don't think teams have more invested in a first round pick than a 3rd rounder, then you're crazy. They'll most likely give a 1st rounder a few extra chances to prove what he's got. Why? Marketing. Name all the 3rd rounders from the past 3 drafts without looking. Now name all the 1st rounders. Unless you spend your days memorizing the names of 3rd rounders, you'll name a lot more guys who went in the 1st.

Nobody (i just scrolled through the convo, but if someone is saying this, they're pretty dumb) is saying that there is absolutely no chance irmen and potulny can make the show. But nobody is saying it's guaranteed either. College hockey is wierd, especially the WCHA. While we put out a lot of very highly skilled players, we also have points leaders who never make it in the NHL. Panzer, Senja, Goehring, Pohl, Westrum, Lundbohm. All of those guys dominated NCAA hockey, but look at how many NHL games they have combined: 34. And sejna has 27 of those.

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of zajac, stafford, irmen and potulny make the show... but I wouldn't be surprised if only two of them made it either.

I'd rather the Gophers had won the Final 5, remained fat and happy, and perhaps UND could have caught them overconfident and sleepwalking a little in the regional. Or at the very least, I wish they would have beat Wisconsin on Saturday.

The last time the Gophers got kicked around and beaten twice in the same weekend, they rebounded by sweeping UND in Grand Forks.

Back to the original topic, my vote is with mksioux. I prefer when the Sioux are coming in under the radar ready to prove people wrong. You'd think this year would be like that, with UND finishing 4th in its conference and in the middle of the tournament field, but the prognosticators seem to have found Sioux religion after last year's run.

I'm even somewhat conflicted on whether I would prefer the games to be somewhere other than REA (though that conflict would quickly evaporate if the games being at REA meant I were able to attend, as it does for many here :ohmy: )