SiouxSports.com Forum

Momentum or "prove the world wrong"

Upper Deck

You can't discount anyone this time of year. I would've bet my house that the money line two years ago would've rolled Denver, not lost 1-0. I think that there are several things that people keep missing. Most notably, the balanced attack of UND. We can roll three forward lines with 2 top two draft picks on each line. There aren't a lot of NHL teams that can say that. Zajac (1-2004), Stafford (1-2004), Oshie (1-2005), Toews (will be 1-2006), Kozek (2-2005) etc. D is even more amazing with Chorney and Smaby (2nd) Lee and Finley (1st). With talent at that level, the real key is coaching, and Hak has been the maestro again. Look at the changes in the line combinations. You have to believe that from watching practice every day, that Hak knew how the Toews and Duncan connection could work. The key is to put the right guys together at the end of the year so that they taste success and become more confident. Sort of the sum is greater than the parts belief. Synergy for the business school types. The combinations are right, the success is right, and this team is better than anyone gave them credit for. Numbers show the frosh's as being younger, more highly drafted, and scoring more goals individually and collectively than any other group of young 'ins...even MNs highly touted class. Hakstol learned a ton from Blais and in two years has both recruited and motivated as well as any coach period.

As far as going into the NCAAs, would you rather be on a great big battleship looking for the leaking holes, or a shark in the water smelling blood?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have the momentum. But I also rather play Holy Cross than Michigan. Minnesota should roll over Holy Cross and the UND/Michigan game will be a battle. With East refs the game may come down to special teams play.

But here's saying that with Parise playing well it comes down to goaltending and we pull out the Friday game.

Saturday? Who knows? Minnesota has the best power play in the nation. If we can play five on five we win. If we're in the box a lot...

All year Minnesota has been winning on offense. Their defensemen pinch more than anyone I've seen and it wins them most games. This past weekend it didn't and with all of the odd man rushes Briggs and Frazee faced no wonder they lost.

Let's beat Michigan and then we can worry about the Gophers.

Irmen and Potulny are good college players and have outscored a lot of team's top two lines combined, but I'd take Stafford and Zajac over them any day, and the guys who get paid to seek out talent said the same by investing more heavily in them and drafting them in the first round. After MN's top gun line, they don't really have much left though do they? Wheeler, Kessel and Stoa? I'll take Oshie, Toews and Duncan. They've certainly scored a lot more goals this year.

MN can be beaten if you can shut down the Potulny line. I would have Smaby and the likes of Porter out against them every shift.

Shutting down Irmen is every bit as important as shutting down Potulny. Irmen is the straw that stirs the drink. He is also a hot head, and I would love to see Prpich rattle his cage and take him off his game. The danger there is that Irmen sometimes feeds off that to up his play. Potulny is a great shooter, but not such a great skater. Too shut him down you have to keep him from getting the puck. A shadow could successfully do that if he is a top-end skater.

The MN player that scares me isn't from GF though. Alex Goligoski can QB back there, and UND must stay out of the box to win if we get past Michigan. 3 of the most successful college hockey programs in history in a showdown in GF...should be ok hockey, eh?

I don't know what's right or wrong, but here's how I choose to look at it. You know MN is working hard to shore up the weaknesses exposed this past week, and they might fix the boat nicely. Playing Cupcake State on Friday will probably not test those fixes all that much.

The Sioux, on the other hand, will be forced to play at a high level in order to win against Michigan.

I'm choosing to think that this will force the Sioux to be the sharper knife should they advance to Saturday's game. Doesn't guarentee a win, but maybe it helps give the Sioux a chance against MN.

Irmen and Potulny are good college players and have outscored a lot of team's top two lines combined, but I'd take Stafford and Zajac over them any day

You can take Stafford and Zajac, but you'd be taking the two lesser players of the the four.

Stafford and Zajac have a combined 38 goals. Potulny has 38, by himself. That's the most goals scored in the nation by one player in nine years! He also has 24 goals in his last 23 games which is simply an amazing stat.

The four I things I looked at from last weekend were this. Gophs never had a lead all weekend, Gophs had eight goals scored on them in one game, they were at home, and the Sioux won this tourney with out Drew. That is not the kind of momentum you want coming into a regional, much less a regional in Grand Forks. If I were a gopher fan, I must remind you of a certain Denver team that beat the the "Siouxpermen" two years ago in Colorado and ended up with all the marbles. Oh yea, the WCHA title anchor you picked a couple weeks ago is not going to help the golden cause either. I would have to argue that the physcial and mental grind to bring a conference title home does take a toll and we may have witnessed some fallout last weeknd from the Gophs effort. I pick momentum and the SIOUX.

I suppose I'd rather be in the Sioux's position, but I think the Gophs aren't in as much trouble as people are saying. In my opinion, the goaltending wasn't THAT bad on Friday. 3 or 4 of Briggs' goals were tipped in, which means we need to work a lot harder in our defensive zone at taking the body and breaking the puck out. If the whole team can do that, the goaltending falls into place.

I didn't get a chance to watch all of the championship game, but didn't St. Cloud handily outshoot the Sioux? It looked like St. Cloud was playing very tough, and that Goepfert had his worst weekend of his life, yet the Huskies made a game out of it by the end of the 2nd period. Although I think think the Sioux are a fine team, I'm not ready to say they are the favorite to win it all (same applies to the Gophs, however).

This whole tourney is pretty wide open. If Miami gets hot, the might have a shot.. if Wisco stays hot, they have a great chance. And it looks like BU is a real contender from out east. I can't wait for this weekend to come, we should all be treated with some amazing college hockey!!!

Oh my good Lord! :D Take off your maroon and gold blindfold and look at reality. If the Gophers would've won the Final Five and beaten each team by 10 goals you would be saying they will breeze through the NCAA. However, they got embarassed (face it), but you "suppose" you would rather be in the Sioux's position. Admit it, your team just got rocketed into reality last weekend.

If Potulny doesn't play out of his mind and Briggs doesn't do anything different, your boys will have a difficult time against Holy Cross.

Potulny and Irmen lesser players than Stafford and Zajac? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. New Jersey and Buffalo would probably disagree with you too. I will give props to Potulny for having an outstanding goal scoring year, but two or three years down the road Potulny will have hanged them up, Irmen will be kicking around in Houston, while Stafford and Zajac are flying first class in the NHL.

If Potulny doesn't play out of his mind and Briggs doesn't do anything different, your boys will have a difficult time against Holy Cross.

You are delusional if you think Holy Cross has ANY chance at all. Ohio State(a bad team) beat them 4-0 while outshooting them 44-14.

but two or three years down the road Potulny will have hanged them up, Irmen will be kicking around in Houston, while Stafford and Zajac are flying first class in the NHL.

Even if that turns out to be true(which it definitely won't be), what does that have to do with who's better now?

Not to mention, the Philadelphia Flyers are dying to sign Potulny the second this season ends.

You are delusional if you think Holy Cross has ANY chance at all. Ohio State(a bad team) beat them 4-0 while outshooting them 44-14.

Tony Quesada (Holy Cross goalie) 2.18 GAA (11th in DI) and .928 S% (5th in DI).

Kellen Briggs (Minnesota goalie) 2.51 GAA (26th in DI) and .906 S% (46th in DI).

That's all you need to know.

Tony Quesada (Holy Cross goalie) 2.18 GAA (11th in DI) and .928 S% (5th in DI).

Kellen Briggs (Minnesota goalie) 2.51 GAA (26th in DI) and .906 S% (46th in DI).

That's all you need to know.

Actually, that's not even close to all you need to know. If Briggs is so bad than how did he go 3-0 vs. UND this year, and 2-0 at the Ralph?

Lets not forget that J Parise has something to prove himself! Last year he carried the team a long way, of course with the help of a strong UND team. Two years ago, same deal, couldn't find it against DU....not really his fault.

HOWEVER, one measuring stick of teams (and goaltenders) is their ability to finish out a season. I remember a lot of people mentioning that a championship was the one thing keeping them from putting Parise in the top 3 UND goalies of all time!

You know he remembers the last couple years. While those games were obviously not his fault, he has to be motivated just like the rest of the team. Parise will be ready, he's a wizard in the playoffs.

Anyone that was on the teams from the last two years wants desperately to continue winning, and the freshmen are playing so mature right now. It's gonna be great hockey to watch.

I based my crystal ball on the historical likelihood of playing in the NHL when you are not a top draft pick. There is no way, again NO WAY that Ryan Potulny will skate in the NHL. Does he have an NHL shot? Sure, but not the mobility. If Philly is dying to sign him, it is to their AHL affiliate. Irmen is a grinder and has more of a chance, but again, not a #1 draft pick, limiting his chances. These guys both went in the 3rd round.

Not to mention, the Philadelphia Flyers are dying to sign Potulny the second this season ends.

The only question, then, would be will Philly get out the pen Friday before dinner, or afterwards. :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I suppose I'd rather be in the Sioux's position, but I think the Gophs aren't in as much trouble as people are saying. In my opinion, the goaltending wasn't THAT bad on Friday. 3 or 4 of Briggs' goals were tipped in, which means we need to work a lot harder in our defensive zone at taking the body and breaking the puck out. If the whole team can do that, the goaltending falls into place.

I didn't get a chance to watch all of the championship game, but didn't St. Cloud handily outshoot the Sioux? It looked like St. Cloud was playing very tough, and that Goepfert had his worst weekend of his life, yet the Huskies made a game out of it by the end of the 2nd period. Although I think think the Sioux are a fine team, I'm not ready to say they are the favorite to win it all (same applies to the Gophs, however).

This whole tourney is pretty wide open. If Miami gets hot, the might have a shot.. if Wisco stays hot, they have a great chance. And it looks like BU is a real contender from out east. I can't wait for this weekend to come, we should all be treated with some amazing college hockey!!!

Yes, I think a tip-in goal is the defensemen's responsibility. In a 15 goal game, no one is playing much defense.

St. Cloud outshot the Sioux 40-29. 15-8 in the 3rd period. It was 5-2 at the end of 2, and their 3rd goal isn't something I would wish on any goaltender...bounces off the glass, darn near against your back, and into the goal...an odd goal nonetheless.

What concerns me is how the Sioux laid back in the 3rd trying to hold a lead. Granted, they got it done, but I don't think they are going to hold it like that against a MN, Mich, BU or BC in a national tournament. I can't help but think that even though they didn't show it on the ice, St. Cloud had to have been mentally and emotionally drained from Friday night.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to coast through this tournament. I give odds to a team like Wisco, if they can start playing again like the did at the beginning of the year. Or even a BU who got embarrassed by none other than my favorite team last year. MN might have a chance if the FF weekend was a fluke for them. I think they might build back some confidence playing against Holy Cross, however. I do think the Sioux have made some great strides this year, and they are capable of beating anyone, but I don't think that they've beat a good team playing at their best, either. I think the Wisco game is about the best I've seen a team play against them when the Sioux have won.

Just my thoughts: Lucia loses both games on purpose in the FF so that he doesn't have to play Bemidji. :ohmy:

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts, and my thoughts, only. I'll be looking for 4 more wins this year just like any good Sioux fan! :D

Oh my good Lord! :D Take off your maroon and gold blindfold and look at reality. If the Gophers would've won the Final Five and beaten each team by 10 goals you would be saying they will breeze through the NCAA. However, they got embarassed (face it), but you "suppose" you would rather be in the Sioux's position. Admit it, your team just got rocketed into reality last weekend.

:ohmy::D:D

Well, I stand by my team. We had one bad weekend. It was our first bad weekend since December. The timing of our questionable play worries me, as I would have preferred two strong efforts this weekend to prepare us for the tourney. Nonetheless, I'm still confident in my team. We played like crap Friday and still almost pulled one out, and although I would have preferred to see a little more effort Saturday, I'm just glad we got out of the game without any injuries.

We very well may have a difficult time with Holy Cross, but many Sioux faithful are assuming you'll easily handle Michigan on Friday. Michigan has the potential to give your boys a tough time, and if Parise is off his game, the Ugly Helmets may prevail. The Gophers have a lot of depth, as do the Sioux, which will help them in both games. The Gophers have played very well defensively for the bulk of the season; unfortunately, they played their worst defensive series since Wisco in early December this past weekend and they got spanked for it. It happens. It's happened to the Sioux this year, and they've mananged to bounce back. I know the Gophs have the potential to practice hard all week and put last week's disappointments behind them.

All in all, I'm very excited for this weekend, and think the Gophers have as good of a chance as any to advance to Milwaukee.

I would say odds of MN beating Holy Cross are in favor of Goldy 99 to 1. UND beating Michigan 70/30. UND and MN pretty much 50/50.

I totally agree.

As for the Potulny-Irmen Stafford-Zajac argument, I don't know enough about the Sioux players to make a sound case for your side. However, I believe Irmen will make a fine pro, while Potulny will have to work his way up through the minors and may never be a regular in the NHL (his skating has improved a lot this year, as he's been working out tons throughout the course of the season). But, who cares anyway? Lots of great college hockey players struggle to play in the big leagues, and we should enjoy these kids while they play for their respective schools.

Actually, that's not even close to all you need to know. If Briggs is so bad than how did he go 3-0 vs. UND this year, and 2-0 at the Ralph?

The Sioux are a completely different team than they were when they faced the Gophers. You can't deny that.

Would you like some more stats to prove that this game is closer than everyone thinks? I'll give them to you anyway, Bucky.

Holy Cross is 54th in DI when it comes to penalty minutes taken. That means that the Gophers won't have their beloved PP to lean on. Also, Holy Cross has the sixth best PP unit in DI, so the Gophers won't be able to goon it up.

Holy Cross made the tournament for a reason. They are 26-9-2 on the season, and I don't care what conference you are in that is good. Obviously, Minnesota is the better team, but Holy Cross is no push-over.

All I'm saying is that it's March and anything can happen. Even the "best college hockey team" (a.k.a the Gophers) can lose. It is possible.

As much as I hate the dynamic duo....

Potulny could make the NHL in much the same way as Bochenski did. He wasn't, and still isn't that great of a skater. However, after lighting up the AHL, you can't argue with that shot. I think the same could work for Potulny, if he puts in the effort.

rushmore, i hear ya on your analysis. if i was a gophs fan (thank fricken god im not) i would have a huge problem with my team laying down vs the badgers like a 2 dollar hooker. like you said you would rather have a little momentum even if it was the MEANINGLESS 3rd place game that your coach and players quit on before the puck was even dropped but oh well right...

michigan will not be a easy game by any means, for those who think its in the bag already better check theirselves. do i think we will win?? yes i do but not like i think the gophers will roll over holy cross. maybe the results will be switched with the sioux getting a nice victory while the gophs overlook holy cross and end up with a competitive game. probably not going to happen though.

the sioux and wolverines have top notch talent all over the ice. the X factor is jpar who is 13-4 in postseason games in his career and i believe he is the top goaile in the tourney right now. we all know you need a hot goiale and i feel jpar is on his game. GO SIOUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX